Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Just had a look - 10 between 19:30 and 20:30, almost all Ryanair.

That's probably around 1500 passengers. Shouldn't be a big deal if security is properly staffed, but.....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

DAA have stopped selling Fast Tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Fast track is still open, but hours are horribly limited in T2

Reads as legal cover to protect against legal action as the DAA have demonstrated they are unable to provide the service (so Sales and Supply of Goods and Services 1980...), so easy court case for a frustrated passenger

I don't think they would be able to close it as a lot of people will have already paid for the service.

I pay for it as a matter of course when flying Ryanair – I have one for a Sunday afternoon in mid-April.

• Advertisement

Replying to myself here - the DAA website says:

Fast Track Security is open, but only for those who already have a confirmed booking. We are temporarily not taking any new bookings. We apologise for this inconvenience. For more information, please email travelservices@dublinairport.com

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

All existing fast track bookings will be honoured (despite no guarantee you'll get through security any faster) but no new passes will be sold.

I'm flying next week to AMS so have been following this news story about the unprecedented delays. The DUB app mostly gives wait times of 10 to 30 minutes so I'm curious as to when this is an issue. Are the delays reported only happening less than 10% of the day or between certain hours or days or is it just simple social media hype by passengers who turned up an hour before their flight? I'd hate to have to turn up 3.5 hours early for a 90 minute flight only to waltz through security in 5 minutes and twiddle my thumbs for 3 hours unnecessarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes, I had to go through fast track on 16th March, I would have missed my flight to Newcastle at 09.45.

God knows what its like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Quags

I was in the airport on Sat at about 1pm and the wait time was around 20 mins but a mate of mine was nearly 2 hours waiting on Sunday around 7pm. so its hit & miss with the peak lines

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They hired 50 people at the end of last year.

there is an advertisement on DAA.ie now hiring more.

so that would indicate they are somewhat understaffed.

problem is from the beginning of the hiring process to have someone working would be months.

hiring… advertising, selecting for interviews, interviews, checking references, offers, background checks, Garda vetting

training…various different modules, X-ray, ETD, aviation security, induction…whatever else…

so from putting an advertisement up you’d be months away from having people in situ to work.

Problem is the ASU’s need to staff 24 hours T1 & T2 passenger and staff security as well as the ‘gate post’ security for staff out on the airfield…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Similar situation with me on Saturday at 7.30am in T1.18 minutes to be exact so not quick but fair enough. Only half the queues in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes I know that airport authorities like people showing up early. It leads to a smoother less rushed all round process plus the punters are buying stuff at the airport while they wait around.

We've got a lot better at turning up early but there are still a fair few of us who think they can just turn up within the hour of the departure and expect just to sail through. Ryanair don't take any prisoners and even Aer Lingus aren't just going to hang around, although I have found them more tolerant of late comers to the Gate.

That said, this does appear unprecedented. I'd rather be sitting at the Gate reading a book 2 hours beforehand than having a nervous breakdown queuing outside with 400 other equally fraught travelers.

I’ve been that way since the whole security situation post 9/11.

I’ve a three hour rule.. flight at 4pm… im there at 1pm etc….

not stressed.

, a little time to shop, eat, drink and stroll to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

The problem is with everyone being urged to show up 3 hours early are they going to do away with the natural spread of people arriving? And accidentally cause serious bunching?

We've a flight Saturday at noon so it should be okay from comments above. Does anyone know if the Times on their app are accurate? Currently stating 15 minutes for both T1/T2.

The wages they're offering for staff are very very low, not much better than minimum wage plus only guaranteed 20 hours but must be available for 40 hours - €14.14 per hour - and they're surprised they can't get staff?

Seems DAA are having a serious issue restoring services in catering too. Reports that Cork Airport has picked up to pretty good volumes of passengers but all fancy food halls, coffee places etc are still closed.

It looks like they or their outsourcers are paying unrealistically low wages into a tightening employment market with rising costs.

It’s the same in hospitality / food services. Twice over the weekend in Dublin and in Cork I saw cafes etc with signs up apologising for being closed on Sunday due to staffing issues / staff shortages and there are a number of places still running short weeks as they can’t get waiting staff.

I think we are seeing a lot of issues coming to a head: accommodation is too expensive, a lot of people from continental Europe went home during COVID / lockdown and didn’t return (also links to housing). That’s tightened the employment market. I suspect a lot of people also aren’t rushing to take low paid, customer facing jobs too - risks involved that weren’t there before etc. Then add increasingly steep inflation to the mix …

I think Ireland is going to get seriously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The actual DAA twitter account this morning.

I can only assume this was someone in the midst of their notice period, but I haven't laughed as much in ages. The Ultra-Con outrage only made it funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Give that person a promotion!

For quite some time after reopening, Cork had no lounge and neither of the restaurants were open - just a coffee dock which was permanently mobbed. Even now, the restaurants aren't open full time - there are many hours of the day where you can't get any hot food post security... we won't count the lounge as its offering was only alright.

• Possibly because they know people’s batteries are very likely to run flat with the extra security wait? They might have had cases of batteries running flat at point of boarding and denied boarding as a result. If possible I always try and make a printed copy, just in case.

• Maybe they are keeping it for likes if AerClub & Business Ckass bookings etc, as they have those extra obligations to fulfil.

• I have seen lots of cheeky DAA tweets in recent times. Something is up with the morale there or a disgruntled ex staff member or indeed someone else has hacked the account

• Advertisement

• You are absolutely right. Services of all kinds are getting interrupted due to lack of staff; result of poor wages & Covid, & disorganisation in recruiting. Even a percentage of the recruiters are absent from work.

Was on a group trip to Romania before Christmas and the general consensus among fellow travellers, whose first time it was to the country, why the hell would Romanians prefer to work in Ireland when they have world class facilities in their own country, eg a shopping centre like you might find in Dubai, shiny filling stations with first class bakeries and facilities to relax and shop, & stunning scenery. A lot of people have earned enough to put a deposit on a very nice home in their own country. Bit like the Irish who went to Middle East to earn enough to put on a house back home during the era of the “Sally O’Brien” ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Clearly not hacked, the tweet remains and is intertwined with normal announcements and responses.

Ballsy, but hilarious.

Would never have happened in Siobhan O'Donnell's day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's what stood out to me; would you be holed doing airport security for 14 quid an hour with (a) the abuse you have to deal with and (b) the general cost of commuting to the airport. It should be a 20 quid an hour job, then they'd have no problem filling it. Definitely been a tough 2 years for the DAA but they shouldn't have many excuses for this, it wasn't exactly a secret that demand for travel would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Yeah I was shocked at that, more so the whole only 20 hours guaranteed on top of that but having to be available for 40!

That’s lousy money for that kind of job in this market. It’s a serious role with a lot of responsibility and serious customer interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Security in DUB always seems to pull an unusually high % of bags for pointless further inspection. Its no real harm when theres no queue, but I'd hope when the queue is hitting 30min+ they'd show some common sense and reassign the staff from doing that to open more lanes.

That and yeah, they really need to raise wages and guarantee more than 20 hours. Why would anyone sign up to a job that requires them to be available 40+ hours a week, work unsociable late/very early shifts, and only pays 20hrs x €14.14 an hour. Thats a princely sum of €283 a week minus the costs of getting to work.

Yeah it’s pathetic… that 14.14 an hour… inclusive of shift pay..according to the DAA.. https://www.daa.ie/job-listings/airport-search-unit-dublin-airport/

29,952 per year basic… a busy job, serious responsibility, seriously shîte money.

• I had been booked on a new route out of Dublin, to the beautiful town of Lübeck in northern Germany. A full service airline, Lübeck Air, with 23kg luggage allowance and inflight meal & drinks, landing at a no-fuss tiny regional airport, was really looking forward to a nice easy city break in a very historic place without queues etc at local airport on return. Alas they sent me an email to inform me of refund of fare as DAA had refused to license the route. I was puzzled, but obviously they were refusing to add to the air traffic as Dublin Airport couldn’t cope with the human traffic. A new 3 times per week route by Aurigny to Guernsey has been delayed going into operation. It’s a lovely place for a spring break. These airlines had applied long ago for their routes, so it isn’t that DAA couldn’t predict the likely traffic.

• The pulling aside of bags for further inspection is, I believe, may be partly in response to the software package which flags potentially “suspicious items”. I’m guessing it may be overly sensitive compared to software/settings used at many other airports. Of course, for decades back software has been used to put false suspicious shapes (eg gun shape) which the operator has to click on; ok if it disappears, if it doesn’t luggage must be opened for inspection. It is implemented to keep staff alert and motivated. I would love to know about the settings used at Dublin Airport in comparison to others, but that’s not a secret likely to be revealed.

One thing I have observed in my travels through very small airports, some of these have been used for security staff training purposes, eg Newquay in Cornwall. Don’t know what it’s like now but at one time they opened every single checked-in luggage and called each passenger in a queue to account for items. It was infuriating, made it a miserable little airport to use on departure for that and a few other reasons. One man beside me had his leg gage opened in front of me, was full of colostomy bags with a horrible aul security bint asking “what are these for?” She stepped aside for a moment to get something from her office, and a junior security guy, looking all embarrassed, said “this is all to train me”. I subsequently read that it was serving as a school to train Airport security personnel for other airports in UK as it had few enough flights to pose too much real serious threat whilst offering the ability to go through every passenger with a five tooth comb on every regional/short-haul flight, generally in small aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Looks like, as expected, DAA have managed to drop the ball yet again, and lose the plot. This morning, I get an E-mail from Ryanair to allow 3 and a half hours to get to the gate, which for a 06:35 departure is a serious PAIN. Then, this evening, when I check in on line, as I refuse to pay the extra for reserved seating, I get completely different information, which is saying to allow 2 hours total in the terminal. At that hour of the morning, that's one hell of a difference, and makes a nonsense of all the media nonsense that's going on.

What I'd like to see is the Commision for Aviation regulation introduce a mandatory requirement that DAA update the queue times on some form of on line spreadsheet at least 4 times an hour, with that spreadsheet remaining on line for at least a month so that people can see exactly when the peaks are happening at different times of the day, and on different days, and plan accordingly. The present system (mess) is not a system, it's yet again a shambles, maybe made worse by circumstances that are outside of the control of DAA, but some of what's happening at the moment could and should have been foreseen more clearly by the relevant people in DAA.

As for the chances of the regulator doing anything pro active, the chances of that are probably about the same as snow in August, the track record of pretty much every regulator in this country seems to be something along the lines of "that's not part of our remit".

It will be interesting to see just how bad things are tomorrow morning, I'm not looking forward to it at all, I'm only going because the stupidity of European Money Laundering rules means that I can't present the documents that the bank needs at the branch in Newry, and I have to travel to the branch in the UK in order to open an account for the money relating to the sale of my parent's house. It's going to be a long hard day, even if things do go well.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement