Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I'd say he'd tell that eejit anything to get away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Like he had a facebook page to "make Cavan great again" or something when we were a Div 1/2 team and now we are in Div 4 and there is no online campaign to oust the manager. That was a vendetta against Terry Hyland back then. A goon like Tynan should get nothing but contempt from Cavan supporters in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Re Kiernan, is that not the injury that happened Niall Murray? The update doesn't really make sense because if that severe an injury had happened Oisin Kiernan there'd be no ''probably won't be ready'' about it. He's gone for the year like you said.

I thought Pierson was a shoulder injury and the delay was because he was having surgery on it.

Would be good to see a nice crowd at Croker on Saturday. I know its Division 4 but its a National league title at the end of the day and about time we won a game at headquarters - I know we beat London in 2013 but that was more like a novelty game than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

He was even too much for Hoganstand and his hounding of Hyland on that forum was personal and pretty disgusting.

Pierson was carrying a shoulder injury all through the club championship and then suffered that awful hamstring injury in the replay (when he was really motoring in fairness).

Oisin Kiernan was with the subs on Saturday night and he wasn't looking like a man that had or needed surgery (as suggested in the above post). I have no idea how serious the injury is suggested by Thunderbirds a while back.

Any word on McLoughlin? He definitely took a knock on Saturday night and didn't look great coming off. Hopefully it was just a precaution. He's playing really well since he came back against Sligo.

100% agree. I'm fairly certain he had a few log ins on HS at one stage, but granted, it seems to be full of basket cases bemoaning the fact that we aren't winning the All Ireland every second year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I listed to one of the JMac podcasts with him and it wasn't fair the stuff he was spouting about Dermot McCabe and others who weren't there to defend themselves - saying for example that McCabe was encouraging Gowna players to jump on the back of Ramor players in the county final.

In fairness to the JMac podcast, I've gone back over some of his previous interviews - Ronan Flanagan, Mickey Hannon, McKeever & Pierson together, Finbarr O'Reilly and Enda Fla/Ronan/Sean Brady together - and there's some fairly interesting stuff in them.

They are definitely worth a listen to people like myself who would have a good memory of games particularly from the noughties.

• Advertisement

I find the group ones tough going because you feel awkward for lads having to sit there - rather than skip around the two or three guests, he focuses on one for long periods at a time and the other two are left sitting there. In the Cavan Gaels one with Chesty, Masrtin Dunne and Enda King, Chesty started making a cup of team quite nosily while he was asking one of the others some questions - ya can't blame him, he was bored off his trolly I'd say!

Listening to Finbarr & Mickey Hannon, a big ''What if'' for Cavan football was the passing of Eamonn Coleman. It really sounds like the players believed he was building something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

John Maughan has come out and said Offaly will be taking the Tailteann Cup seriously. I hope to god Cavan don't treat it like we did the Tommy Murphy Cup and throw our arses at it. That said, I still think the chance is there to make an Ulster Final with our route being Antrim and then Donegal/Armagh. Armagh and Donegal may be picking up a few suspensions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

You would have to wonder given the attitude of the management towards the leagues in recent years how that will go. A lot will depend on the players as well, no doubt some are getting offers to go to America for the summer.

Given the age profile of some of our players, how many would have the summer "off" to do a trip to America?

We've won two Ulsters in 50 years and no All Irelands now in 70. I would think whatever silverware is on offer, we should be attempting to win it. This group should not see any competition as being below them. After all, games are games and we need to learn to beat inferior teams. It's getting tiring that the most consistent thing about this group is their inconsistency.

Longford probably would be a decent bet. They've been a very solid division three team for a long time, a couple of decent results here and there but not likely to make any waves at championship for obvious reasons. Similarly the likes of Antrim or Fermanagh.

Thinking back to our approach in qualifiers, has it been that bad? Okay we threw the towel in against Tyrone in 2019. There were self-implosions against Derry and Tipp, but barring a surrender against the Rossies in Breffni (possibly the worst inter county game i was at, i think it was 2 points to one at half time and it was absolutely bucketing down) I don't remember us going out with depleted teams or bowing out due to lack of effort. The Derry and Tipp games hurt fans and players as we should have won those and possibly had a decent run in the qualifiers (which was a lot of fun in 2013).

Actually, Down in Brewster in 2018. I actually thought we were actively not interested in winning that and Down imploded and we fell across the line rather than winning it.

I know the results have been dreadful, I've been to almost all of them. It was more that it wasn't like we didn't treat the qualifiers seriously (ala some league performances) but more that we underperformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Cavan_King i think if you want your point raised on the podcast, get yourself on Instagram. I think when it comes to talking points the format is Paul Flitz reads any old guff from their Instagram page regardless of content. There are shows when the "talking points" are "Cavan are cat", followed by "Cavan are the worst ever" and so forth. I suspect if you sent your weekly shopping list to the lads via Instagram it would get read out verbatim on the podcast. ("Interesting talking point here Damien: one sliced pan, milk, eggs, rashers, porridge oats..."). 😀

I know a few people who have sent stuff via email that never gets included so i suspect its more about the medium than the message as the lads have bemoaned the lack of decent talking points in the past. So get yourself on Instagram and hold forth lad! (I'm too old and am barely holding my own on boards.ie)

Speaking of the podcast the frequency of games we have played in Croke park over the last ten years or so versus our success was nicely highlighted this week. Some damning statistic- only one win (versus London in 2013). You would hope Saturday would be a time to start to correct that.

If you head to Croker Park for Sunday, you'll be a day late. I hope you haven't made your plans for then. We're Saturday at 2.30. I spoke to a Tipp man who told me they couldn't believe they got a result in Breffni. They felt that their chance was gone after their poor start where they had dropped 3 points. He did say that he listened to it on Tipp Radio and their keeper got man of the match on it!

• Advertisement

2014 for me was a key one. We lack the killer instinct that day and I really felt it had an impact on our championship and the following year. We were in the ascendency, missed a penalty and started to look like we didn't believe we could win it.

u21s in 2011 I thought tactically we got it wrong for a fair while. We were getting cleaned out of it in the middle and kept true to our kick out strategy that meant Galway kicked about 4/5 scores on the trot and put the game to bed. I thought we were well in that game up until that point.

Fair points about the other games, especially the minor team that lost to Clifford in 2017.

Instagram is not a medium I use but I have been told those points are also picked through and that some are left out. A few comments on the podcast about the poor attendance at the Waterford game but, to be fair, the game happened on a hectic day for most people. There were confirmations around the county plus a fairly full schedule of league games that day. Most kids also have juvenile training on a Saturday morning so parents were looking at juvenile training or a game, then a club game and possibly the Cavan game that evening - not easy if you're dragging tired kids around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

I don’t live in the county so was making a choice between this game and Croke Park - cost of 2 games a factor too

Going by early results in the League I'm not too sure most clubs are taking it seriously yet. The bigger squads with larger panels will as they have the ability to but its clear to see some of the smaller panels are not. Mullahoran, for example, took a six point beating off Belturbet and Laragh were absolutely annihilated by Ramor. That said, Laragh will be hit hard by having the two lads in on the county panel, something that hadn't affected them in recent years. Ballinagh also lost to Killinkere which was a surprising result.

You'd have to hope the troops will rally. I've spoken to a good few people who are going but the 2.30 start on a Saturday isn't great alright. Other years it was later. I distinctly remember the 2007 and 2014 League games in Croker being later Saturday evening games at about 5 or 6. The 2016 Tyrone game was at the centenary celebrations on a Sunday and the 2018 Roscommon game was also early on a Sunday. That said, the 2013 London game was early on a Saturday and got a good crowd but then that was our first Championship game at Croke Park in nearly 20 years.

