Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I definitely think it's my problem as I said in my post. I'm annoyed because I'm in the wrong and he is right, as I said in my post. If it seems like I'm trying to defend my dog's behaviour because I think it's acceptable, I'm not. I'm just saying that I have a dog who unfortunately barks and lunges at people when she is on the lead. She has never bitten person or dog, but has been attacked and bitten twice by other dogs who were off the lead.

It's just very frustrating because we have gone to training classes with her, and done our best to keep her calm around people, and she is a very good dog when she is off the lead - perfect recall, perfect sit and stay. It's just when we are on the lead and in the apartment block she really gets nervous and appears scary to neighbours. I think we need to move somewhere else, but that is easier said than done. It's just difficult because there can be people outside the lift every time it opens, and even when there isn't, people can appear from around any corner in the development, and especially at night, she gets a fright. It's so frustrating. And with the added emphasis on trying to keep her calm since the man confronted us, I feel like she gets the sense that things are even more tense which drives her anxiety even more.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Sending you love, Yillan. I know you're probably feeling anxious too in these situations, because you're on guard for a person to suddenly appear, which your dog will feel as well. How old is your dog? I haven't seen you mention it.

What you're going through sadly isn't uncommon, we tend to expect all our dogs to be happy, social little yokes, unfazed by everything, especially when we put the work in to try and make it so. Sadly, it's not like that. Sometimes we can put so much work into our dogs being especially good at a certain thing (meeting other dogs, for example) that we accidentally give our dog the belief they are going to meet every single dog they meet, and they're not gonna want to meet every dog. Sometimes genetics are a factor, and our dog doesn't like anyone but their family circle, tight spaces like hallways can be unsettling for a dog who doesn't want a stranger in their personal space.

There's things you can buy, such as little leash-sleeves that say "In Training: please ignore me" etc, I know it probably won't help much, but sometimes things like this can give you a bit of space + a person forewarning to not engage with your dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah sorry - I took you up wrong Yillan. It’s terrible when you have set backs like this and it’s out of your control 😔 My Lucy was terrified of kids - she’d bolt or try to hide. The amount of times we had to get up and leave when we were having coffee etc after calmly explaining to parents that she was terrified… yet they’d let kids approach again and again. I ended up with a harness that said in training and that helped a lot. In your case maybe a harness/lead/vest that says nervous dog? Or could you maybe leave a note up from her/or Xmas cards even explaining that she’s afraid of people and apologising if she frightens anyone? I have a buggy for Bailey for longer walks and it was the first thing I thought of - I’d wheel her out with the buggy covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you get on well with any of your neighbours so that they would do some work with you both around the apartment block?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

@muddypaws @VonVix

Thanks everyone for the comments. It really made such a difference to have gotten a bit of a sympathetic ear. I think the christmas card to my neighbours on the bulletin board is such a nice and clever idea. She is so photogenic as well, which would obviously be in her favour. The vest/leash sleeve is a good idea too. She is 18 months old. She has always been a nervous dog from when we got her as a puppy - it is sort of embarrassing that we can't even claim that she was a mistreated rescue. We made her like this.

We have made some progress this week and we had three potential barky interactions on the most recent outing today that she avoided. One she didn't avoid - a man on a gangway across from ours and two floors down came around a corner and she took exception. From 20 metres away.

When I see a person now coming towards us in the complex, I divert towards the nearest person-free area and give her lots of treats for not barking at the person, even though she really stares very hard at them. The unfortunate thing is that there isn't always a person-free area nearby, or the person comes around a corner quickly before I get a chance to divert course. But we're working on it, and I think she's getting better.

We have neighbours who we get on with who might be willing to help us train in scenarios. I'll have a chat with them in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Happy new to all, and to our furry friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭apache

Lovely weather for plenty of walks in the Phoenix Park with a lovely Springer X. Only thing is I have blisters on my feet and the two heels are skinned of me. I wouldn't mind but I was wearing Skechers. The pain....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

God I prefer the cooler weather when there’s less people about and no worries about the dogs getting too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Same....the duskie is not impressed at the moment.

It's beautiful early in the morning. It's not too hot yet for it to be uncomfortable in the daytime either. It is only March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Amazing weather the last week, especially as it’s only march. Managed to clear our site in Dun Laoghaire, old workshop & office, planted out about 30sqm of native wildflowers as it’ll be a while before we find out if An Board Plenala will rule in our favour against the council and made a wee area safe for the doggies, built a fenced area with a tiny bris soleil for Esmae as she’s not fond of the direct sun or heat. We had some fabulous walks in Phoenix Park too, found a few boggy lakes that Esmae loves to get in with her ball. It’s a pity we’ll be changing back to normal temps this week.

