Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No way in hell this was staged.

It makes Smith look very bad and affects the brand, violence is a no no.

And nearly even worse is the language outburst.

Maybe some people here have never been to the states, but bad language is a no no for a huge chunk of middle America, the types that go to the movies and spend the money.

For instance a lot of middle America would frown upon the way we Irish throw in "cuss words" into our conversation.

Bad language may be ok for rappers, etc, but definetly not for Hollywood A listers at award ceremonies.

This is where the carefully crafted masks slips, much like the lunacy exhibited by Cruise sometime back when he started jumping around couches and talking about his scientology beliefs.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kareem Abdul Jabbar wrote an interesting article discussing it.

He knows Will, appeared on Fresh Prince and visited Will's house.

And he says quite a bit about the damage Will's done. Not by 'the slap', but by how it's perceived. And how it reinforces stereotypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

You find someone getting slapped worse than giving a standing ovation to a known child rapist?

And there have been plenty of actual punch ups at awards shows over the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They won't inviting Smith to partake in a celebrity roast after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

But you did........

"He pretty much called Leo Di Caprio a paedophile."

See your post thats in my post (766) .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I wonder if Rock will make a statement now that Smith has apologised. Despite Judd Apatow stating Smith could have killed Rock he obviously chose to slap rather than punch him to show his displeasure rather than just him badly. A slap is very tame.

Smith should have used a glove and challeneged Chris to a duel at next years Oscars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It'd be like the Wild Wild West all over again.... and nobody wants that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Certainly it does, if the perp was white the situation would be far more grave, as it is , the media has treated it as a bit of whimsy between two African American stage actors

Lucky it was chris rock and not the rock or smith would have had the smackdown laid on him and his oscar would have been turned sideways and shoved up his candy ass

• Advertisement

And imagine if lesson had smacked will smith, world would go mad and call for lessons nuts in a bag, but chances of lesson winning an Oscar are minor, very wooden actor IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

The Guardian, a new low there. It's all the fault of white people.

If the Guardian ever went behind a paywall, would they even last the week? They should have left this piece until Friday, as that April 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Take your pick from his opening speech there when he last hosted

You’ll be pleased to know this is the last time I’m hosting these awards, so I don’t care anymore. I’m joking. I never did. I’m joking, I never did. NBC clearly don’t care either — fifth time. I mean, Kevin Hart was fired from the Oscars for some offensive tweets — hello?

Lucky for me, the Hollywood Foreign Press can barely speak English and they’ve no idea what Twitter is, so I got offered this gig by fax. Let’s go out with a bang, let’s have a laugh at your expense. Remember, they’re just jokes. We’re all gonna die soon and there’s no sequel, so remember that.

But you all look lovely all dolled up. You came here in your limos. I came here in a limo tonight and the license plate was made by Felicity Huffman. No, shush. It’s her daughter I feel sorry for. OK? That must be the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to her. And her dad was in Wild Hogs.

Lots of big celebrities here tonight. Legends. Icons. This table alone — Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro … Baby Yoda. Oh, that’s Joe Pesci, sorry. I love you man. Don’t have me whacked. But tonight isn’t just about the people in front of the camera. In this room are some of the most important TV and film executives in the world. People from every background. They all have one thing in common: They’re all terrified of Ronan Farrow. He’s coming for ya. Talking of all you perverts, it was a big year for pedophile movies. Surviving R. Kelly, Leaving Neverland, Two Popes. Shut up. Shut up. I don’t care. I don’t care.

Many talented people of color were snubbed in major categories. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about that. Hollywood Foreign Press are all very racist. Fifth time. So. We were going to do an In Memoriam this year, but when I saw the list of people who died, it wasn’t diverse enough. No, it was mostly white people and I thought, nah, not on my watch. Maybe next year. Let’s see what happens.

No one cares about movies anymore. No one goes to cinema, no one really watches network TV. Everyone is watching Netflix. This show should just be me coming out, going, “Well done Netflix. You win everything. Good night.” But no, we got to drag it out for three hours. You could binge-watch the entire first season of Afterlife instead of watching this show. That’s a show about a man who wants to kill himself ’cause his wife dies of cancer and it’s still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so in the end he obviously didn’t kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein. Shut up. I know he’s your friend but I don’t care.

Seriously, most films are awful. Lazy. Remakes, sequels. I’ve heard a rumor there might be a sequel to Sophie’s Choice. I mean, that would just be Meryl just going, “Well, it’s gotta be this one then.” All the best actors have jumped to Netflix, HBO. And the actors who just do Hollywood movies now do fantasy-adventure nonsense. They wear masks and capes and really tight costumes. Their job isn’t acting anymore. It’s going to the gym twice a day and taking steroids, really. Have we got an award for most ripped junky? No point, we’d know who’d win that.

Martin Scorsese made the news for his controversial comments about the Marvel franchise. He said they’re not real cinema and they remind him about theme parks. I agree. Although I don’t know what he’s doing hanging around theme parks. He’s not big enough to go on the rides. He’s tiny. The Irishman was amazing. It was amazing. It was great. Long, but amazing. It wasn’t the only epic movie. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, nearly three hours long. Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere and by the end his date was too old for him. Even Prince Andrew was like, “Come on, Leo, mate.You’re nearly 50-something.”

The world got to see James Corden as a fat pussy. He was also in the movie Cats. No one saw that movie. And the reviews, shocking. I saw one that said, “This is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs.” But Dame Judi Dench defended the film saying it was the film she was born to play because she loves nothing better than plunking herself down on the carpet, lifting her leg and licking her own minge. (Coughs.) Hairball. She’s old-school.

It’s the last time, who cares? Apple roared into the TV game with The Morning Show, a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing, made by a company that runs sweatshops in China. Well, you say you’re woke but the companies you work for in China — unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?

So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and **** off, OK? It’s already three hours long. Right, let’s do the first award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never during the ceremony itself, the Oscars isn't the MTV awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What if Rock had a gun like his Fargo character would have. Would he have been entitled to shoot Smith in self defence??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

absolutely none what so ever, if Leo DiCaprio went up and panned Ricky Gervais with a slap it'd be the same outrage/uproar... minus the race card.

To believe race has anything to do with this situation is absolutely nonsense.

One thing to be certain, nobody cares about this shower anymore, oscars are just promotion for and self-awarding if medals for people making boring films. Interest has waned, special effects look ever worse as the money is leeched out, audience numbers dwindle, really nobody cares about oscars m, which is why punch between actors gains so much notice. Will smith should never receive award, and comedian host should never be put on soapbox. Very unfunny ‘ptofessional’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Prince Andrew is the worlds most famous nonce. "Even Prince Andrew was like..............."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

And the winner of the most out of touch boards user goes to....

• Advertisement

Dicaprio was groomed as child actor do joke is very close to bone too, sometimes victims become abusers so all in all poor thing to joke about

It has been the most talked about thing in the world for the last two days ahead of everything a lot more serious happening in the world right now so I am pretty sure you are wrong when you say "nobody cares about this shower anymore" including yourself since you have taken the time and have posted plenty about your opinions on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But i didn't

"pretty much" - Synonyms: nearly, almost, just about, about, more or less, practically, virtually, all but, as good as, next to, close to, near, nigh on, not far from, not far off, to all intents and purposes, approaching, bordering on

No I myself had no clue this was even on the box until the assault. Many are the same. Totally irrelevant for most. Rich Americans putting medals on each other for dull moving pictures

You you are saying, to all intents and purposes he called him a paedophille? At least own what you posted, saying someone “pretty much” said something is more than just an insinuation.

The association with Prince Andrew was clearly inferring some sort of paedo activity. Obviously done for comic effect but that was the point of the joke. I'd be more upset at someone associating me with, or putting me in the same bracket as, a paedo than I would someone saying that my wife with a shaved head looks like a famous movie character with a shaved head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

jake paul offering them 15 million dollars each to fight on his undercard

Just to be clear, the case against Prince Andrew was a civil one, not a criminal one.

You are splitting hairs now.....

You are 'pretty much' trying to say what you posted , wasnt what you posted. Just own it lad.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. I'm sure the lad was completely innocent. And epstein killed himself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

What would have been really brilliant is if Chris Rock had run away, and Will Smith was forced to chase him around the stage ( with the Benny Hill music playing for greater effect.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He would be arrested, however Chris Rock himself declined to press charges. The decision lies with Chris Rock. The LAPD has said they're willing to arrest Smith and start an investigation if Rock decides to press charges within the next 6 months.

As for not kicking him out, they're saying it was because they struggled to get confirmation/agreement on what to do (especially as they knew he was winning the Best Actor award and therefore would have had to rejig things on the fly) as the people responsible for those decisions were too far spread throughout the place, and they didn't get anything done in time. But yeah, I think even the Academy are saying they should have had him removed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah an arrest would depend on pressing charges, so it's not surprising the police didn't waltz in and cuff him.

Removing him would have been an entirely reasonable & fair thing to do under the circumstances and almost certainly the best option. Equally, it was an incident without much precedent - you can rest assured an a-list star (and imminent best actor winner) slapping a host was not in the contingency planning, and god knows the number of decision-makers such a thing as removing would have to go through. So it's not surprising he wasn't removed, and it's easy for us to say in hindsight what should have happened when it took so long for people to even come to terms with what did happen.

Enlighten us please, no doubt you have evidence to support both statements.

• Advertisement

Thats sound like the usual statement from the usual suspect in the " Con Theories" threads ....... 🙄🤐

Nah chief, just common sense.

Prince Andrew was friends with Jeffrey Epstein who owned a paedo island, and that royal often visited the paedo island and spent loads of time with him, lied about not being able to sweat, made up some elaborate story about Pizza Express in Woking, and paid off a girl who accused him of dirty diddling. I'm sure he's grand.

Jeffrey Epstein was jailed for paedo activity and had the ability to implicate a heap of well known and powerful people (like the royal mentioned above). Unfortunately, at the time of his suicide, the guards were asleep and both cameras around his cell malfunctioned. What rotten luck. And independent forensic investigators seem to believe that his injuries are more consistent with homicide than suicide

Just bad luck and coincidence?

Put it this way, I wouldn't be letting anyone who has good things to say about Prince Andrew look after my kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks, I think that's enough about Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein for a thread about the Academy Awards. Stay on topic please!

So you can’t enlighten us? Nothing to show JE killed himself, while Prince Andrew doesn’t come accross as someone you’d like hanging around with teenagers, the case was a civil one so there is no Criminal conviction.

Your statement about JE belongs in the conspiracy theory thread, and PA has been no conviction for wrongdoing.

Common sense says you don’t post statement of fact, unless it is shown to be so.

being fair there is no other industry in the world that would pay fools like this to act the clown

• Advertisement

But circus performers actually have skills like juggling and taming

Id say Jada is adept to juggling balls and taming her husband.

There was no attempt of subtlety. It was a bawdy joke.

Lighten up.

But....but....but... have you proof ??

But, rumours say she is well able for 'Big Willy Style' , and that their 'open' marriage was her doing?

I wonder was Chris Rock taming her at any stage ?

Do they really have an open marriage? I’ve always been attracted to pocs, she is a good looking lady and I hate to think of that clown cheating his way about the town, repulsive character very showy and overconfident

I’ll admit it did cross my mind is the presenter riding that, or did he ride that in the past, but then probably he wouldn’t make the bald joke if they had been intimate in the past

Chris Rock's prior joke about JPS from the 2016 Oscars for her boycott on diversity was better

“Jada said she’s not coming, protest. I was like, ‘Isn’t she on a TV show?’ Jada’s going to boycott the Oscars? Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited!” he said, prompting laughs from the audience.

Part of the joke that he did the other day also referenced her lack of film career

Moving from Movie Star couple Javier and Penelope, both with nominations, to the Smith's, Jada was the odd one out without a nomination so hence the double jab on GI Jane 2 as a possible movie role

• Advertisement
Advertisement