Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a Model 3 on order too for August. Was planning to trade in my Model S Performance. I liked the Y, but I wasn’t 100% on it if you get me.

It will be a very popular or at least, very sought after car in Ireland as we love our mini SUV’s 😀

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was pleasantly surprised by the looks of the Model Y in the flesh too. The Model 3 is a bit of an ugly duckling, the Y is supposed to be just a bigger version of it, but they don't look alike at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla have two factories officially opening in coming weeks, be interesting to see exact Berlin plan

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

yea it very much felt it was more of a mature car - maybe showing my age or the SUV generation in me but it looked really impressive and more premium than the 3 - I’ll do a test run but my test run in the model 3 wasn’t perfect and I still bought that

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Spotted some new Y owner with a bike rake on the back in centre parcs. Getting to know their bike carrying drag coefficient early. Looked well in black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tesla Model Y review after 1100 miles of family life. The good, the bad and the long term efficiency

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t think there’s any right or wrong. Or one is better than the other. You buy what suits your needs and likes.

Some people will buy an i4 as it’s a more conventional looking car. Some will like the Tesla minimal design mantra.

Either way, once we’re all happy 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

How big was the recent shipment of these, I’m seeing them all over the place here over the last couple of weeks. Nice black one with black wheels just passed me on the N11 there. They look much better in real life than in pics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’m actually surprised given their price point, haven’t seen one in the flesh yet

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Spotted a Blue Y in Swords yesterday . Very impressive car and great colour .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

deposit holders.

once they get theirs, the sales will reflect the price point. V similar to the M3 in late 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Do you mean it'll be the best selling EV in the world too?

Tbh I’m unconcerned about the sales or prices of cars elsewhere in the world, the only market and prices that matter are here in Ireland, and I suspect the Y will follow the 3 in that respect - lots of buzz, lots of deposits from tesla fans, but ultimately the mass market buyer is choosing something else.

2021 for example, 860 Tesla buyers got their long awaited M3, but 90% of EV buyers chose something else (8,600 ev sales). The Y won’t move that needle much once the deposit holders have their cars, indeed with the deluge of competition, Tesla will likely maintain their volume here but drop in market share.

even with the chip shortage, it’s highly likely that 19 out of 20 EVs delivered in 2022 wont be a tesla. It’s very hard to see the Y volume changing that, given the price for what it is - a family medium suv.

I agree with you on that one, sk8board. Model Y is no doubt best in class but €60k (no subsidy) for a family size largish crossover is a hard sell when you can buy a perfectly fine alternative (with a smaller range but still adequate for most people) like a Skoda Enyaq, VW ID.4 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 for around the €40k mark (after the €5k subsidy)

Edit - just checked and the Enyaq and ID.4 start at around the €50k mark, that's a lot more than I thought. If it wasn't for the subsidy, they would only be about €5k cheaper than the Tesla, which has more range and is far better specced. And will likely have lower depreciation (see the tiny depreciation on the Model 3 now)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

None of the MEB/HyundaiKia cars mentioned above come with AWD at that price.

The 10k difference is a nuance of the silly grant level, it's 5k in reality. As you rightly point out. But if you want an AWD MEB/HyundaiKia you're paying more than or the same as the MY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Not sure where you got your number of EVs sold in 2021 but according to SIMI it was 2478 so Tesla had 35% of the market as opposed to the 10% you suggest.

Not sure why you think 2021 was a buzz year for the Model 3, it was 2019 when the long awaited first ones arrived.

Don't think Tesla are looking for mass market share, they are competing with the likes of Audi, BMW,Merc in the premium category. In this category they are selling much cheaper, faster, more efficient, more practical cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps I am reading your post wrong, but thought the ModelY started at just over €73K

No you are right. I was wrong above, just checked and indeed it is now €73k from what I can see. That's not cheap. Makes the €39k Ioniq 5 look like a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I call it the €37997 Ioniq 5 which it was (iirc) when we purchased.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yes, I can't see Model Y continue being a large seller in Ireland at 73k. If they re-launch a RWD version made in Germany something like 55-59k would make it much more palatable. Plenty of 58k Model 3 AWDs sold here up to July '21 before the two consequent price hikes with grant/Tesla increased the price by approx 10k. And Model Y is a way more usable vehicle.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Not a hope I would spend €73k on a Model Y AWD LR. The Performance model is only a few grand more, making that one much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

An AWD ID.4 is 18k less than a Model Y but has about 80km less range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

That is YoY so you 2021 is only for the same number of months as 2022 (3). I know it doesn't make sense. Just change 2022 with 2020 and you'll have full years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Spotted my first Model Y this morning in Clontarf. Black paint, with black wheels. Looked really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lewis motors in cabinteely have a model Y for sale if anyone doesn't want to wait.

Black with black interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What price? Cant see it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Doesn't mention the price. Just saw it on his Instagram stories.

Expect to pay a few grand over list.

I live in Dublin commuterville, so there are model 3’s on every street corner since Oct 2019, but I suspect the Y will be considerably more rare. I saw one in the city last week, that’s it so far. It might even have been the demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The difference is, the M3 SR+ is everywhere, but it's 20k cheaper than the current cheapest MY. I reckon the MY SR (if/when it exists) would do the same as the M3 SR.

Advertisement