Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I wonder what today will bring now that reactions from other parts of the world have been coming in overnight. Only early morning here on the west coast, so id expect as the day goes on, the sour taste will become more apparent.

I would say comedians got about a years worth of material on Smith already at this stage.

The great thing for Rock is he can get all that money back he lost in his divorce now. Lawyers licking their lips at an assault on live television beamed around the world. Rock should be checking himself into a clinic now for emotional stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I was watching live and initially thought it might have been a setup and it was a ‘stunt’ slap. But once the shouting and repeated F bomb was used, along with the deathly silence in the auditorium that followed where everyone realised this was not ‘a bit’ and then the way Rock was after it; he tried to ride it out but kept getting his words mixed up, was clearly shaken, then almost gave up and said “let’s just go to the nominations”…It was no doubt 100% real IMO. It’ll be interesting to see how it develops…

One of several things it overshadowed was Coppola’s acknowledgment of Robert Evan’s part in the success of The Godfather shortly afterwards - that was a huge moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Dancing to his own (terrible) songs like nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well he was hurt & visibly shaken by the incident, you could hear it in his voice- he went off cue and found it difficult to compose himself ...i'm no fan of Chris Rock i can take him or leave him, but i wouldn't call him weak for pressing charges, I mean Smith didn't even apologise to him afterwards when he collected his award which if I was Rock i'd be mighty miffed about😗

Chris Rock was going to say that his cheek and jaw weren't going to be right until about August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

and no sign of his missus. She's probably gone off with Chris for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

This is becoming a very elaborate prank, with Will Smith watching his career go down the toilet and still refusing to break character. You have to admire his commitment to the bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I'd say that Chris Rock woke up this morning feeling good about himself.

Staged or not. Crass joke or not.

He's thinking - cracked a joke. Got a slap in the mouth for it. Millions of people who didn't know who I was yesterday now think that I am the most edgy comedian in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

yet it wasnt, so dont be bringing your if my aunt had balls argument into this.

You wanna make fun of a womans disease then prepare for the consequences if her partner takes exception, If your not enough of a comedian to make jokes without resorting to the lowest then be prepared for the backlash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

this is a long thread so may have missed it but how the hell does coda win best picture ahead of licorice pizza and dune? it's a cute remake of a cute film (i personally prefer the original), but neither are great tbh, and definitely not oscar worthy. Woke culture at its worst i guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

He's not leaving go of that Statue.....for love nor money!!

He must consider it part of the family now and he needs to protect it and love it, Bless.

That is....Until the Academy "social services" come to take it into protective custody......

Everyone else in the family seems fine now anyway at least, and need no further attention during party time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I thought woke was a new concept, genuinely confused on what it means anymore. Didn't marlee marlin win an Oscar for quite a similar movie in the eighties with William Hurt ( who was a terrible person but honoured at this year's ceremony).

When they take it off him, his wife will have a "this is racism" video ready to roll. Just watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have zero idea what ‘woke’ means in the context of CODA, a completely down-the-middle and mild-mannered film that honestly could’ve been made any time in the last few decades. Just because it has several deaf characters?

I don’t think it deserved Best Picture (I preferred it to at least three or four of the other contenders, but much preferred several others) but it’s the sort of sentimental, feel-good film that has reliably won Oscars long, long before the contemporary culture wars. I mean Marlee Matlin herself won an Oscar several decades ago. If anything, CODA’s probably the softest and least provocative of the recent Oscar wins.

she did for children of a lesser god in the 80s but whilst not a great film, her performance was amazing from what i can remember, and i don't think anyone, at the time or now, would deny her the oscar regardless of deaf or not, and call it wokeness.

although, you're probably right, adding wokeness to the argument for this film might generate responses around that rather than whether it's a great film or not (it's not). i take it back!!!😀

i agree. probably shouldn't have used it, but i just see it as an overly used term for injustice in society, and fight for the minorities, so anything that highlights and shows the strength and struggles of a minority group gets more attention.

'

Coda has to be one of the worst "best picture" awards considering some of the competition it was up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve long considered Will Smith a particularly dopey excuse for an actor but that scumbaggery last night really sums him up

a few year ago he turned down Django unchained because he wanted to “protect the brand”

hows the brand going for ye now will eh??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

What's more, last year's Sound Of Metal was a far better film and far more affecting too (imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Didn't he win an Oscar for using his words? Two dimwits, like a pair of roaring drunks at each other, but I guess they are famous so they can be tools as often as they like. The rest of us we hope are better dragged up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

https://twitter.com/craigycraigo84/status/1508414140871811084?t=8shcEZoulN7aULMUE7U8_Q&s=19

Both smiling after the 'incident'

Rocks eyes keep looking off to the right - they should be looking at Smith if he was just genuinely assaulted.

Fake as fake can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sky news showing coverage of it

rock makes the joke

cut to will Smith breaking his arse laughing at it

cut back to rock on stage enjoying the audience reaction to the joke

all good so far ...

next thing we hear will Smith is on the war path heading up to confront rock

id bet any money the wife was like a boiled sh1te over the remark and prodded dopey will to go up there and do “something”

ppl here are saying she had a mug on her like a bulldog chewing a thistle all night

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Far more affecting ? For you maybe. But for the Deaf films like CODA have far more meaning. Its identity. Its culture. Its tradition. Its language. Its history. Its stories. Its jokes. Its us.

In the last century alone Deaf worldwide have faced forced sterilisation, eugenics, oralism, segregation, mass murder, implantation, neo eugenics , the list goes on. It's still happening. Yet our community survives.

It's good people are becoming aware of us through movies like CODA.

Sound of metal is more about the medical model of disability when a hearing person becomes deafened rather about a socio linguistic minority like the Deaf community.

You wouldn't even get this kind of garbage in an episode of CSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

You're clearly not exposed to much comedy these days. It's a good thing Ricky G. wasn't hosting. That was completely mild mannered and, as someone rightly pointed out, if it was a women that said it ( and I can tell you some female comedians are the absolute terrors when it comes to offensive), then Smith would have been arrested on the spot. Double Standards. A complete criminal overreaction to an underwhelming quip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Will tanked a lot of credibility when he made that dire film with Jaden ("After Earth"?).

At least with this side of Smith out in public the darker take on Fresh Prince of Bel Air makes sense hah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The absolute proof of how much of a fückin **** the guy is… about 3 seconds after the joke is made, the camera cuts to Smith and he’s pissing himself laughing, absolutely in hysterics…

then he’s all pissed off, up on stage, Mr disgruntled, hitting Chris Rock…. The fûck is all that about ? Absolute creep… I wonder did he get a ‘prod’, the ‘look’ or a bôllocking off his wife….

laughing along to punching in 20 seconds …creepy

thought Rock handled himself perfectly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Probably said she was taking a couple of the waiters home to bed if Will didnt leap to her aid.

• Advertisement

Course that's pretty much what happened but instead people are "picking the incident apart" in the media. I doubt she straight up egged Smith on but something clicked. Trying to think if I've ever seen her look like she was enjoying herself in any media appearance. :P

Pretty much every guy has seen that look and thought "Ah ****" or, if they're lucky "Ho-ho! Will is in for when he gets home.". Only thing is in this case the woman involved has publicly humiliated and cucked (and not in the recent online nonsense) and this happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Congrats to our no. 1 critical thinker of the day for thinking this was a staged event.

My take on it;

Rock crossed a line with his joke. Deserved a puck in the jaw.

Will Smith crossed a line with the puck. As much as someone deserves a puck in the jaw you just have to be the bigger man and react with words.

So two lines being crossed equals a collision unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Remember the glory years of film in the mid to late 2000s. There will be blood, no country for old men, the departed, atonement, into the wild, drive. And earlier years Braveheart, shawshank, goodfellas. The films of past 2 years have been poor compared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

😁

imagine if he did just as Will Smith return to his seat, Smith would have raced back on and Rock would have legged it and security would have been called to the stage resulting in 'total bedlam' - oh how i wish it happened, maybe next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Looks like the daughter also got a GI Jane haircut. And the son Jaden is a right a-hole, reckon he is one right spoilt brat.

So the Academy are now conducting a review of the incident. Best not get too attached to that trophy, Will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sort of surprised Regina, Denzel, Amy or even Wanda didn't try to break it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I fear not. In terms of acting, he’s a lightweight but big box office. The type that Hollywood loves - one dimensional but able to ham it up really successfully for action movies.

Nothing matters in America but money. Nothing.

He will survive because he makes money for studios. That don’t give one **** about the woke stuff they portray - it’s all box office baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Just arrived in the thread. Was it discussed yet about how it was a fake staged slap in the face to boost publicity? Because it clearly was but I suppose it has people talking about it.

• Advertisement

No, you are the first one to mention it. Please, tell us how it was staged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It wasn't really a joke and he seemed a bit pleased with his own cleverness after spouting it. I agree that making fun in public of other peoples conditions is scrote stuff and he deserved a good belt. Very few would have done it though, it'll learn him and put a few manners on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Last year was pretty poor, but Nomadland was great and rightly won. This year licorice pizza and dune were fantastic. I liked most of your list above, but definitely not all😂

You can see Chris Rock lean slightly to his left, taking is weight off his right leg as Will Smith approaches. He then moves his face to the right in perfect timing with the strike. Will Smith definitely connected with him but it was harmless. The camera angle and everything was set up perfectly. Will Smith even hit his own wired microphone with his left hand to add to the sound effects.

They are actors, it is all staged for publicity. Watch it back in slow motion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, the camera angles do tend to be perfectly set up when the entire aim is to capture multiple angles of a person standing in a single designated spot as part of a highly orchestrated televised awards show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

The least interesting thing about this incident is the potential it was staged (obviously not). Yet this is all this thread is discussing.

what Is fascinating is how Hollywood will respond to this. It was interesting to see all the ‘stars’ avoiding making any comment. They are waiting to see what the consensus is before jumping on the band wagon.

Will Smith will survive this. It’s all about money - Hollywood has no principals - none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The words were more aggressive than the slap. No way were they planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Thats wrong though. Plenty of money making celebrities have been cancelled. I think Smith will survive in this case though cos of the defending his wife angle.

• Advertisement

Will Smith was clearly the focus of attention so why did they choose the angle to his back unless they knew he was going to do something pre-planned?

Advertisement