Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I have no idea why you think you can call people “politically naive” on a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well it is politically naïve to say that in this country. The EVIDENCE is all there. If you are ignoring it, it is either because you have an agenda or you are naïve

Last time out, FF said they wouldn't go in with FG or SF...WHAT happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

That is your opinion, and other may have a different opinion.

Yet, I notice that you have posted that if anyone has a different opinion to you, then you consider them to be 'the handwaving away faithful'. Why is that?

Are you trying to shut down discussion so that everyone agrees with you, or are you just trying to insult everyone who does not agree with you? I am not sure which it is, but you have attempted to only leave two option open when in fact they are many other option. I can never understand why posters do this if they want to discuss/debate something.

I don't agree with your opinion, and I am not one of 'the handwaving away faithful' that you refer to.

Any chance you could give us your opinion without the amateur phycology? What do you think happened here?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

It is not my opinion that we are discussing, it is yours. You want to make a meal of this, and you have done your best to criticise and moan about the 'government'.

Having said that, I think that hosting the event would have been great. Not everyone in Government agreed, and now Cork will not be hosting the event. I think it is a pity, but now it is time to move on.

And thanks for the insult (there was no need for that, but I guess that you could not help yourself.) Maybe next time you give your opinion you might manage to do it without throwing insults and name calling.

• Advertisement

So why do you think it was refused?

Coveney was touting that it was worth over 2 billion to anywhere that hosted it. Given that the infrastructure is mostly going to be built anyway the 200 million cost was something FF and FG could have spun at the drop of a hat.

I think it is safe to say that what journalists were reporting after Zapponegate - that Coveney's star has fallen dramatically in government and even in his own FG was the end of this event.

The perils of being embroiled in scandal has cost Cork and the region.

Sorry but you don't seem to have a breeze, trying to drag in Zappone in the comment below proves that

It was clear on the press release the upgrades required couldn't be put in place in time. I expect they will bid again but on a different timeline.

Zappone 😂

Its a huge loss but at least the plan would seem to be put a timeline to the upgrades and bid again

Journalists were reporting last year that the Zappone affair had had an impact. Again, getting yourself embroiled in a damaging scandal were you have to renege on something you tried to do under the counter, has an effect. It would be absolutely naïve to believe otherwise or you are in 'handwave away' mode. I don't think anyone could be that naïve tbh.

An unlikely casualty of the Merriongate controversy is probably going to be an Irish bid to host the America’s Cup in 2024. The idea of staging the yacht race in Cork was closely linked with Simon Coveney, the minister for foreign affairs, whose political stock has been greatly devalued due to the row over his appointment of Katherine Zappone to a UN post. Mr Coveney is no longer in a good position to press the case for Cork,

Critics of America’s Cup pitch steer us away from ambition | Ireland | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

The Government is under pressure from Cork’s business leaders to keep Ireland’s bid for the 2024 America’s Cup yacht race afloat amid fears that the political fallout from the Katherine Zappone affair could derail it.

Cork Chamber, vintners, and hoteliers have urged the Government to commit to spending an estimated €150m to stage the huge global sporting event in and around Cork Harbour ahead of an expected decision from race organisers tomorrow that Ireland is their preferred bidder ahead of Jeddah and Valencia.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney has championed the America’s Cup event being held in Ireland, and played a key role in the bid in June, when a technical team from the event’s organising authority visited Cork City and its harbour for a range of briefings and site assessments.

However, with Mr Coveney facing a vote of no confidence in the Dáil this week arising out of the Zappone affair, the race authorities in New Zealand are closely monitoring the political fallout in Ireland.

'It's ours to lose': Pressure on Ireland not to scuttle its bid to host €500m America’s Cup (irishexaminer.com)

• Advertisement

Hmm...you said it had nothing to do with the Zappone affair - I think media comment says otherwise, but carry on trying to deny it.

In September last year. So the government wasted the last 8 odd months to come out now and say no because they wouldn't have time to build the facilities in Cork. Cop on to yourself for once. Scrambling around all day first off gloating it didn't happen and then trying to make up a story about Coveney. Grasping at straws is 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cork is well used to being let down by the Fine Gael TDs. Didn't Dara Murphy rob us all blind while chasing a European job.

FG’s Dara Murphy: based in Brussels for two years but claiming €4,300 monthly Dáil allowance (irishtimes.com)

Cork North Central TD Dara Murphy has claimed his full parliamentary and travel allowances of €4,300 per month despite not having spoken in the Dáil for almost two years.

Mr Murphy has attended the Dáil on 24 of the 70 sitting days this year. Most of the days he has been present have been Thursdays, the day most votes are cast.

He has the lowest attendance record of all 158 TDs.

However, Mr Murphy has been recorded as being present in Leinster House on 55 non-sitting days – among the highest of all TDs.

Most of these days have been Mondays and Fridays, when he was en route to, or returning from, Brussels or other European cities. The 55 days includes 12 days in August.

I believe Leo asked Dara nicely to return the fraudulent expenses...any luck?😉

New Politics is deep in the trough.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

And here we are again.

So, simple question...after all the publicly available information I have shared with you....Will you be pushing your local FG and FF TD to resurrect the 2015 Public Sector Standards Bill that got shelved even though it promised much needed reform and had broad support in the Dail?

There's a hole in the bucket Dear Blanchy Dear Blanchy. Try to answer this time.

Hi BA, the news media was predicting this would be the result last September. Which leads me back to the question asked at the start, before the huffing and puffing, is Coveney's political clout gone in the government and within FG.

He championed this idea and was not able to get it over the line.

BTW, the people on the ground in Cork didn't seem to see a problem being ready, so the likelihood is the reasons for the decision were spun. Such is politics.

I doubt anyone in cork would admit if they could or couldn’t deliver the massive positive it would have

Anyway you have gone from gloating over it not happening to now saying you know what teh people in cork said 😂

If it was approved you would be on this thread now saying it was a waste of money when we have a housing issue and health etc

I said the 'people on the ground' in Cork. And their views are easily accessed on google.

I didn't 'gloat' either, I clearly said the event is neither here nor there for me and that I was interested in the political import of it not happening and what it means for the Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Imagine posing such a question on a government thread, scandalous! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27,951 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem with posters like Francie is that they see everything through a personalised lens and don’t see the issues. It is all win or lose for an individual. Life isn’t like that, and politics certainly isn’t or shouldn’t be that.

Coveneny saw a potential for something good. He brought it to his department and to government where it was properly appraised before being rejected. That is a good thing and how things should work. We need politicians with ideas, credible ones that can be appraised. We also need politicians who will accept that process of appraisal. All in all, the Americas Cup is a really good example of government working well. Innovative idea from a politician, properly appraised and a decision taken.

however, all of that is irrelevant to the doomsday merchants. They are only interested in low-level point-scoring.

Exactly, Sinn Fein had the opportunity to form a government. Even with 68 or 62, they could have put it up to FF and the independents for confidence and supply or an election with them getting the blame.

the problem for Sf was twofold, 90% of their party doesn’t want to be in government and the few that do are unable to do a deal with any other party. SF’s failure to get into government is all of their own fault.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, blanch invents a world nobody lives in and then upbraids anyone who speaks of the real world.

Very good!

Remember this is the politician who had the brainfart to appoint Zappone, didn't inform the Taoiseach properly and wiped the record of what went on.

Must have been having a week off from having 'innovative ideas', getting them 'properly appraised' and awaiting a 'decision'. 😁

Yawn, nothing new there, ignore the way your position is demolished and have a go at the poster doing the demolition.

Have you managed to figure out yet whether you are in favour of the Americas Cup yet? Hearing SF are for it to use it a stick to beat the government.

Why do you all want to talk about SF on the government thread.

I'll say it again shall I? I am nonplussed about the 'event' like many other events in the country.

I AM interested in the political aspect of it though and the fallout, given it was 'championed' by Coveney and given that media commentators have observed that his political standing is now diminished given the controversies that have surrounded him like a sticky fog.

But it’s clear you are not. You gloated that the event was cancelled and then when the reaction was the event was a huge loss you switched to this rubbish about coveney in some crazy attempt to try be negative about him.

The desperation of using Zappone just proves that.

No idea what you think the gain is here? That people will read this and suddenly not vote Coveney because you have shown them the light? Because that’s not how it works.

As I posted already this online campaign been run by the opposition is in fact doing the opposite, no longer can anyone have a decent discussion about politics without a load of bulls**t been posted like we seen yesterday

You are stooping to lies again.

Here is my post on this matter, there is NO gloating about the cancellation...zero. Merely a reflection on the political aspect of a high profile minister pet project failing to secure government approval.

Nobody in government prepared to back Coveney's pet project after his scandals? Not looking good to be next leader of FG.

So have you decided yet whether it was a good government decision to cancel it? I mean for someone who claims to have no interest in the event, you sure post an awful lot more than anyone else on these boards about it.

How would it be a 'good decision' if I believe like others, that it was made because Coveney has lost his political clout?

I mean how hard is it for you to work that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yesterday when I heard the government were setting up a pension that anyone without a pension would be auto enrolled into, I thought this was good as everyone should pay into a pension and by auto enrolling people it means younger people, who lets face it don't think about a pension, would be automatically set up. Then you read in the article in the Indo (which for some posters on here along with RTE and IT is gospel) and the article is saying that the government has privately conceded that this is just set up to help people pay for their rent when they retire because they will never own a home so it turns out that was is a good idea is just another handout to landlords/vulture funds.

To work out that you believe in personality politics rather than issues? Not that hard to work out, actually.

That you believe decisions should be made on the basis of clout and emotion rather than objective merits? Not that hard to work out either, given your approach to other issues.

So, let's ask the question again, based on the objective merits or demerits of hosting the Americas Cup, was it a good decision not to hold it?

• Advertisement

Any answer to a simple question that has been posed to you for many days now Blanch? 🙂

Will you be pushing your local FG and FF TD to resurrect the 2015 Public Sector Standards Bill that got shelved even though it promised much needed and long overdue reform and had broad support in the Dail?

Advertisement