Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

So you meet any royalty from any country in the world, and you wouldn't address them by their title?

Jesus that's just downright rude.

Well doctors, police etc are not elected, but eotr has no issue addressing them by their title

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Lots of foreign royals and dignitaries were at the memorial for Prince Philip today. Extremely tight security so Harry's reason blaming he wouldn't be safe doesn't count for much.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I think William and Kate do a great job but the optics of her in a constant parade of expensive clothes is a bit OTT, especially given the recent hike in cost of living in the UK. The other European royals are much more low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Really? It’s the outfits that make her special I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

Wouldn't be bothered about what she wears. But I can't help notice, how unhealthily thin she looks. Gives the impression she barely eats. And in the modern world of social media and influencers, what message does it send to young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I read somewhere a while ago she's not wearing always expensive clothing, she's mixing depending on the event or outing. for example she sometimes wears usual H&M (pardon the pun☺️) clothing to buy for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Whatever the latest euphenism, reparation, redress, it’s a cash grab.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes, given the struggles of many of their people she would be wise to dial down the designer stuff. Now she does often mix in high street clothes, and she's been known to re-wear some but she probably does need to be more careful than ever about the optics and maybe recycle a lot more than she does.

It's odd that on the recent tour that the wardrobe plan didn't factor in local designers as an economy boost - it might have countered some of the online critisism. Rather the plan seemed to have been to evoke nostalgia of the Queen's original visit as a way to remind everyone she'll be Queen Consort one day probably.

It's surprising because normally they get it spot on.

• Advertisement

It was a hard gig to get “right” in fairness. With the almost inevitable break from royal governance on the way in those countries, you’d wonder why the trip took place at all. The dressing up in full military regalia in the jeep was probably the most insensitive picture of the trip as it just screamed colonialism - but we’re in great times of change; it wasn’t that long ago that such pictures were accepted as the norm on such trips. Now everyone’s all about “white privilege” and cancel culture and restitution for things that happened 200 years ago, they didn’t really have a chance. And I wonder whether outside of England, will such trips will ever be the same again?

The queen might still get away with it given the respect she’s had in the past (obviously she’s in no state to travel) but when Charles comes along, he’d better be taking some notes on how Williams trip has gone and take stock of his future role and image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

^^^^^^^^

OTH, how many African/Asian leaders come out with full military regalia or Savile Row styled suits? Your regular punter loves that crap, laps it up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

@[Deleted User] apparently the military sh!t show that was laid on are the kind of arrangements that's entirely down to the host nation and the Royals get very little say. If that is the case then it probably highlights that the local government are out of touch with their own people.

The whole nostalgia angle harking back to the Queen's visit was probably a nice idea on paper but it was a risky theme that I don't think paid off this time around. They would have been better to go in with a modern day approach, be more down to earth and normal and not remind everyone of the close historical links between royalty and colonialism. A few locally made sundresses could have changed the whole vibe of the trip.

They DID- but do they now, I think is the question. Royalty is associated with pomp and ceremony absolutely. But the media certainly are now contrasting this “lifestyle” with global suffering, poverty etc We know that royalty is entrenched with charities and highlighting issues- that’s hasn’t changed but maybe it’s beginning to look “old hat” and just like religious people, society is probably getting fed up being lectured to by white privileged people dressed up in fancy dress. I think that’s what might be happening now. That and the former colonies asking why can’t we be independent and have our state head as someone we can relate to?

Maybe the commonwealth hasn’t brought them the advantages they wish for?

Yes. Had read about that too, about being a locally organised event- apparently the military were dead proud of that Land Rover and indeed it looked well.

I dunno about your other point though- there’s a rising dissatisfaction in these commonwealth countries with Royalty as head of state or British control or whatever the link is- token gestures used to be graciously accepted but I think even those would have merited ridicule too- I just think we and they are living in greatly different times- were all more connected via social media- poor countries can see what rich countries have, and they’re not happy, and I wouldn’t blame them.

I don’t think a white military uniform and a fancy wave means anything anymore and in fact it’s now seen as offensive and from a different time and world- and I’d be inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bluebell woods

How is that I’m so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

So. Sorry now if i've got this article all wrong but purely from the headline, I'm interpreting this as: Harry and Megan have a pre-disposition towards their media sponsors, such as Netflix, and because, I'd imagine, the Royal family didn't give permission to Netflix to film both of them at Prince Phillips memorial service....that they didn't go!

But yet, they're willing to go, be filmed, and what not, at the Invictus Games, in Holland-because Netflix are there.

Have I interpreted that correctly?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10701641/Meghan-Markle-join-Prince-Harry-Invictus-Games-Netherlands-week.html

I think you have.

It's really cringeworthy watching Hary 'joking' in that videos. lame jokes also. only managed to watch it a few seconds.

it's a kind of disturbing feeling a person I once liked becoming so much the opposite, just some complete unlikable guy. don't have that very often. but no wonder with all that's happening and been said from him.

• Advertisement

He who pays the piper calls the tune. They have to do as Netflix say. They got lots of publicity by NOT going to Philips memorial. They’re cashing in on that by both young to the Invictus Games. Using a charity shamelessly for self promotion.

disgusting, yes. same style as they did at this veteran event...maybe they don't even have to sneek in the cameras or hide them under jumpers at this one as he's the chairman or however to call it. they are beyond embarrassement, no words anymore for it.

and who's interested if they are attending this event or not? all respect for the handicapped people but how can one make a netflix documentary about it? I honestly don't think there's one 'netflixy' person interested in it.

I wondered that too - how he became so unlikeable and I just feel that the general opinion that Meghan changed him is misguided.

What I believe is actually the case is that when he had Palace PR, they did a great job of creating his happy-chappy persona. They would carefully select the right events, curate who would attend, work with the press for flattering copy, and all he had to do was turn up in whatever they suggested he wear and say whatever they suggested he talk about. And if he fcuked up (Vegas for example) well, they also stepped in to wave all that away in a flash. The PR was so good it was barely visible.

Now he's really only got Meghan's PR experience. She learned all about how to manage her image with her career and blog in a way that maximises their profile and therefore financial gain. Nothing wrong with how she does it, it's the standard format for most Hollywood celebrities, but trying to apply that to a royal role and monetise that was never going to be easy for them.

They never wanted to stop being Royal. Their original plan was to go part time and use the royal connections as their USP for the likes of the Netflix and Spotify deals. Part of that plan would have been letting Netflix or the likes in behind the scenes at royal events, or in the private spaces of the family. The Queen pulled the rug out from under them on that one though and they just aren't that interesting notional royals.

There's not been all that many big events since covid but it's clear that they aren't on the guest lists for the ones that are. They weren't invited to Obama's birthday, no award shows attendances and it's reported that they didn't get an invite to the big Beckham wedding extravaganza either. William and Catherine did, but declined to attend. (wise move on their part after the disastrous Caribbean tour) but that's bound to have stung H&M, but maybe they expected the snub if the rumours are true about Meghan accusing Victoria Beckham of leaking stories to the press a few years back. If they were still in the Royal family they would have been top of the list, but I think that the Oprah tell-all made them pariahs.

"If they were still in the Royal family they would have been top of the list, but I think that the Oprah tell-all made them pariahs."

Totally agree. But I think it made them pariahs among Harry's natural netwrok (which would incl the Obamas) but not necessarily Meghan's which is more low brow celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The problem with that couple, in public perception terms, is that they are not particularly noted for their accomplishments.

Notoriety came to them by default, so that their break with the Royal family, and the dishing of dirt on it is bound to transform their attempt at self fulfillment through philanthropic spins into an inevitable series of pratfalls.

This happens with people who have notoriety via diverse sets of talents and accomplishments. Will Smith is probably considering sleeping pills at this point if he hasn’t gone totally crazy at his home gym. I certainly don’t want to bear bad tidings, but I wish that there wasn’t an army of sycophantic courtiers to approve H&M’s every move, so they could bow gracefully out of the limelight, and not be the worst for it.

It says a lot that Elton didn't invite them to his Oscar party despite speaking out on their behalf before. Speaking so freely on the Oprah programme ruined any future connections that they might have made.

Elton J likely felt some sort of elder statesman type responsibility to be publicy supportive of Harry due to his connections with Diana, and likely he initially believed their victim narrative. But given that they have been outed as being complete liars and selfserving, he is keen to distance himself from them. And this is the problem thry have. The did have sympathy from alot of people as its entirely plausible the living in the bubble of the RF is very opressive, they pointed the finger at senior royals, lied, and generally whinged about their position of utter priviledge and lost all the good will they had. As the years go on they really dont have the talent to generate any interest in themselves beyond their royal connections.

I missed that snippet - that's a pretty glaring omission.

The way I see it is, if you were a famous, loaded celebrity millionaire you've cultivated your friends and acquaintances over the years down to the kind of people who you can trust in your inner circle to never divulge what goes on to the public. H&M have demonstrated that they will literally, sell out their own granny or anyone else in their family for gain and don't really care how accurate what they are saying actually is as long as it garners them publicity or sympathy.

So fellow celebrities aren't going to touch those two any time soon.

I'm sure that the really rich and famous have secrets that they don't want the public to know and M and H have loose lips!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree.

Another element that may be playing into the lack of invitations, is that a lot of well known people probably still respect the queen and as a result will not be seen to hobnob with Harry and Meghan, after all the shenanigans especially with the appearance on Oprah. I remember when the Obamas, for example, visited the UK, there was a lot about how the queen and Michelle Obama were genuinely taken with one another.

In relation to Harry and likeability, yes, I agree re the palace PR. He was also more carefree back then. If you see photos of when he used to hang around with William and Kate, or indeed appearances of his own, he was generally happy and relaxed looking. You can see the change in him, almost as soon as he and Meghan got engaged. And that is not me saying it's because of her or anything. He is a grown man, responsible for his own actions.

It almost goes without saying that neither of them did themselves any favours with the media but I think it's also fair to say that some elements of the English media were determined to find fault with her from the beginning. Hands in pockets of dress in photo, tut tut. Queen in a similar pose, aww bless. Likewise, she was touching her bump too much, apparently... Kate doing the same thing, aww, how cute etc. I am guessing that if he had listened to advisors on how to handle the media, from the get go, he would be in a much better position, overall.

On their final appearance with the rest of the family, before they left for good, he looks really tense and unhappy. She smiles all the way through but then again she is an actress. The tales they told to Oprah - so many were easily discounted that they now have very little credibility with anyone. And there's an element of discomfort about anyone washing their dirty linen in public. The rich and famous as pp have said probably do not want to risk being in their company. Not to mention the fact that they could find themselves and their secrets being used as fodder for Netflix by Harry and Meghan.

Advertisement