Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jumpinsheep

What I meant, is that in my view, the builder should have been granted permission to build there, with 2 conditions: A) mandatory to build the underground metro box at builder's expense (so no need to knock down new buildings at a later stage, etc.) B) be reimbursed of such metro box construction, only if the metro project is completed; so public funds are preserved in the interim and spent only when there is a tangible result.

Considering that it's central area, relatively close to Grand Canal and with the Luas station right next to it, it is an appealing location to build on my opinion. I'm confident that a builder company with deep pockets, could have afforded the risk of spending 12.5M € for the box, with a view of being reimbursed in a number of years (ideally). However, if one consider that the metro project is in the making from decades to date, the risk of not being reimbursed is obviously very high, and that would have probably put off most builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

It wasn't even a full box it was just a retaining wall so a box could be built in future. Still a waste of money now though.

I'm unsure as well whether it was a full station box there as well; my point is that the money spent few years ago, is again 12M € ... which are wasted money due to the new ML route alignment (which I won't comment further, as I think there are many previous posts about it {like for Tara and Glasnevin, to mention a couple}, and we're now at a stage well beyond the ML route alignment, and what it was with MN).

In one of the latest tweet from Dublin Commuter Coalition, they say Gov will likely approve ML in about two weeks, and go to ABP in two months; wonder where they got that timeline from, we shall anyway see, as the latest update from ML was indeed that the project should go to ABP by Q2 2022.

Not sure which public spending rules the Gov used, to decide to reimburse the metro box at Charlemont before the relevant ML approvals (at least with the box at the Mater Hospital, MN was approval by ABP), but that considered, then why not compensate those affected by CPO in due course as well? It should help increase the chances of ML being successfully built. Gov mentioned about the need of being careful with spending for this project, that ML won't be like the Children's Hospital... we shall see

Post edited by jumpinsheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The developer would immediately challenge the legality of such conditions and I'm sure they would win. If the government want such works done, they have to pay for it. This is not like reinstating the public footpath when the project is finished. The planning system is not a tool for the government to get others to do their work for them. Potential reimbursement means nothing, you can't impose a risk on someone for something they have absolutely no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brosna1999

Does anyone have an update on the Preliminary Business Case approval? I though it was supposed to be done by Q1 2022 but that only leaves less than a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It definitely won't be in the next week, I can tell you that.

The most important milestone now is the railway order submission which should hopefully be be in May. The business case approval is necessary but I don't think a week or two in April is a big deal as long as it happens before TII are ready to submit to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This would be an unconstitutional impingement on property rights so no, that's never going to happen

It's also an utterly insane idea.

@Pete_Cavan and @L1011 - I'm aware my comment on Charlemont metro box and construction was something improbable in any case, but as millions of public funds been wasted before with MN, one wonders what the criteria are for public spending and whether it was/is possible to minimise such expenditure, considering the lack of proper approvals at this time.

As @Peregrine mentioned, let's see if the project reaches ABP in May.

But doing that work now while a construction is happening on a new building overhead is to minimise public expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The only sub-way I am aware of is New York... That's what we should have done 40 years ago after we finished the Tube for the brits... If we were able to bail out the banks we should be able to do... Solve everything including climate change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

Really there were only two options available to the NTA and DCC with this enabling work.

1. The NTA pay the developer to cover the costs of the enabling work in advance of the metro application
    2. The NTA asks DCC to reject the planning application and sterilise the land for future metro development. Something like this is done all of the time for roads projects across the country

The NTA seem to have opted for the approach of paying the developer. I suspect because their plans for this area are far enough advanced that they have a good understanding for what they need. Delaying the development is probably the best for the public purse. I'm not sure why they picked that option though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

On option two, the NTA has seemingly backed away from reserving land for future projects, as they've lifted the reservation on lands around Pearse Station, earmarked for a future Dart Underground Station/entrance. Personally, I think we'll regret this in years to come, but I guess the NTA and the government are making the assumption that we'll all be dead and buried by the time DU is back on the cards 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

A judge lifted the reservation on lands around Pearse Station, earmarked for a future DU. It has already been established that they can't sterilise land for indefinite periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The benefits of an interchange at Glasnevin over one at Drumcondra are marginal, but I guess finding a justification to ditch the well developed plans for Metro North in order to extend the timeline for completion necessitated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Glasnevin has a significant advantage over Drumcondra in that it will serve the lines to and from Docklands and the line to/from Connolly.

With a significant increase in Maynooth line services planned to serve Docklands instead of Connolly (and bypassing Drumcondra as a result, which will be continue to be served by DART to/from Hazelhatch) under DART+, then I’d suggest the benefit of intersecting at Glasnevin is a hell of a lot more than “marginal”.

It is most likely that trains via Drumcondra will be able to terminate at the new Spencer Dock station when it is built, given that the track configuration in that part of town to facilitate such a service was already part of NTA consultations on Dart Plus. Serving the Newcomen line wasn't worth the the delay to delivering a Metro for north Dublin, or the sunk cost created by sacrificing the need for the retaining wall at the Mater in my opinion. Newcomen will remain an underutilised line even after all the railway projects are completed because there's no additional stations planned for it and it has a much smaller catchment area compared to the Drumcondra line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Due to having to cross at grade at Glasnevin it is not likely that trains will be switching lines there to the degree you think they will be, as every train crossing from one line to the other eats up a path.

Both lines are going to be used to a significant degree.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Metro North envisaged serving the Maynooth line at Drumcondra and the Kildare line at SSG. The latter required the construction of DART Underground, which when MN was planned was expected but not anymore. Therefore if MN was built today, it would have no interaction with the SW line and very poor integration with the existing DART system.

The new alignment isn’t just about Glasnevin, it’s also about Tara. That’s a massively important interchange in a DU-less world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

The MN delay wasn't caused by someone thinking "wait a minute we need to change our metro plans in order to allow interchange at Glasnevin" - it was because the country had just gone bust requiring the IMF to step in to keep the lights on. Let's not pretend that the country was in any position to proceed with the MN plan at the time.

The MN alignment was embarrassingly poor in terms of integration with just a single heavy rail interchange at Drumcondra - at the time serving fewer than 2 trains per hour during the week. This reflected the old NTA philosophy that "IE are our competitors so let's deliberately avoid existing rail infrastructure". Even the Drumcondra station was only added later - the initial MN proposal had ZERO integration with heavy rail but they were forced to add a stop at Drumcondra after public consultation.

ML blows it out of the water in the way it offers interchanges with three key heavy rail lines. With a single change, passengers have direct access to every coastal DART station, all Maynooth suburban (soon to be DART) stations and Kildare suburban (also soon to be DART) stations. It's not just a technical change (moving Drumcondra to Glasnevin), it's a complete change in mindset/philosophy with the idea of creating an actual network instead of an almost completely detached single line.

The difference this makes to the utility of the system should not be understated. From every existing DART or DART+ station you will be able to get to the airport or Stephen's Green with a single change and visa-versa. MN was daft in this regard - build a massively expensive modern metro line serving the airport which is only accessible to those along a narrow corridor.

That's before you consider the deranged parts of the plan like the MN O'Connell Bridge stop. ML, even in its truncated form is so superior in every regard that it barely makes sense to compare them.

• Advertisement

Frankly, the superior option is the one we'd be riding on today rather than waiting on until 2035+. The marginal benefits of the current metro are not worth the much larger lead times on this project - it was a mistake not to proceed with MN and the city is suffering for it today. There was no attempt to salvage any of the work that went into that project or to tweak it so that we weren't left with this current state of affairs.

There was never any need to re-invent the wheel with a Metro for Dublin - god knows the city's planners have done that enough already and that's why we've been talking about a metro for the city for 35+ years instead of building it. And to say that Metrolink offers far more interchange options is a complete fallacy, the location of MN's O'Connell Bridge stop would put it as a de-facto interchange with Tara Street, in addition to the interchange at Drumcondra (which, whether the NTA wanted it or not, was part of the final plans). There isn't going to be any more of a network effect as a result of the changes brought about in the Metrolink plans, not that the demand model for MN required any network effect to justify it - point to point journeys would more than deliver on the business case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Right lads, regardless of the pros and cons it’s been repeatedly stated that this is a thread for discussion of MetroLink as planned only. Anyone is more than welcome to start a new thread for discussion of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

If I am correct there was a group years ago called Platform Something who lobbied for the PPT open for commuters and were the first group I can recalled to state that Glasnevin Junction was the natural Metro/DART interchange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Platform 11 - relating to an extra platform at Heuston to facilitate the running of passenger trains through the PPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The residents who live near the Charlemont terminus for Metrolink have been moaning to the IT about the Enabling Works at the new upcoming station outside their doorstep.

They don't really understand that these enabling works are a precursor to the actual station that is being built at Charlemont.

It's there to actually provide a stable stepping stone to try & get on with building the Metrolink station at Charlemont while not interfering with the significant structure of the INBS building that is currently present above the site of the new station in where the enabling works are taking place.

They're are talking about stopping the works at Charlemont because the residents from the area say the works already contributes to have large building hoardings near their homes for several years.

The residents who live there have also set up a website to talk about the new station at Charlemont. The link for it is below. It doesn't contain very much information about the project itself. However it does have letters or submissions published on the site that were made to local politicians who the serve the area.

It's also been reported in Dublin Live that these works at Charlemont are being investigated by the PAC whether they complied with official spending procedures under the public spending code.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

It would make you sick, journalist's thinking they're doing a great service by giving these residents groups column inches.

These NIMBYS are as comical as they are utterly detestable.

To be fair they come across as a bunch of loons and judging by the overall reaction to this article on social media this is how they are being looked upon by most people as being that.

But having said that, the journalist is moron and typical of the halfwits in Irish media today.

Who recalls the wagon with the art gallery on Harcourt Street who stopped the trams on opening day after a two year long campaign claiming the tram was something akin to a Nazi deportation train taking her to a death camp!

The next day this creature was forgotten about and no doubt someone or something else was the new target of her personality disorders. Same will happen with the current freak show on Charlemont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Brosna1999

From the National Sustainable Mobility Policy it says that enabling works tendering is only to commence in 2025 - I thought tendering had already started with works due to to commence in 2024? Has that all gone out the window now?

Advertisement