Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Jack has only managed Kerry twice against Tyrone in championship football...Won one, lost one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Another game, another injury,

Maybe our S&C sector needs to be re-assessed this winter ?

Happening all too often now for it to be put down to bad luck at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is exactly why I would take a Dublin defeat every day of the week over a Kerry one. I couldn't listen to aul **** like that and Horan changed the whole mantra of Mayo teams. He really has to be commended on that. Jacky is made of that plamas cloth with his aul comments like "that performance would warm the heart". You couldn't beat them enough!!!. I hope we do it again but I think they will be gunning for the win a little bit more.

It was the manner of the defeats that stood out. I remember watching the games (2005 and 2008) and the intensity of the tackles were very driven and also very impressive. For me it showed a driven agenda that they wanted to not only defeat them but do it in a manner that showed them up. At the time I wished Mayo would play like that and a few years later we started to.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

That's as may be but it still doesn't negate the point that the 2008 match had nothing to do with Jack, when your original post implied that Jack had repeatedly lost to Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Where did Aido play on Sunday? CHF?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any word on a special train for Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Watch out for time changes and bus replacements on Sunday as engineering works are taking place.

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/irishrail-engineering-works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

While I wouldn't believe these lads of they told me it was Tuesday theres a rumour mentioned here that COC is going well in training

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2022/03/28/diarmuid-oconnor-a-major-doubt-for-kerry-showdown/

• Advertisement

Hopefully it's true, but didn't they say Cillian was back training before the all Ireland final last September?

How did he fair over all results? He had it all his own way with the exception of Tyrone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also said Eoghan McLaughin was back in with a chance of playing the final after 4 weeks after breaking his jaw.The basis for this speculation was Horan mentioned Eoghan had come to a training session and sat on a spinning bike,this is the level we're at here.

Connaught Telegraph have been a jokeshop for years,have a look at their fb page,you couldn't make it up (they do a lot of the time)

Aiden Henry is a particularly odious person,has a set against Horan for years.He gives oxygen to stupid rumours and in a lot of cases starts them himself (for example the two mentioned here)

Obviously nobody takes him seriously and might be one of the reasons the Connaught is struggling.,I wouldn't want my business to be seen to support the likes of that guy.

I've heard from my own source close to the team that Cillian is indeed close,Robbie is a major doubt (he had a small op on his knee last week and is out for 4-6 weeks,this hasn't been reported anywhere that I can see but that's the situation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

He got injured again on Sunday - had to be stretchered off, was on Crutches after the game. Likely a knee injury but that's me guessing - what the injury is/was or how long it would take to recover, I couldn't tell you.

Sorry Pressrun,

I don't know the full story there so would only be speculating.

I know when he emerged on crutches he looked visible upset,really terrible for the lad and took the shine off the day for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah saw that alright. Was just wondering had there been any update since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Heard it was his ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Connacht Telegraph on FB is the Ger Deere and his councillors in blue soapbox. Sports section used be miles behind Mayo News and Western, don't know if any change in last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Back in the day they weren't bad... though getting a pair of tickets to the '96 replay from John Melvin for doing a kids eye view on a few of the earlier games might have me a little biased there. Used to go out of their way to gather full reports from the underage schools games too, even before Gerald's had the All Ireland Final appearance, which was relatively rare at the time in the mid 90s.

In more recent years hard to describe what's happening there as sports journalism. A real shame. Every rumour printed as a story regardless of the (lack of) sources. Clickbait, virality, social shares, vanity metrics and the evolving revenue streams for print media haven't been kind to them and has seen a dramatic decline in the quality of their offerings. Would go out of my way to avoid clicking a link to them for sport at this point.

Thankfully Mid West did an amazing job for a long time keeping us up to date (was a genuine joy hearing Mike Finnerty there for years. Streets ahead as the best commentator in the country to my ears) and the Mayo News' offerings at the moment are up there with the very best of local GAA coverage I've seen in the country. Makes such a difference in enjoying sport having that available. If the GAA can fix the mess they've made with rights deals and get the streaming back to the level it was at during the early pandemic we could really be in for a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

I hope Mayo really go for the league final on Sunday and don't hold back anything. Galway is still 3 weeks away. The team I would like playing would be as follows:

1. Byrne, 2. Plunkett, 3. Keegan 4. O'Hora 5. Durcan 6. Coen 7. Mullin 8. Ruane 9. Flynn 10. D O'Connor (Subject to his injury) 11. O'Shea 12. Carney 13. O'Donoghue 14. Doherty 15. Carr.

If DOC is out then McLoughlin in. Hopefully Cillian might make the bench for 20 mins. I also presume Hennelly is still unavailable. Byrne has done well but he doesn't seem to have the same range of kickouts. On the bench maybe pushing for places are McBrien, Hession, Orme, Brickenden, McLauglin and Loftus.

100% agree with every word of this.

John Melvin is a gentleman and I would have always associated him with the Connaught in the past,there can't be much of an age difference between him and Aiden Henry but there's a massive gulf in class,respect and decency.

Midwest have always done such a great job and continue to do so.

We've never had it so good with coverage and analysis which only highlights the continued incompetence,false stories,bias and nastiness of the Connaught,the sad thing is it all seems to come from one bitter individual who seems to have been promoted beyond his capabilities.

The Mayo News podcast is absolutely top notch,they brought it to another level altogether now since they went to Patreon both in terms of increased output and quality.

Have to give a mention to Ah Ref aswell,great craic even if it's sporadic and yer man Enda hasn't a fcuking notion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone reckon better seats will go onsale yet? Theres only near the corners on sale currently

I saw that,I wonder will they open the upper tiers,much better view from anywhere up there than the corners below.Also the Hill doesn't seem to be open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fully agreed as well, The Connaught went to the wayside a long time ago. Its social media is almost satirical at times.

The Connaughts sales manager is the president of the Castlebar chamber of commerce... You couldn't make it up!!!

John Melvin lived and breathed sport, badly missed in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone know of any buses going. Looks like return Train is sold out.

Doubt the hill will be open

I'm told DOC had a hammer issue going into the Kildare game which was worsened. Four weeks isn't a lot of time to get right for championship

Any word on Brendan Harrison? They usually announce on social if there has been a season ending injury, but no update so far.

• Advertisement

Hopefully nothing too bad, mainly from his personal perspective, I think he's a fairly hands on builder. It really is crazy and admiral what these guys risk. Most wouldn't be too affected by injuries on the work front, but I'm sure it would on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Harrison has lads working for him, not sure how well insurance is going to cover what his actual loss of income is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Ah Ref's whatsapp reporting COC on the bench for Sunday, ur man that provided that would be a reliable sort

Great news if its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

They only announced at 1 that there was an extra train, sold out already 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm sure they all have insurance of some sort. I.e I'm sure/would hope they're all covered for medical bills... But Income protection insurance is fairly expensive and never pays out the full income afaik.

Anyway, most of them are in jobs where it wouldn't have too much of an effect, if any. Just suspect it would do for a lad like Harrison. In his case, you're often working for your own business rather than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Been watching the tickets all week, pretty rubbish sections on sale😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Same here. Wonder will they open Canal end? Ticketmaster says low availability now !!

I suppose season ticket holders from the 4 counties would take up a significent section of the lower stands.

Im giving it til lunchtime, if they havent opened more by then they probably wont at all

• Advertisement

I'd strongly disagree with the last line, Enda knows his stuff, he could tell you who the starting wing back on the Laherdane B team is, you'd go a long way to find someone with a better knowledge of the game in Mayo

Not really,season tickets from Mayo approx 5k,kerry maybe 2k and Galway/Roscommon about 1k each,that's 9k in total.Lower cusack,canal and hogan is over 30k (cusack 13.5k, hogan 12k,canal 6k) Season tickets holders will take up less than a third of the lower tiers,there's also an additional 3k in the middle tier and then I'm not sure what the corporate boxes hold but another few hundred there.

Maybe he'd be better suited to a dedicated Mayo Club scene show then (I know Ah Ref is that most of the time) My problem is when he starts talking about inter County,he genuinely hasn't a notion what goes on at elite level.

He was going on about how Horan naming dummy teams was disrespectful to Mayo fans who deserved to know the team and disrespectful to players,this sort of thing is pub talk.A lot can change between naming a team and playing a game at the top level.Thats just one example, he can only see things from his own perspective ie junior level etc.

I don't want to run him down here too much because I enjoy the show and always listen,he's at his best when doing the club scene and I find him informative in this scenario,he has a great chemistry with Ref himself ,it's like having a few pints and talking football.

If you want top level analysis I think Billy Joe on the Mayo News pod is the best,even though they never played at the top level I'd also add Mike Finnerty and Ed McGreal in there.

It's all down to expectations, I don't think they set any expectations of top-level analysis! It is what it is and it's very enjoyable, and shouldn't be just contained to the club scene.

He has a point about the dummy teams if you ask me. I can see why managers don't want to show their hand but they should really do away with it altogether at this stage.

That's a very fair point as regards expectations, I enjoy the show and need to keep that in mind!

On the dummy teams,if its a case of trying to put the opposition off or keep them guessing then I'd say its pointless and silly.I think it's more to do with naming a team on a Thurs and having a session between then and Sunday,Horan has directly referenced this before.

Now I do happen to know in the case of the kildare game the team named early in the week was a complete dummy team and the players were told this.The actually team and squad was named in the team WhatsApp on fri night about 10pm.This was an outlier though and not the way it generally went this league campaign.

I'm kicking myself for not tuning into it sooner tbh. I had wrongly assumed it would something like a Buff Egan / Banter Page type thing.

The problem with the dummy team is that if a few counties are doing it to try to throw off opposition, then others will have to follow suit or risk being called naive after a defeat. I do think we do it to some degree in the bigger matches ourselves, the session in between can be the reason for the change or a good excuse to not show all your cards... I don't think Horan is being 100% honest there, nor would I expect him to be either.

I don't think I've paid any real heed to a team announcement in years at this stage, it should probably be done away with at this stage but it does add something to the build-up I suppose.

Better seats now available lads!

Extremely limited amount in lower Cusack and Hogan

There wasn't a great selection, I was trying to get 4 together and couldn't

Yeah I think the ah ref podcast is excellent. Obviously they won't have the in depth tactical knowledge of a former intercounty player or manager, but that's not the idea. The 2 lads must know every club player in the county and have their ear to the ground on guys being called up and let go from the senior panel. You don't get that with other podcasts IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement