Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Finally, something we can agree on.

See, jokes aren't that hard. Just keep it simple lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

I think it's interesting that the sports where well known women have come out against trans women competing against women are ones where there isn't the same, or as big, a disparity in resources and participation rates between men and women. I'm thinking of athletics (Sonia O'Sullivan), swimming (Sharron Davies) and tennis (Martina Navratilova) At least, I haven't heard the same kind of controversies as have wracked soccer and rugby for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In elite sports, for example at Olympic level, there is a definitive difference between male and female records, the reason is that the average elite male athlete will be slightly stronger and taller than the average elite female athlete-even in cases where male & female athletes have had equal access to training and funding e.g. Team GB. It's widely accepted that the ceiling for female athletes is slightly lower than male athletes because on average elite males have slight physical advantages over their female counterparts. This doesn't mean women are inferior to men, it's just the way it is. Many elite females will often be technically better than their male counterpart at their chosen sport, but, because of the physical advantage their male conuterpart generally have they would still do better than their female counterpart.

An elite female will absolutely destroy the average guy in their chosen sport, but, when up against an elite male counterpart in their chosen sport they will generally lose out, e.g. Serena Williams in her prime would not beat Federer, Nadal or Djokovic in their prime, but, would wipe the floor with any good amateur male player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"That’s why the same arguments you’re using that were used to justify discrimination against women on the basis that they were inferior to men as a consequence of the biological differences between men and women, and men’s proven superiority in activities where they dominated, and the same arguments that were used again to demonstrate white societies superiority over blacks, again using specious argument, which it was claimed were based upon scientific evidence and couldn’t be disputed, and any attempt to do so was an indignity to the achievements of women or black people and whatever the case may be, as an attempt to elevate your argument beyond criticism."

You've finally convinced me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nobody is espousing that anyone be permitted to take PED

That is what Bannasidhe was arguing over and over.

Bannasidhe was arguing nothing of the sort. But this is the kind of disingenuous rubbish the 'biology side' continually resorts to which shows how weak their "it's about fairness in sport" stance is. It has feck all do with with women's sport. Women's sport has just become a hook to hang their transphobic 'concerns' - a screen behind which they think they can safely punch down on a tiny minority.

Bannasidhe asked if the 'biology' side believed transgender men who have medically transitioned should compete in women's events. A perfectly reasonable question under the circumstances.

Bannasidhe further stated that , as a former rugby player, I would prefer to play against a transgender woman that a transgender man. Precisely because I have seen after effects of medical transition many many times.

Bannasidhe pointed out that there are occasions where athletes are permitted to take otherwise prohibited drugs while competing depending on individual circumstances so the rules are not written in stone. I did not write the rules. I am simply pointing out there is flexibility built in to the system.

At absolutely no point did Bannasidhe state, argue, comment, infer, imply, that anyone be permitted to take any substance with the intentions of enhancing their performance. If anyone considers transgender men take hormones simply to "enhance their performance" that says more about that person's mindset than the athlete in question.

Furthermore - transgender women taking hormone blockers is the exact opposite of PED so how do you explain Bannsidhe's "arguing" in favour of that?

• Advertisement

Transmen can compete in women's sports until they start taking testosterone at that point purely from a sporting point of view it would be considered cheating as the testosterone would give them an unfair advantage- it's a by product of their transition. Transwoman on the other hand have the opposite effect, their performance will drop due to transition- the question is by how much and at what point is it fair to everyone both biological and trans women for transwomen to compete in women's sports. We are still currently trying to figure this out and it's only in the longer term this will eventually be sorted fairly to both transwomen and biological women.

Personally I think a way needs to be found to fairly accommodate transwomen without unfairly disadvantaging biological women in the process, we need to find a fair process for all athletes. I don't have the answers as it's a very complex subject, I don't think it's a one size fits all argument either as I think each case may need to be considered on their own merits

It will probably take decades for this issue to be sorted fairly for all, unfortunately until then transwomen in particular will probably bear the brunt of most criticism

We are in broad agreement.

But to clarify - I asked about medically transitioned trans men competing against women because if the "decide by biology" group have their way that would be the unintended consequence. Of course, they would then cry 'cheats' and demand trans men de-transition in the interests of 'fairness'.

