Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Friend has had more than a fair go of it (Wilkins too despite being a horrific defense coach till he got the promotion) but it's not worked out overall. An absolute gent, don't me wrong, but maybe he's too nice. There's a lot of players who need a massive kick up the arse, even some who had contract extensions in the past couple of weeks. Friendy isn't the man for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

With seemingly huge turnover in the squad would be best to cut the chord with Friend at the end of the season. Seems like a good guy, has been a part of some good moments and Connacht have made some great signings during his period but the performances this season have been unacceptable.

The league is going to get tougher year on year, it’s important Connacht don’t slip back to the bottom of the table on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Connacht dont have the squad to do both URC top 8 and champions cup together. If they had not qualified for the knock outs they would have enough time off to put out strong teams in the last urc games. Getting leinster in europe was the worst draw, they should have put out a B team against stade and avoided leinster.

Friends legacy will be building squad depth. Not sure if he would resign as it is a very frustrating job i would imagine

Squad depth is definitely an issue but that’s no excuse for some of the performances this season and the inconsistency every season he has been here. Twice in the last few seasons Connacht have allowed an Edinburgh side shorn of ten internationals put around 50 points on them. The hammering away to a mix of Leicester thirds/seconds in the Challenge Cup last season, getting well beaten by Dragons at home at the start of this season, etc etc

There’s multiple performances every season where Connacht are just way below an acceptable standard.

To be fair to Friend, Connacht have made some excellent signings which he has presumably played a large part in given their background esp Porch & Hansen and had some very good moments, beating all three provinces away etc but ultimately it’s time for a new coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'm happy with Friend, this season and next are going to be a challenge with the structure of the draw.

I think we have fought so hard to gain access to the top table in Europe that it's almost impossible to put out understrength teams in Europe without undermining ourselves for the league. I hope that might be an easier decision in the challenge cup.

Imo we are about an 8 th place side who will under perform this year by a couple of places. Loss to Dragons and the travesty of the Munster loss are the 2 results that killed our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's not just Friend though. Wilkins came from a poor Edinburgh at the time and he has shown nothing at all to get signed on. Butler being signed again was a mistake too. He was fantastic the first 2 seasons but has become very ordinary since. He is good at chatting to refs but he doesn't seem to be a good motivator or inspire around him. We lack leaders in the pack and in the backs when Bundee is away which is a lot.

Get Carolan back in the top seat with a defence coach who actually has a decent record. A proper leader needs to be found in the team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love if they had the balls to take a chance on somebody like Mark Jones who's worked under Svott Robertson at Crusaders for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

With Leinster rumoured to be signing Charlie Ngatai and Henshaw out of contract this summer

Possibility of Henshaw going home to Connacht ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It would be fantastic but I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Henshaw is centrally contracted. If he’s not signing, it won’t be Connacht he’s going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Henshaw is from Leinster just to clarify. I know Bucs play in Connacht but the lad is from Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

You've just dropped a nuke there fairplay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Doris is from Connacht just to clarify I know his school was in Dublin but the lad is from Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Friend is contracted until the end of next season. I doubt there is any chance the IRFU will pink slip him before then. This has been a hard season for the fans, and it would be good to see some accountability for that, but i don't know what form that should take.

There are some positions that need to be figured out: TH first among them, we are so exposed there when Finlay is absent - and it has cost us repeatedly. And let's stop all the messing around with back three recruitment.

Jackman has wondered whether the fact that many Connacht players arrive after having been released, or rejected, from their original provincial trajectory, lends itself to a mental fragility which emerges when things go against them. I found this theory a bit trite initially, but the Edinburgh game forced me to consider it more seriously. Next season's influx of senior Leinster players is going to be interesting, because they could, and should, bring a fillip in terms of expectations and ambition, Connacht should build from that.

Every province needs a Johnny Sexton who requires that standards be met. Jack looked like he was going that way early this season, less so of late. I don't see Jared as Captain material at all, too nice, and too inconsistent in his own performances.

One last thing, there are players who know they are going elsewhere next season, and those who probably suspect they won't be getting another contract. If they can't be trusted, or are not putting in the effort, they should be on gardening leave. There have been some very poor performances in this category of late, and they shouldn't continue to be selected for sentimental reasons. I find it disappointing that some appear to take little pride in their work, those minutes would be better spent on the lads in the Academy, especially now that we're playing for pride.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Feels very much like a tipping point for Connacht currently. Covid halted the new stadium momentum, the league is getting tougher, some people seem to have fallen out of the habit of attending games. I don’t track attendances but certainly seems to be less people going to games generally since restrictions were removed than there was in 2019/2020. 40 point hammerings won’t bring back the casual supporters or keep new supporters interested.

In a few years there could be a new top class 12k ground with a competitive team and growing fanbase or it could be the same ground with a new pitch, a bottom of the league team and declining interest.

We also have the most promising batch of youngsters we have had maybe ever with Niall Murray & Cian Prendergast leading the way, the likes of Tierney Martin, Darragh Murray, Oisin McCormack, Cathal Forde & Shane Jennings following quickly. Again can obviously go one of two ways.

