Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPV vaccine in later life?

Options
  • 28-03-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I see that the pharmacy chain Boots are now offering the HPV vaccine to everyone up to age 45.

I'm a 35-year-old straight male. I have had only a small handful of partners (<5) & have not had any sexual activity in a couple of years now (no particular reason). If the vaccine might still be beneficial to me, I will sign up for it. But if it's going to be of marginal to no benefit, I'm not going to justify spending half a grand on it (3 x doses @ EUR 185 each).

I am interested in hearing from people who have already availed of this service, or got the course of HPV vaccines much later on. In general, do you think it would be worth considering?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi rathfarnhamlad,

I'll leave this thread open for the moment as you may get answers from someone who has opted for the vaccine in later life. We would strongly suggest though that you not take any medical advice from people on the internet, and instead speak to either your GP or pharmacist about your own suitability for the vaccine. Pharmacies now have the space to offer you a private consultation with the pharmacist if you request it.

Posters are reminded to not offer medical advice and we don't want any debate on vaccination/anti-vaccination.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thanks @Big Bag of Chips for you input & outlining the ground rules here.

My reason for starting this thread was to get a general consensus from others in a similar position before I go ahead & book the consultation. At the moment I would say I am about 70 percent leaning in the direction of getting the vaccine, the cost vs. benefit scenario is that I need to look into beforehand. If I could get the vaccine for free or very little cost, I wouldn't be posting on here - I would be on the phone to my local Boots branch asking when they could fit me in.

I have no concerns about about side effects. I have had all 3 doses of my Covid-19 vaccine, I have my Hep. A & B courses done a while back, I get my Tetanus vaccine updated every 10 years plus as a kid I had all of the relevant vaccinations that were recommended at the time. I have never had any side-effect to any vaccine other than maybe a slightly sore arm for a couple of hours. So any anti-vaxxer is going to have a tough time getting through to me.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to what others have to say & hearing good, valuable information that may be of use...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

No advice. Super glad you asked this as I'm in the same boat. Thanks mods for allowing this.

My only concern so far is effectiveness. I read I'm highly highly likely to already have the virus as pretty much any sexually active person does which is why they went to the kids first.

I like vaccines. Just want to make sure it's useful for my case

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s something I’ve wondered about myself as a 35 year old female. The HSE has changed the procedure for smear tests now where first they check for the presence of HPV. My last smear came back negative for HPV, so I asked my GP if I should consider getting the vaccine. She seemed a bit surprised by the query and basically stated it was up to me, and whether I wanted to spend the money on it. I’m married and monogamous so I haven’t done anything yet as other things were more important so far.

Is there a way of testing for HPV for men? If you already have it, I’m not sure the vaccine would do much. If you haven’t, I’d think it would be worth looking into further as you are bound to have future sexual partners so it may be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought the vaccine was to protect women. Happy to be corrected but I didn't think it had any health benefits for the man. If you get the vaccine then you don't pass HPV on to your female partner.

I'm very in favour of this vaccine. I paid over €500 for my teenage daughter to get it before the government started providing it for free. It can be a life saver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

There are more cancers that can affect women, but as most people are heterosexual then there are obvious advantages to giving men the vaccine too, however men can also get some anal and other cancers from HPV so still worth it.

The main symptom tho would be warts. Anyone can get them.

The vaccine only protects against a subset of HPV variants.

Post edited by km991148 on

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I'm nearly 42 and i started getting the HPV vaccine last christmas.

@mistress_gi How did you find the process in terms of accessing the vaccine/getting your request for it approved?

Were you able to claim back part of the costs on your health insurance plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

So i am getting abroad because i am a dirty foreigner 😂 and it was much cheaper at the time.

At home i just got a prescription from a GP, went to a pharmacy and got the first shot.

I have 2 more to get still, and the same prescription should work. Minimum 3 months between the vaccination. Maximum 1 year to complete the vaccination course (3 shots in total) .

Price wise it works out about the same as the price boots now. I did not try to recoup any money paid for insurance, as far as i know my policy doesn't cover it. I did submit it as health expense in my taxes.

I thought you might be cheaper getting it privately in another country or NI etc. But it seems its roughly the same price.

The NHS gives it for free for certain groups (MSM up to 45 and women mainly), but I don't think there is a similar program for ROI. I suppose you could go to a sexual health clinic up there and declare that you are suddenly bi curious.. but that's a bit scummy stealing from an already crippled health service.

• Advertisement

I have heard seen that regarding the availability in the UK but you're right, that'd be a real d1ck move, I wouldn't do it...

Plus if you aren't into other guys you will need to Invent some interesting stories as they quiz you about sexuality lol

Exactly - I would also end up looking like an idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You could just say you are MSM. If asked just say you are. If they ask questions just give whatever answer to tick the box. We all pay enough tax into the HSE.

At the end of the day the main reason men are given the HPV vaccine is to protect women, because it is primarily men who spread it to women.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If you are non MSM and 35 you can expect an extremely small benefit from this at this stage and in my opinion would not at all be worth spending the money on it at all. There's a reason the state isn't opting to provide the vaccination to people with your profile: the benefits are tiny vs the costs.

Thanks to everyone for your respective inputs.

I will have a think about this & make a decision whether to go for it or not in the coming weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I am 40(M) and have just finished getting the third dose of the HPV vaccine. I am gay and got the vaccine free from my local G.U. clinic in the hospital when I was getting routine STI checks.

Advertisement