Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Have a look at his box office receipts. Now, tell us one actor who has been ‘cancelled’ who comes even close in terms of revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

fair enough , but now tell me another example of the box office receipts of an equivalent actor who should have been cancelled and wasnt? Bare in my mine i dont think he will over this. But if chris rock was a woman,smith would be cancelled. So your argument is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I’m sorry but that’s just silly. If Chris Rock was a woman? What the hell does that mean.

You are literally saying all hollywood care about is money. That is not fully true, if Will Smith hit a woman last night he would be cancelled 100% its horeshit to suggest otherwise. Hes getting old, hed be dropped no bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course the reaction would have been different if Will Smith hit a woman / an elderly person / a younger clone of himself alá the Ang Lee sci-fi actioner Gemini Man.

But he didn’t, so we can only work with what we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Much ado about nothing. He slapped him, you'd see worse on a sports pitch any weekend but people act like this was some extreme act of violence.

The joke was stupid. Slapping him was stupid.

Nobody is going to get cancelled, not everything you don't like is "woke", if you think this was staged you're a moron.

I know man , but the poster was saying all hollywood care about is money, thats not the case. They would cancel him if the act was cancel worthy. In this case its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wonder will woke cancel culture Hollywood show some consistency here now and refuse to tolerate Smith’s assaulting someone based off an off the cuff awkward/ill judged joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They might reverse it.

Didnt they deny Russel Crowe his second oscar because of some alteration at a bafta award ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Did Chris Rock have it coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

I can't agree with you in terms of referring to him as a lightweight actor. Have you seen him in Six Degrees of Seperation?

Have getting smacked hard for an awkward joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

If everyone really believes it was staged then surely there should now be #anti-oscars and #no-more-violence campaigns set up on social media? Boycotts against the oscars...etc etc... come on sheeple.... all it takes is one or two influencers to get going....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wish people would stop spouting sh1te like above and finding conspiracies everywhere. There was no focus on Smith. They have cameras in place for all winners walking on stage and also the host. So that’s what we saw.

There’s no reason to stage this as it’s been all negative for Will Smith and potentially career destroying.

You know sometimes people make bad decisions and that’s what has happened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not going to go that direction as far as the Smiths are concerned…

more likely banning Rock on the QT ie. just doesn’t ever get invited and next year or year after Smith will be presenting an award where he makes.. ‘ light ‘ of what transpired..

also they’ll seek to pre approve every potential acceptance speech and actors, directors nominees in each field will sign a contract not to insult, harass or deviate in any meaningful way from the ‘script’.

Chris Rock has had it coming since Lethal Weapon 4 when he got it on with the bosses daughter.

I have to say, I enjoyed the drama of it this morning when I seen it for the first time because it was out of the ordinary and exciting but really and truly, why was Will Smith allowed to physically assault Chris Rock on live TV?

The joke was in very bad taste and I understand Will Smith lost control but he did cross a worse line than Chris Rock did. Chris Rock handled it well in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh for feck sake it has been edited out of the highlights. How boring is that. Booooooo

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Anyone who thinks this was real is a gullible sod! The ratings for the oscars have been tanking for years, they had to do something to save it. You can clearly see Chris Rock prepare himself for the swing.

But there's a sucker born every minute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So how far into it was it before Smith hit someone? I used to like this but I don't really care these days. It's rich up tights full of themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Will Smith wasn't "allowed" to physically assault Chris Rock. Nobody knew that's what he was going to do. Even as Smith approached him, it seemed like Rock even just thought Smith was going to say something to him.

It's been said that they pulled him aside during a break a few minutes later and gave him some sort of warning. I'm sure they didn't know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Literally the only reason 99% of the population is watching 🤣

What ratings? How was this done to improve ratings?

The Oscars is a global event. Now and always.

Rock preparing for the swing? Yes, maybe he was. Like anyone would if a man is approaching you after you’ve insulted his wife..

Only gullible sods would think this was somehow scripted and staged for ratings. Absolute lunacy thinking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolute nonsense....maybe head to the conspiracy theory thread to talk to like minded loopers

Why would Will Smith possibly torch his career lol....then give a tearful apology when he wins the Oscar after....

The police were in on the joke too right?.

Your views align with Gillian McKeith...and er right said Fred....congrats I guess....

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ratings of a live event that by the time anyone not already watching it found out about the slap, the show would be over.

Unless the claim is that due to the slap, people are more likely to watch next year even though the same thing obviously isn't going to happen again. Nor are people going to watch a 3-4-however long hour awards show they wouldn't normally watch next year just in case they do something else controversial.

