Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Barca are adapting fast to life without Messi, over last 15 league games they'd be top, they haven't lost a game in weeks, and CL looks very likely now. It was the lack of people in the stadium that screwed them over, but with Camp Nou full week in week out they are crawling out of the red. Buying Salah would be another huge step back to the top, and Villa will most likely keep Coutinho , so that's 34m, Dembele will leave also, so that's another huge earner off the books. It's possible at least that they could buy Salah, not impossible that's for sure.

They beat Madrid last week. Now they think they are back in the big time again. Deluded stuff, but not surprising from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Don't suppose there's much chance of Virg getting a rest against Germany in the week. Seems to play every minute of every game for the Netherlands. Hendo played the full 90 last night so hopefully he gets the next game off. Fabinho only played 8 minutes so he'll probably play Brazils next one unfortunately. Alisson likely rotated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They got their seat on the board and now it's fcuk the common man lol

Well VVD had a dig at van Gaal so maybe van Gaal will drop him.

“Until today we have been training hard, with lots of tactics and meetings. There are good times but also things to improve,” 

“We will analyse this. Of course, we are playing in a new system, different things are required of the players. But I think we showed a lot of good things.

“Do I like the system? Well, I’m still in favour of 4-3-3 but I’m not the national coach and the national coach has a very strong opinion about it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was never my intention to create a discussion about Gulacsi, but the original plan for him was that he would sign a contract extension and then go out on loan for two seasons (2012/13, 2013/14) before becoming the #2 keeper in 2014/15. RB Salzburg are the club he was supposed to go on loan to, instead he signed for them on a free transfer when his contract expired at the end of the 2012/13 season.

Mignolet wasn't good enough to displace Reina at #1 in 2013. He wasn't even the best keeper that was available that summer. What he had in his favor was his potential resale value because he was an established international player, although he had at that point been displaced as the Belgium #1.

Rodgers tried to sign Michel Vorm before the 2014/15 season, that in itself should tell you that the manager saw that there was an issue. At the time Rodgers was talking up the need for a goalkeeper to be comfortable with the ball at their feet, that was never part of Mignolet's game and it's something he never adapted. In contrast it is something that Reina had and Gulasci developed during his career.

"You have to be really good with the ball on your feet," Gulacsi says. "That's one thing of course -- playing behind the high defensive line is also important.

"I always say the main thing of goalkeepers still is to save the ball, of course, and this is the most important -- there are a lot of small things before that with decision-making with positioning. The big thing for the future is decision-making because you don't have much time and you have to be in the right position to be able to make that save -- we see that with top goalkeepers that their decision-making and positioning is really spot on.

"Nowadays, if you want to be a top goalkeeper, you cannot just be good in one area. You have to be 9 out of 10 in everything -- this is the challenge because the game is getting quicker and quicker and quicker, and as a goalkeeper you always have to adapt."

In 2012, Wilmot's made no secret of the fact that he believed that Mignolet lacked the mentality to push himself to be a #1. He needed to be challenged in order to improve, but he didn't get that at Liverpool because Reina was sent on loan in order to accommodate him. Until Karius was signed in 2016, his position was never under threat. The club could have tried to sign Alisson on Doni's recommendation at that point but they had determined that he wouldn't have qualified for a work permit.

Karius has chosen to sit out his contract and will leave on a free at the end of the season, some have been critical of him for choosing to do so. After Karius and Alisson displaced him, Mignolet had a few moans to the Belgian media about his position but he never seriously looked to move on. In 2019 he left Liverpool for an undisclosed fee which at the time was reported to be for the value of his remaining contract.

Mignolet is a nice guy but he was never good enough to be our first choice keeper, he now plays for Club Brugge and he's still the same player he always was. Thankfully we don't have to deal with that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Liverpool signed Mignolet as Reina was expected to sign for Barcelona, but, that fell through because Victor Valdes decided to stay at Barca, liverpool then let Reina go to Napoli, which I always thought was a strange decision, but, I think Pepe wanted to leave, I seem to remember stories of him being unhappy at Liverpool at that time. Never said Mignolet was the best goalkeeper available, but, he was as good as what we could attract at the time, you have to remember the best goalkeepers would go to champions league clubs, which we weren't at the time and looked like we wouldn't be for a while. Gulasci wasn't ready to play for a club like Liverpool at the time and Karius wasn't really an upgrade on Mignolet either. It was only when Alisson came in that we finally replaced Reina. The reality is none of the keepers at the club after Reina and before Alisson were good enough for what Liverpool needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I check in now and again with this site on transfer rumours. Ed002 is believed to be a journalist with close contacts inside Anfield, he cuts through the bullshit reported in the papers/online. He says Salah’s agent is actively trying to get a deal through with Barca.

https://www.liverpool-rumours.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I await with anticipation Barcelona bid of £20m + pique + alba + busquets and coutinho on loan.

No idea why his agent would be pushing for a move this summer, as a free agent they both stand to make far more.

• Advertisement

A nowhere near as good Hazard transferred to Real for €140m at the same age and contract stage, that should be the minimum we consider if he was set on leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Unless the offer is 100m plus even with only a year left, I'd rather keep him around for the year and let him sign for whoever next year with a huge signing on fee.

