Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club fitting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

That's great, once you get used to the new irons the lower height wont be an issue. Was there much difference in distance between new and old? i would be surprised if you are losing any distance and they will still probably stop fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

The new ones were probably going a bit further. I was carrying it about 100m with a 6i. I was hitting into a huge wind! Which was perfect, exactly what I wanted to see. The big difference between the two clubs was that mine would hang in the air and blow further off line. Whereas the new ones held that little bit better.

They're not going to bring me into single figures overnight. And the fit is a tad aspirational. If I don't finish my swing every time I won't see any benefit from them other than they look nice. But if I improve my swing, I think I'll be better with these than I would be with my current ones.

Yea you will still take time to get used to them even though you are fitted. Good Luck with them :)

Well balls anyway! I picked up the clubs yesterday and they're just things of beauty. I'm supposed to be trying them on the course right now, but a couple of hours after getting home my sister tested positive for covid on an antigen! Then my other sister the same. So I've had to cancel golf today and I assume I will for new years eve too. I can't see how I won't, I'm just hoping for a Christmas miracle I suppose. €1200 on new irons - I don't think I've ever spent that amount of money on a toy before. And I can't even play with them!

I went to Peter Doyle in tramore and the fitting is a whole other experience to the one I had in the halpenny before. I loved the fitting in the halpenny for the driver, but it was just another level in tramore. Even collecting them I was with him for an hour and a half hitting them. They're a tad aspirational, so he was just reinforcing how to get the most out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Best way to look at fitting (if its not immediately obvious why its a good thing) is a bit like getting shirts.

If you've never got a shirt before, you probably need to work out what size you are (For golf, thats your shaft type. Regular/stiff/x-stiff/senior).

That can be enough for a while, but then you realise there is different types of shirts, materials, buttons and styles. For your shafts, that's where you get into things like weight, torque etc.

Fitting back when I was a teen was a low handicapper thing. You needed a repeatable swing as it was expensive to get fitted and wasn't widely available. Nowadays you would be mad not too.Even if your swing changes or whatever, you can go back and get refit.

But I think its important to know what your general specs are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Anybody know of any good fitters fitting for the latest mizunos? Love the look of the new 223 iron. Foregolf still not accepting lefties so hoping there's someone else offering this product?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Bernard Quigley in Naas pro shop stocks the mizunos and is a great fitter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got my driver off him when he was in Tullamore, found him great at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Recently got fitted for irons, a lot of it to confirm some stuff that’s been going on with swing changes, have always preferred a certain shaft than helps me keep ball low. With sing changes have been trying a more neutral shaft in what in theory are a much less forgiving iron and hitting them a lot better. Which is weird enough. Fitting confirmed that basically with one shaft I’ve lost a sense of where the head is altogether, fats, pushes, thins, hooks, the whole shebang. Same brand, flex, weight, different profile and striping the ball, miss becomes the odd slight block or thin a groove or two low. So fitting gave me a new spec of iron but also confirmed can just play away with less forgiving irons for now until bottom out the swing changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭Sipper

Mark Heinemann, Killarney Golf & Fishing Club.

• Advertisement

I finally got to try my new clubs yesterday. And they're just beautiful. They'll definitely take some getting used to and as well as the new clubs I'm trying to change my swing too, so it's doubly difficult. I had a concern that they wouldn't be forgiving enough for me, but that was fine. The good hits were great and the less good (within reason) were still okay. I think they're less forgiving than my previous set, but that's okay.

I was wondering what way distance would go too. I'm definitely not losing a whole club or anything like that, but they might have slightly less distance. But I think I'll only know that for sure after a few months. And it's probably a good thing if it lets me play a full shot from closer in.

But the big difference was how they will fare in wind and how high they'll go. That was my motivation for changing and in this regard they simply work. They definitely fly lower and when they're not hanging in the wind like my previous ones, that's real positive change. The concern I had with this was that since I was lowering flight and taking off backspin that they'd run a mile on the greens. They were perfect in this regard. There wasn't a huge difference to my old ones. We'll see what they're like in summer, but it won't be anything ridiculous anyway.

The one area which will take much more time to get used which I didn't think about was chipping. They're completely different to chip with to my old clubs. I tend to chip with my 8 iron and I'd rate it as a strength of mine. But my old 8 iron pops off the club face, whereas this one stays lower. So where it lands is different which gives a totally different result! That's just something I'll have to get used to though.

The other problem was that I hadn't played since November. So my putting was pretty bad (4 three putts) as way my driving (hit the driver 6 times, lost 3 and hit one into trouble but found it). I won't blame the irons for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Temps have dropped alot since November so it will be hard for you to compare distances until the summer kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone that has gone to fore golf, is it a mat setup for the fitting? I'm looking at getting the full fitting in March though primarily looking for irons. I assume I can put in an order on the day for the irons and then potentially follow up with the Driver, wedges if I decide to after the fact? If its off a mat I don't think I'll bother, long way to travel for me and I can hit off grass in Mount Juliet and get fit, albeit with a smaller range of clubs or go to Carton house which is grass as well I believe.

It's off a mat. It's better than your normal range mat but definitely not grass.

Thats a shame. Any reason for that? I'd have thought that devalues the proposition completely?

Fitting in all weather, controlled environment or some such I guess.

It worked out for me and I can't say a bad thing about what I was fit to but I'd agree grass and real balls are best.

To follow up on my posts here for anyone thinking about going to Foregolf. I went last Friday for the full bag fitting session (€100 for the fitting and you pay €200 deposit against clubs, I think this only applies if you don't order anything on the day). Overall its a fantastic service, I was a bit worried about hitting off a mat but when you have the data in front of you and are speaking to Dave going through the process its not an issue. My main requirement was new irons as my current set are old and didn't fit my eye. They are game improvement TM Speed Blades in a regular shaft. I arrived way ahead of time and drove in to a parking space with my name on it which was a nice touch. Was met at the door and I asked for a few balls to go up to the driving range beside it to warm up and get loose after a long drive up. The woman advised not to hit too many as I'd be tired for the actual fitting so I just went up and hit maybe 3/4 shots with a wedge, 7iron and driver. Range is lovely there too by the way.

On to the fitting itself, I had a quick chat about what I wanted to get out of the session and said about the irons being the priority, my driver has been good so wasn't sure on changing that, same with my wedges though I wanted to look at my 50d Vokey as for full shots I struggle to get much distance with it. I hit a few shots with my 7iron and talked about my most common misses with them, straight away Dave identified the offset was too much for my swing and the shafts weren't right at all. I was getting about 156yards avg with my club. Within about 10 minutes of trying different heads we'd landed on the P790 and I was trying different shafts. I'd gained 12 yards on average in distance with the 7i and my distance control went from +/- 12.1 yards to 1.9 so I was getting much more consistency with my distance on the p790 than the current 7i as well as an extra 12 yards distance from 156 to 168. Seeing the shots out on the range combined with the data on screen is really good because it just confirms what you are seeing with your eyes with data. Much preferable IMO to hitting into a screen. I then hit my 50d wedge and we spoke about getting more out of that club, tried a GW in the p790 and decided on that to replace the vokey 50. Didn't seem any value in changing my 54 or 58 vokeys as I'm happy with them and they're only a year old. After settling on the p790 we moved on to my 3wood and the gap I have between it and 4i, I've struggled with hybrids in the past so wasn't sure about them but he put me in a Cobra Radspeed hybrid that I was striping pretty much instantly, genuinely a revelation for me and can't wait to get that in the bag as it was easily going 210+ without much effort. Last thing was the driver, I am very happy with the SIM I have so wasn't sure anything could match it. Having hit a few shots with it Dave agreed it would be hard to beat but that we could try some options just to see if there are any gains to be had. I hit the Rogue ST, Cobra LTDx and LS and the Stealth Plus. Rogue wasn't a good match at all, Stealth felt very similar to my SIM and not much gained at all there. The Cobra LTDx LS however was longer and more consistent with my mishits, gained about 6 yards distance but distance control went from +/- 12.3 on my SIM to 4.3 with the Cobra so much more consistent with my distance with it.

We then went back to hitting the p790 just to confirm the spec and all was good. I ordered the irons and hybrid after the session and can order the Cobra anytime I'd like if I want to. Overall a really good experience and not at all they pushy sales tactic thing you can come across in the shops. The fitter was very knowledgable and explained his thought process for trying different shafts and setups as well as experimenting to see if I could gain anything more than what we had already. If you are on the fence about it I can't recommend it further, really great experience. Delivery expected toward end of April which is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Unfortunately they are booked solid for the next few months so I'm on a waiting list...... At this stage I'll wait till next season before getting fitted for new irons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

I am looking at getting a few new clubs a driver and 3/5 wood. I am wondering if it is worth getting a fitting.

My HI is 21 and I have a slow swing speed. My drives would be around 160 yards a bit longer with a run in summer.

The pro in my club gave me a set of Taylormade Sim 2 Ladies Driver 5 wood and a 3 wood that he said was really like a 4wood. I liked the feel of them and I hit them well. I am considering buying them but would I get better choices if I did a fitting.

I enjoy playing at least twice a week so I would like to get the best out of my game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Go for the fitting, it's an information gathering exercise and you can see the difference in the recommended clubs and your own.

There is no requirement to buy after a fitting, going for a fitting is a no-lose exercise. There is no downside to going for one.

• Advertisement

I really don't like the way ForeGolf have started making a deposit mandatory. I'm paying for the fitting I should be just getting the fitting with no obligation to buy. Its a shame because i have been fitted by them before and had a really great experience, and I'm still using the irons that i was fitted for. It was €100 full bag with no obligation to buy, now its €300 which includes €200 deposit on clubs. Seems to be working for them though so fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh that's disappointing to hear they're doing that. I need to get irons this year and was going to go to them for a fit, but no way I'll do it if there's an effective commitment to buy.

As an aside, anyone know of a fitter near-ish to Dublin with a decent selection of lefty fitting heads ?

Yea the same as that, i was going to go do the fitting there and somewhere else as an experiment to see would i get fit differently but i will probably just go local now. To be fair Golfstyle is local which is another great place to get clubs. And if they dont work out he is very good at giving good trade in values on new enough clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is the deposit mandatory, or is that not something package deal they offer as a gift?

Carton academy also do fittings and should have a decent selection in there I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭thehairygrape

Thanks for starting this thread. Learnt a lot. You’re going to cost me a fortune but I forgive you.

Yes i believe so, i messaged them on it in December and asked. They said there was lots ordering clubs but then not paying so they introduced this to deter that but its a bit unfair. Maybe if it was put to them that i have no interest in buying that its just the fitting they would drop it. But then they might not hand over the specs. Its a shame because they are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Slight tangent, but many got lessons off the guys in Carton. Notice all their diaries are empty which i found curious

Have a fitting booked in Foregolf later in April but considering doing a second fitting and buying from Carton and Foregolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

I found the attached interesting with regard to Club Fitting. Like all data, you can get any set of statistics to fit any story that the owner wishes to tell.

Do Foregolf get a large set of initial shots before starting to explore alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Depends on what you call large. You're doing about an hour or 90 mins with them, so it's relatively limited, depending on the scope of the fitting.

They're basically looking to build up enough shots to get a fairly normalised set of values,takingoit the big outlier shots and bad strikes.

It's by no means perfect, but is pretty comprehensive. I guess if you were only going for a driver fitting, say, then you'd be able to get a much bigger database of shots in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

Really interesting video. I had seen it pop up on my YT feed but didn't bother watching it til now. While I wouldn't dismiss custom fitting by any means, that vid certainly does throw some questions up. Kinda reinforces the view that as long as your clubs are in the right ballpark and aren't just completely wrong for you, you'll be fine. Strike is king and you can't buy a game. Food for thought.

Not to dis fitters though because I had a great experience with the TM tour truck about 6 years ago - I was convinced my TM fairway woods weren't right for me and I wanted to get a proper fitting shaft bla, bla. After hitting a bunch of shots, the fitter got some yellow electrical tape, wrapped one layer around the butt end of the grip and told me to make sure I grip below that - what a difference it made, it was night and day. Shorter shaft or just grip down was all I needed when he could have tried to sell me something exotic.

Advertisement