To those (not you @Girly Gal!) who trot out retired athletes to support your point of view like Sonia O'Sullivan and Martina Navratilova I give you Megan Rapinoe (not retired) and Billie Jean King (Martina's hero) plus 148+ other athletes who went very public in their support of transgender athletes.

Ironically both King and Rapinoe were leaders in the fight for women to be fairly rewarded for their participation in elite sport. (Cue posts about them being not being as good as biological men....).

Here more than 300 current and former NCAA, Team USA and international swimmers and divers, publicly expresses support for Lia Thomas.

I reckon they know more about swimming than O'Sullivan, Navratilova, or anyone here.

The point about medically transitioned transmen competing in women's sports is that they wouldn't be allowed as their testosterone levels would be above the allowed limit, unless they could keep below the allowable level they could not compete, if medically transitioned transmen with higher than the allowed testosterone levels were allowed compete what would stop biological women taking other performance enhancing drugs to level the playing field.

A medically transitioned transman purely from a sporting point of view is taking a performance enhancing substance.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Just been listening to This Week on RTE1 radio's coverage of this issue and specifically Sonia O'Sullivan's IT article.

Very fair coverage IMO, well done RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,130 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I haven’t heard any of the radio coverage, but I read some of the articles covering Sonia O’ Sullivan’s stance on the issue. Her point is pretty much this -

‘That a male who becomes a transgender woman, are they allowed to then compete against biological women? With the science behind it all, it just doesn’t make sense that they should be allowed to do that.

https://extra.ie/2022/03/25/news/sonia-osullivan-transgender-athletes?amp=1

And I’m not a regular reader of her contributions to the Irish Times, nor a regular viewer of her opinions on RTE, but I do remember when she was giving her opinions about the Irish Teams performance in Tokyo, and where she was of the opinion they had made a crucial mistake in their approach -

Speaking on RTE on Monday morning Sonia O’Sullivan said: ‘I think it might have been a mistake for a lot of the athletes to go out to Japan so early for a training camp.

‘A lot of them were out there way too long. Particularly, someone like Sarah Healy. She said she was nervous when she got to the stadium. She’s been out there for nearly two weeks.

‘You’re in a very artificial environment. There’s nothing to distract you. You’re going training, you’re eating, you’re sleeping. There’s nothing else going on.’

When it was pointed out that this early journey was for acclimatisation, O’Sullivan shot back: ‘A maximum of five days is all you need for that. I’m sure there’s a load of science and physiology out there that would disagree with me.

‘If you were to speak to someone like myself, or Derval (O’Rourke, also in studio at the time), we’ve been there before, and done this.

‘We know what it takes, and you don’t have to prepare that long in advance if you’re fit, and ready to go.’

https://extra.ie/2021/08/02/sport/sport-extra/sonia-osullivan-rte?amp=1

It would appear that like so many people who claim that their opinions are supported by science, Sonia O’ Sullivan is just as quick to abandon scientific evidence in favour of anecdotes and claims about political correctness, when her opinions aren’t supported by scientific evidence.

The This Week program featured Gillian O'Sullivan (former olympian), Nial Moyna (prof. of clinical exercise physiology DCU) and Sara Phillips (transgender activist).

Transgender athletes in elite sports | This Week - RTÉ Radio 1 (rte.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What's with the bizarre fixation on Sonia O'Sullivan? You clearly have no respect for her at all. The late great Gerry Kiernan also had some firm if odd views at times but was also a voice always worth listening to on athletics. You can ignore her just as one can ignore randomers on the internet spouting stuff. Her thing is women's athletics and defending it and her long years of association means she has a perspective on it however little you think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Watching Lia Thomas competing against the women is reminiscent of those 40 year old bearded refugees in Sweden at the school sports day. Everyone expected to believe they are teenagers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a strong added political element and culture clash to what goes on in the US and those on the GOP/conservative side will likely be most vocal against this. Not sure why you imagine lists of people who back your view proves a point. It's sometimes very easy to support a position if asked, regardless of what view you have on it; celebrities shamelessly do so. We had quite a few experts putting their names to some every dubious proposals during COVID.

Was reading the US swimming regulations earlier and they do define two groups of swimmers, non-elite where people can do as they please and the elite where there are now more stringent rules to follow. Ultimately the fairness element has to be balanced/biased in favour of those who are biologically women.

What bizarre fixation? She gave her opinion on something she saw as an issue in sports, and it’s not unreasonable to examine whether her opinions have any legitimacy as opposed to simply taking them as fact because Sonia O’ Sullivan said them. That would be called an argument from authority, it doesn’t constitute scientific evidence.