He was bought for a ludicrously low fee considering the impact he's had. Always gives everything for the team so I couldn't begrudge him stupid money signing on fee and wages next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

It was mentioned in the BBC podcast for football. This is the last year that agents can command huge (millions) in fees. The rules are changing on payments and they are getting capped. It’s make or break time for agents.

10% cap for agents on transfer fee…..although there won’t be one for Salah. And 3% of Salah’s considerable salary.

link on it below.

https://www.scoreandchange.com/fifa-to-implement-cap-on-agent-fees/#:~:text=FIFA%20plans%20on%20capping%20agent,fairer%20and%20more%20transparent%20system.

Like everything in life it is about timing. Salah may feel this is the summer to secure a move to Barca. It looks like Mbappe will take the marquee slot at RM, they also apparently want Haaland, but next year. In the summer of 2023 Barca may not want a 31 yr old, and may be looking at other players, Messi’s two years at PSG will be up and no one will be surprised if he goes back there for one last dance.

Like other posters, I’m beginning to think if he doesn’t sign before the season ends, he will be on his way, FSG will not want him to leave for free.

If Salah does leave this summer (hope he doesn't), then we really do need to win the league this season, because without him I can't see us keeping up with City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I could see fsg considering both options. Sell obviously gets cash but its an abrupt amputation of a vital player that is still giving his all for the team.

If he stays then the team is still top tier for another year and that keeps all the other players and the manager happy. If he goes then even with a replacement the team drops a little without the current best player in the world.

They'll want the next up and coming player and timing is crucial with thise deals. Keeping Salah gives them a few options. It alsobrings them closer to the end of klopps contract. It keeps him having successful seasons. They might see more value in having another winning season over getting the cash in for a new player that might take 18 months to be winning material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id take pedri and fati for mo,call it even trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would explain why a certain someone is desperate for Haaland to move now rather than next year...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I can't see Barca being able to afford what Mo is actually looking for tbh, if they want to sign a 30 year old wanting that kind of cash they could have another Coutinho on their hands, be interesting to see what happens there, I don't think Mo "dreams of Barca" like most South American player's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Robbo back in training for Scotland and expected to play tomorrow. He won't get the full 2 weeks rest but on the other hand, he will get a game back under his belt for rhythm.

• Advertisement

We won't turn down 100m plus if he won't sign a contract, were not PSG. We bought Diaz and jota for 70 odd million, we could do alot with 100m. Tough to replace but I have all the faith in the club to what's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, Salah has only said that he wants to stay at Liverpool and play for Liverpool.

"It doesn’t depend on me, but if you asked me I would love to stay until the last day of my football (career),” Salah told Sky Sports.

“At the moment, I can’t see myself ever playing against Liverpool. That would make me sad."

A few reports this evening that Carvalho has agreed personal terms with Liverpool and the clubs have agreed the price.

Also talk that the club will go back to Porto to sign Vitinha.

Pep & Ward's Portuguese connections coming into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

He's publicly saying what he thinks will keep the fans on his side, he wants to stay but it's upto the club to keep him. He's not stopping his agent from spouting his nonsense tho which for me anyway, says he's pushing all the way for more money that the club are willing to pay, knowing that it could force him out.

He's not bigger than the club, and I can't see the money men in charge buckling to his, or his agents demands. I also hope they don't.

If he thinks he can do better elsewhere let him off. If he stays ill be over the moon but I'll get over it if he does move on.

Exactly how I feel about it at this stage, he can say what he wants but actions speak louder than words, telling his agent not to tweet laughing emoji's whilst Klopp is mid press conference would be a start....

I love the guy to death for his football ability and would be devastated myself if we do lose him, but we have survived before and we will survive again if someone like Mo leaves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If it doesn't depend on him, who does it depend on? There are 2 parties to the contract, one has made a more than generous offer (let's face it, its a professional footballers contract, it's going to be massive numbers) and the other is turning his nose up at it. If he wants to go, then so be it but he's not bigger than our club and he'll have to be replaced one day anyway. He could easily end any deadlock by signing for whatever he is offered if he wanted to stay that badly. It's still more than any of us would earn in 10 lifetimes!

It's obviously massive money, but, are Liverpool giving him what he's worth, probably not, as it would break the wage structure, which could have dire consequences. Put it this way would you stay with an employer who isn't willing to match the market rate for your skillset, especially if you know you have probably been underpaid in the last few seasons compared to your peers who aren't performing to your level. Ideally Salah will stay, but, unfortunately the longer this goes on the more likely he is to leave. I think both Liverpool and Salah will lose out if he leaves in the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Apparently he says the salary is not about the money, it's about the status. He wants to be recognized for his contribution to Liverpool, both past and present.

But if he leaves, I don't he'll be able to replicate his form elsewhere. If that's the case, he wont get the status as best player in the world.

