Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Svitolina had been going downhill before the war so considering everything that has happened since then it’s no surprise to see her lose but losing to Heather Watson is a new low.

We can all see that fitness and stamina are the biggest problems for Radacanu, her Covid interrupted pre season hasn’t helped. She really needs to get a few points on board though, she’s defending a lot of points at Wimbledon so the clay court season needs to go well for her. The slow clay courts invariably lead to longer matches so her lack of fitness will be even more apparent.

Osaka has Muchova - who is on the comeback trail from injury- next. Muchova had at tight win over Fernandez.

Iga Swiatek plays Golubic tonight and a win will see her top the rankings after Miami. Hope she can take the extra pressure.

Kyrgios vs Rublev this evening might be interesting

Whatever about Kyrgios being an eejit he's good to watch on court.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

So the British media have destroyed Radacanu and she's not even 20.

Just wait till the BBC meltdown at Wimbledon 22 ... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw from the end of the first set of the Emma Radacanu match and her opponent was in tears with the trainer and I did will she win with her opponent but a common theme emerged, which was her energy level sank and she lost a second set she shouldn’t have because Siniakova couldn’t move properly and was having running commentaries with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Kyrgios is making light work of Rublev. Imagine what Kyrgios could achieve if committed himself go the sport.

• Advertisement

23rd Top 10 win for Kyrgios

From a break-down at 1-2 he served and hit Rublev off the court in a WTA-rivalling 52 minutes

Huge display but being Kyrgios no guarantee that he will turn up on the next day out.

Daniela Hantuchova a pleasingly svelte upgrade for the Amazon coverage compared to the other options!

Fognini next - could get fiery there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And with that 6-2 6-0 demolition of Golubic, Swiatek is the new World #1!

She took becoming a grand slam champion in her stride, interested to see how she'll cope with an even bigger target on her back. I actually think she'll be fine though, I'm feeling reasonably confident she'll cope well and maybe even get grand slam #2 before the year's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Even at this late stage in his career, if someone somehow could get him to really focus and commit properly, he'd become a slam contender, he has the talent and ability, just the attitude is all wrong. Not going to happen but would love to see what he's really capable of if he gave it similar commitment and focus as the other top players. A waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Iga wasn’t messing around tonight, I hope she can cope with the pressure, she comes across as a lovely person and her game has really moved up a level this season so even if Barty hadn’t retired I’m sure she would have been aiming for No. 1. The fact that she’s already a Grand Slam champion at least spares us from the slamless No. 1 conversation. It would be great for the Wta if her and Badosa could develop a consistent rivalry.

I don’t know was Rublev absolutely awful tonight or was it the fact that Kyrios totally upset his rhythm. It was a crushing defeat and Kyrios/Fognini should be an absolute cracker. I checked out the head to head and they have only played each other once which Nick won in straight sets.

From the interviews I’ve seen of her make me feel she’s mature beyond her years and should be fine.

• Advertisement

That is what is so frustrating about kyrgios is wasting of his talent. How many people would love to just a bit of the talent he has? Just imagine what he could have achieved already if he has shown even 50% more commitment? I think of Ash Barty who has committed a few years has won 3 slams and was world number 1 and now she has retired happy with what she has achieved. If kyrgios committed himself for a few years he could retire in a couple of years with a slam or 2 and numerous atp tour wins.

That other Serb Kecmanovic making more strides this year after a decent showing at the AO

Beat Berrettini at IW and another Top 10 scalp in consecutive weeks now as he took apart FAA here in Miami

The coaching tie-up with Nalbandian paying dividends

Motivation and drive is an unknown with many

Kyrgios is already worth $10 million or so - he'll be comfortable for life

Does seem to be fitter and more motivated in these US Masters tournaments - but he has done well enough there in the past, that's why probably

Hasn't been to RG since 2017 so not exactly a big surprise that he's not doing clay

Who knows how he will return for Wimbledon

The current venue for the Miami masters is terrible. Let's hope they go back to Key Biscayne some day.

Another win for Cameron Norrie. He may not have the prettiest or most exciting of games but he is getting the results.

Looking forward to this Kyrgios/Fognini match. It will be a great match if the first game is anything to go by.

Azarenka has just walked off court against a 16 year old in the second set. No reason given just conceded and left.

I saw that alert but was watching the F1.she was in tears at a match at Indian wells where the chair umpire got down and walked over to her. She was balling crying which I haven’t heard a reason for. I wonder if its connected to that.

No one knows. She just left the court and didn't give a reason for it. I wouldn't be surprised if its all linked and something isn't right off the court. There doesn't seem to be a sign of injury. They were saying on commentary that she was shouting at her box "what am I doing out here".

Azarenka recently deactivated both her Instagram and Twitter profiles, so there's clearly something going on off court. Being stripped of her nationality probably not helping matters either.

Linda Fruhvirtova is the elder sister of 14 year old hot prospect Brenda.

• Advertisement

Kyrgios makes short work of Fognini

Surely the gangly Sinner is next.

They've never played each other thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Sinner v Carreno Busta was one of the best matches of the year ... amazing.

Sinner saved 5 MP's, won it 5-7 7-5 7-5

This is the incident in Indian wells I mentioned earlier. That’s not normal and you expect it from the Naomi Osaka’s of the world but from Victoria Azarenka. I’ve know she left the court today but haven’t seen it but I assume it’s in a similar vein.

Kyrgios vs that Italian chap who wears his shorts up very high coming up now

Kyrgios is the oldest player left in the draw, amazingly. He'll be 27 next month. Sinner is the youngest at 20.

Alcaraz at still 18 would like a word 😅

Ah ffs 🙈 Could've sworn they said Sinner was the youngest in an on-screen graphic before the match, but I was too lazy to fact check it. Pretty sure Kyrgios is definitely the oldest though.

That no-look pass from Kyrgios in game 7 was filthy.

Kyrgios going off on one here for no discernible reason

Good match so far though.

• Advertisement

He has gone off on one because in one of the games the umpires walkie talkie started squawking and the point was replayed. I think Kyrgios is always looking for a reason to carry on.

Advertisement