At no point have I ever said anyone isn’t entitled to express an opinion, I would welcome opinions from various perspectives, and if Jerry Kiernan were alive today, I’m not sure he would be arsed to give an opinion on the issue, but if he did, it’s not unreasonable to assume he wouldn’t give a shiny shyte what anyone thought of him as a person, good or bad, on the basis of his opinions.

Same standard applies to Sonia O’ Sullivan, regardless of my admiration for her as an athlete, it has nothing to do with Sonia O’ Sullivan as a person. I’m not the person who needs reminding that every athlete is also a human being.

Wonderful article in the42 about Kiernan btw, cheers for the reminder 👍

https://www.the42.ie/jerry-kiernan-appreciation-5332338-Jan2021/?amp=1

There was a scientific opinion given on This Week program. Don't know if you've had a chance to listen to it yet?

I listened to it, and thank you for the link. I agree with your assessment that RTE’s coverage was very fair.

Not sure why you imagine lists of people who back your view proves a point.

Is that so? You’re not sure why anyone why anyone imagines a list of people who back their views prove a point, after you’d just tried to tear me a new one for what you perceived was a bizarre fixation on an an athlete who by your own admission -

Her thing is women's athletics and defending it and her long years of association means she has a perspective on it however little you think of it.

G’wan up that garden 😂

Just as I’m watching Dancing With The Stars Final right now, one of the participants is also a swimmer - Ellen Keane. You imagine she bitches about other athletes having biological advantages? Does in her hole, she makes the point that her whole journey on the show has been about representation and being that person that she needed when she was a kid -

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0325/1288475-dwts-the-final-countdown-ellen-keane/

Right, the scientific opinion seemed pretty clear that the trans competitor has an advantage, would you agree?

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t agree that the scientific opinion is pretty clear that the trans competitor has an advantage. Now, hold onto your hat for a minute and allow me to explain.

Professor Niall Moyna is a good example of the phenomenon of science popularisers who, shall we say, are not a media personality. Another good example of the phenomenon was Matt Taylor, just to give you some idea of what I mean. We all know how that turned out -

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/13/why-women-in-science-are-annoyed-at-rosetta-mission-scientists-clothing

I have zero interest, none, in seeing Moyna being flamed or any of the rest of it, he just has a very poor understanding of the science involved, and isn’t particularly media savvy. You’ll see what I mean in a minute when I say to you that Ross Tucker, as an example, is far more media savvy, and he exemplified the issues involved in one single quip -

Good data is unethical, and ethical data is not good

Ethical conflicts like that come up in scientific and medical research ALL the time -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_human_experimentation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Treatment

There is a good interview with both scientists from three years ago, and they both made the point then that there isn’t enough data on transgender athletes performance in sports. They both were of the opinion that more data on transgender athletes is needed, but it’s incredibly difficult to gather, given the numbers of people who are openly transgender is so minuscule, and within that data, the number of athletes is even more minuscule, and within that data, well, you can see the issue - the number of transgender athletes, let alone biological males who choose to transition, you could literally count them on two hands, one hand if you were only taking into consideration biological males who were already elite athletes who chose to transition and participate in women’s competitions.

That’s just not even coming close to providing sufficient data which could credibly provide scientific evidence of any sort of an advantage which transgender athletes who’s sex is biologically male, and their gender identity is female, competing in women’s sports, would have over other women in sports. It could only be determined on a case by case basis, at national, local, and international level in women’s sports, and as you widen the field of potential eligible athletes for any competition, then the potential fairness element, or what is called equity, increases as the field of eligible athletes increases. You can design mathematical models for fairness, or apply machine learning to the problem of determining fairness (anyone who says determining fairness is a zero-sum game - 😬):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_(machine_learning)

And while mathematical and data modelling is sexy AF in a data-driven society, still you’re going to have to deal with the issue of individuals who are of the opinion that any rules by way of coming up with a solution to the issue, are unfair to them, as individuals.

Ultimately, it’s only a problem for the individuals who think it’s a problem, or they want to create a problem where a problem doesn’t exist, and no amount of data, or scientists opinions, or athletes opinions, is going to have any effect to change their mentality - as far as they’re concerned, they’re not being treated fairly, and they’ll continue to fight until they are. I wouldn’t expect any less tbh if I were in their position. It’s precisely for this reason that I’m not in their position.

33 mins but worth every minute:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was motivated to read the Sonia piece based on what Sara Phillips said in her opening remarks there. No idea what Phillips was talking about after reading it, 'I'm so disappointed....should be careful with their words...they have an effect...visceral effect's on trans youth.... should talk in a clear and concise way, blah blah". What the fck was she on about. Would have been a lot more concise to say I don't agree with a single word Sonia said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ellen Keane. You imagine she bitches about other athletes having biological advantages?

Well I mean...

"They reclassified Brock Whiston. Last year I was European champion and I was world number one until April. Then she got put into my classification.

"They based it off that one swim they watched her do in April. Then they confirmed (her category) until 2021.

"After that swim she broke the world record by four seconds. She went on to become world champion. So many questions have been asked about the system because... a lot of athletes are slipping through that."

I read a blog the other day written by a Democratic party member in the US who said this issue is killing his party, and could lead to Donald Trump being reelected in 2024. His own view is that maybe sometime in the future, sport will be organised along other lines than biological sex, but the world isn't ready for that yet. I think as Ross Tucker puts it, you can have fairness or inclusion, but you can't have both. While I believe that top level competitive sport should be organised by sex, there are already some sporting activities organised by gender and there has to be lots of opportunity to expand that and do things differently for participative sport, if only we could get past the slogans and the insults and the fake science. That's all I'm going to say on it for a while.

Post edited by plodder on

Right, so you want scientific evidence but when you get it and it's unequivocal you attack it because you say there's insufficient data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's an abundance of data, I can only imagine it's trying to debate a contrarian view to try and pour doubt on the data but even the flat-earthers have more "convincing" arguments.

The real world debate that is happening is to what level trans-athletes need to be disadvantaged or advantaged to be able to compete on a level-playing field against others of their chosen gender, the problem is also a one-way problem (man to woman) with woman to man primarily being a safety issue (along with making sure their hormone level doesn't act as a PED).

As there is consensus around the need to reduce hormone levels for trans-women to compete (at least in a competitive environment, outside competitions, sports have a mix all the time without any issues), discussing zero changes other than affirmation would effectively be off topic and probably better discussed in a "Is there any difference between males and females?" thread if anyone was interested in that.

Oh give me a break.

Some blogger claims Trump will win due to transgensder women competing in elite sports is as head in the sand bat s*ite crazy as transgender people being blamed for Putin invading Ukraine. And yes, that has happened.

The geo-political issues in the world and the Democratic Party in the U.S failing to connect with voters has feck all to do with the miniscule percentage of the population who have gender dysphoria, and claiming it does is eerily reminiscent of other times a minority group was singled out and blamed for political and economic problems.

Shame on you for giving that hate fire oxygen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As there is consensus around the need to reduce hormone levels for trans-women to compete (at least in a competitive environment, outside competitions, sports have a mix all the time without any issues)

Except there isn't. There is an understandable push against forced medicalisation of athletes and while I wouldn't expect a rash of sports dropping the requirement, even within the new IOC guidelines it is very much implied that this should be looked at and reconsidered.

I can't find the exact blog but it referred to the one below

"At the same time, I think progressives have grown somewhat overconfident about the broad popularity of some of these issues and are not paying enough attention to the potential electoral ramifications of supporting trans participation on women’s sports teams. The Transgender Law Center itself says that in their message testing that “our opposition wins the debate on trans youth in sports against any and all arguments we have tried for our side." It is not smart for elected officials to take up a political cause whose own advocates say it’s currently a losing position. And I think it’s important not to die on that hill because there are other important political fights that are winnable."

• Advertisement

It's a bloody blog. I could find you many that state say it is the duty of politicians to protect minority rights. But this isn't a battle of the Blogs because at the end of the day - they are blogs. One person so convinced what they think is important and interesting they self publish their opinions. Jeeze - this one doesn't even have recipes for Mom's Apple Pie.

A blog that is throwing political shapes at a tiny minority group for feck sake.

You really happy to be on that side of history? Cos mate - you are sharing that shite. Blowing that dog whistle.

IF the Democratic Party lose to Trump it will NOT be because a few trans woman competed as women, and anyone who claims it is is pushing a very particular agenda. Heard the exact shame crap about Gay Rights, Civil Rights, Women's Rights.

Advertisement