Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I’m using my passport card for the first time, finally got one. Can I check in online and used this for the API for Spain. Flights are with Aer Lingus.

The reason I ask is I seem to recall there being issue going back a few years with the passport card and online or Kiosk check in

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not sure about now, but I got caught unable to check in from abroad a few years ago - I was on a two-legged flight home from Spain, and couldn't check in for the second leg. Rang Aer Lingus, and they cheerfully said "oh no, sorry, not possible"!! I didn't have enough time to go out and check back in at the transit airport.

I checked in using my passport number instead, and it didn't cause any problems, but I don't know if that's just because I was lucky or what.

Now that's at least 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe things have changed. It might be worth contacting Aer Lingus on twitter to check.

Nearly gave me a heart attack at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Anybody flown American Airlines to NY/Florida in recent/ pre covid. Haven’t flown them myself but remember last time out maybe 5 years ago they were bottom of the barrel in terms of planes & service to USA. Looking at flights and they are coming in €200 less then Aer Lingus so wondering if better to stick with “what you know” or if AA have improved ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Due to fly to France next week on ALingus. Return leg has a “online check in available on X date” but first leg from Dublin has “online checkin unavailable” any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Online check in for EI opens 30 hours before departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

See T1 security was brutal Friday, lots missed flights https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-airport-chaos-people-left-26407332 we aren't even at the busy period yet.

Does anyone here know what is going on post pandemic with the security? I've been using the airport throughout and it seems that they simply do not have the staff in T1 to handle the number of passengers going through. I was 31 minutes the last time from starting the Q to loading up my tray.

It's really not good enough that they don't have enough staff to deal with the peak periods. The Fast Track is nothing but fast in name and now a complete rip off at peak times. It seems that it comes as a surprise each day and particularly at the weekend that it is a surprise that so many people are booked to travel through the airport, when they know exactly how many are due through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’m not sure but I’m guessing it might be something to do with staff shortages and the current ongoing farce of garda vetting taking 6-8 weeks for any staff who require an airport ID. So even if they hire staff this month they’re not actually allowed to start for weeks and weeks. This is since new rules were introduced in January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

This has been going on for weeks now. It's just extremely poor management from the DAA. They knew there would be delays in processing staff airport ID'S so they should have started their recruitment much earlier.

It always seems to be a T1 issue. Can they not move staff from T2 to T1 at peak times? I'm thinking of going through T2 next week for a T1 flight which I'm told is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We had a T2 check in last week and were flying from T1

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Thanks yes. But the issue is that it’s flagging that I won’t be able to checkin at all for that flight but simultaneously telling me when I can check in for the return leg. So it’s not that. AL customer support admitted it was not the timing but couldn’t tell me what it was

I would leave it and check in at the airport if you have a confirmed booking. Free pick of the remaining seats then too. No point in getting too stressed about it. Probably an IT glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Birmingham airport (bhx) security:

How fast is fast track security at Birmingham airport? E.g. 5 mins? 20 mins?

Or, how faster is fast track security compared to normal security? E.g. Twice as fast, 10 times faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone successfully travelled to the US with a recovery cert? I see Covidscreeningcork.ie are offering doctor signed recovery certs for €55 for travelling. I'm flying to JFK next week and temped to try it to see will it be accepted. Obviously, I'll still get an antigen within 24hrs of the flight. But I'm curious to see if the cert will work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

Yesterday's statement from DAA saying that they were, like airports everywhere else working very hard to solve the security staff problem was a disgrace, Of course our lazy journalists did not question this nonsense.

What are the delays in other major European airports?

Why are DAA taken unawares by traffic volumes? They had high volumes last Autumn, which I personally experienced.

They say they let 1,000 people go in 2020 when the pandemic hit. Did they expect that air travel would not recover: why not furlough staff in order to retain them?

What's the DAA CEO's name? Is it Rip Van Winkle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

As an example, my friend took 2 and half hours to get through security at Manchester Airport 3 weeks ago.

So it looks like there are issues elsewhere.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

1 in 25 people in the country currently have Covid.

It's not easy when people are ringing in sick every morning. I've had 2 different hands on jobs during Covid no possiblity of working from home and every days was a lottery as to whether you had a full team that day.

Sorry, but we are told that the problem that DAA have is the recruitment, training and vetting of new staff. This is not the same as any problem caused by Covid among existing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Both problems exist, one wouldn't be as big an issue without the other.

• Advertisement

DAA's statement (quoted from RTE) is: "Like other airports all over Europe, we are currently working extremely hard to ramp-up our operation at Dublin Airport after the collapse of international travel over the past two years including the hiring and training of staff after 1,000 workers left the airport under a voluntary severance scheme during the Covid-19 pandemic".

This doesn't mention underlying covid absences of existing staff. In any event just about every other organisation in the country has to cope with this. Excuses, excuses.

There have been several other posts which tend to excuse the DAA. With respect to rameire, experience in Manchester seems to be irrelevant, as the story now centres around the role of enhanced EU requirements for security vetting of airside staff. It seems that this process was not adequately prepared for the the DAA or other agencies (including the Dept of Transport).

Are there EU-wide reports of delays due to staff vetting issues? Any journalists prepared to get off their backsides an investigate this? Or do they content themselves by cutting and pasting DAA excuses?

I had an email from Ryanair they have changed my flight times and want me to accept the change, change my flights or give me a refund. I have had a second email in the space of a week, how many times will they email? How long do a I have to decide, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Do you have to print off your passenger locator form or is having it on your phone sufficient? Flying Dublin - Faro with Ryanair. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Hi there. Anyone here recently made online check in with ryanair? My sister booked and paid for two 20kg bags but it doesnt appear on he boarding pass. As far as I remember there was infos like 20kg bag or similar on the boarding pass in the past. Did ryanair changed it or something went wront during online check in?? We tried call ryanair but nobody pick up thr phone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Sometimes the hold baggage is presented on the board pass as an icon of a bag... i have one as we speak but its not Ryanair... If its there it be on top half of page where all the info is...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Well its nothing there thats a problem. But when she log in to ryanair website and check her bookings, 20kg bag is there..weird

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I looked at our Ryanair one there. It says it below the Gate Closes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Not sure if this is the right thread for this query, but here goes. My wife and four of her friends have flights booked with Ryanair to Portugal next week. One of the group is unable to travel but another friend has expressed interest in taking her place. The Ryanair website specifies a charge of €115 for a name change. It’s not explicit about whether this is per leg in the case of a return trip, although it does specify that it’s per passenger and does not say that it’s per one way flight. This would suggest that it’s not doubled up for a return flight.

Flight Change Fee

Per Passenger/Per One Way Flight

€/£ 45 online changes/ €/£ 60 changes through an agent or at the airport 

Name Change Fee

Per Passenger

€/£115 online changes / €/£160 changes through an agent

Can anyone confirm one way or the other please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ryanair doesn't do return flights. Each flight/leg is a separate booking.

Every leg will incur that charge.

Advertisement