I veered off my usual route in the park. Kirby dived down a gully and splashed about in dirty water. When she emerged she was covered nose to tail in muck. I wasn't impressed...

Our Pom Esmae does that too, great thing is that her coat cleans so effortlessly. Also the pure joy on her little face is worth it 😁

are people staying away from dogs/cats if they have covid ? or is there any need

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I haven't heard of any animals getting it. Do you have it?

That's true. The pure joy on her face was worth it.

Today the 04 April was my late dogs Birthday. He would have been 18. I was lucky he lived to 17 years, three months and one day. I still miss him.

I just won dog treats in a competition. I don't know if it's one bag or a lot more. But I'm chuffed anyway.

A dog I frequently look after is in dire need of a wash and haircut. The whole works. I don't want to fall out with the owner who is a family friend. But I had to say it to them yesterday. Sternly. I had hinted a few times before but it had fallen on deaf ears. But then again it's not my dog but I know her ears need a good clean because she's always scratching them. Somebody walked past me the other day and stopped and asked was she a labradoodle...lol she dosen't look like that when she's clipped.....but I can see the resemblance now when it's overgrown.

I was genuinely worried about the dog. Pleased to report she got washed and clipped and looks absolutely gorgeous. A completely different dog!

Nearly lost the dog at the beach this afternoon. She was gone for nearly an hour. I was so stressed out. Thank God I eventually got her. She usually has good recall.

• Advertisement

No what ya mean @apache last time our Yorkie slipped his harness, he spent nearly 2 hours living his best life running the length & breadth of the area of Phoenix Park we were at, he’d eventually knackered himself out but wouldn’t come close enough to catch, that is until my OH showed up & he proceeded to go straight to him and lie down. TBH, Mr C had absolutely no recall, he’s on one of those escape proof harnesses now. I walk him and our Pom together so she was delighted when he flew off 😆 me, I was in taters freakin out that he’d get mauled or tear off after deer or get hit by an OPW truck. I felt awful as it’s totally my responsibility to keep him in control but not that day!

She was having a fantastic time but I'm afraid to let her off the lead in case it happens again. I am so relieved it ended well. It was her first time at the beach.

Post edited by apache on

I nearly lost a dog years ago. I was in a forest in Mayo and a family of deer walked by and my dogs chased them. The male came back but female didn't. She knew she done wrong so never came back. It was a thick forest so I couldn't see far. I searched and called her but she never came back. I found her eventually at the car park as it was getting dark. What she was doing was following me from a distance as I searched for her. As I said she knew she done wrong so kept away from me. Odd quirks some dogs have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got Creams ashes back yesterday in the most beautiful casket shaped like a sleeping cat. We had gotten the same one for Dude years ago and I was worried they’d be identical but the wood is a different colour. It’s really nice. It’s also my first time getting back paw and nose prints so there’s my next tattoo idea sorted. It’s bittersweet having him home again. It still doesn’t feel real, especially because our lives revolved around him so much for the last 7 months with the insulin and epilepsy routines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I've been meaning to get a tattoo of my departed cat's paw print since she passed on. I was torn between getting a generic cat tattoo or the paw print. Decision related inertia set in and I haven't got around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm looking for an acupuncturist for a sick dog in Galway city or county, does anyone know if/where there is one?

TIA

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Hi all

I see the weather is heading for high 20's the weekend , is it a good idea too give your dog a cold sponge down in hot weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I forgot just how -busy- kittens are all the time. We haven’t even had Miso a full week yet but he’s settled in so well it feels like he’s been here forever. The amazing thing is, he’s 12 weeks old and it’s also 12 weeks since we lost Cream. It really feels like he was sent to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Our little reactive Milo has come so far in the 2 years we've had him. He's just had his best weekend ever. Saturday we took him for a walk in Bushey park and there were so many dogs and people around because it was a beautiful morning. We were a bit nervous but his reactions lately have been so much less than before so we gave it a go and he was superstar. He didnt react to a single dog. He gave a small growl and bark to one dog that got right in his face while we were buying food at the market but other than that he just ignored all the dogs and even briefly happily greeted a small little cavalier king charles. Then yesterday we went to Marley which again was really busy and again he did not react to a single dog!!

He may regress and not have every walk be as successful but I am really finally beginning to believe there will be a point where he will be over his reactivity completely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The semi wild cat that I'd been feeding has moved herself and her 4 kittens into my greenhouse.

Advertisement