Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You can be sure that the joke / insult chris rock made was well known in advance by the producers of the show, nothing in these shows is off the cuff.

whats sad about that is the oscars reducing themselves to gutter like personal insults like the emmys to try and be popular, and as bad as ricky is he doesnt trade on peoples misery for laughs, Giving the oscars the comedy central roast approach is the pity and they will regret it in time.

It lacks class, and devalues the oscars itself in a big way.

Mel Gibson might disagree with you about Ricky Gervais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

People are bringing Ricky Gervais into this a lot. Can someone name or post a joke that Ricky did at the golden globes that is as bad as the Chris Rock alopecia joke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Expect an apology from Chris Rock as the next scene in this drama, possibly with the claim that he was unaware of the alopecia issue. Smiths apology is no doubt as a result of PR advice, and Rocks will be the same. If Smith was genuinely sorry he would have apologised to Rock in his speech, which was cringeworthingly (is that a word ?) awful btw.

"Gervais poked fun at Olympic decathlon champion-turned-Hollywood celebrity Caitlyn Jenner, a pioneer for transgender rights by speaking publicly about her gender change but who was also involved in a deadly car crash last year.

"What a year she's had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes.

"She didn't do a lot for women drivers, but you can't have everything, can you?" Gervais said to applause."

Someone might say making light of an incident involving the death of someone is worse than saying that Jada Smith looks a bit like GI Jane with her shaved head.

“Honestly, I like a drink as much as the next man. Unless the next man is Mel Gibson.”

“Listen, I still feel a bit bad for it,” he told the crowd. “Mel’s forgotten all about it, apparently. That’s what drinking does.”

“He has done all those films,” Gervais said, “but many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford clinic and Los Angeles County Jail.” - About Robert Downey Jr

Some would argue making fun of people because of their serious addictions is a little worse than mentioning that Jada Pinkett Smith looks a bit like GI Jane with her shaved head.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I think any man whose wife does the rounds of talk shows talking about their open marriage is always on the edge and waiting to explode. The problem in Hollywood is they share too much information. Any correct thinking man would not tolerate this open marriage bullshit it doesn't work for at least one member of the marriage. Jada hair is fine its shaved she has the bone structure to carry it off, Will is emasculated & a ticking time bomb.

Playing ther parent of Venus & Serena gave him an insight into a normal family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I was just looking up who this Chris Rock guy is. He is not even that famous. How did he get to the Oscars? I never even knew or heard about him untill yesterday. I am sure there is more here the same. I am almost more famous than him lol and I did not get invited :( not that I wanted to lol.

Here is his WIKI. He does not even have a filmography,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rock

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

On the link you provided, it linked directly to his filmography which was large enough to warrant it's own entry.

I think perhaps your lack of knowledge about an extremely famous comedian/actor says more about your knowledge than his lack of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

It's almost as though a couple can have an open marriage, but still not want people to verbally abuse their spouse. Crazy.

If I've learned anything from the last few days it's that some people have deep issues with the idea of a woman engaging in polyamory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You never heard of Chris Rock? He's been in a ton of films (not good ones, but he was in them), is one of the most famous stand-up comedians of the last 20 years, and not only that, but he's hosted the Oscars before.

• Advertisement

Has anything ever happened that you don't think is the fault of snowflakes trying to cancel hypothetical scenarios?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Between people accusing anyone who thinks this televised incident actually happened of being 'sheeple' (LOL) and 'Chris Rock isn't even famous!', this entire silly incident really has broken the internet discourse in quite fascinating ways.

It's almost as if a fame hungry couple who exploit their marital issues and medical conditions in order to cling on to fame and relevancy, should be able to handle a very tame barb directed at her appearance without resorting to violence.