Exactly what I am thinking..

ratings for when? 2023? As if people are like “let’s all tune into the Oscars this year, because remember that amazing drama in 2022 that we all missed.”

By "allowed", I mean, allowed sit back down and carry on with the show.

A warning isn't good enough for a physical assault.

• Advertisement

He should have been ejected after that. Disgraceful that he was allowed carry on after getting to do that.

Woke cancel culture Hollywood exposed. If that was any ordinary joe at any event he’d be fooking lifted ou’ve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I remember never missing it from about 1992 when Silence of the Lambs won a bunch and circa 2001 when Gladiator won , only seen it the odd time since and havent watched more than half an hour of it in ten years

its deeply boring

Will you be glued to it now next year due to this “staged event that was thought up to boost ratings?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The only gullible person is you in believing in conspiracies.

Please tell me how an unexpected incident in a live event can boost ratings as the people who are not watching do not know it’s happening?

Also the Academy have edited the incident out from all highlights shows being released all over the world including the one being broadcast on RTE 2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Yes exactly. "Tune into Oscars 2023 to see who gets assaulted on stage this year!"

• Advertisement

It's a grand example of how social media and the internet have fucked up normal, rational conversation.

Will Smith slaps a lad for making fun of his baldy wife who is **** rings around him, before winning a poxy Oscar.

Yet here we are, giving each other dogs abuse for questioning it or for not feeling exactly the same way as I want you to feel about it.

Ha.

What a **** world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's the thing here, if it was planned for ratings, there is a million ways better to do it than what occurred (I mean, it was literally 2 actors in a room full of other actors).

But it is interesting to see the conspiracy theorists go there that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

At first I thought it must have been staged because it came out of nowhere.

Then later when he got the Oscar and went on a mentally ill kind of drunken crying rant, I realised it wasn't staged

and he was just having a genuine drug/drink fuelled mental breakdown.

I think the combination of dealing with his son and his promiscuous bitch wife

making a laughing stock of him in Hollywood has clearly broken the poor rich man.

And the contrast between his car crash rich family and and the piss poor williams family in his movie

just got to him.

I believe the meltdown was genuine. The acceptance speech was just far too deranged, drunk/drugged and cringeworthy to be faked.

On re watching the money shot, Chris rock was genuinely a bit shocked but managed to get off a couple of acid quips.

First world rich people's problems though. There are far worse in hollywood than Will smith, for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Academy has launched an investigation into the incident.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely they will take an Oscar back from a black actor who many feel were hard done by in the past, such is the World we live in.

But they could well blacklist him. Or are we saying redlist now?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

What would they do to Ricky Gervais?? probably shoot him with one of their AK47'S !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The joke was close to the bone and yes I could see how the Smiths would find it offensive but Will would have been better served heckling Rock with a "Whatever!" or similar or a caustic boo.

Going on stage and slapping him was just blatant wrong.

His son sent a tweet almost immediately saying something like "that's how we do it". So clearly not a great example to their children that a raised palm settles a score.

If Will hadn't slapped Rock, the son would have made a better stance by using Twitter so throw a dig at Rock and maybe tag a link to an alopecia charity.

The joke could also have been interpreted a different way by the Smiths in that GI Jane is a sex symbol. Someone else in their shoes might have laughed it off and thought "gee thanks for the comparison to a hot action hero".

Rock did well not to walk off humiliated though because I know that's what I would have done.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the Rock made that joke I wonder would Will Smith have been up so quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wanda Sykes is just thankful she didn't make the joke. Cris Rock is a tool though, comedians in general feel like they are above the PC world we live in these days, that they are above getting canceled, as it's '' only a joke'' . But they use that excuse to get so personal with people, and to do it live in front of millions, and for what, a cheap laugh at someones expensive, a lady who loss her hair, who is dealing with the mental torment of it, who is fragile emotionally, you're going to target this lady??? Come on man !

Will was right to kick his ass, he's a man,a father and a husband first, an actor second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Casey Affleck keep his Oscar but did not return the following year to present so may do the same with Will Smith

Maybe The Rock and Kevin Hart will host next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will Smiths kids are very talented, this is his daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the foreign actors and producers - directors are usually pretty sound , its the american stars who feel the need to virtue signal and display their concern for various cultural and political issues

Jessica Chastain was insufferable in her acceptance speech and I like her as an actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Too much diversity in Hollywood now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So funny that they only sign for the coda wins, and they zoom in on the queer winner when chastain talked about lgbt rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah no surprise. I wonder what their reasoning for editing it out would be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement