Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Video Game Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I must sound like an old man now, lol, but wrestling games peaked on the Nintendo 64. That's not to say there was not any good wrestling games after that but the highest peak like, the best of the best wrestling games were the likes of WCW NWO Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy.

I also have a soft spot for WCW vs the World on the ps1. Man, some game.

Because I was huge fan of the N64 wrestling games, I was never a huge fan of Smackdown 1-3. Always felt the N64 games were far superior even though the Smackdown games had so many more match types. Smackdown Shut your mouth and Here comes the pain were great though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Here Comes the Pain was the peak for me, best difficulty and mechanics

I have a theory, which is what cactus was saying above, but did you play the n64 games back in the day before here comes the pain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hehe, well spotted. nope didn't have an N64

• Advertisement

Anyone get the early version of WWE 2k22? I've watched some people streaming it and I have to say the gameplay does look fun. I thought the combo system would be messy but seems to flow quite well. Delighted that the limited amount of reversals thing is gone. Hated that system.

Might pick it up when it goes cheap in a few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah picked it up because young lad was bugging me about getting it, twill be his first game. gameplay is a lot better than 20 which was a broken mess of a game. Matches definitely 'flow' a lot better and I've not noticed any feet through ropes etc.. yet. Though there was one bug where Roman Reigns was running to the ropes to bounce off for his low dropkick, he just kept running as it glitched obviously. Thought I was going to have to reset but game just sort of jerked it back into the gameplay after about 30 secs or so which was kinda cool (bug aside).

Haven't tried all the modes yet but had a go at MyGM last night, it's one I'd probably just play with a mate (you can play it 2 player) as it gets super repetitive after a bit.

MyRise is ok in the PC - I think I may have made a wrong decision and jumped to Smackdown too early but I'm less impressed with it once you hit the big leagues, it becomes more generic rather than less so somehow.

Haven't tried Showcase or Universe mode yet.

I think Smyths might be selling the base game early (not supposed to be released until Friday) because it's available for click and collect on their website, incase anyone is looking for it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arthur Fent

Post edited by Arthur Fent on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Enjoying 2K22 but the MyGM mode must have been developed by a Vince Russo type head. Ratings poor unless you're putting on gimmick matches constantly. 😂

Yeah it's daft. And even on easy you can have a Reigns and Lesnar match outperformed by Timothy Thatcher and Dexter Lumis because you don't have the rivalry developed. In a way I like it but the match types are so bloody limited it gets repetitive after a while. I do like MyRise though and the Showcase is ok. Haven't touched myFaction as I'm not into that mode or the micro transactions stuff at all.

Seriously man I got out rated by a Chad Gable vs montez ford match when I had a stomper between Walter and drew McIntyre. It is definitely daft.

Curious by the my faction mode what's involved there?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jo187

Really enjoying my gm mode. It is limited but hopefully next year they will beef it up. I probley get few weeks out of GM mode. Still have showcase mode and my rise, so far gotten my money's worth out of it.

Hopefully it's a hit and they get more money put into it and expand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I haven't bought it but I have see some community creations on YouTube.

It amazing how detailed you can be to make your CAW look authentic.

I remember the days when you search a forum to find a formula for a CAW.

Anyone ever play Power Move Pro Wrestling on the ps1? Randomly popped in to my head reading this thread.

I liked it. It was the first 3d Pro wrestling game on the ps1 as wwf wrestlemania arcade and in your house where that mortal kombat style digitised wrestlers.

It took me years to learn it was just a reskin of an njpw ps1 game localised for the west.

Universe is disappointingly it's usual self. Broke up a tag team, won the tag team titles with someone else, then the next week I'm tagging with former partner against my co tag team champion. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Seems to me that is following WWE logic to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arthur Fent

I friggin' loved this back in the day. Think it's still in the attic somewhere !

They patched 2K22 yesterday with a massive update including the NXT 2.0 arena, updated entrances for a few stars and, what I didn't expect to be added until the next game - tag titles for MyGM mode as well. First DLC pack drops on 26th April as well with Umaga, Rikishi and Yokozuna among the characters to be added.

• Advertisement

More info on the AEW console game

AEW look set to enter the console videogame market with the upcoming release of AEW: Fight Forever. Whilst an official release date is yet to be revealed, tentative plans slate the game to be arriving at some point this year.

Following the revelation of the game’s official title over the past few weeks, Fightful have now provided an update on the development process for the game, with Kenny Omega’s involvement said to be a crucial part of securing a top developer.

“We’ve heard Omega has gone “above and beyond” and stretched far to make sure he can be of help in any way possible to the game, and the time off from the ring has helped provide that. We’ve also been told that AEW music producer Mikey Rukus had to put in a ton of work for the game. Omega was a huge part in getting Hideyuki “Geta” Iwashita onboard, who was the director of WWF No Mercy. We’re told by those involved that the push to get Geta was a very smart one, and that his contributions have been valuable.”

-Fightful Select

WWF No Mercy is widely regarded amongst fans of wrestling videogames as one of the best of all time in its genre, and thus this news of Geta’s involvement is sure to excite those familiar with the title.

Fightful additionally commented on the expected roster size for the game, noting that some unfortunate omissions are likely, potentially due to the frequent number of signings AEW have made since the game’s inception. They note that the current roster size sits at around 50 playable stars, and with this update from Fightful, the list of the confirmed playable characters for AEW: Fight Forever goes as follows: Kenny Omega, Chris Jericho, Hikaru Shida, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy, Owen Hart, Sting, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, and Ruby Soho.

Dowloadable content has also been considered according to Fightful, possibly as a means to including some of those that will be omitted from the initial release.

“We’ve been told there’s still a lot of work to be done on polishing the game up, especially character models. There has been downloadable content pitched and discussed, but we don’t have it confirmed as of yet. There’s a lot of online work to be done still, which is common at this stage for a game.”

-Fightful Select

Closing, Fightful also briefly touched upon the reported involvement of THQ Nordic, who worked on a number of WWE titles over recent years before 2K took over the WWE videogame series. They note that whilst they have heard that the company are involved, it is only in a minimal role as of right now.

50 playable stars seems low - mind you it means there won't be 75 different versions of the same wrestler ala Undertaker/Rey Mysterio in WWE2K22.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays given it's been in development for a good while now.

Fire Pro World is €15 on PS store until tomorrow.

Gave it a blast, couldn't get thr hang of it but will bust it out some more over next few weeks!

Bought it myself a year or two back on playstation and just couldn't get into it. Matches go on way too long and the gameplay just never clicked with me. A lot of people seem to love it though so hopefully you might like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fire pro is grand if you get the hang of the controls, the main appeal seems to be in the creation mode and running Sims, I do like that I can throw it on, have one ridiculous 20 minute match and turn it off again.

Yeah the controls seem a bit mad and can't find any decent info online on how to play! Looks like it is good craic once you get the hang of it!

More on the AEW console game

As reported earlier this month by Sports Gamers Online, the upcoming AEW game ‘Fight Forever’ is set to have a number of limitations, stemming from behind the scenes development issues.

SGO have now provided yet another update on AEW’s debut console videogame, stating that these limitations are likely to result in a simplified creation suite, alongside gameplay akin to early 2000s wrestling games.

“Not having a suite as deep as other sports titles shouldn’t be that surprising. Having the ability to create championships, arenas, shows, and more was nothing that should’ve been anticipated for the first game. However, the limitations are going to be felt in other areas of the suite which can be viewed as either a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. SGO was told that movesets in general will be limited “akin to an early 2000s wrestling game” while customization options for wrestlers will leave people wishing they had more.”

-SGO

Another area of the AEW game that SGO believe will be relatively limited when compared to fan expectations is the inclusion of licenced theme music, with SGO citing budgeting problems for some themes not making the cut.

“Regarding the game’s music, one source said don’t expect all of the licensed music that wrestlers have for their entrance themes to make it into the game. One said, “there’s a reason they are showing only wrestlers with themes created specifically for AEW in their previews”.”

-SGO

In terms of entrances, SGO claimed that they have been unable to confirm whether full entrances will feature in the game, with trailers up to this point only displaying tunnel views.

Whilst SGO’s updates thus far have been far from positive, they noted that many behind the scenes remain adamant that the movesets available will allow the game to be accessible for all types of players.

Closing, SGO confirmed that AEW Fight Forever’s story mode will be the primary focus of the game, with Kenny Omega’s involvement a key factor in ensuring repayability.

“Sources also say the game’s story mode is a major focus because it will be the primary option for players. Branching storylines and making sure decisions and results impact the direction it goes was a major sticking point from the beginning. The ability for players to replay the mode is something that Kenny Omega has wanted for the game day one and that mindset never waivered.”

-SGO

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jo187

If anyone remembered the old TNA game it was bare bones but a good foundation to build more onto it with follow up instalments. Sadly it never got past the first one.

It's more common now for games to be released and stuf added with updates over time. So the aew game is limited at first but a good foundation they can add more over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement