Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Only just 1 years and 10 months to see what the public actually want. Maybe they can change your mind as a floating voter in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,955 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They'll (FG) be making a decision before that. They cannot afford not to. Internal leak of something damaging forcing Varadkar out if the Criminal Inquiry fails to do it, would be my bet. As somebody said if you think FG hate other parties wait until you see how they hate one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Galway politicians produce 600,000 items at Oireachts print facility – Connacht Tribune – Galway City Tribune:

This kind of nonsense boils my blood.

Galway politicians used the Oireachtas print facility to produce more than 600,000 items of material to communicate with constituents over the past two years.

The items are produced and printed free of charge for senators and TDs but they cost the Houses of the Oireachtas in excess of €15,000 in 2020 and 2021.

The outlay does not include the cost of printing staff including graphic designers who designed the material.

Customised promotional material that was printed for local TDs and Senators included greeting cards, Christmas cards, business cards, letterheads, compliment slips, Oireachtas-headed paper, newsletters and leaflets.

Independent Senator Rónán Mullen, from Ahascragh, had some 246,900 items printed costing €4,237. That included 900 Christmas cards, 116,000 newsletters and 140,000 A4 colour printed letterheads.

Galway West TD, Hildegarde Naughton (FG) had material worth €3,632 printed since she was promoted to Minister of State at the Department of Transport attending Cabinet. Minister Naughton printed 145,000 items including 47,000 A4 colour newsletters.

Galway politicians used the Oireachtas print facility to produce more than 600,000 items of material to communicate with constituents over the past two years.

The items are produced and printed free of charge for senators and TDs but they cost the Houses of the Oireachtas in excess of €15,000 in 2020 and 2021.

The outlay does not include the cost of printing staff including graphic designers who designed the material.

Customised promotional material that was printed for local TDs and Senators included greeting cards, Christmas cards, business cards, letterheads, compliment slips, Oireachtas-headed paper, newsletters and leaflets.

Independent Senator Rónán Mullen, from Ahascragh, had some 246,900 items printed costing €4,237. That included 900 Christmas cards, 116,000 newsletters and 140,000 A4 colour printed letterheads.

Galway West TD, Hildegarde Naughton (FG) had material worth €3,632 printed since she was promoted to Minister of State at the Department of Transport attending Cabinet. Minister Naughton printed 145,000 items including 47,000 A4 colour newsletters.

Galway East TD, Anne Rabbitte (FF) Minister of State at the Department of Health with responsibility for Disability had some 46,500 items printed at a cost of €1,345. Among the printed material were 500 greeting cards and 21,000 A4 colour newsletters.

Former Government chief whip and former Galway West TD, Senator Seán Kyne (FG) had material printed that cost €878. It included 2,000 compliment slips and 2,000 Oireachtas headed paper.

It should not be allowed. Complete waste of money. Let them pay for the waste themselves. I got Kyne's BS newsletter and it went straight in the bin. As for Senator Mullen, let Rome pay for his garbage.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The next election is February 2025. What you think or feel is pretty much irrelevant. For a floating voter you seem to have your mind made up already though.

And my point is that FG will have to decide before that - before Varadkar becomes Taoiseach again. Everyone's opinion here is 'irrelevant'. Pretty lame putdown TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'd say (probably more of a hope tbh) it will take a lot closer to 10 years to change most floating voters to ever vote FG again. I definitely can't imagine it would be in the next 2 years.

I honestly think FG are completely blind or could not care less to how big a dislike there is out there for them. It's going to be a tough road back, and it's going to get worse when nothing is changing/ everything staying the same.

It wasn't a putdown at all just some reality. The next general election is over 700 days away. Maybe in that time as a floating voter you might see some promise in one of the current government parties and vote for them. I think you mentioned before you only voted for SF for the first time in the last election so they must have let you down when they had no appetite for forming a government.

I see you are selectively only remmebering some of what I have said.

My goal is to end the toxic power swap we have had here for 100 years. I won't be floating in FG waters for a long long time nor FF's.

The Greens got a preference from me last time but unlikely the next time out.

Out of pure curiosity who got your vote in 2016?

• Advertisement

To my eternal shame I decided to trust FG again. I'll never forgive myself they completely abused my trust.

Just because it's common, doesn't make it right. I am sure that taxpayer money could be spent on more worthwhile causes amongst our public services.

I feel your pain. I voted FG for 20+ years right up until 2011. Never ever again. The New Politics lie sunk me. Catherine Connolly got my #1 in 2016 and 2020 and she has been a brilliant TD. One of the best in the Dail. I gave my #2 to the Social Democrat candidate but unfortunately he did not get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its very interesting to watch the amount of people that are slowly abandoning the major parties, im meeting more and more life long supporters that have had enough of these parties, something fundamental is clearly going wrong in these parties, a very interesting phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Again, that is all just regurgitation. I can read that in a newspaper or press release on the Oireachtas website. The only thing original in your post is invective directed at me. As I said already, you can read about my criticism of the Councils in plenty of threads.

They’re not the only ones. Former TD, Seamus Healy used them to print calendars. What was really annoying about this was including his WUAG County Councilor on it too.

Mind you, they were handy to stick on the fridge once the top and bottom were cut off

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/oireachtas-printing-controversy-td-insists-his-72500-calendars-are-not-for-christmas-35299615.html

Still waiting on a government thread, to hear your view on the government's failure to act on promises made by Jan O'Sulivan and Phil Hogan.

The buck very much stops with the government on reform here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nothing is certain in life. But it's a prediction and better than "zero chance" and "insert party name will be toast in next election" which we see all the time here. Today it is the turn of FG. Tomorrow? well who knows

The specific numbers aren't really the issue here; the point I was making was about the intentions of the parties, specifically Fianna Fail.

You were assuming that if FF + FG +Green had the numbers to form another government then that would happen. I don't think this can be taken for granted at all.

All the signs are that SF will come out of the next election as clearly the largest party, with a massive mandate. But it may still not have the numbers to form its favoured 'broad left' coalition. In that scenario, is FF really going to bring a jaded FG, in power for nearly 15 years, back for another term?

That is why the election campaign will be so fascinating in this new era of utterly butterly merger/I can't believe civil war politics is over.

They will be asked if they will coalesce with one another again, and what do they say? How do you offer something different while saying you will just do what you did before?

Fascinating really.

Your slippery eel act is embarrassing but so be it. I don't care about your opinion on other threads. I am asking simple questions because you are suggesting reform is not needed. I have educated you on the proposed reforms and increased powers of investigation - you're welcome.

Myself and Francie have been asking the same question over and over and you continue to evade it. Why hasn't the FFG government implemented the promised reforms around the local government?

• Advertisement

I think some reforms have taken place. Here in Tipperary, we no longer have North and South Co Councils. Just one Tipperary Co Co. Unless you mean other reforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The opposition had a mandate the last time but ran for cover. Easier to sit on sidelines when covid was around, what if we have another major issue like that?

In terms of a combination of all 3 it is hard to tell. The carry on of some of the parties in opposition mean you have FF supporters who would rather go into government with anyone than a certain party you mention.

Time will tell when MM steps down and the leader of FF will be picked, I expect you might have leadership battle and they will have to make a call if they will or won't go into partnership with an opposition party. The members will then decide but personally from what I can see the mood is certainly swinging more and more toward "no f**king chance".

I assume the Greens will be happy to join into the government again as they will get to actually do some good, some parties prefer to talk about it and not do anything.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that all TD's are at the same BS. It seems a few people ike to point fingers at a party but disregards it when another party member is at the same carry on

Very simple, if they get something printed and they don't collect or they don't use. They pay for it out of their wages

The scale of the issue can be seen in the documentation that accompanied the investigation. The programme actually called out the government on it's failure to introduce any meaningful reform. I would add, that there is fairly clear indications that the governments we have had since the Mahon Tribunal have been complicit in allowing it to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well that is a lie, given you have been pounding the SF drum since 2010 on this site... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but the numbers were not there, realistically, for SF to form a government without the involvement of FF or FG. If neither of those parties were prepared to play ball what could SF do? If FF go into the next election, as it appears they will, leaving the door open to a deal with SF, that completely changes the ball game.

No lie. Do you want me to show you YET AGAIN where I posted in 2011 what SF would have to do to get me and others to vote for them?

I have defended SF on issues related to the conflict/war because of the partitionist and Unionist narratives presented here but I did not vote for them in a GE until the last one.

No issue saying who I voted for in the past - I would be more ashamed to say I voted FG but the sad truth is I did vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Why do government supporters keep bringing up this is up that SF ranaway from government after the last election, when it was clear that a government could not have been formed by any of FF/FG or SF with 2 of them going in together? The numbers were not there and if a patch work quilt of a government was formed with the likes of PBP it wouldn't have lasted a month with the likes of Murphy or Boyd Barret in it, who have would walked at the first disagreement or the first crisis.

Also I think the reason for FG's miserable performance in the polls is also related to how they wasted their time in government after promising in 2011 "New Politics" with an end to the cronyism and corruption that had occurred during FF tenure in government. Those promises made by FG are now coming back to haunt them as they are showing not just be the same as FF with the cronyism and corruption but actually they are worse and that is without even starting at the complete shambles that has been made of the Health Service, housing and not to mention the FG leader under criminal investigation. I do wonder would this investigation have been completed already if he was not in government.

Not to go into it in detail as not the thread but if SF had managed to get any parties they would have stopped the coalition. They had first conversations with the Greens after all. FG said they would go into opposition etc etc.

FF decision will be made by the supporters, a lot of supporters unhappy because they felt MM pushed a deal because he wanted to be Taoiseach. So any person wanting to be leader is going to push that message. As I said already ask the supporters on the street and see what the reaction is. No idea why any political party thinks it is a good idea to encourage people to create multiple accounts online to abuse oppositions party supporters, especially in the knowledge that at some stage you will need another party to get into government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The posting history tells another story, Francie. Aint no one buying it I am afraid.

Advertisement