Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

If it's any consolation, the German press have been pretty critical of Scholzs "half in, half out" approach to helping Ukraine and general sense seems to be that's he's overwhelmed by the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Unless of course the whole strategy is going according to plan as some would have us believe. It is 4-D chess and us mere mortals are too thick to understand it.

There’s no question energy policies have been extremely naïve in Germany and in plenty of other places, including Ireland. I remember after Russia turned off the gas through Ukraine back in 2014 there was a panic in Brussels and everyone was talking about needing diversity of energy supplies and so on, but then it drifted back to business as usual.

We’ve recently had intense and successful lobbying recently to include natural gas as a “green transition energy source”.

We also had US warnings ignored and assumed to be about selling American gas. Again that’s rather understandable when they were coming at a time when the US had abysmal international relations, mixed messaging and a populist loon at the helm, who seemed to be quite the Putin fan himself and was simultaneously trying to undermine both NATO and the EU and even defunded the WHO during a pandemic ffs! The US is in no position to lecture anyone on that topic.

However, even here in Ireland we went utterly off the deep end about opening LNG storage facilities, seemingly our noisy anti everything fringes were happy enough to import any kind of gas, so long as it is as by pipe and they didn’t have to think about the sources, meanwhile freaking out about the potential of accidentally shipping in American or Canadian fracked gas, but somehow if it comes in from some authoritarian regime by pipe from who knows what source in terms of environmental impact or human rights impacts, nobody has to think about that so that’s grand.

Gas and oil aren’t clean fuels and their sources do have to be considered in geopolitical terms.

Moneypoint also appears to (at least until very recently) to have been running on Russian coal and accounts for a significant % of our power. But again, coal is a filthy fuel, both environmentally when burned and in terms of ecological, human rights and safety issues in terms of how it’s mined some cases too, but … lazy policies, NIMBYism and foot dragging …

And a large % of our oil imports were, depending on the market, Russian sourced and Ireland is hugely oil dependent for transportation: vast majority of cars, trucks, most trains, and we’re an island so all of our travel and imports / exports go by air or sea (oil fuelled). Somehow speeding up charging networks or rolling out a few electric trains is beyond our vast wealth, while far poorer countries so it without fuss … (another thread needed for that one.)

Meanwhile we’ve had foot dragging and endless objections to offshore and onshore wind and to all the overhead wiring infrastructure. Despite not a shred of scientific evidence supporting the claims about pylons, various politicians in Ireland and elsewhere and even courts in some countries have accepted that stuff as serious / facts based when it’s up there with theories on the earth being flat, but … both sides! Both sides!

All of that just keeps money flowing into Gasprom and the status quo continues.

The reality at the moment is a chunk of the EU probably can’t turn off its dependency on a Russian gas, because if it does the lights go out, industries slow down / stop, people go cold and if that happens, do you seriously think having the German or Italian economies falling into a mess would help the current situation? Particularly considering the fact that we’re facing a massive displacement of people who need to be supported in the EU, we are just coming out of a pandemic and you’ve a hostile actor that uses propaganda and everything else in a hybrid war effort that’s designed to destabilise…

It’s very easy to lecture and have absolute embargoes from a position where Russian gas or oil represents 3% of your energy intake.

There’s also now another fuel issue btw, and one it seems nobody knew about - Russian uranium is used in the nuclear sector as a source of fuel and the US for example has become dependent on it to the point that 1/3 of their power generation uranium comes from Russia. That’s been yet another strategic drift into buying energy from sources that are literally enemy states.

We’ve all been broadsided by this in my opinion. Russia was normalised and there was a far too optimistic view taken of it. It was showing all the signs of being a huge issue - the lack of human rights, the extreme anti lgbt stuff, the endless propaganda, the cyber attacks, the wars, the poisonings … including literally using a chemical weapon on an individual in the UK, but it kept going back to business as usual because we need cheap gas.

The same applies to several Middle Eastern oil oligarchies. They are utterly atrocious regimes but the western political parties are all prepared to swallow hard, park their principles and pretend they it’s all fine because they need to sign oil contracts.

Also we are completely ignoring a massive geopolitical risk from China because we need outsourced manufactured goods and electronics, and need them cheap!

I’m seeing condemnation of Germany and even of France from British sources too, while they’re shoulder deep in dirty money and you’ve their foreign secretary, Liz Truss utterly prematurely promising the end of sanctions if Russia withdraws. So it seems horrific war crimes are fine. No mention of The Hague or any of that, just get the money pumps flowing! All is forgiven?

The reality of this is plenty of people saw it coming and plenty more are utterly hypocritical and happily portraying themselves as holier than thou.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Funny, one of Putin's nicknames in Russia is "the gnome". It might explain his master plan:

Phase 1: Collect underpants Invade Ukraine

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They seem to be burning bridges and it only makes sense in that context. If you don't think you'll ever be dealing with or want something from the Western based/linked companies again (the lessors/insurers etc and possibly even the aircraft makers [Boeing/Airbus]), why not rob the assets and get as much use and salvage what you can from it? Just gets harder to see business of any Western companies in Russia surviving all this, and after a time the only ones that will deal with them (from the West) will be complete snakes and scum who don't care about risks up to ending up in prison if they can make a profit. Kind of people that will deal with N. Korea or dealt with the Soviet Union or I suppose Saddam's Iraq etc.

Well considering there are multiple fairly reliable, albeit unverified reports, of them leaving what looked like manufactured booby trapped every day objects - documents (passport / licence covers etc), children’s toys and so on around, and they used remote mining systems that air launch from thousands of mines into farm land, absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.

Certain units and mercenaries working for them seem to be really sadistic.

They seem to be using the Geneva Convention as bonfire fuel.

I think we can forget high notions of rules of war and international conventions. They have a big load of nuclear bombs and are of the opinion that having those exempt them from all accountability, which sadly would appear to also be an entirely accurate point of view.

Well that’s the fakest looking robot I’ve seen in a long time. Looks like a bad mock-up of the T800 terminator riding a remote controlled quad bike.

Looks about as convincing as the special effects on a particularly low budget 1970s Dr Who episode, when most things were made out of washing up liquid bottles and random bits of an old twin tub washing machine they found in a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

They may be shooting Russian POWs in the legs to flood the field hospitals with casualties. A typical war strategy.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you reckon though millions of money was thrown at that project and like much of everything the money went elsewhere. So the threw together this fake remote controlled shite to present to him.

And he wonders where all their serviceable equipment goes to ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It looks very promising to me. I would suggest focusing almost the entire military budget towards it's development. It looks like it would not be at all vulnerable to highly mobile infantry units with RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you see any irony in your opinion of Northern Ireland and the reasons Putin gave for the invasion of Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep just a couple of iterations away from these guys I'd say

Only Luke Skywalker can save us now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dr Evil being shown his latest ludicrously over the top and completely dysfunctional contraption, surrounded by a group of fawning assorted psychopaths and cronies, all sucking up to power, all nervous they might be fed to the sharks or more likely given a polonium smoothie.

Only with none of the comedy and a hell of a lot more human tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gracilene3098

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I think the fact that Russia have now declared they will focus on the East of Ukraine for the activities spells the end of this as a global crisis, its a now a regional one

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well given that the Russians said it, it must definitely be their honest intention 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Too soon to say, I think.

They never tell the truth anyway so the default position has to be the assumption that it's more smoke & mirrors.

They said that and then launched missiles at Lviv, which last time I checked hasn’t be relocated to eastern Ukraine.

Seems they’re totally reliable and can be taken at their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Analysis of day 30-32 from one commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Another article concerning joint Irish & British preparations in the event of a war between NATO & the Warsaw Pact, including the prospect of nuclear weapons strikes during the 1950's. https://www.jstor.org/stable/90005263

You can download it for free if you register via email.

Post edited by purplepanda on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I hope that's not a roundabout way of saying that the West can/should scale back its support.

Focusing operations in the East would at best be a reversion to the previous strategy of taking Ukraine piece by piece, while diminishing its economy with every advance. I think the foot should be put down on that. They've been getting away with it for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

no not at all, if I was Ukrainian I wouldnt be changing anything but if I was African I would be a little bit less concerned as the bread basket of the world will still have access to the sea

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Unsurprising, dealing with the Russian administration is like dealing with common criminals and thugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure, and the world will not be in too much of a hurry to do business there again. Putin what have you done,? except destroy two Country's. You will go down in history OK but for all the wrong reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement