Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's for the likes of you that mandatory mask wearing needs to be re-introduced.

You'd go out of your way all day with empty rhetoric and meaningless double talk to avoid what is the simplest of societal courtesies and the most humble of things we can do to support health care workers under back breaking pressure.

The Government made a massive mistake with the message of removing all restrictions when the virology told them that Covid had a ways to go yet before becoming endemic. Their position should have been to keep basic public health measures in the back pocket and asked people to err on the side of caution.

They're going to look like awful fools when mandatory mask wearing is brought back for indoor settings by this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Its not though, it is an independent polling group that run the polling, not a group of CB watchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

There are absolutely no indications that are being reintroduced. So I don't know where you getting masks back for indoors by the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Covid restrictions are not there to make some feel better about their perceived courteous behaviour/"aren't I good!" virtue-signalling. No more than they are a solution to personal anxieties.

Wear your mask if you wish, but no-one is asking you to, and most don't care I'd suggest as evidenced by the majority who are getting on quite happily without them. This obsession with trying to control behaviour of others and bothering oneself with what they are/aren't doing is unhealthy!

The Government went with the advice from TOny Holohan and NPHET who said (and continue to say) that restrictions were no longer required given where we are with Covid. Why is that advice, which we've been told all along we should listen to, suddenly no longer good enough?

Finally, the message from Government has been remarkably consistent (for once!) that there is no need or plan to reintroduce restrictions. The only ones that seem to be calling for it are unions, the likes of RTE (who have made a fortune off the back of Covid), or noisy social media types. Everyone else seems to have moved on.

Again, wear your mask if you want to, for whatever reason you want to... but stop worrying about what others are/aren't doing because they're just as entitled to make their own decisions too.

Listen, I know how they work; I did the ESRI Covid surveys tracker (the famous worry meter) for a good while myself when I'd time to kill. They're full of loaded questions, and surveys by their nature will end up hitting a good percentage of people with a lot of time on their hands, again I know this from experience. I'm not bothered by covid now so I don't do their surveys, there's no point of me doing them. If you don't spend your day thinking about masks, good chance you're not going to be ar*ed to vote on polls for them.

And again, CB Live messed up another Covid poll a few months back, put up the wrong figures, hastily deleted their tweet and said no more. Polls aren't above interference, bias, misreporting, not hitting demographics, etc. The poll is vastly different to the experience that we are seeing all around us, even the celebrity experts wanting them agree they're not being worn. There is nothing like 65% wearing them in any setting - so unless people are wanting them legal but yet not wearing them, then the poll is not exactly representable.

• Advertisement

Incorrect... from the RTE link previously...

The poll was carried out on Monday among a sample of 1,000 adults participating on their smartphones for tonight's Claire Byrne Live programme, which will be broadcast at 10:35pm on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player.

I don't buy that at all....the only way to gauge the public opinion, in any measurable way, is by polling. The polling seems to suggest the majority would like to see more enforced mask wearing. You are claiming 'fake news' so the media can sell some ad's. You're whole argument that the majority do not want to see more enforced mask wearing hangs on the argument that the only measurable numbers are fake. Like I said, I don't buy it.

Your other argument, that if people were in favor of masks you would see them wearing them... well we all see what we want to see, I am just back from the shop, I saw loads of people wearing masks in there. Again, the best way to measure sentiment is to poll people. If you don't believe the polls then of course you can make up any statement.

Apologies, I was wrong, I always hear hem talk about IPSOS polls and Amarach research group when they mention the polling.

We're both right :) It was run by Amarach but a poll of CB viewers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s wasn’t a poll of CB viewers.

It was a poll of 1,000 people participating on their smart phones, carried out for the CB show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

And here’s me thinking the mask advocate lads couldn’t get any stranger!

You called them a moron and then made a disgusting comment like that about them,i wonder would you say that to their face?,i doubt it very much as its a lot easier to hide behind a keyboard at 2am on a Tuesday morning making comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

"Link dumps add nothing."

Once again having a go at my posts when I link something as dumps. You just can't help yourself.

My posts with links in them have sparked plenty of debate. So back off referring to them as adding nothing.

Also have any of my "link dumps" been misinformation? where by they might endanger someone's life? No.

I recall you posting "link dumps" which were misinfromation on the other hand. Think about it.

Keep asking those questions to me though because clearly I'm interested.

Wrong example.

The braking effect of masks on covid spread is entirely established as fact.

That we have chosen to allow covid to spread far far faster and deeper than other places is irrelevant.

Google multivariate maybe.

A lot of your posts seem to be twitter links or articles with no commentary or opinion from yourself - I stand to be corrected on this, but as far as I'm aware that's against the posting rules.

Regardless, your links have indeed been debated (as you seem unwilling/unable?) to do so and will no doubt continue to be so long as is necessary.

If you're similarly unwilling/unable to answer questions put to you then that's fair enough, but I'd suggest your posts will be viewed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

"Common sense", "decency"; there it is - the crux of the mandatory mask argument; no need for science, just do it for the symbolic gesture and how it makes you feel. From my perspective, you can wear six masks if you like, live and let live.

As for the 1812 overture while masturbating reference, have you cameras in my apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You mean you have no such indications.

I'm hearing differently from my FFG friends.

The Emergency Department Task force has asked for precisely that from the HSE.

The public health advisory team, which is to say the normal functionaries under the CMO when there is no standing NPHET, are going to recommend to the Minister within 48 hours that indoor mask wearing, hand sanitisation and management of numbers be renewed before the weekend and there'll be some sort of Government announcement either by the Taoiseach or the three leaders on Thursday or Friday evening.

Stay tuned ;)

Care to provide a source for that? Otherwise it's meaningless waffle.

If this was true, in that timeline, I'd expect it to already have been leaked to the Indo.

"My cousin's labrador's groomer's second aunt, once removed's, cat's orthodontist's, mistress' fishmonger knows people in FFG and the army will be out to enforce mask wearing at the pubs this weekend. You heard it here first."

Your post reads like that to me.

Nope, he's not right.

Total strawman from Cuddihy. I would doubt that physics nor maths are his strong suit.

Large cohort of vulnerable and elderly are going out/going out less at present because of the dangerous maskless slackers.

Attacking the man, not the statement.

"Maskless slackers".

Can you not resort to personal attacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems like they can't, the last few posts have been word for word the same post an anonymous twitter account....

For what it's worth while I'm here, wear a mask or don't, I really don't care, personal responsibility was called for long enough. Whatever choice someone makes to wear one or not is their choice, not my business really.

Is that the level of discourse now? How are these types allowed abuse people not breaking any sort of rule like this?

'dangerous maskless slackers'. Let's break that down.

Dangerous? Wrong. On so many levels. Not disregarding any rules or PH advice.

Maskless? I'll give you that, they are maskless. Well done on that observation.

Slackers? Wrong. The maskless are generally the ones going about their lives, working, keeping businesses going. Not crying from home 'won't somebody wear a mask!!'

So 1/3 there.

That's not the point he was making though is it?

You're claiming that the survey shows a majority wanting a return of mandatory mask wearing. This doesn't square with the empirical evidence which is the point that was made.

As for "slackers" - is it fair then to call mask-wearers "obsessives"? I'll answer that for you - of course not! Petty name-calling has no place in the discussion.

I'll continue to say it - wear your mask if you wish, but you have no entitlement to expect anyone else to feel/act the same as you do. People should and will do what is right for them. It's as sinmple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thats not what they're saying

It seems contrary to the facts and the current statements

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If your going to post waffle at least tell us when the emergency powers are being voted through the Dail ?

You know the one's that would be needed to do any of that, what are your FFG friends saying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Name calling and insults appear to be allowed here if from one side of the argument it would appear.

Keep reporting, that's what I have been doing. The extremists are the ones calling for restrictions at this point in time and need to be deplatformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Oh dear, Seanie's arguments are merely copy and paste jobs 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Had an inkling this might happen with the pressure on

Terrible timing if true when we're almost out of it

Will set a precedent for backtracking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Donnally today has been quoted as saying the advice he has received is that no new restrictions need to be implemented. I suspect you might be waffling

Advertisement