People do have issues with polyamory. It is a strange concept for most. I definitely wouldn't be able to entertain the thoughts of my wife with another man. They seem to be ok with it and that's good for them. But if they are the ones speaking openly about it, then they have invited public discussion and because the majority of people wouldn't be in favour of polyamory, it will unsurprisingly be mostly negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I haven’t watched it in years but his stand up special Bring The Pain was amazing back in the day. I’d regard him as one of the best stand up comedians of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope never heard of him. Let's be honest Chris Rock hardly stands put as a name.

Also as you said a lot of not very good movies so no I have never seen or heard of them.

Ye I am sure in America as a stand up Comidian he is big but not on this side of the Atlantic he is not.

Blah the Oscars boring. I turned it off last night soon as I heard they had edited the bit between Will Smith and your man out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The quotes from Ricky are funny.

Chris’ comment wasn’t.

Will Smith found it funny initially.

But it is interesting that joking about an incident that left someone dead or insulting someone about their addiction issues gets a pass from some and joking about a woman with a shaved head resembling another woman with a shaved head is too far and somehow justifies violence.

Would people be supportive of Mel Gibson if he had punched Ricky Gervais? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He pretty much called Leo Di Caprio a paedophile.

"Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere and by the end his date was too old for him. Even Prince Andrew was like, “Come on, Leo, mate.You’re nearly 50-something.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I see the liberal papers all report this as a “slap” when it indeed was a punch. If it was not a poc doing the slap no doubt they would call it assault or punch. Because the aggressor is straight black male he is given easier ride, if he was homosexual the assault could even be celebrated

In dicaprios case it was too close to the bone as he was preyed on by Ben as a child actor

It was a slap because he struck him with an open palm (aka a slap) A slap is still assault, but is not a punch. Race or sexual orientation has nothing to do with it. Stop getting angry at hypotheticals you've made up to be angry at.

I’m not remotely angry, strange take from yourself

He opened his hand after the assault, you know very well that if William was white the papers would not report this is a slap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, definitely a slap. Chris Rock even said it, “Will Smith just slapped the sh*t out of me.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

We're in a bad, bad place if we actually suggest that what Chris Rock said was more offensive than anything Ricky Gervais said.

Jada isn't bald; she has alopecia - and a ton of people had no idea of this fact I think it's important to state - but clearly still had a stubbly head, hence Chris Rock said GI Jane, and not say, Captain Picard or some other iconic character that's actually bald.

When GI Jane released that shaved, stubbly head became quite iconic, and there was a lot of focus on how surprisingly good Demi Moore still looked despite the unconventional look.

Personally I think people are looking way, way too much into what Chris Rock actually said and making crazy comparisons with people in wheelchairs, dying of terminal conditions, those undergoing chemotherapy, and whatever else.

Sure, what Chris Rock said really wasn't that funny - but it was absolutely not that offensive or ill-spirited either and if not for Will Smith's irrational, radically over the top explosion, would've been forgotten about as soon as it was said as an absolutely nothing joke.

I loved Ricky Gervais roasts but they were in a different stratosphere altogether in terms of offense intended and taken and to suggest Chris Rock eclipsed that is frankly crazy in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I very much doubt you are being serious but there was a network TV comedy made about his teenage years in the late 00s that most people would at least be aware of considering it played on RTE and E4 for years if I remember correctly.

I don't think I've gone a month without hearing the name Chris Rock in my adult life tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Luckily both parties were black otherwise there would be race riots across the US

Never heard of this guy until the oscars as I don’t consume American media much, or maybe I just forgot

thing here us many men suffer by going bald and nobody cares and will even roast the sufferer, but some supposedly macho man is given free pass to punch another comedian for the dignity of a female, apart from assault it is also sexist, he does believe she can speak her own mind, he would not assault the speaker of the joke if it was female,and neither he would stand up for the victim if they were male, probably he laughs if the victim is homosexual.

i think the presenter should press charges and sue, the other one has plenty of money

The papers would call it a slap, because it was a slap. As trashcan said, Chris Rock himself said that Will Smith just slapped him. He didn't open his hand after the assault, his hand was open the whole time. If it was a punch it would have done more damage.

And both parties were black. There's no point talking about hypotheticals and comparing what would have happened in those cases. They are pure figments of your imagination at that stage and not worthy of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's easily the most famous stand up comedian in the world of the past twenty five years after Dave Chapelle and is a much more prolific actor than Chapelle

• Advertisement

The comedian had to call it a slap to lighten the tone for this was the oscars. If he told the truth, that he had been punched, administrators might have sent medics and security.

as i say both have firm for this, one fir telling crass jokes, the other for punching (not slapping) unsuspecting victims

He sells out the point everytime he plays here. Plays similar sized arenas everywhere he tours. He's been one of the biggest stand ups in the world since the 90s. Had a major tv show based on his life, stars in numerous movies.

But he's a nobody because you're completely out of touch with comedy

Gave you a chance to dogwhistle as well, so win win.

Chris Rock was very good in the recent Fargo ( granted it was only an ok series)

He has nothing to apologise for and if he does, it's another nail in the coffin for comedy

Whoever the comedian is, or isn’t, you simply cannot assault someone (punch only then to open hand afterwards to indicate slap, please listen to audio for proof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tmh106

I like Chris rock as a comedian, never liked his acting, but to be fair I've seen very little of his acting work so he may have some good roles that I haven't seen.

However, his GI Jane "joke" in my opinion was crass, and not something I would expect a comedian of his class to resort to. Perhaps he doesn't have to apologise for it, but I don't think he should have said it. That is not in any way to excuse what Will Smith did. By doing what he did Smith actually let Rock of the hook to some extent.

It was a mild joke ,bald jokes are common place traditionally and everyone bald is that way due to some condition or other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we need someone to do a slow-mo of the the actual contact was it open hand or closed fist??

*any of you tech-nerds do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm surprised no one besides Diddy addressed it afterwards presenting or accepting as that stage is usually a platform for some agenda, Hopkins sorted of applauded Smith, pioneer actor Sydney Poitier was In Memoriam section singled out by Tyler Perry he could have said celebrate the craft etc., when talking, I kinda felt the room was for Smith against Chris Rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He didn't call him a paedophile....but it is a fact he always dates much younger woman and he has pretty much dumped all of them when they reach a certain age..

He also laughed at it....as did the person with him at the golden globes.

When it comes to hosts of these kind of shows I think Tina Fey and Amy Poehler strike a good middle ground. Funny without crossing the line.

I think this clip is quite relevant

There's no way Will Smith opened his hand from a clenched fist to an open palm that quickly while still swinging (top right picture). There would also be no reason for him to try and open his hand like that. He didn't make full contact across his face so there wasn't a clean slap noise, but it was definitely a slap. Again, as confirmed by Chris Rock who called it a slap. Calling it a slap rather than a punch would not lighten the tone of the fact that Will Smith just came up and clearly assaulted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

will smiths slap of Chris rock is now linked to racism by white people.

If anyone was ever wondering what gold standard mental gymnastics looked like... BEHOLD 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's all well and good Penn, but what if Will Smith had hit Chris Rock under the chin and sent him comically flying up into the air and through the roof, similar to a classic Loony Tunes cartoon? I think we'd be having a very different conversation if that had happened, I think you'll agree.

Do you think the race of the people involved has no effect on how the media cover stories? Seems a bit naive of you

Author says " the Oscars have seen worse "

No they most certainly have not ,no awards show has

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That's why I didn't say he called him a paedophile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its a joke about dating younger women....... You are inferring that its labelling LdC a paedo ......

Ricky said - "Joking about bad things isn't the same as doing bad things. The joke may not even be condoning bad things. It could be damming them. It depends on the actually joke. The subject of a joke and the target of a joke can be different. Being offended doesn't prove the joke is wrong."

His posting history doesnt matter to me.... You labelled anyone that thinks its staged as a 'con theorist' .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement