If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG C1 55"

Options
  • 28-03-2022 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Been a while! My Panasonic VT50 I got off you back in 2012 still going strong! I'm thinking about upgrading now though to the LG C1. Don't fancy dropping down a size to the 48" so looking at the 55". Figure its roughly about 2.5cm extra on the width on both sides so its not the worst (even thought the VT50 is already a bit wider than the TV unit 😄). I'm hoping this would be a decent upgrade!

The C1 looks like a great TV but a bit concerned about some of the comments I've seen from people regarding the Sky Q picture quality. Most of our viewing would be Sky Q. We have the Ultra HD pack (included with the pack we have already) but have seen people say that even the HD channels look a bit blurry on their C1. Going from 50" to 55" isn't a huge jump, but its still a bigger picture so wondering would there be an issue with Sky picture quality.

The other issue people mentioned was it being a glass front, but the VT50 is glass also so I imagine it being no worse than it.

Other usage would be Netflix and a small amount of XBox gaming.

How sturdy is the stand? Have a toddler who likes testing the TV out a bit! I know you can get straps to stop it falling forward, but we have a gap behind out TV so it has the potential to fall back. But I'd hope that a toddler wouldn't be able to get enough force to tip it back!

Final thing, does the Sky remote work with the TV (control volume/power)?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Chris_ie.

Many thanks for the email.

Lets start with the reflectiveness of the panel. I can from a Pioneer plasma to my first OLED about 4 years ago and it is no worse then the plasma maybe a little better. Your Panasonic will be the same so I would say you will be used to the reflection in brighter conditions.

The panel itself does not have a glass protective layer like a plasma and can get damaged if too much pressure is applied to it. You need to be very very carful as the panel is so thin.

LG-based OLED are based on thin glass substrates. The glass used is somewhat flexible, similar to the protective glass for cell phone displays, but it does shatter when impacted by a sharp object or excess force.

I recently also upgraded to the 55C14 and it is fantastic. I use Sky Q and haven't notice any drop in quality for HD stations, now in saying that it can also depend on the broadcast quality of the programme going out. The UHD stuff is amazing.

I use mine for lots of football, Netflix and Gaming and it really does perform very well. There are lots of settings so you can adjust it to your liking.

Some Netflix shows are a little grainy but this is down to Netflix unfortunately and the higher quality screens can show this up more sometimes.

The Stand runs nearly the length of the screen so it supports it well. I don't think it could be tipped by a toddler but it really depends how hard it gets pushed. I've a little one who like to try and get at the TV but anytime she has it hasn't even moved with her hitting on the front. (My heart skips a beat when this happens as I'm more worried about the screen breaking rather than it falling over).

The Sky remote with do the usual volume up down, power on/off etc and the LG TV remote can also control the Sky box for switching stations. You will still need both remotes though and they don't do all the functions that each required.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it. The only part that concerns me now is :

"The panel itself does not have a glass protective layer like a plasma and can get damaged if too much pressure is applied to it. You need to be very very carful as the panel is so thin."

The wee fella (2 year old) does tend to stand over at the screen at times and put his hands on it, fine apart from the hand prints everywhere 😄. Once or twice he did run a toy car over it and slightly hit it!! Didn't do damage or anything but I'd be worried with this TV!

Hi Chris_ie.

My wee one is 18 months and has hit the screen with her hands a few times and it was fine too. Then I've seen someone lift it by the corner and press his thumb onto the panel and it smashed it. Although this can also happen with any flat screen as the panels themselves are fragile.

I now make sure she is not alone in the room with the TV for even a second (I even thought of putting it on the wall) and that her play pen is out of throw distance of the TV as she has some pitch on her 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Cheers Kenny. Yeah, could be risky. He's not left on his own in the room but he does wander over at times. Usually pretty good but all it takes is one time! I'll have a think, might be better leaving it until he's that wee bit older. Would be prefer my next upgrade to be OLED instead of getting something in between for now.

No worries Chris_ie.

If anything ever was to happen with my TV my home insurance will cover it.

It's a risk I'm willing to take as OLED are just to good of a TV and once you have had one there is no going to anything else. Same with coming from a Plasma, only an OLED would match them for their Black levels.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.