Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Phone approx €250

• 17-03-2022 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new phone but don't really want to spend more than €250. Current phone is Samsung A70 which was just perfect for my needs but battery is failing on it. Bought in June 2019.

My wife got a POCO X3 Pro at Christmas for 210 euro. Something like that would be perfect. It's €290 on Gomobi now though.

Only real requirement, spec wise, is a big screen like on the A70 (6.7"). Will need expandable memory too. Currently have 128GB internal and 128GB SD card. I guess a 256GB non expandable will be OK.

I've no manufacturer preference.

Online purchase fine too.

Probably not going to get what I'm looking for coming in on budget am I ?🤣🤣

Thanks

Post edited by G1032 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What about Xiaomi m11 lite 5g?

I am thinking to get one.

You could get it at Three for €229+€15top up ( have to port number though, to get €100off , but you could switch it back after receiving the phone)

This phone support Eir, GoMo, Vodafone WIFI calling ( it is very important to me as there is practically no mobile coverage at home)

ps. Not many android phones support WIFI calling in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wickan3080

with Xiaomi & poco you are going to get updates but maybe not as many or as quickly as with your samsung A70. If this is not important to you maybe look at https://www.motorola.co.uk/smartphones-moto-g-60-s/p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭G1032

Those two definitely options worth looking at.

Had been checking Harvey Norman site and saw that M11 Lite but it was 299.

I'm with 3 already so couldn't port to get that discount. But I guess I'm not in an immediate hurry so can afford to bide my time for a month or two and see if a deal crops up

I think you could just buy it without top up i.e. for €229( top up later option)

As for the porting , you might just get away without it. Just use any phone number to receive pin code.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You could also look at how much to get a new battery installed if you're otherwise happy with the phone you have?

• Advertisement

Apple has great battery replacement service, €60 for any iPhone. I wonder if Samsung offering similar service?

Fair points re the battery replacement. Reluctant to. Had a Huawei P9 before. Battery started to give up the ghost after 2 years. Loved the phone so got the battery replaced but it was never as good as the original. Kind of have an itch for something different now anyway. Spent a while looking today and have resigned to revising my budget upwards to 300 or so.

OnePlus Nord CE looks nice but no expandable memory

Motorola Edge 20 Lite also looks good but terrible camera reviews.

Currently looking at Motorola G71. Seems to tick the boxes but haven't reviewed fully yet.

And the stock android experience of the Motorola is much preferable to the Xiaomi one although I'll get a better phone for the money with Xiaomi

Looking at 6.43" and upwards also. Limiting myself to 6.7" screen really reduces the choice. The difference between the two sizes can't be that much surely

Gomobi says the G71 has sd card slot but other reviews say it doesn't. Strange.

Gomobi says the G71 has sd card slot but other reviews say it doesn't.

It definitely doesn’t, regardless what gomobi says.

As for the “ stock android experience “, unless it is Google Pixel phone I wouldn’t care.

OK. Fair enough. Xiaomi is just different to anything I've been used to but wouldn't take much getting used to I guess

I own Xiaomi Mi8 , still working great after 3 years.

I do like MIUI 12 gestures navigation, same as iOS experience.

I also have Pixel 3a , apart from Haptic Touch and Camera, I believe MI 8 is better phone.

• Advertisement

Leaning heavily towards this now. Thanks for the tip.

Redmi 10 Pro also a possibility. Has a headphone jack, which is handy, because although I mainly use Bluetooth headphones, there are times I use wired headphones.

Nice comparison tool.Personally, I wouldn’t go for Redmi, screen probably better though.

ps.After ordering Mi11 lite 5G for €229.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How difficult is it to transfer the pics/vidoes/messages etc from a Samsung to a new Xiaomi?

I was going to buy a new Samsung but I think I would prefer this phone;

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G | 128GB | 5G | Mint Green | Ireland (harveynorman.ie)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Collected my M11 lite 5G NE from Three store €229 ( not going to port my old number btw)

Phone came unlocked to any network.

