Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fitzy and Cooper are lacking game time. Fenton looks lost, as does Howard. Rock has been terrible in pretty much every game this year. Even Mister dependable Kilkenny was fairly poor today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

At least the Leinster championship will provide plenty of opposition for division 2 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For the 5 goals that Shiels conceded in the Donegal and Monaghan games his positioning was awful for 4 of them, 1 was a penalty. As a goalkeeping coach I was roaring at the tv. I'm sure he'll learn from the experience but it has contributed the demotion to division 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I don't know what Dessie is talking about when I listen to his media sound bites.

The integration of some of the younger players? What integration? The younger players (the ones that will hold a place are not even young) have come in and run around a bit. There has been no integration.

Re-energise some of the senior players? Why do they suddenly need re-energising? There was no lack of appetite under previous management. The players falling off would previously have run through walls for the cause.

He's a bluffer. There's no other word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

At least I am getting good ideas for what to write on the ‘time capsule’ on the census. 🤨

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I think Kilkenny is only suited with dynamic players full of energy around him. Good player as he is he only slows down play. And needs other players to make runs for him to work off. Rock is gone as far as threat from play.

Fenton at least has flashes of brilliance but again if he has no one to work off he can look like a luxury player.

Howard and Scully are going to be heavily leaned on in the next few years. They will have to find consistency. Farrell seems unsure how to use Howard in particular. It all seems so messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It looks like Dessie and his management team have little idea of their team .Lads were brought on willy nilly in the closing stages of matches no time to do anything .The whole set up seems wrong on and off the field and he will do well to redeem the situation to any real degree this summer .Hopefully he does of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are not too far off the mark. Dublin was a unit/team made up of fit strong players. I actually surprised how far Fenton has regressed. Two years ago I rated him up there with Jack O'Shea. However now that the team around him has changed he has slipped back to being an average player. Even after the Kerry team faded after 1986, Jacko and Pat Spillane were still good players and worked very hard.

I actually think Kilkenny is burnt out. As well teams know he the player to watch/ mark. Dublin carried Rock as a freetaker/scorer even in there prime. He was never had to work as hard as the rest. Now he only contributes on the score board and they cannot carry him for that any longer

Dublin have an old backline now with Fitzsimmons, Cooper and McCarthy any team that runs at them or kick ball against that backline will get scores. McDaid and Byrne are noe supposed to be good enough and were not really in there early twenties. Murchan is the only top class defender they have now.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

I think Kilkenny is well able to play on the inside forward line and get decent scores. The lack of movement up front is killing all the players, not just him.

Fenton is still one of our better performers but we need to have Scully and Howard playing a lot closer to him than we are currently seeing. Bugler in the half forwards just doesn't work for me either. In fact, he is playing closer to where Howard should be.

Half backs are a HUGE problem. Maybe McCarthy needs to drop back there but something needs doing. I'd nearly have Bugler at centre back.

We have too many square pegs and round holes at the moment.

So basically all Dublin have to do is find five or so Shane Ryan’s who can play anywhere and would run all day. It will be grand….😩

• Advertisement

You might be on to something there.

Seriously that is the approach I would have thought Farrell would have went with. Not as many natural ‘footballers’.

Get fellas that are not as skilful, but work like mad. Which makes it even more annoying to me at the way he approached it. As hard workers can mask lack of skill. And the more skilful fellas need the support around them.

It will be interesting to see what type of players the manager after Farrell goes for.

I have given up on Dessie Farrell at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did Mickey Moran step away from Kilcoo after the club final. Would he be tempted to take the job if the DCB offered it to him. He has a good CV.

Whelo on about Dublin and the relegation @10:00

Notably no criticism of Dessie Farrell. Seems to blame the Dublin backs. But no mention of management and the team the manager set up.

Probably a bit worse than that. After finding the 4-5 players to fill the gaps which will take 3 years. Kilkenny and Fenton mainly will be past there sell by date then. You are looking at a complete team restructure in the next 5 years. The hardest part is getting started. To do that you have to take the performance hit for two years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

We had two u20 teams that reached AI finals in 2019 & 2020. I expect them players to backbone team in future. Dessie has used 14/15 of them in league/OBC. Will see more game time next year.

Not a hope. Managed 5/6 counties and won very little .

Bugler has been one of our best players in the forwards. Has scored 10/11 points. Half back line for championship will be more than likely Murchan, Small and McDaid. Lee Gannon will be pushing for a spot there. McCarthy will be needed at midfield with POCB injured.

Cooper won't be starting championship. Will be brought in for last 15 minutes. McCarthy will be midfield. FB line needs more protection. Fitzy badly exposed yesterday .Byrne starting since his 22. McDaid had a lot injuries but is improving. Still have Murphy, Gannon and John Small to push for starting slots.

The fact Mullins is mentioned shows the lack of quality managers available to Dublin. Mullins last managed intercounty with Derry in 98 which was far from a success. Didn't have any success with Vincent's in his two recent spells. Clarke, Darcy and Jayo are more coaches than managers. Gilroy and Gavin have work commitments. The top clubs in Dublin are bringing in managers from the country.

Recent u20 managers are volunteers brought in managing development squads from u14. Definitely not senior intercounty material. Jim and Dessie learned the ropes from u21. CB need to be putting potential manager into u20 roles . All county teams including minor, u20 playing same tactics Gavin and Darcy introduced in 2017. We have become too predictable in our play. We are struggling to break down average teams. You can blame Dessie for drop in standards in coaching but players need to step up too. He lost one championship game when a 45 was retaken. We drew with Mayo in 2015 after letting a 8 point lead slip. The difference was Dublin got a replay that day. Dessie was unfortunate game went to extra time which swung momentum in mayo favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭billyhead

I can see Lahiff staying in midfield and McCarthy, Small and Murchan in the half back line. The full back line will be Cooper, Fitzsimons and Byrne.

Lahiff got better as league went on. Got a dirty belt at the throw up yesterday and had go off. Would still prefer McCarthy in there.. Jonny brought much leadership to backs on his return but can't see him and Mick Fitz starting together. Cian Murphy played well against Donegal and thought should have started yesterday .

Sure he had a year and a bit properly so far. And all he has managed to do is 'break' Comerford. Simple high ball = chaos. And it was worse he got after that. I have a feeling I know what will happen with Dublin in div2. They will go in completely untested in the Championship.

They will have even less of a fear factor in Leinster and probably struggle there as well. If by some miracle Dublin get out of Leinster in a final etc - any half decent team will give them a hiding. This year I expect the Kildare forwards to destroy Dublin. It might be a good thing long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

I just saw an interview with Farrell on a Dublin channel and he said they weren't really thinking about the relegation battle. You'd never here Gavin say that. Not that Dublin would be in a relegation battle anyway.

We are stuck with the manager and his team for the championship and after that he will have had two years to put his own stamp on the team we will see very clearly what that is . Some posters on another forum seem to believe we still have a team who can beat anyone .I wouldn’t share their optimism on what I have seen since last year .

If we have first 15 fit we will give anyone a game. Problem is we lack a bench outside 2/3 lads. It time for young lads to make a name for themselves.

Post edited by Gael85 on

We will at least need our established players finding their form our team on paper looked strong the last day but didn't perform like a top side . We have been spoilt rotten over the last decade so consider myself very lucky to witnessed the success that prior I could only dream about happening. I knew a drop was coming it just seems to have come a bit quicker and harder than I anticipated.

The reason the drop has seem to come harder and faster is because the 2020 win was an anomaly if COVID. As well last year Leinster shielded Dublin from reality of an aging team.

In 2020 a few of the better teams mainly Kerry, and the Northern team team took there eye off the ball. They were all looming 2-3 game further on than they should have. Leinster teams were beaten before they took the field it was similar in 2021.

I do not think Dublin would have won an AI in 2020 ex except for Cavan and Tipperary winning provincial championship's.

Because they won in 2020 the core of the team stated together for 2021.

On paper dose it look a strong. Not really. It's has 4 players that are 31/32. It has 3-4 players who were not good enough at 22/23 to make the team and are now making the team.

The team is dependent on 3-4 top notch players in the 25-30 year age profile and 2-3 you ger players. The bench is below par for a top level team.

Could they win an AI this year ya they could Kerry could fumble again somewhere. Mayo and Tyrone would need to slip up as well ( well maybe not Mayo they usually find a way to lose). Dublin would fancy there chances against Monoghan, Donegal or Galway....but all of these would fancy there chanc s as well

Slava Ukrainii

Dublin could only play what was in front of them in 2020. If kerry couldn't beat a D3 team who subsequently lost to Tipp they had no business been in an AI final so they no point turning back the clock.

• Advertisement

Look I am not complaining about Dublin winning. What I just pointed out was that it was an anomaly and it the reason some people may thing Dublin collapse is a sudden downward spiral. If course they could only beat what was before them but there decline looks sudden because of it.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement