Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ESB Smart Electricity Meters

Options
  • 16-03-2022 7:45pm

Has anyone had a new ESB Smart electricity metre fitted?

I'm hearing that the new metres give much higher readings than older meters and significantly, that the customer is not obliged to get a new Smart meter fitted?

Apparently there has been a lot of customer concern nationally, but I haven't heard anything as yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Not sure what you mean by higher reading.

24hr metre - 1 tariff

Day/Night metre - 2 tariffs

Smart metre - 3 tariffs - day/night/peak.

The peak period is the killer, a very high rate, when you are using appliances to make dinner, etc. You are not using more, you are just being charged more for peak usage. The kwh used will be the same.

• Thanks for that. I meant to say increased bills. I'm not intending to dodge paying for what I'm using, but I have heard that older metres can only record a maximum use at any time.

I'm rather hoping to reduce my bills by the new metre as I'm paying a regular €160 month in a 3 bed semi-d with 2 occupants using a very old meter.

I've always thought that was more than it should be, and we're careful enough with its use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Worth reading this thread & doing your own sums on whether changing to a smart meter makes sense for you.

Overall they are not designed to benefit the consumer but make you more aware of what you are using & in turn change your own usage,

Rather than actually saving you any money by just changing to one.

BTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

are they not compulsory to have changed over or will be soon anyway so you cannot refuse to be changed over in the end?

• Not compulsory at the moment Andy. I'm hearing a good few reports of an immediate and significant rise in bills, but I'm taking those with a pinch of salt. However a pal who works in the industry, advised me not to change to smart meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's something big on the horizon as I heard an ad on local radio by MDE Installations looking for qualified electricians in Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim to install smart meters for ESB Networks.

We had ours installed in Feb by MDE they were doing all in our area - even fitting them in the pouring rain on some houses I see them do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I believe we are obliged to change the meter. It is the property of the ESB and we cannot stop them from accessing their property. It is part of the agreement between the ESB and property owners.

You can try saying no, but they'll just get a court order if they really want to change it. No judge will side with you on this. People went through the same thing a few years ago when SIRO were running cables everywhere for broadband. They had to get permission from home owners to run the cable along the top of everyone's house, but since it was an ESB project it was happening either way.

Have a relative in Mayo who had theirs changed last year and their unit usage has increased. It depends on how old your house/meter is. If you've had the same meter for decades then, as with anything mechanical, it is going to wear over the years and slow down. The new digital meters will track your usage with 100% accuracy which is why bills are going up.

I just popped out and see if the smart meter had changed its time 1hour forward spring... and yep it did anyway.

I found this on the youtube, if its got the required wireless module in the meter (which I presume it will have ) then there would/should be a facility to check all the details including meter reading through your mobile phone - now, whether ESB will allow its customers to actually do that is another thing ...

2 points Id like to address. ESB / Siro cant force their cables on anyone without the householders consent. I have personal experience of this where i refused them access to my property.

You also claim that the smart meters are driving up the bills. Well no actually. All electricity bills are going up several times a year and has everything to do with the wholesale cost of energy and nothing to do with the type of meters.

• Advertisement

There are statutory laws protecting the ESB which they can invoke if they really want to. In your case they just weren't bothered. One of my neighbors consistently refused to allow UPC/Virgin to run a cable across the top of her house years ago and that was the end of that because they could do nothing legally. She also said no to the ESB 4 years ago, but a few months later they were back to do it anyway. I went over this with a solicitor less than a month ago.

You also claim that the smart meters are driving up the bills. Well no actually. All electricity bills are going up several times a year and has everything to do with the wholesale cost of energy and nothing to do with the type of meters.

I said the unit usage increased. The price of electricity is a completely separate issue. Of course the euro amount also increased with all the price hikes over the past 18 months, but the actual unit usage increased 15% because the smart meter was accurately tracking their electricity usage. The 40 year old mechanical meter before it was essentially giving them a discount. That's why people are complaining about having to upgrade. They aren't being overcharged though, they are just being accurately charged.

You actually said this ... "The new digital meters will track your usage with 100% accuracy which is why bills are going up"

I think you need to differentiate between the ESB being the statutory body empowered by the state to provide electricity as opposed to the ESB being shareholders / part owners of a private company set up to provide broadband. They have no statutory rights with regards to the provision of a broadband service to any premises whether domestic or commercial.

You actually said this ... "The new digital meters will track your usage with 100% accuracy which is why bills are going up"

That is exactly what is happening.

For example, if you use 1 unit of electricity the old, slow meter might have only counted 0.89 units. Replace that meter with the new digital meter and it will track your usage accurately and the bill you get will be higher.

My relatives in Mayo averaged 740 units used every 2 months in the 12 months of bills I looked over before their smart meter was installed. In the first 6 months after getting the smart meter installed their average units used was 855 every 2 months. 15% increase. In reality, their usage was always around 850 units but the old meter was slow, only detecting 740 units and essentially giving them free electricity.

The cost of electricity has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I am tracking units, not € cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

You can opt-out of the getting a smart meter if you want. I've done it myself for the moment.

"Are smart meters compulsory in Ireland?

No! If you do not want to have your meter upgraded to a smart meter, you have the legal right to refuse one. To opt-out of getting a smart meter in Ireland, contact ESB Networks to let them know. You will need to provide your MPRN. You can find this 11-digit number on your electricity bill.

Keep in mind, you would miss out on the benefits a smart meter offers. There is also no guarantee that future smart meter installation requests will be free of cost, as is currently the case."

https://selectra.ie/energy/guides/meters/smart-meters-ireland

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Thanks. This is worth doing to at least delay it so I'll try calling tomorrow. Is it the 1800 372 757 number you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I got my smart meter fitted back in June. I'm currently with Bord Gais Energy (electricity and gas) but now out off contract so on standard rates.

When I log in to my account they show me smart packages that I can switch over to if I want.

I think I'll just switch to maybe Energia. Will they try and force me to pick a smart meter package because I have a smart meter?

I hear once you go on a smart package you can't switch back to a regular package.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭POBox19

I'm with Electric Ireland and just before my contract ended they installed a smart meter. Out of contract and the bills are horrific, particularly the standing charge which has gone from 31.26c to 68.38c excl.vat per day. They have linked the standing charge to the fuel cost, but when fuel goes down it doesn't. That's a rip off.

If you allow them to activate smart metering of your usage it can never be switched off.

Im interested in the pros and cons of the smart meters. I havent got one yet but Im hearing various good and bad stories about them so its hard to decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moomoo75

Hi our Bill's are very high. We dont have a smart meter. We have a day/night meter so the units used at night are a little cheaper. We have an old 3 bed semi with 5 people in it. 2 adults 3 teens. All have electric gadgets etc and the teens are a fright for long showers. We have gas heating but use our electricity for cooking. Our last bill was €340 for 2 months. Can others out there with a similar sized house hold give me an idea of their Bill's please? Thank you.

• @Moomoo.

That bill sounds about right, especially with 3 teenagers.

My average bill used to be €320 every two months but has dropped to €220/€240 every two months with the kids gone. About half of that is the standing charge.

But from the sounds of it, there’s set to be major price increases over the next year. Which we’ll all have to take on the chin. But I fear some folk won’t be able to put the electric fire on during cold months

Have you checked with your provider that you are on the best available rate?

I’m with Airtricity and you have to renew your contact with them every year to retain the ‘discounted’ rate. If you don’t renew, they put you on their higher standard rate. About an extra 10 or 15%. (I can’t remember the discounted rate just now).

• Advertisement
Advertisement