Cons:

It doesn’t feel as premium as Xiaomi Mi 8 . Plastic frame , not aluminium,

back probably made of plastic too , not glass( not 100% sure about it).

Pros: -Haptic Touch vibration

- WIFI calling enabled

- Voice over 4G enabled

- 3.5mm to USB-c audio adapter included

- Fast charger included

• protective film already applied on the screen
    • protective bumper case included ( cheap clear PTU, but it is OK for the start)
    • unlike Mi8 phone UI seems to have very little Xiaomi apps preinstalled , almost pure Android.
    • Restored backup from Google cloud in a minutes ( including SMS )

I was going to buy different phone to be honest ( iPhone 13 Pro Max) but with the current climate decided to get something on the different budget ( with WIFI calling feature mandatory)

I’ll wait until iPhone get rid off Lightning . That was the excuse :)

Thanks for that update

I think I'm going to absolutely blow my budget and go for the POCO F3 256 GB.

I won't need a micro SD slot with the 256GB. Not gone on the POCO skin but I'll get over it.

Every comparison I make with mid range phones under 400 ends with the F3 the winner.

Mi 11Lite at €229 still on the radar but I just know I won't be happy leaving the F3 behind. €80 over budget but what harm. Camera is the weak point but expectations on camera quality need to be managed in this price range and it's not the main concern for me anyway.

If you back up to Google Drive I think you can restore data that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Get a Moto!

Poco F3 256Gb good value at the moment, £249 at Amazon.co.uk.

Snapdragon 870 CPU probably the best gaming SoC for Android, I would avoid 888 at any cost as it is absolutely useless due to throttling ( unless it is phone with advanced cooling system)

Do you do any mobile gaming? COD, PUBG etc?

Post edited by alec76 on

I don't do any gaming but what I do need the extra processor power for is for casting 1080p or higher through BubbleUPnP app (which I use a lot). Samsung A70 can only handle 720P which is annoying to say the least.

Got a Realme GT Neo 2 off Gomibo about an hour ago. It's an 'as new' phone. I have 30 days no quibble return so I'll see how it goes. 100 over budget 🤣🤣 but 256GB so no compromise on storage space. No headphone jack which is a pain but it has a 65W fast charger for 0-100 in 36 minutes.

I'll send straight back if 'as new' turns out to be anything other than 'as new'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

You sure its unlocked? Im not on Three but at 229 Id nearly be tempted away from a Oneplus Nord 2(cheapest I can find is 350 on amazon de)

It is with Vodafone SIM at the moment, so yes , I am sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Post edited by superflyninja on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not really, due to shortage of 780g SoC they replaced it with 778g SoC . There is no other difference . (Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Vs 6 hardly a thing, glass is still glass)@

ps.Harvey Norman has BOTH variants for €299

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Would a Poco F3 be worth looking at?

Very much so. Supposed to be a fantastic phone. V happy however with my GT Neo 2 but if I hadn't gotten this I'd have gotten the F3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

I got a Xaomi Redmi Note 10 5g (there's a mouthful of a name) about 6 months ago. I think it's the best phone I've had by some distance. Plenty of processing power. Great camera. Fantastic battery. It cost €199 SIM free with Three. I've been getting this price level of phone for a few years. Moto-G, Huawei, Vodafone Smart Ultra etc. All good phones and good value for the price. But I always felt I was losing out on the higher end phones. This Redmi Note 10 is the first one I've had where I don't feel like that. I'm sure there is a spec gap Vs a phone that cost €1000 more but it's not at all noticeable in day to day usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I bought the Xiaomi last weekend and I am delighted with it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

More updates on Xiaomi Mi11 5G lite NE.

Unfortunately EIR WIFI Calling/VoLTE doesn’t work with this phone ( Vodafone WIFI calling/VoLTE working without issues at the same time)

Advertisement