Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scone and a coffee - how much is too much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

They can of course look for €100 for coffee and scones. I doubt anyone would pay it, which is why they have priced them cheaper.

Nobody is being exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

There won’t be many locals or Tipp folk frequenting this place , it will be mainly rich Americans and the sheikhs that have horses a few miles down the road and that’s exactly who they want . Mates wife went to see this place and have a drink last week . They weren’t allowed into certain areas or bars that were just for residents .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I broke out in a cold sweat having to pay €3.40 for a bag of chips over the weekend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know the receipt says 3 tea and scones but at €45 I wonder was it "Afternoon Tea" rather than a scone & tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not a chance you'd get afternoon tea for 3 for €45. In any hotel.

Cashel Palace is set back from the road, so no traffic buzzing by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Tbf, she specifically says on the thread that it was for 3 scones @ €10 each and 3 coffees @ €5 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Sorry, you're correct. She says in the thread that she sat out the front and there was the noise of the traffic.

Point is there was little opulence people keep taking about. Maybe she should have sat inside to get get money's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I am popping some scones in the oven! Scones €2 at my place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'll take your word for it. Had afternoon tea with my wife a few years back. Can't remember how much it was. Just remember it was expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

this wasnt the palace thow. mikey ryans is on the street

No. It was The Palace. Mikey Ryan’s Bar and Kitchen is next door. I think they’re owned by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I wouldn't be seen dead in Mikey Ryan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I made my scones for about €1. It is hard to justify the prices of eating out now.

You can get scones and various baked goods for heavily discounted prices on Too Good To Go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Opulence my arse, read the Twitter thread. They were sat outside adjacent to a car park on the main street in Cashel on cheap garden furniture you'd pick up in Homebase and waited 25 mins after their coffee for these magnificent, diamond encrusted scones that cost 10 euro.

It's a ridiculous price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think people who believe this have lost touch of reality or else they are just easy to fool. Theirs nothing special about a scone, it's made with fairly generic ingredients and I bet there coffee ain't that much better than starbucks or Costa. The surroundings don't sound special, just a decent venue, your hardly getting a majestic view overlooking the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

15 Euros for a bun and a bit of water fragranced with beaten coffee beans? Is it 2005 again in Cashel?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭enricoh

They wouldn't get 100 likes on Twitter then, n that is no use at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I can only imagine they charge this because people pay it.

I wouldn't pay it myself for a scone and coffee or tea.

TBH I wouldn't be getting my knickers in a knot over it. No one has a gun pointed at their heads making them spend this money.

What I can't understand is why people pay this amount and then upload the receipt on social media, similar to the outraged who buy a pint in temple bar.

I would really worry about hospitality this year and next. There’ll be no support coming and I don’t believe that people will continue to pay these prices. Prices for breakfasts in my local, not flash, cafe in inchicore have been jacked right up. Once the post Covid spending splurge recedes, people will start to notice their bills and grocery costs. I’d be considered well paid but I’ve pulled right back on coffee and snacks from local cafes, as well as pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There seems to be a bit of confusion over whether they were sat outside some pub with the traffic roaring by, or if it was posh scones and coffee in the lap of luxury of a 5* fabulous hotel.

If it was the latter, then I don't see a problem - we've paid stupid money on a few occasions for an afternoon tea treat with our mother in the Merrion Hotel - when you boil it down it was a few sambos and cakes, and some tea and coffee - but they were all amazing, and we enjoyed every crumb/ drop/ minute.

If it was seats outside a pub on the side of the road - well, then I'd have a few questions alright!

I don't know either establishment, though, so I can't really understand why the confusion.....

But price =/= value necessarily, in either direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sit in - a fiver

take out - 3.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

google says it’s a 4 star. Probably an idea to check the price first but who would have expected to pay 15 euro for a coffee and one scone?

They probably asked for "sconze", hence the markup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. Its well worth it if you get the roide that night 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

They obviously place a premium on their surroundings, service and produce. Good luck to them.

Some customers are happy paying this premium for these perceived extras. Some customers are just happy over paying so they can reduce the chance of rubbing shoulders with the riff raff. Some customers treat these meals/snacks as an experience to be savoured and enjoyed.