If Liverpool win the Champions League and Salah gets Balon D'Or, I wonder if that would change things

• Advertisement

I think you might not be taking into consideration how those other players help Salah to play to his level and how the team set up by Klopp contributes to it. Do you think an employer will pay an employee at any cost, no matter how good they are, knowing there is a reasonable chance their output could decline in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

If we win the CL and Salah gets the Balon D'Or it'd be a double edged sword IMO. It'd obviously be great for both the club and player but it would also strengthen Salah's negotiation. He'd be able to point to the fact he'd had a major role to play in landing the CL and/or PL and he's the best player in the world so why shouldn't he be paid more than any other player in the world?

Also, if we did end up in a situation where we landed CL and/or PL and/or FA Cup and Salah won Balon D'Or it might appear from Salah's perspective as the perfect time to up sticks and go take on a new "project" at PSG or Barca as he'd be leaving LFC at the very top and if he didn't leave at the end of this season the chance to join PSG or Barca may not come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Delusions of grandeur!

Barca undisputedly have grandeur for a lot of players, if they can get the money together and stay within spending regs, don’t underestimate the draw of playing in those red and blue shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Absolutely - Barca are still a top draw for players. Rich history, still one of the biggest clubs in the world, great stadium, great city, nice weather and a more favourable tax rate for players.

I know I'd prefer to live in Barcelona, tanning on a beach, than living in Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d rather see Salah go to literally any other non-UK club than Barca, their collective arrogance just rubs me the wrong way.

He can go to PSG, earn double what he’s on already and be irrelevant for the rest of his career if he wants and it wouldn’t bother me much, but if he joined Barca I have to say, it’d really sting for me, especially with them being at their lowest point in decades (though they seem to be rebounding quickly).

I think it's a matter of time and a few bad results before they are up shìt creek again, there's huge underlying problems in the background of that club, a few bad results the fans will be baying for Xavi's head...

I'm with the club in supporting the wage structure, I've seen the top earners in the league and KDB is about the only deserving player there. Liverpool are not working on a make believe balance sheet like City, we already have one of the highest wage bills. I'd imagine their is scope to go bring a few players up but you cant give Salah 400k and not expect others in the squad looking to be on the same scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They are on -£121m spending currently. They need to make savings of £121m before they can spend more money. And they want Haaland and Salah? They are delusional and will need to show a lot of improvement in their finances before they can afford any new players, nevermind top class ones like Salah or Haaland. Remember they already cut salaries and got buy in from the likes of Pique and their top earners already before they bought more players. Sure they signed a new naming deal for the stadium but they will need a lot more deal like this before they will be able to attract the world's best.

As for Salah, with this as a backdrop there is no way he goes to Barca for more per week than he is offered here. So he needs to put pen to paper if it is not about money. He said he wants to stay, then sign the contract. He has earned more than enough already to be set for life. I am sure his new contract will pay him a lot of money. Don't appeal to supporters emotions, we will support the club long after he is gone. I would prefer him to be honest rather than this cryptic crap we are being fed by him and his agent.

• Advertisement

Yep. We've all been guilty in sure of saying things like "give him what he wants", I know o have when he's scored yet another worldie but it's not realistic, we have to live within our actual means. I hope if he is going it happens in summer 2023 so we get another season of joy with him.

Obviously it'll be a blow to lose him but I doubt it'll be the end of the world, I thought it would be many times previously, most recently with Coutinho and that actually proved a master stroke. Obviously Mo is much much better be if we haven't learned to trust to club transfer lads by now we never will.

I know the way we play suits Salah perfectly and he is unlikely to get that elsewhere, that's why I think both Liverpool and Salah will actually lose out if he leaves in the next year.

Hopefully they can come to some agreement (but, not at the expense of the wage structure either) and we get another few years out of him. It's very easy to say the transfer lads will replace him and I'm sure they'll get someone decent in, but, I can't see them getting someone as successful as Salah has been, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but, there aren't many players like Salah.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Klopp - 'This city is big enough for two clubs, this real one and the other one'. Endearing himself to half of the city haha.

I do hate that he can't go out. Fans and people in general really need to sort themselves out and leave famous people alone when they're out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks like Mo and Mane’s stand-off is going to extra time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Thats what he saying but its such bollocks to me. His lifestyle wont change with the added amount he is after. His status is secure , nobody goes on wages to discern status of players so its bollox imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's only human... as it stands, he's demonstrably hugely undervalued by his employers. That's never a nice feeling to know inside, and im sure we all know it from one thing or another in life. It doesn't sound like he's actually asking for anything like the vast sums he could get from one or two clubs elsewhere, so it doesn't sound like maximizing profit, but rather getting a fair return. Reports are he's asking for about 400k. That's objectively pretty fair for one of the top 2 or 3 players on the planet, and probably half of what he could get if he was purely and exclusively pushing for money. I think everyone can relate to some sort of "well if you don't value me, fck you"

Absolutely none of us knew Mo would turn out as good as he did when we bought him, even Jurgen said the club didn't. You just never know when you buy players. We can't change it anyway so hope for the best and he signs but have faith that the worst won't be as bad as we think 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

No because being valued by your employer is linked to ability to pay and wage structure of your employer. He is the top earner. None of us can relate to these salaries. Hes looking for more money at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement