Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The IPCC just said there is a rapidly closing window for us to make the changes needed to allow for an inhabitable world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

" an easy plan as most farmer's are on 3 phase" very few farmer's are on 3 phase, 1-2 % at most

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

More nimbyism by the greens, sure let everyone else build them just not in my backyard...

Tara Connolly of Global Witness said in her submission Europe had enough LNG terminals and building one in Ireland would take years.

“Given the useful lifespan of an LNG terminal is 30-40 years, it is feasible that Irish gas customers or taxpayers could still be paying for the LNG terminal in 2062,” she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The thread is about "green policies" destroying this country. Afaik those policies being referred to come from here and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Correct and right. The greens argument falls down on the fact gas is essential for the foreseeable futture so they turn to the cost as a scaremongering tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Your posts are full of crap, repeated government policy notions with no clue what's actually going on

My counter argument to 'green policies destroying this country' is that the fossil fuel industry's concerted efforts to block green policies from being implemented, is not only destroying this country, but destroying the entire world

And the rampant fearmongering about the mere possibility of electricity rationing in a 'perfect storm' where renewables all across the grid all fail to generate at the same time, without any consideration for what would happen if multiple breadbaskets all experience crop failures at the same time (something that is explicitly forecast in the most recent IPCC report)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/climate-change-could-devastate-global-food-supplies-researchers-warn-153024618.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Have any of the IPCC's predictions come true yet? Because to my knowledge almost all historical predictions about global temperature rises and sea level rises have all been vastly overestimated.

As for famines and poor harvests, its nothing new. These things have happened since the dawn of time, which is why we diversify and grow far more than we need to cover for such an event. We are at far more risk from food shortages due to war than climate change. Though I'm sure when they inevitable food shortages come (from Russian & Ukrainian wheat shortages due to war, and fertilizer shortages) that you will be claiming it was climate related and the IPCC warned of this all along.

Its green policy to vastly cut our national herd numbers and move more to growing crops than meat, yet meat is far more resilient to any poor harvests. So again, theres a green policy that actually puts us at greater risk of food insecurity in this country.

• Advertisement

Have you not been reading my posts??? Fossil fuel lobbying has delayed and prevented the transition away from fossil fuels for decades

The amount of progress we have made on energy storage technology in the past few years has been staggering, if we had taken the transition from hydrocarbons seriously 40 years ago, that technology would all be mature installed infrastructure by now. Instead they spent decades waging a PR war against the science behind climate change so that we waited until the problem is already a crisis before beginning to act, and now that it is a crisis, they're ramping up their campaign against renewables to claim that we cannot wean ourselves off gas because renewables are not viable

We need to bite the bullet and commit to no new fossil fuel infrastructure, and to focus entirely on building the infrastructure we need for the future

Noted more whataboutery. But unless you're big into the whole CT scene - then those discussing the issues of green policies here do not represent the "fossil fuel industry". And yes there are big problems with the reliability of renewables. And that's one of the reasons that natural gas and or nuclear are recognised as being necessary to help the transition period to renewable energy generation and beyond

Attempting to claim that any criticism is "fearmongering" is closer to the type of thing the Chinese government might come out with tbf.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Your 'knowledge' is hopelessly misinformed

All of the IPCC predictions have come and in fact, as each new report gets released, the future projections are getting more and more negative as we pass the milestones warned about in previous reports earlier than expected

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/ipcc-predictions-then-versus-now-15340

You never gave me any feedback on the battery storage for solar PV after I provided the thread? learn anything useful?

Any decent sized farmer will require three phase. Even new larger houses now with a A2W are getting 3 phase. Not sure why you need to post so aggressively?

Its not a conspiracy theory to say that the fossil fuel industry have spent billions over the decades to convince people that climate change is not as serious as it is, and that alternatives to fossil fuels are not viable. You're just one of those people who has been convinced.

You also do not know what the term whataboutery means

Gas is needed during the transition from Fossil fuels. Everyone agrees with this.(for the millionth time). The transition means the time it takes to scale up the infrastructure to replace fossil fuels. Diverse Renewable energy, interconnectors, and BESS. The key being the capacity to store energy. BESS will make grid management much more simple and cheaper and easier to maintain. And the 'cost' of relying on fossil fuels, is vastly subsidised by future generations who will suffer the cost in the environmental destruction these emissions are causing.

Lithium Ion batteries are not suitable to grid scale storage. But there are much cheaper and more suitable technologies that are already being rolled out

It is conspiracy theory to suggest that discussing green policies are representatives of the fossil fuel industry

Yes I do know what "whataboutery" means and your comments are a bench mark for it tbh. From one comment regarding the reliability of renewable energy generation you've made the leap to monitoring global wheat production and spuds, then sideways to those discussing green policies being akin to fossil fuel industry representatives or wtte

Jayus now you agree that a safe, secure and reliable source of natural gas or other alternatives are needed. The point being made in my original comment. And no unfortunately not everyone in this discussion seems to agree with that

I didnt mention by batteries btw but I see that didn't stop you.

😂

So is that a no on the batteries?

The only spoofer around here is the guy who claimed Solar PV only works 3 months a year. As I already said I don't respond to bullies requests.

it is terrible that we have so many keyboard warriors on boards. When they get caught out talking rubbish they think the best option is to try abuse and call names to the other person. Are people really that pathetic in real life or just on boards?

Solar generation for first week of Jan. So much for the "it only works 3 month a year"

I am sure I will get some more pathetic accusations.

• Advertisement

Ah lol I see your trying to weasel out of that one with a circular argument.

So what you're saying is that a farmer for example with 10 acres and 3 phase electricity is the definition of a "decent sized farmer"? Ok

So how many of these "decent sized farmers" have 3 phase electricity?

The nuclear industry killed itself, firstly with itself devasting safety failures and then with the insane costs to build the things.

That's before we even talk about the waste issue. Nuclear power is many things, clean is not one of them

I have no idea how many have 3 phase. I know a couple with 100+ cows(I haven't gone to the field to count) who have 3 phase because of the requirements when milking. How many acres they have? no idea.

I am sure this little rabbit hole is very exciting for everyone, still doesn't change the green policy for solar pv on shed roofs etc. But it was very exciting

You posted solar pv only works 3 months a year. When I pointed out that was bullsh*t you have gone on this rampage since and name calling. I already showed proof multiple times but you have ignored it. Cop on to yourself

So what you're saying is that by claiming that any decent sized farmer has 3 phase.  you're actually just making that up.

Fair enough.

If you read the thread I already post. But you are too busy ranting and raving.

So do you have proof I am wrong? or it seems that having actual knowledge of people on the ground should be disregarded.

So far you have failed miserably to back up anything you have published on this thread yet you spend a serious amount of time telling everyone else they know nothing etc.

Even the IFA as mentioned above have a separate program for farmers to invest in solar. I am sure they have no idea either but you do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As another poster pointed out, fossil fuel lobbying are the only lobby that is delayed the transmission. The green movement have also played their part down the years with their anti nuclear campaigns where nuclear is now recognised as a transition source.

Green supporters here talk about weaning ourselves of fossil fuels as if fossil fuels were a drug that we could all give up in the morning by going cold turkey. They do not seem to see the reality that, a) we would be the only country doing so, and b) it would wipe out our economy overnight due to rolling blackouts.

There just appears to be this total remove from the reality that presently renewables are not a reliable source of energy and that, in our case at least, we will be for many years to come requiring fossil fuels to fill that gap. Due to a policy that has left us over dependent on natural gas we are now looking at serious problems with natural gas due to the war in Ukraine in the immediate future, and the greens answer is ban liquefied natural gas while closing down other fossil burning plants where the shortfall from these plants is to be made up by...... nine new natural gas fired plants.

The Irish Green party and their supporters are living in a fantasy land of 100% renewables providing all our requirements in the morning, and not just the present requirements, but all the other add-ons such as electric cars, heat pumps etc. without a clue as to how that is achievable while at the same time totally ignoring the here and now.

• Advertisement

BESS does not replace nuclear. It competes with Gas for load balancing

Nuclear and renewable power, as well as gas with Full CCAS (if they can make that economical) will be the primary energy sources in the future. BESS will be the load balancer and storage of excess power during times of surplus

Grid scale BESS will be a part of it, but local BESS will be an even more important part of it. If the price and availability of energy is as volatile as you are all suggesting, then Industry will install plant scale batteries that they can use to manage their energy costs. Future electricity prices will be handled by a smart network that dynamically reduces and increases the price of electricity depending on demand and supply. So it would make loads of sense for a factory to have a battery on site where they can stockpile electricity when the price is low, and then use that power when the price is high.

This would hugely help to smooth out the energy demand and improve efficiency across the network

Other operators will do the same thing, except they will just buy and sell electricity to and from the grid, buying low, and selling high.

Advertisement