Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

People go to A+E these days because they can't see the Gp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The cheek of Paul Reid out tweeting about how we need to all 'do more' to turn the tide of Covid, what are the HSE doing to stop spread in the hospitals among vulnerable patients? An older family member of mine who is negative for Covid on multiple tests, PCR and Antigen had to go to A&E last night, they were sent straight to the 'Covid room' - where one things for sure. They'll have Covid now on top of their bronchitis which they get every winter. The only reason they had to go in is no doctor, GP or out of hours will listen to their chest like they used to and help prescribe the appropriate medication. The whole system is a joke at the minute.

Anyone coming out to the public like this pointing fingers and lecturing at the current time needs to start showing some concrete policies re Covid management in healthcare, also a directive should be issued to GP's - see Covid negative patients or lose your job. The gall of GP's doing 'phone consults' and landing their vulnerable patients to A&E clogging up the whole system is ridiculous. Rant over!

Post edited by CruelSummer on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This new variant is incredibly transmissible. As one doctor said, it is mopping up all the remaining people that did not get Covid before. Imagine how crazy people would have got if this one arrived during the lockdown days when test numbers were paramount to restrictions. Thankfully its mild and we are getting lots of natural immunity in the population.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes I agree. I've been massively critical of them during the pandemic. They've been nothing short of a disgrace trying to keep schools closed. Another antiquated group who's leadership only looks after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Anybody have to deal with abdominal difficulties with covid?

Negative antigens, but really suffering for about 3 weeks now. Just feeling rough, bloating loss of appetite, diarrhoea. He's off to the doctor today but just don't know what's going on with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It is a bloody cheek, but that’s what he’s paid big bucks to do - deflect and divert attention to protect the HSE machine from scandal. Covid is the best excuse they’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can be lots of things. The digestive system can get thrown of whack very easily by stress, illness, problems with diet, reaction to certain foods, environmental changes etc. Best to see what the doctor says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The piece RTE have up doesn’t fill me with confidence for the future not to mention a Dr Barry’s comments, i really am concerned for our future freedoms if you live in Ireland especially . If we go back to restrictions despite our vaccination rate it’s f*****g game over for us. Our lives will just become a miserable existence and we’ll never be able to plan anything . They will be a permanent fixture unless some magic vaccine that stops transmission comes along.

I’m not sure Mc Entee’s comments fill me with confidence either. Is she preparing us for that there will be discussions of restrictions between the government and the health officials i wonder. Not to mention a certain ilk of the population crying out for lockdowns.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭prunudo

Observation of the day, mask wearing has increased again. And more power to them, expressing their free will to protect themselves, but that shouldn't mean a return to mandatory restrictions. If people want to wear them, do so, but don't force it the rest of us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I just read an article in The Indo, on this topic and it infuriated me.

One part quoting Reid's remarks, the rest of the article quoting an infectious diseases expert who said we are just going to get it again and again.

I honestly do not know what they are looking for.I know what I am looking for is drastic health service overhaul, to be able to better stand up to waves of this thing.Wearing masks and washing hands are nice ideas and all, but they won't make the virus go away long term.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/hse-chief-warns-of-huge-stress-on-health-system-as-expert-says-we-will-get-covid-again-and-again-41494741.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure there's any grounds for alarm/pessimism. A cursory glance on RTEs website, and there isn't a single Covid item occupying the headlines/front page. Similar on the Journal.ie.

There are a lot of incidental cases in hospital and the HSE is down sizeable numbers of staff. He shouldn't be tweeting that on a Monday with few weekend discharges. Getting it again and again is what happens with other viruses so no great shock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,415 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was in Tesco at the weekend and mainly older people were wearing masks that I could see. Was later on in SuperValu in Deansgrange with the kids, my daughter helpfully announced DADDY YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE HERE NOT WEARING A MASK!!, morto.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Reid saying still no indications of a peak and will keep rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

Sure they haven't a clue on numbers i'd say there is only a fraction of antigen positives been logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Nope, no indications of a peak whatsoever 😕

Anecdotally, kids classes in school nearly back to full attendence (should be full by tomorrow / wed) after being riddled for the last two / three weeks. It's very clear the wave is on the outward leg through south dublin anyway, although hospitals may continue to be hotbeds of infection for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

For hospitals maybe not yet but the 7 day positivity rate is falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Restrictions don't seem to be working in Scotland.
    • Average death rate for vaccinated is less than regular flu

What kind of madness are we in ?

Ireland is what 94%+ vaccinated and some people want restrictions (which don't work) brought back ??

WHY ??

Comfort and security I imagine. The psychological component with restrictions is massive I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

The basic problem is that when the government lifted all restrictions, many people took it that Covid was gone. They dropped all safeguards so of course it spread like wildfire. Common sense is in rare supply and its not helped by those who regard mask wearing as evil. Its a sensible precaution in crowded settings.

It's a choice except where actively encouraged. The message, a correct one, is that the emergency with COVID is over and people are free to make their own decisions. What we are witnessing is a smallish, probably short-lived event that may already be peaking and of course yet another reminder of just how ill-equipped the hospital system is to deal with outbreaks. The current effects from COVID are overwhelmingly mild and no restrictions, including masks will make much of dent in numbers in a very rapidly spreading contagion. This is living with COVID and hopefully our health system will be able to up its game in that regard in the near future.

The health system can fukk off with their 20bn and they want us to wear masks cos there's 54 in icu

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Precaution from what?

For the overwhelming majority of people covid is inconsequential. And while earlier strains were much worse, with the current dominant strains we literally have people advocating masks now to avoid getting a glorified head cold.

If people want to wear a mask that is up to them, nobody should be ridiculed for wearing one, but it should not come as a surprise that most have deemed this a pointless vanity exercise in virtue signalling at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Why is it a sensible precaution ?

Did you watch the video ? - death rate from covid for vaccinated people is at this stage less than regular infuenza.

Remind me of Ireland's vaccination rate again ? 94% ?

Would it have been sensible precautions to wear masks around the place pre 2020 during flu season ?

Is there any clarity on the hospital situation

It just seems to be a mess COVID is rife and lots of people have it and thousands of staff are absent with it , It seems to be a shambles of a system

No reason to be bringing back mask mandates because of this

• Some lula from one of the nursing organisations on right and the end if Drivetime wailing for the return of restrictions.

Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

People seem to think that everyone wearing a mask while they're shopping for bread and milk will magically make de numbers go down and make everyone safe.

ICU has barely moved in weeks now. And last we heard 57% were in ICU for something else anyways. It could be that we only have 25 in ICU in the whole country and we're panicking calling for country wide mask mandates and restrictions...

People just want a pandemic at this point for their own selfish reasons. And generally those reasons are wanting to work from home or people who just want to see others suffer because their own lives are pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Also, Paul Reid once again blaming the public for the HSE's continued failings is the least surprising thing to have happened in 2022 so far.

Advertisement