The current set up, especially Friend and Wilkins, haven’t delivered the required standard. The next few years are too important for Connacht for the IRFU to baulk at paying the six month salary necessary to allow changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Think some of you guys are being very harsh on friend. First time Connacht have got to a knock out Champions cup, Beat scarlets away for the first time, Beat the bulls and stormers, Beat Ulster something connacht could not do before friend arrived, would have beaten munster twice only for bad ref. Hanson has been with Ireland more then Connacht something you never get with a new signing. Losing to leinster with 14 players is not the end of the world. Friend cant do much when Carty doesnt find touch then Daly gets a red in the following play. Both senior players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

First time Connacht have got to a knock out Champions cup

They aren't in the knockout stages because of anything they did. They're only there because they changed the format so that twice as many teams qualify. They lost 3 from 4. It would have almost been harder not to qualify. In the previous format they'd have come bottom of their group. They're going to get beat by at least 50 points over the 2 legs v Leinster.

Probably not popular opinion but it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Friend isnt being sacked, Wilkins maybe...

Leinster are almost certainly going to batter Connacht but is that Friend's fault? Leinster would batter Munster too in Europe, imo, they are questionably the best side in the league, even their second string side would probably beat most sides.

Connacht can't really compare themselves to Leinster. Leinster, much as it pains me, have a squad that can practically beat the All Blacks.

I'm not convinced Friend is the answer but you need to realistic as to what any coach could achieve with the squad.

To Carty and Daly's, you can add Heff's crooked thow to concede the scrum which would result in Leinster's first try. At that point we're just a maul and a scrum penalty away from a full house of classic Connacht errors.

So yes, senior players, not all Friend's fault by any means. In addition to not believing that the IRFU will break his contract, I also think he should be given next season - he's got a front row seat to the problems, give him an opportunity to fix them.

As regards Europe: we should have won three out of four of our Champions Cup games but... Instead we're in this nightmare with Leinster. A couple of seasons ago we were winning tight games, that's rare of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

On TH I believe jackman said on the 42 podcast that Connacht were in the market for one. Friend then came out and said they were looking for one more signing

I think the point the poster was making stands. Friend doesn’t get much credit for Connacht first time reaching the knockout stages when that involved one win out of four. We have had better campaigns previously but 16 out of 24 teams weren’t reaching the knock out stages then.

Most Connacht posters here are supporters who are at every game I would guess and largely realistic about what any coach could do. What’s well below standard is getting hammered by the Dragons at home, conceding 50 points to Edinburgh seconds (given ten internationals away and few injuries) on two occasions, conceding 50 to Leicester 2nds/3rds etc. Nobody expects to win the league.

The alternative view is that next seasons will be Friend’s fifth in charge. None of these problems are new, maybe they haven’t happened together to the same extent in recent seasons but they have all been there at one point or another. It seems unlikely he will find the answers four years in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't think the squad is weak or that players have checked out. Their is a lack of depth in areas that need addressing. Th obviously and oh. Carty is a good player but he's too inconsistent and seems to lose focus. I can't see him getting chances with the national team.

The good news is there's a glut of new talent. The incoming players from Leinster will be a plus. Loose head should be fairly good. Tight head is weak. Aungier has not really kicked on. It's not like he hasn't had chances. I still think he could be a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yep, exactly this. There doesn't seem to be any indication that things are moving in the right direction.

The guys coming next season are decent - I think Josh Murphy is going to be a great signing - but they're not game changers by any stretch.

The problems have moved around, and many have been solved. Our lacl of squad depth produced a huge problem at second row a couple of years ago, Murray and Dowling have developed. This season the big concern was at LH, Burke has done well and the feared collapse there didn't materialise. Our maul was leaking tries at a disturbing rate, that has mostly been fixed. Now there are new problems, foremost at TH. Existing defensive weakness in the back three has gotten worse, and in the last couple of games the midfield defence by our centres has been very poor. The latter is a somehwat new issue, as Daly had been doing a good job on that front.

Of course, I feel the frustration and a certain despondency. But I'm dubious about quick fixes based on totemic changes in the coaching team. To return to the issue of leadership, we do need an inspirational figure in the front eight. I don't know that will be delivered by the recruitment at TH. Maybe it can come from within, but Connacht need to keep watching the Edinburgh game until they come up with an answer. There needs to be somebody there who ensures that when **** hits the fan, you don't drop the head and take a backward step.

• Advertisement

I meant overall issues rather than positions.

Our defence has been weak for a few seasons now, somehow the coach in charge of the worst aspect of Connacht’s game for the previous two seasons was promoted at the end of last season. Simply doesn’t reflect well.

The last three seasons we have had games we were favourites in or 50:50 at worst due to extremely weakened opposition Edinburgh twice and Leicester away last season, not only lost but taking a hammering and conceding 50ish.

Losing games from very winnable positions, nearly 20 up with 20 to go at home to Leicester this season being the most recent example.

Not performing in games Connacht are clear favourites in, Dragons at home probably the standout example from this season, games away to Cardiff where they were down the guts of 15 to international duty and injury with Connacht having a relatively first choice team in recent seasons.

There’s always talk about learnings or whatever, but there’s very little evidence when these scenarios pop up repeatedly that anyone has learned anything at all.

Advertisement