Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You seem to forget they brought in the initial restrictions in 2020 almost overnight

Thursday means very little unless some govt TDs go against the whip

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You are being hysterical.

The article itself is misleading. Read Donnellys actual quotes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

A short while. Yeah like the two weeks to flatten the curve that lasted almost two years. Yeah right, a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

700k cases per week? How is that even measurable!?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I saw this buffoon interviewed conveniently outside a primary health care centre, Conveniently located in Carrick on Shannon, Conveniently a stones throw from his gaff. You also know when this chap is away from his post (Dublin) when he's interviewed either in RTE's athlone studio or outside what must be the most visited primary health care centre by any Serving HSE CEO.

Always reassuring to hear more of the Obvious from Reid 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Have to say and even though we know there's serious under reporting, I think Stephen Donnelly pulled that figure out of his rear end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And yet still tiny numbers in ICU. We need to stop obsessing over case numbers and especially encouraging otherwise healthy people to report a case of the sniffles.

As I've said throughout - case numbers mean NOTHING. It's the OUTCOME of cases that matters and those remain overwhelmingly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Perhaps it’s time to lose this section of the site? Mods

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Donnelly isn't wavering.

He said that IF restrictions were to be introduced, in order to control this rise in numbers and this particular variant,they would have to be extremely restrictive.And Holohan is saying no, not recommended. Donnelly was not saying that measures were being considered, he was saying to those calling for measures, that they only way they would work was to be very restrictive.

I basically took him to mean that anything else is pointless, it is pretty much all or...."nothing" (or whatever you want to call the situation we have at the moment).And nobody wants the "all" to return.

I don't disagree but I'm questioning were is Donnelly getting 700k cases from , by any measure that's an extraordinary number/Statement

• Advertisement

Shane on NT complaining about people not wearing masks on buses and him being the only one.

Again using the courtesy angle to justify it.

Why don't people like this realise that no one else cares if they wear a mask or not. If they want wear a mask work away, but this obsession with what someone else does is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People are actually misreading what he said he said the new variantis very contagious and very serious measures WOULD be not will be needed to stop its spread, Basically saying we can not and won't stop it, He never said we would introduced new measures hes basically saying we won't

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Exactly what he was saying, the headline is printed to be misleading

"WOULD be not will be needed to stop its spread" 😁

It's no wonder both he and the rest of us confused with such a statement 😁

I find this funny that apparently no one is wearing them any more yet panel and radio shows will tell us 65% of people want them mandatory..

So there’s people out there who don’t wear them but want to be told they legally have to? Or current affairs shows don’t represent reality..

You're right though. A lot of people NEED to be told what to do as we've seen over the last 2 years in particular - especially if it's a way of showing they're doing "the right thing". They also don't like feeling like the odd ones out, hence this drive to make everyone else mask up as well.

Covid restrictions are not a solution for personal insecurities and anxieties though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I did say “if” 😆. According to RTE it’s “ hundreds of thousands” this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What is it that’s happening on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

The opposite is also true, as soon as MM stood on those steps many people believed that covid was gone. Throwing their masks in the bin and standing on top of people in queues. No there is the same amount of covid as yesterday when they were dictating to me to wear my mask and telling me not to go to crowded pubs.

People put too much faith in what the man on the telly says and want to follow the crowd rather than qeustion what they are being told and do things for themselves.

On another note, the media have been a disgrace this last week (and also throughout the pandemic), lettting on that the majority want restrictions brought back in. As another poster said, the irony of RTE giving out about Russian media propaganda.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, when people were told masks were no longer necessary they stopped wearing masks, and when people were told social distancing is no longer necessary they stopped social distancing. This can hardly be a surprise to anyone. I fail to see any issue with this.

Cases were always going to go up when the measures were taken away. This was all part of the plan, and this is the thing that the hysterical people cannot get their head around.

Post edited by awec on

• Advertisement

The emergency legislation that enabled Covid restrictions is set to lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just an extension of the virtue signalling which has become rampant in Ireland over the last few years, largely borne out of a need to feel included in the social media circle jerk. All for the "feels", and "consideration of others". What a load of patronising bullshit.

in theory then it doesn’t really mean much does it? They can just re do it on the Friday?

Donnelly on the radio now saying no restrictions needed. C’mon ta ****!

I see there back to the "Un vaccinated " cohort , mother of God if people aren't vaccinated at this stage (and its their right", there's not a chance they'll change their minds now.

Also whatever happened to the "Herd Immunity " narrative 🤔

Hear we go, Scare Byrne on the case , Sam Mc Conky up first

Restrictions at this point would be useless , it's rampant but what's the answer 🤔 I once thought if you got it , that's it and hopefully not too severe , I'm talking to people who've caught it more than once 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

What would you like him to have said?

I'd swear people on here are desperate for restrictions to come back in, just so they can whinge and moan about them. They're scouring the internet to find any hint of re-introduction of restrictions, so they can give out.

What happened to getting on with our lives and living with Covid? Not seeing much sign of it here.

TONY'S left the building ( Actuallythat happened late December), Government seem all over the place , Stephen Donnelly pop's up this week, weres he been , Paul Reid, same old same old and I saw first hand last Tuesday what's going on in public Hospitals.

Those who'll really suffer are those waiting on urgent care.

I'm not for a second saying restrictions but mother of God there's absolutely no leadership, Government more concerned about planning their St Patrick's Trips abroad and being popular with the EU .

And absolute Cluster**** of a situation

You don’t want restrictions but you want ‘leadership’. What actually is it that you want to happen

donnelly is clear that there’ll be no restrictions implemented, masks or otherwise. What else are you looking to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The answer is to move on with life. Like colds and 'flus, you can contract them multiple times, your body will deal with it and you move on. This is how highly infectious diseases work and have always worked through the entirety of human history.

Herd immunity/eradication is only realistically feasible when the disease is relatively low on the infectivity scale, like Polio. Look at measles. Despite insanely high vaccination rates, it still manages to survive in little pockets and explode like wildfire when it finds an unvaccinated group.

Omicron at this stage is considerably less severe than measles and far more infectious. It's here to stay. Vaccination and boosters will do a good job of keeping the vulnerable out of hospitals, but the illness is not going away. Pretty soon we'll stop testing for it at all outside of clinical environments. You'll wake up one morning feeling like crap, say, "Oh I've a bit of a 'flu" and then take it easy for a few days without wondering whether you've got H1N2 or Sars-COV-2 or rhinovirus, or whatever.

At this point, people are really only doing antigens either because they feel it's the right thing to do so they can let others know they might have been exposed, or so they can be allowed off work. Realistically there's no need to do an antigen - if you feel sick, you should be keeping yourself away from the workplace and away from others regardless of what kind of sickness you have.

Advertisement