Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Oh there'll be plenty of conversation but none of it will likely mean much. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't try; but I just don't see how we ever get to a point there are no or very few nuclear weapons in the world.

I mean right now Russia is even less likely to ever consider reducing its nuclear arsenal since their conventional forces have been shown up. Although I suppose it's possible if they decide to play nice with the world again they might use it as leverage to drop sanctions or whatever.

Quantity matters too. NK isn't being attacked after threatening America with nuclear attack because it has nuclear weapons, but because China/Russia 'has its back'.

NK threatens Soul, but I don't think this is the primary reason for NK not being attacked by the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@[Deleted User]

NK threatens Soul

OK, well just so long as they don't go after Funk as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I find it interesting how Truss and Blinken are talking about the sanctions only lasting while the invasion is ongoing and will be removed when Russia withdraws. There's a realisation imo that this war is unwinnable for Ukraine. Also there's very significant costs for the European economy coming fast. Now that Biden's trip produced nothing significant and he's back in Washington I expect significant efforts to produce a peace deal within the next week. Otherwise Russia despite suffering severe setbacks so far will continue to escalate matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lucky you. I've been stuck half in and out of the airing cupboard, lying on bare concrete at times, fixing a leak, not to mention doing the laundry. Out in the sun - I wish.

• Advertisement

The DM is infested with huge numbers of putabots. I suspect every Russian embassy has mutiple people who work in shifts, 24/7, trying to bend the narrative in Russia's favour posing as locals, let alone the main centre that was revealed in St Petersburg.

That's just the second one in St Petersburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

It's all very well enjoying the sun on the first long evening weekend of the year but you'll be sorry when your clothes washing & drying sequence is in complete disarray for the rest of the week. It's just not worth the disruption. I bet you're the type of person whose socks aren't all the same colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's interesting. I assumed it was just right wing / far right Brexity types but Putin-bots could just as easily explain a lot of it too. There seems to be loads and loads of them, describing Zelensky as a warmonger and a troublemaker and getting hundreds of upticks for each comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The "internet research agency (IRA)"

Poor choice or initialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Because he wanted to remove the current government and replace it with a pro Russian puppet one and keep Ukrainia under permanent Russian control.

He convinced himself it would be a walk in the park but has seriously miscalculated the whole invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Ukraine may have to permanently give up Donbas and Crimea and sign some sort of deal with Russia. As soon as the ink is dry the rest of Ukraine should be admitted to NATO and the EU. With lots of weapons and western money pumped into Ukraine. Russia would know then that any further encroachment would be like moving into any other NATO territory.

That's the trick - Boris in cubicle 7 says something on a site and then sends a msg via the intranet to the other cubicles who all get the link and then go to Boris' comment and upvote it, and Joe public who can scarcely think for himself gets an impression that the societal general opinion is that Putin is good and Zelensky is bad.

It's depressing how much of it is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Long road to go on that. Russia are trying to shore up land bridge to crimea.

Losing all of that coast would be unacceptable to any country.

Ukraine will tell Russia to go swing for it. As they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

OK, I've reflected on it.........you probably need to brush up on your command of English .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Will it matter though, how are they going to get that land back, especially when a lot of those people identify as Russian. The danger is Russia will come back for more. They need to be in NATO. It’s terrible they might have to do that but realistically what other options are open to Ukraine..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Russia won't accept Ukraine joining NATO unless they're totally defeated on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭jackboy

It won’t be solely down to Ukraine. If the west negotiates a potential solution with Russia then they may pressurise Ukraine into accepting. I don’t think anyone really believes the west give a damn about Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The west won't be negotiating on behalf of Ukraine.

Any solution will be only achieved with Ukraine's blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@AyeGer - Ukraine may have to permanently give up Donbas and Crimea and sign some sort of deal with Russia.

Would you give up half your back garden to your neighbour because he threatened to shoot you? If you did, knowing you're a soft touch he'd likely be back for the other half some time in the future.

You don't appease bullies. You confront them.

Thousands of people have laid down their lives in Ukraine, millions displaced and most of the country destroyed, and all for what if you just let Putin take what he wants.

In a fair and free vote, with no recriminations, I'll wager the majority of Russians would vote against war. This is not Russia's war it's Putin's war. A devious, lying and tyrannical despot who's doing a land grab to take back what he perceives as Russian land, and to tell the world how important he is... when in reality he's not.

The nuclear threat wont go away so how much rope do you give him? He'll use them soon enough or in the near future because that's all he's got. So why should the world wait and hold its breath, and then retaliate when that happens.

The Ukranians are doing the right thing. They said they would fight to the last man, and by God that's what they're doing. It's their land and they'll defend it to the last.

• Advertisement

Yeah but they may be pressurised to give their blessing. They are receiving mountains of aid from the west and their refugees are being well looked after. Ukraine may have to pay a price for that. Zelensky throwing abuse at western leaders may come back to bite him also. what is going on is much bigger than Ukraine.

@jackboy

I don’t think anyone really believes the west give a damn about Ukraine.

You'd have to be hard-hearted to look at the situation in Ukraine and not feel quite bad for the ordinary people caught up in it, number one. Number two, the war in Ukraine is more than just a regional war, it's also a theatre in the struggle between authoritarianism and liberal democracy. As Ukraine has tried to move its allegiance westward, Russia is using force to prevent that. Russia's success there would only embolden them and would also embolden other authoritarian regimes to use force to promote their ideology, that ideology being about total unaccountable power and control. So, it's very much in our interest to see Russia fail miserably in Ukraine, and to help that outcome with lots of foreign aid to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I'm not being smart but Ukraine have already paid twice over, firstly by fighting bravely, secondly by suffering the deaths and maimings of their citizens and the decimation of their beautiful cities and towns

The West know that Ukraine is doing their heavy lifting for them. The West is also offering more by threatening a "severe response" if Spew Tin uses chemical weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Joe Bidens call for regime change in Russia was a game changer, for 5 minutes until the white house said he was asleep during his speech, now his speech is nullified

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Whether it was deliberate or not, that speech did do something. It says forced regime change is not on the cards.....yet but it is in play. Gives Putin the option to stop now before he goes further.

The west don’t care about any of that. The west or Russia do not want NATO to directly get involved so there will have to be a solution. Russia will settle for a chunk of Ukraine and the west may pressurise Ukraine to accept that. Ultimately that will be a defeat for Russia as besides their nukes, their military will not be a credible threat for decades.

Calling for a regime change isn't particularly controversial, and Moscow hasn't really responded much to what Biden said, anyway, other than giving a short statement about it being up to the Russian people to decide who gets power over there. Out of those in the West, only a few extremists contrarians would like anything other than to see the back of Putin, so there is large agreement with the statement that Putin cannot remain in power, but as ever critics will take the most extreme interpretation of the words in order to attack Biden. Luckily, those of us in the West largely recognise the need for unity at the present time and so can temporarily leave aside the petty b*tching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just seeing a

Northrop Grumman RQ-4B Global Hawk which is a 'remotely-piloted surveillance aircraft.'

Doing the rounds on flight radar.

My first time seeing it. Looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The more I see what the Russian state forces are doing in Ukraine - the more I am of a mind that they and Putin should be bombed into oblivion and beyond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And hasnt Putin called for regime change in Ukraine...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement