Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Just goes to show you - "A prophet is never honoured in his home town".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We will probaly end up alright in a couple of years but the next couple years could close you down if we don't get it right and get a bit of luck.we spend alot of time comparing the price of stuff to what it was last year when we should worry about the relationship between current and future prices of each parts of our business.as an example,last year if I was make a payment on our mortgage in pallets of fertilizer it would take 40 pallets of fert to make the payment last year.today it would take 15 pallets to make that payment.should we break everything down to how litres of milk each cost is relative to other parts.probaly diesel is relatively close to what it cost litres,fert way up ,ration at the minute is probaly the relatively the same as it was.just no harm to carry little exercises to watch what is going on

Post edited by K.G. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

Well I'm going full blast as it's a 'normal' year. I'm not buying extras bit not cutting back on fertilizer, meal nor cattle purchases. I maybe wrong but I think it's worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My cattle are bought since last year so I have to cash them out one way or the other. Like you I decided that keeping going was the best option at this stage.

I have all my fertlizer purchased( I think). At the prices I paid fertlizer is 65/ head extra over previous peak fertlizer price. At 380/ ton ration will cost an extra 25/ head.

I am assuming that plastic will cost an extra 1.5/ bale and contractor 2.5/ bale. That will add another 20 euro per head in costs. Total extra direct costs is 110/ head. Add 20 for indirect costs leaving it at 130/ head.

Of beef prices rise by 40 c/ head I be able to pay the same price for stores as last year in the autumn ( 4.55 V 4.15 base). Of they rise or fall by 25c/ kg it +/- 85 euro to maintain my margin.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

More or less same here …drive on efficiently whilst prices are high …there’s a lad in my discussion group who thinks we should cut cow nos .cut production cut meal and cut fertiliser …..and keep the beef calves on top 😴😴😴😴😴bananas stuff and can’t even back it up with figures

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Plastic is quoted 120 on acc 112 cash, was 82 this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Your margin has lower buying power than it did before. 100 is the new 85..

With the running costs increasing, the risk premia also needs to increase substantially, otherwise you get hammered by any sort of shock to the system.

It might work out fine to ignore it for a period but in the medium to long term farms will be on the back foot if not acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Isn't the above statement akin to proclaiming a builder that was able to quote 250k from start to finish for a 3 bed bungalow in early 2020, who's now probably quoting 350k plus for the exact same house with no guarantee it won't end up costing 400lk plus when completed is also on the pigs back.....

Milk at 30 cent a litre with fert circa 340/good 16% ration at 250, and normal Inflation of 2-3% on all other inputs, is multiples more profitable then milk at 41.5 cent with Glanbia at present and fertilizer at 1000 euro plus and meal heading on past the 500 mark if Mills are to be believed

I use five layers on my bes because they are dry so about 23/ roll. Difference is 30/23 = 1.3 so 1.5/bale should well cover the plastic cost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

My margin and increased last year by 20-30/head it something I try to find increase it again this year. However inflation is generally effecting all business's margin at present.

I expect some sort of extra premia this year or a rebate on fertilizer by Government. However I expect to survive without it. My system is inherently profitable. I have factored in different scenarios that is all I can do. You also forget that I have the cattle in the yard I have to turn them back into cash the most efficient way I can.

It's the buying back at year end is where I will make the decision. If cattle are too expensive and I cannot maintain my margin I will go with less stock

However if ration is expensive winter feeders competing with me will struggle more than than I will.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Same here. Cut back about 25% on fert but using more pig slurry to make up the difference. Meal and cattle purchases I’m carrying on like normal. Like yourself I’m thinking I could be wrong but it could be worth the gamble!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Making the same margin this year is not the same. It's a similar number but with less purchasing power.

On top of that payments are by year end going to be down/money value lost a 15% difference in real terms from mid 2021.

Cattle may well be bought at the same rate or cheaper than last year this fall. I wouldn't be surprised but that will lead to significant losses and cut back in years to come for those producers.

Unfortunately ration will be well North of 400 come the summer. It might be North of 500. The potential for costs is all up.

I think that beef and dairy will see great years after this, serious clean out in America likely in the beef sector, dairy cows culled here and across the world. Getting there is the challenge.

Getting to the promised land though..

The question is where will the money come from to pay for the high price of beef? Wages have to start rising fast or it simply wont be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭green daries

Funny there's always money for cars phones booze and everything else but food no food is too dear 🙄🙄🙄🙄 there's people who are driving a car worth north of 50 k shopping for cheap food in Aldi Lidi Tesco etc it's some brainwashing to convince the farmer food won't be bought if it's too dear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Where the current model falls apart is alot of us worked of merchant credit with good terms and plenty of leeway to pay it off throughout the year, the demanding of cash up front for fertiliser at 25k plus a artic load, is the signal for lads to pull up the hand-brake and question the viability of continuing as normal

It's the way it always has been and always will. Cutbacks are going to be made and that will mean chicken, pork and mince will take some market share off the higher value cuts. If ribeyes are making €7/kg after being through the mincer instead of €20+, Larry isn't going to be able to give you a big price increase even if he wanted to...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Probably a good 25% chance at least that the beef market implodes over the next two years.

Whether it's poor weather or credit tightening that sparks it. The whole thing could go very bad yet.

The sfp would track inflation if we were civil servants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

idk should/will the cost of fertilizer have a direct impact on feedstuffs such as Barley, oats or feeding Wheat. There is a limit to what is viable to pay for these so the pain could hit the cereal grower double. Last year prices for feed barley was in around €215/ton. Would €315/ton be possible now if beef prices is at €5/kg. I don't think so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's the consumer that's brainwashed more than the farmer.

Supermarkets, phone companies, car manufacturers, Ryanair, Amazon, fashion labels, the whole lot have spent billions on marketing over the last 20 years to brainwash people into thinking they can have it all. And have it all for half nothing, with no long-term consequences.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It wasn't always the way it has been though.

The farmers share of the retail price is at all time lows, multi generation lows, % of spend on food is lowest in recorded history.

It's accelerated over the last 20 years.

People think the good times will never end but cut back when they do and they've less money in their pocket.

They lock in to flashy cars and big houses in good times but food choices aren't locked in so are changed according to prevailing conditions.

That has always been the way people have operated and this time will be no different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

I think the fact that bottled water is cheaper than milk says it all really. People have plenty money for frivolous spending in cafés, holidays, flash cars, disposable clothes, technology, the list goes on. When we were growing up we never had many luxuries but good food on the table was number 1. People under valued accommodation for long enough too and look where it led. The standard of living at the moment is unprecedented and unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Theres alot of blame to go around on this - firstly the Industrial Farm Lobby itself for its unstinting support of the "Cheap Food Policy" which has caused a myriad of negative impacts for farmers themselves which I and others here all ready mentioned on this and other threads. The multiples too of course and their treatment of primary producers and using the likes of Veg etc. as loss leaders to the extent of destroying the viability of our veg, native grain and fruit sector. Also the lies spread by the latter in terms of claiming that consumers will not pay the few cents extra to make locally and sustainably produced product more of a feature on shop selves. A case in point is the survey below.

https://www.checkout.ie/retail/irish-consumers-willing-pay-sustainable-products-packaging-72278

What people say the will pay for and what they actually will pay for are two different things.

People are quite happy to eat asian chicken from delis, polish or dutch chicken at a restaurant and only buy irish chicken in the supermarket.

Switching from steak to mince twice a month will save a couple the netflix fee. Will people make that trade off? I would say it's guaranteed too happen.

Similar choices will be made across the rest of the shooping basket

It's more than that. People have no problem going to a restaurant and paying 20 euro for a main course and if they want a steak paying a 10 euro supplement.

Or going to a fast food joint and paying 8-10 euro and more for a burger meal. The farmer is being paid less than 2 euro for the food content. food content

Chicken and pork will actually increase as a percentage much more than beef. Chicken has always been a small margin business for supermarkets, they have used them as a kind of loss leader. Over the last 12 months it interesting with the ending of cheap grain to see the way chicken and pork.gas gone. There is now no three euro chickens or trays of pork chops for 3 or 4 euro either. Chicken breasts are now two euro each.

If ration goes up by 50% expect chicken to go up by 30%+. As well energy prices effect them more than us. Retailers have a decent margin on beef over the last few years and used it to subsidize lamb to an extent.

Will people eat less yes. But good in general will get more scarce and will cost more.

At the end of it we are going to see inflation. It is hitting everything. People will have to adjust. We will have SF spinning that somebody else can pay but at the end of it people will have to adjust there spending habits. It will effect the service and luxury items section of the economy.

Slava Ukrainii

The problem is that the share the farmer gets is at historical lows, there have always been ups and downs economically but the farmer got a reasonable price.

. I'm not talking about just in a life time but from records going back even in to ancient history.

That relationship started breaking down in the 90s and has accelerated in the last 10 years.

It was a conscious decision, and allowed for by a deep contempt for food production. Maybe that contempt was always there but how the money was divided was more balanced.

The farmer can still get the smallest part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I remember as a kid the fresh meat counter in the big supermarkets. They weren't doing much business eventhough the grocery isles were packed with curious customers fresh meat hadn't a good name there. Of course the local butcher was a good business. I recon in the 80s the supermarket was selling meat as a lost leader just to provide the service. Meat factories didn't care as they had their margin secure. Thing is those days beef arrived at the supermarket in the form of hind and forequarter format only for their butcher to cut the product down.

Oh how times have changed, supermarkets got on top no intervention available to the factories so they had to reinvent themselves and complete in the market. Everything arrives in trays now.

Advertisement