I'm not like any of these people. I don't particularly enjoy eating in restaurants unless they are self service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You can stick your staycation....

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

It's a mad world out there. My favorite sandwich is €5 in my local cafe, €5.50 if you take a can of mineral with you. Went for a sit in for a treat, €9.70 for the same thing, nearly fell off my seat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why would you have a coffee and scone in a place like that? if it's just to have a look around the posh new hotel have a drink, go to the local bakery for the coffee and scone, google tells me in Clonmel that would be Hickey'ss bakery.

On a side note, Clonmel has always struck me as a very wealthy place in the Irish sense i.e based on good land and big farms.

Also, there is a really good Japanese restaurant in Clonmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why on earth wouldn't you have a coffee and a scone in a "place like that"??

If that's your bag, off you go!

If you think it's far better value to get yesterday's scones at half price in the corner shop, then do that.

And anything in between that takes your fancy.

Jaysus!

What's that got to do with the price of cabbages scones?

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

You have a point, maybe it's like going for afternoon tea in a post restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

You're not paying €15 for the scone. You are paying €2 for the scone and €13 to eat in a place where people who can't afford to pay €15 for a scone won't eat.

Coolmore spend a lot of money on the local community but at the end of the day they built the Cashel Palace as a place where their rich Arab and Oligarch customers can stay while visiting. They don't want the €2 scone brigade hanging around the lobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

There's obviously a market for the 15 euro scone and coffee so if people are willing to pay that let them be. Its no skin of anyone elses back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I paid almost €9 in KC Peaches recently but it was for coffee and a pistachio raspberry tartlet, their scones are €3, I shudder to think what that hotel would charge for a tartlet like that if they're charging €10 for a scone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i wonder if the scones wer warm.. and if not, imagine what they wudda been charged if they had asked them to be heated.. 😣

its ridiculous - i'd pay that mayb if the hotel was an ancient heritage site and 2000 mts above sea level or something where everything had to be flown in and out, or somewhere really inaccessible.. ie: somewhere wer there are loads of overheads... but Cashel? no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you go to a fancy cafe you are paying for the location of course you could get a coffee in spar for 2 euro and buy a packet of scones you are paying to sit at a fancy table with proper chairs some spars have a few chairs to sit down but there's no room for a large table i think it's expensive but there's plenty of cheap coffee shops you can go to or go to subway if you want to save money

so it's the free market I presume cafes at museums would be much more expensive than Starbucks or Mcdonalds so I think it's wrong to complain its like if I go to an apple store I presume the laptops will be twice the price of a hp laptop from power city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why have a coffee in Clonmel when you’re visiting Cashel 30 k away?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

This, exactly.

I'd say the owners will be delighted with the publicity. Makes it less likely that they will be inundated with local peasants, bringing down the tone of the place for their resident customers.

I'm a fan of the reasonably priced Bailey myself, Chez Hans for special occasions obvs

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Delighted with the publicity? Then why were they going on a spree of deleting/hiding comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Are you sure that wasn't the Hang over withdrawal causing the cold sweat 😁

Chips in my local €3

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

5 euros is too much if you get bad service, it tastes terrible and the surroundings are not nice.

i do not think 15 euro is too much if there is a nice setting, if service is really nice, if both the coffee and the scone taste nice and if it feels like a treat. Top quality coffee and tasty scones with nice homemade jams, good butter, and clotted cream.

charging 15 euro and not delivering is the real issue. You charge that much and they better deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

100% agree and that's a brilliant description.

Aside from eating on the go .

One thing I never understand about Irish people is the sheer joy many get from eating cheap (but sh1t) food. If I'm treating myself to food , it's gonna be nice. Good food doesn't have to be expensive but somethings it is and is often worth it.

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

They are really nice scones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

At least they serve scones. Increasingly I find places don't do scones and only offer muffns, croissants and the like. Possibly this is because people who like scones, myself included, want to have them heated, with jam & butter, etc and the cafe owners find it easier just not to stock them.

The muffin, cup cakes and other abominations are further examples of the Americanisation of Irish culture so I say fair play to the Cashel Palace Hotel and other fine establishments who continue to serve scones at whatever price point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement