Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,955 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Could I care less? I was asked a question, I answered it honestly, take it or leave it.

Some posters refuse to recognise exclusionary politics when they are blatantly practiced. The C&S government was an attempt to exclude any chance they would lose control of the power swap and this coalition is the last desperate attempt to hold on and they are making a bags of it.

I could see their support fall by 5-10 points if they say they will go into coalition in the same way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

It's just one stock deflection taken from the 10p Lucky Bag of diversion.

I do hope FG continue to believe it's opposition and the electorate that are wrong and not them. It will ensure their quickened departure.

The Health Service is heading back to business as usual, sadly. Still no Slaintecare. No Moriarty action etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Some interesting reading on the breakdown of the latest Red C Poll especially on the first preference vote intention graph. SF leading the way is all age categories except the 55+, I don't know whether that is good or bad considering that the younger population tends not to come out and vote, FG leading the way in the over 55's which is the age category that do come out and vote. Then again there is just a 3% difference in that age group between FG and SF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

While our opinions change somewhat as we age, if you grew up with the same issues you see the next generation facing, it might seem time for a change. We've a lot of parents and Grandparents looking at their kids struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Even worse from SF's POV, forming a government without FF or FG would have required the support of several of the 'nonideological' independents like Lowry and McGrath, to cite just one constituency. You could just feel FF and FG willing SF to make themselves look ridiculous by trying to 'woo' those guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The opposition did run a mile and everyone knows it, only opposition supporters point fingers at everyone else

“New politics” or “change” it’s all just spin. So far all parties in the Dail and independents have proved they are just as corrupt as each other

At least FF and FG and Greens have some idea on policies, not a list of unrealistic rubbish that conflicts with each other

'Proved that they are just as corrupt'? How do you make that out?

Show us your proof.

'Everyone knows' there is only one party with a leader who is the subject of a major ongoing criminal inquiry. Two major parties are complicit (through inaction) in fraud and corruption in local government. We have had many tribunals/inquiries looking into fraud and shennanigans by the two power swap parties too.

Just as corrupt? Sorry the evidence is that the power swap is more corrupt than any others.

Sorry you are right, they are more corrupt. If you want to discuss bring it up on the relevant threads.

This is the relevant thread. We are discussing the government parties.

• Advertisement

Do you actually have opinions or are you just here to try and deflect discussion? You made a comment and when challenged, ran away. Not for the first time. This isn't a soapbox for brokenangel.

😂

I have opinions, just no interest in discussing with someone who response to everything is calling strangers on a forum liar's.

You did lie.

I never said that 'fecking eejit' was said as banter...I said it 'MAY have been banter and we needed to know the context' I even backed it up by showing greeting cards and situations where the phrase is used without issue.

Have you withdrawn the claim I said it was banter? Nope, you haven't, the lie remains out there.

In other words you are too afraid to put your opinions out there to be discussed like most of us on here so you just resort to deflection and running down others. At least they put their opinions out there and discuss them.

Nobody in government prepared to back Coveney's pet project after his scandals? Not looking good to be next leader of FG.

It' a pity the hatred flowing around Ireland blinds people to the best option for country. I seen the idiot squad on twitter jumped on this because Coveney was backing it, yet it was a lot more people involved and it's a huge loss to Cork. Im sure if another party proposed it then it would be the best thing in the World....it's a pity for Cork because the event would have been a huge plus for the area

The President of the Cork Chamber of Commerce Paula Cogan said the event was “ours to lose”, describing it as a “once in a lifetime opportunity for Cork, for Ireland, to host such a huge global sporting event.”

A spokesman for Cork publicans said it would be a “travesty” if the event did not come to Cork.

They had it won, the 'pity' is the government hadn't the balls to back Coveney's project. There was nobody standing in it's way if they really wanted it to happen, THEY are the government after all.

Fear, brokenangel, of more chaos and ministerial incompetence was the issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,957 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, I never said reform isn't needed.

You haven't educated me on anything. You have regurgitated publicly available information, passing it off as your own, without adding anything to the debate.

I don't blindly accept such stuff.

The numbers were there and are there for Sinn Fein. If they could put themselves together with the Greens, Labour, SDs and PBP, then they would have persuaded enough independents. However, even those smaller parties couldn't stand the stench and negotiate with them (apart from PBP who called SF out for lack of seriousness in their approach). So, in my opinion, nothing to do with FG/FF but the stench that comes from SF is what prevented them forming a government.

Mid-term stagnation and boredom is what is driving the polls. Not any indication of what will happen in 2024.

• Advertisement

I am struggling here. Are you saying the Government is correct not to host the America's Cup? Or are you saying they are wrong?

It seems like you are just looking for any old excuse to criticise.

I'm saying the government weren't brave enough to go through with it because Coveney has no political capital left due to his scandals.

I was confused as well. One post happy it was cancelled, the next post complaining the government didn't hold the event.

I seen some people refer to it as a "little boat race". Astounding that people in this day & age, with all the media sources had no idea what it was or how great it would have been to Ireland to host

Should the government hold the Americas Cup or not?

It is a simple question that you are avoiding. To me, it looks like the Government correctly explored the possibility of hosting the Americas Cup as it was a potential winner for Ireland, and then, having assessed the options, decided, it seems correctly, that the Americas Cup wasn't worth hosting. Now I haven't looked at all the details, but it seems that simple.

So are you saying that the government should have had prescient powers and predicted in advance of examining the issue that it wasn't worth examining? Or are you saying that the government having spent some money examining the issue should have spent an awful lot more money for no return just because they examined it in the first place? Or are you just makey-up complaining for the sake of complaining? So tell us, should the government hold the Americas Cup or not?

Are you living in the real world or is that just your hatred for anything to do with SF talking? They numbers were not there for SF it is a simple as that. You keep going on about a hodge podge of parties making up the government that wouldn't have lasted a week. Also do you really need to use words like 'stench', if that was said about the stench of corruption and cronyism coming FF and FG you would be losing you mind on here. Have a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I think it's more to do with the government being linked to an "elite" sports event rather than Coveneys profile.

A missed opportunity in my opinion. A major global sporting event in a world renowned location for sailing.

For a country surrounded by the sea this should really be a no brainer. We should really be looking to bring more major events be they sporting or other events and be using those to promote the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Absolutely...

I wonder will there be similar objections if we try to get the Ocean race here again..

Rubbish, SF had the option to create a government. They met with Greens etc before any of the other parties. FG said they would go into opposition. Then SF seen what was happening with covid and gone. Easier to sit in opposition telling everyone to "open the pubs" then a "close the pubs"

I think you will find a lot of people called the current government a "hodge podge of parties" yet they have successful run the country since they formed together. Yes mistake but still in a decent place.

Even today, if we have an election tomorrow the government will have to be a coalition. yet we have people spending all day and all night saying every slur word under the sun against FF/FG/Greens. Then election happens and suddenly they are going to be a great party because they have joined up with SF? cop on to yourself. It's embarrassing the whole carry on for the entire nation.

• Advertisement

Yes, the use of stench in the context I used it was appropriate in my opinion.

Advertisement