There's a sizable contingent of Cavan diaspora living in the Dublin and Meath border areas, particularly around Blanchardstown, Clonee and Dunboyne, so hopefully we will see some of those make the short trip in also.

It's Cavan - nobody knows what to expect! Honestly I'm going up here expecting to win but then anything can happen. I can't see how anyone would have confidence in this current Cavan group to deliver a result in any match. That's not a slight on them, it's just that they are frustratingly inconsistent. Do I believe we are a better team than Tipp? Yes. Do I think that means we will definitely beat Tipp? Unfortunately no.

I like Cormac O'Reilly and the effort he brings but he just isn't making enough of a dent on the scoreboard for me. Has Conor Madden started any game in this league campaign? I think your team is there or thereabouts but I would like to see Caoimhin start over Conor Madden.

Speaking of Conroy and Madden, the county board have lost Chris Conroy, who was highly valued as a coach, to Conor Madden's sports clothing company Cico. Let another one of a long line of exits.

Let's not sugar coat it, Saturday night's attendance, when you factor in a number of things (last home league match, promotion at stake, glorious weather) was very poor. You can make the excuse that a fair few people may have been out of pocket from being in London the weekend before but not only was it a smaller than expected crowd, it was like a wake for the first 10 minutes. You can put that down to the previous week's performance or whatever but we have a fair few fair weather fans and that is for certain.

I don't get the antipathy to a trip to Croker for a league final. The absolute blather you get from some fans about this being "beneath us" is hilariously detached from reality. The vast majority of our fans have grown up with Cavan being a dominant force in Ulster football being a distant memory. We've 2 Ulster titles in 50 years. Also, whilst we have had a fair few trips to HQ in the last 10 years, we also had a very barren run so I take nothing for granted. A trip to Croker to see Cavan play isn't something I will turn my nose up at.

Also, this is as close as I'm getting to a home match so yis can all quit your whinging about the Saturday afternoon throw in being a pain in the hole 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

By all accounts I think we will have a poor enough crowd there Saturday. Haven't heard of many going or too many buses etc. There is a full round of club games Sunday also, would prevent many attending.In saying that I'd expect virtually nobody from Tipperary or Limerick and only a few from Louth.

I think it says a lot about Division 3/4 is promoted by the GAA and media coverage. It's hard to blame people when the GAA or media don't give a stuff either.

Also if anyone checked Hotels or BnBs for the Saturday there is barely any available since last weekend and all top €200 for the night. I'd expect that's going to become a bigger issue for GAA going forward, as travel and accommodation to Dublin is unaffordable for many now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It may not be a pain in the hole for you but it is for others me included I won't get to it.

• Advertisement

Somebody had asked here about Oisin Brady. In his interview with We Are Cavan after the Waterford game, that was on the League Final preview, Mickey mentions players returning and mentions Holla, Martin Reilly, Conor Brady and then says ''Oisin'', I think, before saying they will all be returning to training over the coming week. It therefore appears Oisin Brady was injured.

Are there any new members of the panel didn't get a run in the League? Mickey used 31/32 players I believe. The only ones I can think of are Liam Brady and the two Laragh lads. In relation to the Laragh lads, Jack McKenna has an injury and from what I'm told Paul Smith is really enjoying the challenge of the county training but has realised he needs to bulk up from it.

It would be great to see Martin Reilly get onto the pitch even for a couple of minutes at Croke Park tomorrow.

Mention on the podcast of issues in the full back line. I still think Killian Clarke should be placed back there to help shore it up. I know he offers alot out the pitch but I always have reservations about the level Gunner can play at and Padraig Faulkner is still off form at times.

Chris Conroy may have fallen down the pecking order behind Benjamin Kelly also. Kelly got the nod against Waterford and, whilst I wasn't in London, someone who was did mention to me that Conroy was brought on for the last few minutes to shore up the back line and unfortunately we ended up conceding score after score and the penalty.

Advertisement