Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You are giving both Will Smith and Chris Rock far too much credit when it comes to acting. Especially the part after the slap where Smith is visibly pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought Chastain's acceptance speech started off well, but then she went on to soapbox. It's was totally cringe watching her struggle to remember her prepared social justice warrior speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just watched it, the "joke" was a low blow, hard to feel sorry for Rock for getting a smack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Will Smith has been a bellend for a long time. I'm surprised people are surprised by this. The man told Eminem he cursed too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This is the third or forth time Rock has taken aim at Smith and his wife in public. Between this and the constant trashing of their relationship and the jokes made about his wife( including on this thread) I'd say Smith had just about had enough.

Should Smith have slapped Rock? No

Did Rock deserve a slap? Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

They should send a questionnaire out to attendees of the Oscars.

"Can you laugh at yourself?" yes/no

"Can you take a joke" yes/no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What was the point of the hosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Harvey Weinsteins Oscars were not taken back so is the Oscars attempted to take back the Oscar they would be a national outrage never mind I think it be idiotic to do anyway so lets put that idea to bed

What do you mean, what hosts?

The Oscars did away with having a host at all a few years ago

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences elected to continue without a host in 2020 and will do so again this year. It’s unclear if that will change in the future, but this is not a new thing. There was no host for the 1939 show, three straight years from 1969 to 1971, and once more in 1989.

Personally I think the Oscars is worse off without a host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Usual tradition is that the winners of Best actor, best actress, best supporting actor and best supporting actress are photographed together. All in one photo

Seems like a erasure happening quickly.

Will was omitted from the photo, not asked to be in it at all

There have been incidents where people have had their nominations rescinded, for minor offences, in comparison to Smith. Calling up academy members or campaigning for votes, were two examples from 2014 and 2017. One person campaigned for best song, and then had his nomination rescinded.

With Casey Affleck winning, he'd settled a case out of court, over allegations of being a perv. Something he's acknowledged. This happened years before during that Joaquin Phoenix "Mockumentary".

He also won before the new Academy rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Such a big hullabaloo but it happened at the Oscars so the media will live of this for a long time. I've watched the clip and aftermath from many angles, my take is Rocks joke was in poor taste but not warranting Smiths reactions.

Smith laughs at first but gets the crooked eye from Jada and over-reacts. I beleive he felt pressure to react somehow and his private life and wife's infidelities have been in the press lately so he's probably being feeling emasculated for a while and totally over-reacts. It was a hard slap and not faked but the second after Smiths slaps him and turns to walk back he is smiling then begins to swear at Rock from his seat.

I don't think Smith knew what he was doing on the walk up but just that he had to react somehow. He makes the wrong decision and in his seat immediately regrets it but has to commit so he doubles down and gives the verbals. Even though he didn't apologize directly to Rock in his acceptance speech I do think he is very embarrassed and regrets what he has done. He references playing the abusive father and hoping the academy will have him back. He is clearly embarrassed.

I understand the lack of sympathy for millionaire celebs but they are human at the end of the day. Smith was or at least felt publicly humiliated at an event with his peers and all the medias cameras on him, its not a natural environment and would be stressful for anyone.

I doubt Jada wanted her husband to react like that either. Its embarrassing for all parties but not worthy of a witch hunt. What Smith done was unacceptable given the occasion but not unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sounds like he was close to getting pulled before the announcement of the award too. Hard to see them not taking it off him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its literally a freak show now.

Due to criticism in the past they are ovecompensating in alot of categories. Nobody knows if people are getting the award on merit or because of quotas and identity politics.

Best Director - Female

Before last year there was one female best Director, now we have had 2 in a row, one a person of color.

Best Picture - Coda - Directed by a Female

The film is a remake for crying out loud and before last year only one Best Picture was directed by a female. Now we have had 2 in a row, again one a person of color.

Best Adapted Screenplay - Female, first female winner since 2005

Best Actor - Black

Best Supporting Actor - Deaf

Best Supporting Actress - Black and lesbian.

The show had 4 presenters, 3 female, two of whom were Black, Amy Schumer and Chris Rock .

No white male.

Most of the female presenters jokes were about men and white people, completely tone deaf.

Actors and Actresses full of their own self importance, virtue signalling, utter cringe.

Nobody wants to hear these rich pampered people lecture the public.

Nobody would have paid any notice to the ceremony but for Will Smiths antics.

One could have guessed the winners correctly without ever having seen the movies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Why only one slap? That is very odd.

I don't rate Will Smith as an actor or Chris Rock as a comedian btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my opinion.... but because will Smith is a pu**y. He walked up to Chris Rock with a slight head down... totally non threatening then pow. Basically gave him a sucker punch, but with a slap. Smith immediately backs away.... then gets hard shouting when 20 feet away.

The actions of a man who wants to come off as hard. But nothing behind him. That's why only one slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Chris Rock just a presenter not host this year, I know he did host in the past

I miss Billy Crystal as host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What a ridiculous thing to say about one of the greatest rappers of all time - he deserves far more respect than that regardless of what he said to Eminem

I miss Billy Crystal as host

The good ole days.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the White Men Can't Jump reunion, love Woody

Delighted for Troy and Coda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The speech Will made, made up for the slap. He doesn't need to be told he did wrong, he knows it. He did have good reasons though, and in that moment he was a man, not a role model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Smith has issued a more in depth apology:

I’m curious what the Academy does more than anything. I don’t think this is going to be career-ending (rightly or wrongly), but it is an unprecedented thing so interested to see how it plays out.

Well he didn't apologize to Chris Rock in his acceptance speech, only to the academy. Think he's been given some 'advice' to come out with this the day after.

Don't think he'll be cancelled because he's not a white supremacist.

Anyway, that apology is big load of sentimental garbage.

Peace and Love to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yeah he didn't apologize to Rock in his speech but his mind was surely racing, the surprise of winning your first Oscar and the stress of having to give a speech with everyone who saw you embarrass yourself sitting right in front of you. Can't of been easy, his mind and heart rate surely racing, his actions were totally wrong and he knows it.

This should be the end of it, Smith embarrassed himself and forever tainted his win and will have to live with that. He's said sorry so lets move on. This doesn't deserve so much ink when people are having bombs dropped on them.

Will shouting keep my wife's f#cking name out of your mouth twice or thrice to Chris was worse than the hit imho, no mention of her condition

He was favourite to win so not too surprising

Is it the red round table Jada presents, she may invite both Will and Chris on together

Will didn't want to be seen spitting but laying a "smackdown" and cursing wasn't bad 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Damage limitation from Smith but probably too little too late.

I doubt he expected to be coming off worse than Rock from this incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

This fellow is very foolish and simple, the joke was not a big deal, little Willy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ironic how annoyed Smith got about a man having his wife's name in his mouth but could care less about his wife having so many men in hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Do posters still think this was scripted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Of course. Because "Well I don't think Chris Rock would have reacted like that" somehow trumps Will Smith crying after it, no comedic payoff, no benefit to it for anyone involved, Chris Rock being condemned by some due to his joke, Will Smith apologising to the Academy during his speech, Will Smith now apologising directly to Chris Rock, the LAPD saying they're willing to investigate if Chris Rock wants to press charges, the Academy saying they condemn what happened, the Academy saying they're going to investigate what happened, nobody involved coming forward to say "Hold on, don't worry, this was just a planned bit, didn't come off as we expected, sorry", and Will Smith possibly having tanked his career on what should have been the biggest night of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My understanding of the way that the Oscars work is that nothing is randomly picked, everything is submitted for consideration by the producers (for a fee, natch). The nominees are then shortlisted from those that have been submitted.

In Encanto's case, We Don't Talk About Bruno was a bit of a surprise hit, it wasn't supposed to be the big song, and afaik Disney submitted a different song but didn't get the nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I do not think the Smith/Rock slap was scripted. Will has for the past few years developed a reputation for having an ego that can be seriously over the top. That was evident on the night. Smith might find his place in Hollywood fast expiring as others found out, it's an unforgiving place.

Dan.

Watching one of the US talk show channels last night on my tricky box, commentators saying that presenters do have to run their jokes past the organisers beforehand, so they knew the gag about Bordem/Smith was coming. Another reason why there is no expected fallout for Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Bill Crystal is potentially a controversial choice, he may insist on doing black face again.

• Advertisement

Third question;

“Will you be ok with a guy who has targeted your wife before, making fun of her disease”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and it is interesting that anyone that raises questions is labelled a 'conspiracy theorist' by the mainstream sheeple quickly ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

the snowflakes will make sure Ricky Gervais never hosts anything ever again........

There will be controlled scripts now, with nice soothing , lemon fragranced , calming context in all links, as you cannot offend the continually offended anymore...

poor little snowflakes...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

they should take the Oscar off him, bar him and the wife from Hollywood for life and give the Oscar to the deaf actor from CODA. Some sort of justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

when I first saw it ye because it’s Hollywood . Not now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What's the difference between another man's d*ck and another mans joke??

G.I. Jada can take one, but not the other.

• Advertisement

Satisfaction, I presume. Maybe you enjoy both though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No he didn't, he laughed at the joke. If your going to be offended fair enough, but Will knows he's wife has alopecia and Chris allegedly doesn't.

It's a double whammy for Will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You might want to check Markus' posting history first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement