Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I wonder did anyone mention to Tara that trebling the number of LNG terminals in Europe would make sweet f a difference where Ireland is concerned as our loonies are attempting to ban the use of LNG.

But perhaps like nuclear as long as we are getting someone else to do the heavy lifting then that is well and dandy. Totally hypocritical imho though seeing as we are expected to do the heavy lifting for some of the wealthiest nations on the planet who are showing they could care less when it comes to burning coal as a cheap energy source, and have no intentions of changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Battery storage will be price competitive when the industry matures. Remember Solar power, initially over a hundred dollars per watt

The BESS industry is still very young and it needs a lot of investment to scale up and even to develop the standards to reduce the cost of installing and approving them for access to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Battery storage was always going to come down, just look at the price now compared to a few years ago.

More and more money is been pushed into developments to reduce costs etc. Just look at the solar PV thread on here and people installing 20kWh+ of battery storage for less than 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It is conspiracy theory to suggest that discussing green policies are representatives of the fossil fuel industry

I never said that they were.

Just like the people who kept smoking because they didn't believe smoking caused cancer were not 'representatives of the tobacco industry' people who are repeating the arguments made by the fossil fuel PR campaigns are not 'representatives' of the fossil fuel industry.

and Whataboutery is where you introduce an offense committed by someone else, to distract from your own offense

'Green policies are not destroying our country', they are intended to protect our country from the much greater threat of climate change and environmental destruction. Occasionally green policies do not meet their objectives and may even be counter productive (eg, the promotion of Diesel) but it is massive hyperbole to say that policy 'destroyed our country' or that any other green policies 'destroy our country' when in fact environmental protections have made our country a much nicer and more pleasant place to live for most people, most of the time. I would even argue that we would have an even better country if certain green policies were given a much higher priority than they were.

The Irish Green party and their supporters are living in a fantasy land of 100% renewables providing all our requirements in the morning, and not just the present requirements, but all the other add-ons such as electric cars, heat pumps etc. without a clue as to how that is achievable while at the same time totally ignoring the here and now.

I didn't see anyone on this thread suggest anything of the sort. Anyone I seen posting is talking long term, 5,10,15 years out. Also discussing, like myself, on how to balance the grid with electric cars etc.

No idea why you continue to post this rubbish when multiple times you have been challenged on it, yet give it 1-2 days and you will post the same incorrect information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You made the claim about "decent sized farmers" and 3 phase electricity so you back it up. It's not up to others to prove your claims for you.

Aaaanndd we have yet another ggeneralised rant where you attack any poster who points out where a specific claim of yours doesnt stand up to scrutiny. Keep digging Broken, keep digging.

Edit.

I really have some concerns about your phraseology here. You do this a discussion forum here yes? That posters do not "publish" stuff yeah? If you are here to "publish" stuff I would wager you're in the wrong place.

And yes my comments to date are indeed based on facts, unlike your last one making bizarre assumptions about "decent sized farmers' for example

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Who has challenged me, you ?

You have been running and hiding from anything you have been challenged on.

Of course you are talking long term. It`s what mystics, crystal ball gazers and con men/women do. The further into the future their predictions are the less chance of them being challenged as incorrect. Even though they have nothing to back them up.

My point is that in the here and now we have a very real problem you do not need to look into a crystal ball or at animal entrails to see. Renewable are not reliable at present, and here especiall,y we need natural gas to make up the shortfall. The plan in the next 3 years is to take even more fossil fuel burning plants off the grid with 9 natural gas burning plants to be added. I don`t know if you have noticed, but there is a war going on that is going to severely limit the flow of natural gas into Europe. A shortfall that the E.U. is planning to alleviate by using LNG, yet the Irish Green party and their supporters want to ban LNG.

Simple question. Is the Irish Green party correct and the E.U. wrong, and if so then in the here and now what is your solution to the problem ?

Re conspiracy theory - where you said of the discussion

My counter argument to 'green policies destroying this country' is that the fossil fuel industry's concerted efforts to block green policies from being implemented, is not only destroying this country, but destroying the entire world

And that certainly is in the ballpark of conspiracy theory where you infer that those here discussing green policies are fearmongering or somehow representatives of that fossil fuel industry by claiming that anyone in this discussion are simply "repeating the arguments of the fossil fuel companies". Thats bs.

As for "whataboutery". This is the definition of that phrase from the online dictionary

the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

You certainly did the latter by rambling on about wheat and spuds and god knows what in reply to a very specific comment about the issues of renewables being a reliable form of energy generation

As reiterated the title of the thread btw is Green Policies are destroying the country - not "destroyed" or "destroy". You can quibble whether that means all green policies or some. I would suggest the latter. And btw I didn't start the thread or indeed create the thread title so you going off on a tangent about the thread title in reply to my original comment is indeed the height of whataboutery

But you are absolutely correct when you say some green policies don't always meet their objectives or as I would suggest even get within an asses roar of them and that's what this discussion is about. You don't like fine, no one is tying you here.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

But you haven't proved i am wrong so why do you think I am digging? so far multiple times you post something and then show a complete lack of information on the topic. So I don't really care if you don't believe me, if anything that proves I am right based on your track record so far.

Another 3 paragraph rant. Let's make it simple, Please provide a quote to anyone on this thread who said this, I don't need a big long answer, just a quote from someone on the thread who said this

The Irish Green party and their supporters are living in a fantasy land of 100% renewables providing all our requirements in the morning, and not just the present requirements, but all the other add-ons such as electric cars, heat pumps etc

• Advertisement

Lol. You have to provide proof of the things you're claiming here otherwise they are just your imagination. In the this instance you've provided no proof regarding your claim about 'decent sized farmers" and 3 phase electricity. You should be absolutely embarrassed to be coming up with bs such claims without proof, but here you repeatedly brazenly it out like its someone's else fault 😅😅😅

Aaannnnnd again the generalised rant and attack of another poster when that poster asks you to provide backup to what you're saying in the relevant comment.

Keep digging Broken, keep digging lol

you are hoping/relying on non existent technologies (smart grid, massive interconnections to Europe) which reminds me of all those falling for hydrogen hype

Curious as to why you call existing tech "non-existent". Can't understand that one

As for hydrogen, it's in its infancy but has a colossal amount of funding going into it. Same as what happened with wind and solar and batteries etc, the tech will evolve into something productive (from an energy storage pov)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nope. That article totally misrepresents the actual observed values for several of those metrics

Temperature and sea levels have not risen anywhere close to any of the IPCC's models. The actual changes track way below IPCC models.

Also I see you have ignored all my other points - you brought up famine and poor harvests, yet ignore the point that "green" farming policies in this country would put us even more at risk of that? curious

You mentioned smart grids and interconnectors both of which exist.

I am not sure why you reposted the same thing again. I gave you my personal experience. You have provided nothing to suggest I am incorrect. You keep talking about digging for some reason which has yet to become clear.

You also ignored larger houses now get 3 phase because of A2W pumps. Are you aware of that?

You're not sure? Really?

Because Broken you have repeatedly failed to provide any proof of your claim about "decent size farmers" and 3 phase electricity as requested.

Yeah the digging is the huge bloody hole you've dug for yourself and out of which you now cannot see and still you dig away frantically all the while blaming everyone but yourself. And as per this example, that means you've completely lost any credibility as a poster at this point.

Aah Broken, do you actually believe that anyone here hasn`t copped that rather than answer the simplest question from you it`s rants, accusations and and attempts at deflection. It`s so predictable at this stage it`s sad.

If you are looking for a quote that the Green Party and there supporters are living in a fantasy world of 100% renewables in the morning while not having a clue how to deal with the present situation with their calls for LNG to be banned, then you only have to read back through your own posts, where exactly the same as I mentioned, when asked all you came back with were rants, accusations etc.

Strange after all the name calling etc, when I provided the information you wanted you ignored. No apology?

• Advertisement

I answer, you just seem to have issues with comprehension. I cannot assist. But keep on digging(still not sure what that means)

And yet bizarrely still no backup or proof to the claim you made "decent sized farmers" and 3 phase electricity"

My dear broken, the only issue is plain to see in your own comments and an abject failure to back them up with.

Yeah keep digging that hole, it will be big enough to bury you soon without doubt ;)

Just to highlight, at least four times you have posted more or less the same thing. I have tried to explain and you have ignored.

Not much more I can do so best of luck, hopefully someone else will be interested in this type of "discussion"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Climate brainwashing added to the school curriculum, the new religion.

Not sure what any of that has to do with why you thought existing technologies don't exist but at least you acknowledge interconnectors are a thing

Already posted, I cannot help you to read the thread

The East-West interconnector, with a 500MW capacity, makes its larger than any power plants we currently have, with the largest being Great Island at 460MW.

The Celtic Interconnector, once built, will be larger again, at 700MW.

Tiny they are not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Battery storage another example of the greens nimby rubbish. The generation of these batteries are causing serious issues all over the world, lithium mining from salt brines contaminating water tables all over south america, congo and cobalt birth defects, china mining the **** of out of the place as it holds about 70 percent of the worlds graphite and all this is going to grow exponentially as the demand grows. we all know how environemntally consious the mining industry are world over but sure not to worry once the first world countries can feel good about themselves and saving the earth when lets face it your just destroying somewhere else. same as the lpg, nuclear, - greens policies is basically see no evil hear no evil, once its not on our doorstep.

• Advertisement

Thats an awful lot of "what if's" with little basis in reality so I see no need to explore them

Btw I ain’t letting you off the hook, how do you explain the most interconnected country in Europe having the highest electricity prices??

Why do you feel I need to answer this? Surely this is a question better put to a German who understands their grid. Not sure why you are asking this in a thread related to Ireland. Maybe start a thread on the topic, with a bit of luck a German poster will spot it and answer it. There's a low chance a German poster would spot your post in this thread but who knows

Advertisement