Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Glad you stumbled into the Conversation website it’s actually very informative. I use myself and have posted links in other threads, normally neigh sayers rubbish it though.

Grassland is a carbon sink and if it was left to its own devices ie not farmed intensively there wouldn’t be an issue however it isn’t. It’s disingenuous to compare tillage to grassland, perhaps this was done unintentionally however a true comparison would between arable and livestock farming and hands down livestock farming, beef, dairy which is the predominant type practised in Ireland , is worse for the environment then arable in terms of CO2, methane, ammonia etc.

Yes tillage uses artificial chemical fertilisers, so does livestock btw, and sprays etc and soil degradation with constant ploughing for example and monoculture crops year after year is not talked about as much but kilo for kilo the final product from livestock farming is much more detrimental on the environment.

using the current crises re potential food shortages as a mangled form of political football is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

That and the usual comedy club section busy "asking questions"

You'd think the greens would have all the answers as they want everyone to follow their dictates. But apparently not. Definitly strange goings all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

😂

Another rant against a poster just because I asked you a question. I guess we have another day of the same level of debate.

You're very welcome

Thats the thing if you don't disturb grassland it acts as a carbon sink. Disturbance is things like ploughing and cultivation of soils.

And of course ploughing etc would just release large amounts of that C02. So agreed its definitely not as black or white as the issue is usually portrayed. And in Ireland of course the situation is complicated because only a portion of our soils are really suitable for tillage.

Btw I never mentioned "livestock" just grassland in my comment, but afaik (it was in another Conversation article I'll see if I can locate it) with regenerative agriculture, grazing animals inc livestock or herds of wild grazers can actually increase the amount of carbon locked away in grassland reducing the impact of raising animals etc. And that's a good thing imho

Edit: it was actually a link in one of the above articles

Seth Itzkan — founder of Massachusetts-based Planet Tech Consultans, a consulting firm specializing in restoration ecology — advocates Holistic Planned Grazing (HPG)... In this practice, livestock are managed as a tool for large-scale land restoration, mimicking the herding and grazing patterns of wild ruminants that coevolved with grassland ecosystems. Animals are moved so that no plants are overgrazed, and grazing stimulates biological activity in the soil. Their waste adds fertility, and as they move in a herd their trampling aerates soil, presses in seeds, and pushes down dead plant matter so it can be acted upon by soil microorganisms. All of this generates soil carbon, plant carbon, and water retention. 

https://e360.yale.edu/features/soil_as_carbon_storehouse_new_weapon_in_climate_fight

That would be the question I answered yes? But you're not going to bother answering the question I asked first? Well there's a surprise

Btw the "rant" was your own and simply paraphrased from your comment 😅.

• Advertisement

No you didn’t say livestock because that would have negated your closing point.

The current methodology of intensive dairy with fertiliser application, mono culture grass and 23 day pasture turn around does not lend itself to carbon capture.

min till methods are used widely in Britain and Europe re cultivation because farmers understand the benefits of soil management. Indeed multi culture grasses are coming back here now but Ireland is about a decade behind re the business of farming.

You keep repeating the same old stuff without ever reading poster comments

The poster did not mention the green party here. He referred to "green policies" with a graph of European energy prices in the first half of 2021

We already know that in the EU each country gets to decide its own energy mix, however energy costs are set by means of the EU green marginal price policy which pegs electricity costs to the dearest components of any mix - which are fossil fuels which are penalised and heavily taxed and these costs are in turn reflected in each EU countries electricity prices

So yeah the poster is correct and yet you've managed to go on yet another irrelevant rant about the greens not being in power yada yada yada

Interesting, so while answering for another poster who couldn't answer themselves. You also seem to have the ability to read the other posters mind. Not sure why you accuse someone asking for clarification as a rant? do you understand what the word rant means?

No wasn't mentioned because it wasn't relevant to that comment. You brought it up to go off on down your own avenue. But no matter.

And I can tell you from living in the UK min till is not widely used. Huge fields owned by commercial agricultural companies using massive machinery to intensively plough and cultivate the soil has been the norm.

But I guess like newer practices of minimum tillage, regenerative agriculture, multi species swards etc including lower stocking rates for livestock farmers are starting to make an impact and that's a good thing imho.

The one other thing which is relevant here is that on average the scale of farming and industrial farming in both in the UK and many countries in Europe is larger compared to here. Most farms in Ireland are still family owned and are fairly small compared to the average farms in those countries.

Mecanudo : “however energy costs are set by means of the EU green marginal price policy which pegs electricity costs to the dearest components of any mix - which are fossil fuels which are penalised and heavily taxed

1 Can you suggest another way setting energy costs 🤔

2 Is your statement not the very reason why fossil fuels, eg LNG need to be eliminated from the system to drive prices down if not to mitigate the effects of climate change.🤔

• Advertisement

Ah I'm sorry. Is pointing out that your comment was glaringly incorrect now somehow against the rules of discussion? Deary me and no need for "reading minds" either, the detail in the posters comment is easily understood.

Look I get it you'd like to convert everyone to your opinion that the green party are all wonderful and the greens here never did nothing ( and you'd be correct if by that you mean any constructive). However constantly starting arguments over the most trivial things and badgering posters really doesn't work.

And btw I borrowed the word 'rant' because you've been throwing it around at all and sundry. I just thought I give it back lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Any reason why they can't put the solar panels in the empty spaces around the turbines on the windfarms, would negate the need for new powerlines etc..

1. Its a statement of fact. That is how electricity costs are set. I do know that several EU countries are highly critical of that method being used. And as far as I know there are alternatives to pricing. Maybe the EU will have to revisit that.

2. It remains that some fossil fuels namely natural gas are essential to the transition towards renewable energy generation and beyond. The prices of electricity is rising and will rise further because of the volatile situation with natural gas atm with regards to Russia etc and increased competition for an increasingly scarce resource and unfortunately thats going to mean that people get screwed with those rising electricity costs.

You seem to think you can answer for other posters, I would never be so bold as try and tell someone else what their opinion is.

In terms of Green party are all wondering and Greens here never did nothing. When did anyone say that?

If you are looking for a rant, that post is an excellent example. No details, nothing to further the conversation, just attack a poster and base none of it on actual fact. It is similar to all your posts.

I replied to your reply just the way posters do. The OP comment was a simple factual post and easily understood.

And you're off again with another 'rant'. I'll leave you to it.

Mecanudo said this art 12:41am on the 27th: ” and the fact the cultivation and tillage of soil for horticulture and tillage results in significantly higher C02 emissions than grassland with the result that the greens are going to have a very steep learning curve in the next couple of year.

This is a political attack a half arsed one but none the less it is. You disingenuously compare tillage/arable farming to grassland farming in a manner that's akin to comparing football to sports. Grassland farming is just that watching the grass grow, not many farmers do this in fact 98% of "grassland farmers are actually in the livestock game that is dairy, beef, sheep etc. Given your statement above, which when translated from pigeon 🐦️ to English is saying that the greens will get a shock when emissions skyrocket because of all the extra cultivation that's going to happen due to the expected shortage of food as a result of the war in Ukraine. In reality of course livestock farming which take place on grassland in Ireland is much worse for the environment than arable, that's just a fact.

^^^^ Banana Republic 1 said this at 5.28 pm on the 27th!

Ah banana would you ever give it a rest. It's not a competition.

"Political attack" my rear end. Its a discussion. As per the title of the thread "GREEN" POLICIES ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY". And as has been shown in this thread - that statement has been shown to have validity.

The greens have shown they know feq all about either rural affairs or indeed agriculture imo. And yes they are indeed going to have a steep learning curve if anyone is going to take them seriously in the next couple of years.

Look if you wish to go off on a spiel about how awful livestock is or whatever fine. The point made and the point which stands is that tillage which is NOW being promoted is most certainly NOT the benign activity that some advocates are pushing. Cultivation and by that I mean tillage, ploughing etc is a major source of emissions of CO2. And yes it would seem livestock on grassland can help sequester even more C02 into grassland which helps mitigate emissions there and that's good for us because the absolute majority of land in Ireland is NOT suitable for tillage.

There's fuq all you can do to mitigate the known high levels of carbon emissions from large areas being ploughed and cultivated. So swings and roundabouts, and even more swings and roundabouts Banana!

Agh Mecanudo, Mecanudo 🤦‍♂️I thought we were past this deflection-ism 😮‍💨

Mecanudo : “however energy costs are set by means of the EU green marginal price policy which pegs electricity costs to the dearest components of any mix - which are fossil fuels which are penalised and heavily taxed

I put to questions two you based on your statement above ^

1 Can you suggest another way setting energy costs 🤔

2 Is your statement not the very reason why fossil fuels, eg LNG need to be eliminated from the system to drive prices down if not to mitigate the effects of climate change.🤔

1 Instead of coming back with a suggestion on an alternate method of energy pricing, which I could investigate, you come back with:

Mecanudo : 1. Its a statement of fact. That is how electricity costs are set. I do know that several EU countries are highly critical of that method being used. And as far as I know there are alternatives to pricing. Maybe the EU will have to revisit that"

I'll put it to you another way if you know what the "alternatives to pricing are"as you suggest tell me them so I can investigate your recommendations.

2 I put it to you, following your statement above^^, that you have given the exact reason why we need to get out of the fossil fuel burning game. But instead of coming back with an answer you regurgitate a statement that some stuffed shirt politician gives when they don't have an answer in other words spoofing.

Well Banana I made a true statement about how electricity generation costs in Europe are calculated. Unless you are now saying that statement isn't true? 🤔

Now you say you'd like to "investigate(my)recommendations" Lol .

1. I'm sure you would. I didnt make any "recommendations" btw. But if you really like to investigate the issue off you go

2. The only "spoofing" is your own comments

No one is biting 🍌

This stands btw.

It remains that some fossil fuels namely natural gas are essential to the transition towards renewable energy generation and beyond. The prices of electricity is rising and will rise further because of the volatile situation with natural gas atm with regards to Russia etc and increased competition for an increasingly scarce resource and unfortunately thats going to mean that people get screwed with those rising electricity costs.

You're welcome 🙏

This sums up your journey on here on this POLITICAL thread

Mecaundo said, just know "There's fuq all you can do to mitigate the known high levels of carbon emissions from large areas being ploughed and cultivated. So swings and roundabouts"

Is there is "fuq all you can do" why my friend did you bring it up in the first place this morning at 12:41 am

Mecanudo said this art 12:41am on the 27th: ” and the fact the cultivation and tillage of soil for horticulture and tillage results in significantly higher C02 emissions than grassland with the result that the greens are going to have a very steep learning curve in the next couple of year.

Your all over the road man!

• Advertisement

Mecanudo : 1. Its a statement of fact. That is how electricity costs are set. I do know that several EU countries are highly critical of that method being used. And as far as I know there are alternatives to pricing. Maybe the EU will have to revisit that"

What are they brain box.

Mecanudo :1. I'm sure you would. I didnt make any "recommendations" btw. But if you really like to investigate the issue off you go

No you didn't make any recommendations cause you haven't one CLUE what your on about. You made those two statements within in the same day I might add and your there swinging like a garden hose. Its completely farcical, and the other three stooges bobbing there heads like pigeons. Laugh out load!!! what a load of Bollix,

^^^^Banana Republic said this at 6.01 pm m on the 27th!!!!!

Oh its a political thread? Are we in the politics forum? My bad!

Well I'm sorry I will ask permission of you before bringing up anything in future! Is that acceptable? And maybe just maybe as per the point made advocates for these green policies who seem to know fuq all about agriculture or indeed the issues with CO2 emissions from tillage etc will indeed have to learn the hard way!

Why did I bring it up lol? Because I wanted to! Because this is boards.ie where its perfectly possible to write comments. Because I replied to another poster (not in reply to anything you said btw)! If you don't like it. Tough. Banana. Now hand me the shovel and step away from the very large hole you're digging yourself there. Before you fall in head first and we won't be able to get to you 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

BUT WHAT ABOUT GAS 😂

I’m an agricultural Engineer and you wouldn’t know a shovel if it hit you in the face. 🤦‍♂️

It wasn’t hard to flush you out.

Your a spoofer and it’s been established, spoof on sir, spoof on 😉

Banana Republic 1 also said this said!!! said this

"No you didn't make any recommendations cause you haven't one CLUE what your on about. You made those two statements within in the same day I might add and your there swinging like a garden hose. Its completely farcical, and the other three stooges bobbing there heads like pigeons. Laugh out load!!! what a load of Bollix"

Stay classy Banana!

Except one major thing. You've failed to show anything which was stated was "spoof" other than you claiming it so. So to that, lol.

Btw do you mean agricultural engineer who knows about "shovels" like this?

"Agricultural engineers make the engineering designs and plans in an agricultural project, usually in partnership with an agriculturist who is more proficient in farming and agricultural science"

Thats nice, but overall fairly irrelevant tbf.

But I'm afraid my dear Banana I'll have to leave you there as I can no longer take anything in those comments with a straight face anymore.

Keep digging down, keep digging down 🍌

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Don't be daft were not allowed to talk about gas or agriculture or energy prices - well just about anything really 😁

Interesting because multiple posters including myself have raised multiple topics and yet all get shut down very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There was an article in the post today, Wind lobby giving out. But I picked up this nugget about the situation in Eirgrid all talk and no action.

The Business Post has learned that Eirgrid has experienced an exodus of senior technical staff over the last few years and is struggling to replace them with others that have the requisite experience. Many staff are not being brought in from outside Europe, as Eirgrids pay packets are cot competitive enough to draw in Irish candidates in the current market.

The mass departures are understood to be down to low morale within the company, "horror" at "dangerous" plans to put high voltage cables underground in an effort to avoid a backlash from communities, a highly competitive market for energy expertise and disillusion with the lack of delivery on actual grid infrastructure upgrades over the last decade.

One Eirgrid source said they had been "effectively nothing built by the organisation for ten years" and there was a culture of producing strategies, but not actully building new infrastructure. Others referenced the GRID25 project, major grid upgrade project launched by Eamon Ryan back in 2008 when he was last a minister, an how "not a single piece of it was ever delivered". Another said that if GRID25 had been delivered. "We would be in a much better position today than we are"

Source: Sunday Business Post, 27 March 2022

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

An interesting perspective. Although a random check of the thread seems to show a different story

Here for example whilst posters were discussing the multiple issues of ongoing energy needs, LNG and natural gas exploration - were not infrequently met with the following type of commentary

"Kind of pointless calling the thread Green policies Should be just Green energy. Especially when the discussion is the same "what about gas"

"Wow a post without any mention of gas."

"It's 5 days now and we are still on "wHaT aBoUt gAs?"

"You are back onto gas again"

Funny thing is I don't see anyone getting "shut down" outside that.  Posters discussing what they wished to discuss in a thread  is fairly standard afaik. 

• Advertisement

Just checking do you have a point to this post?

FYI if you want to trawl back over my posts why not pick out the ones on the public bank? 🤦‍♂️

Advertisement