Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picard 2x04 - 'Watcher' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goldberg always was a hard age to tell. Same as Stewart actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You know the part where Marty & zdoc go from 1955 to the “new” 1985.

Then Doc talks about the “old” 1955 and “new” 1955. Well that’s what I thought about lack of Times Arrow. If that even makes sense.

Incidentally I see that Lea Thompson directed that episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But in both cases there was a divergent point after which history unfolds differently in a separate timeline. Yes Q jumped them into an alternate timeline (like Hill Valley 1985 where Biff runs the town), but because they went back before the 2024 change (whatever it is), they should have still been in the original timeline that we saw in TNG/DS9/Voyager etc in the same way as them going back to 1955 in BTTF was prior to Biff polluting the timeline.

Thus, Guinan should have remembered Picard from Time's Arrow

Still, that aside it was another decent episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

A Chevy Camaro circa 1969 in particular.

Although he wouldn’t be much use to them here, since he was an aficionado of the *20th Century* :P

It was a weaker episode but still pretty watchable. The Time’s Arrow bit did kind of annoy me, and although the causality issue from the Confederation could be the reason Time’s Arrow is not referenced I still believe it is within their gifts to have not watched or forgotten that episode entirely. But since Guinan is on Earth, maybe it actually is the causality thing (since her being on Earth early was established in Time’s Arrow)

Jurati was less annoying this time, but I’m starting to get disappointed with the Borg Queen. I was hopeful for a return to a First Contact form for this villain (they even reference some of the First Contact music), but she’s starting to remind me of the idiot she became in Voyager. Maybe that makes sense since Earth had managed to defeat her.

I kind of expected that they’d make some commentary about America in the 2020s but it feels kind of blunt and could have been written better I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, she doesn't act, look or sound like the Guinan we have met in the 19th, 23rd and 24th century.

It's not been too bad though overall. A big improvement on last season, which wouldn't be difficult.

I echo what others have said regarding Rios this season. He is much better, but has the most interesting plot line.

I can't stand Raffi. For an apparent commander in starfleet, she's seriously unprofessional. I also don't understand where her love for Elnor came from? Did I miss that in season 1?

Probably easy enough to guess who the incognito Borg from the first episode is at this stage.

Raffi's love for Elnor came from the soft reboot of making Picard more Picard like so he can't be the one getting overly distraught over Elnors death, like with Data last season, so someone has to and that had to be Raffi because there's no other more appropriate character like say a recently bereaved Romulan.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought it was a bit of mixed bag. I liked the fact that they recast Guinan instead of going for a deepfake/de-aging but if she wasn't the watcher then it made most of the interaction between her & Picard just feel like filler in order to use up runtime. I'd also agree that the Borg queen is coming across waaay too melodramatic for a character who should be far more cold & calculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My theory on the Queen being like that is after mixing with Agnes a little bit of personality is rubbing off on her. Now the Borg has no collective, it's just her "own" thoughts and mind as opposed to the billions previously.

I kind of assumed the Queen was acting like that because she thought she was playing Jurati but then got played.

Little easter egg I just copped in the last scene - Jackson Roykirk plaza...

... Presumably named for the 21st century scientist who created the Nomad probe that the Enterprise encountered in TOS and which mistakenly identified James T Kirk as its creator.

(I knew I recognised the name!) 😊

Sanctuary district mentioned too.

Can't believe that they mention a sanctuary district, Guinan having a big fu(k off gun, Yesterday's Enterprise mention, and Guinan's sensitivity to timeline changes without knowing about Time's Arrow

I mean it was a season ending cliff hanger 2 parter FFS

That kind of thing happened on Discovery too, pretty obscure references sprinkled around here and there but major events ignored or altered for almost no reason.

I like to think Kurtzman has a real Star Trek aficionado chained up somewhere and every so often he throws a script at him and demands he put in the references but isn't allowed to make any other revisions.

• Advertisement

I’ve noticed similar (while I was still watching Discovery). I’ve seen these as an attempt to anchor his work into the established universe but at the same time forgetting to frame it into part of an enjoyable space adventure too. It’s almost akin to episode an being little more than Michael just sitting on a bridge and reading out a list of characters from TNG & Voyager. It’s a callback to the past, but it’s no fun.

Picard is at least a bit enjoyable now, so I don’t mind the odd namedrop in the show, however it’s getting a bit ridiculous when Guinan’s 2024 bar is also Ten-Forward. Unless Guinan hid her engineering credentials from Utopia Planitia where she specifically designed a section of Deck 10 on the Galaxy Class to be her future bar, it’s starting to smack of bad writing….almost as if the writers didn’t know why the Enterprise bar was called Ten-Forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no communications available, i dunno, maybe replicate or beam in a couple of mobiles?

stupid episode full of stupid nonsense, its rapidly repeating season 1s descending quality as you go.

To be honest, Rafi is central to my main dislikes. Nothing about her is relatable or understandable

That shouldn't be necessary. Combadges use sub space don't they? A chunk of planet shouldn't be enough to block them.

EDIT: Or not. They only had a 500km range in TNG without a relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say because they're alternate universe com badges they can't hack them into the 21st century communication network other wise relaying them into the existing satellite network should be a doddle.

• Advertisement

I know it's Star Trek and anything can be solved by recalibrating the quantum dodaddle.

But there is nothing to suggest a 24th century combadge can piggyback on the satellite network. I could be like trying to run your modem by hooking it up to a Morse telegram wire.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Times arrow presumably is a TNG episode? Why does this cause difficulties for The Picard series?

Because it's set earlier then this episode and depicts Guinan's first meeting with Picard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Times Arrow was the TNG episode where the crew went back in time to the 1890s and encountered Guinan there as she was living on Earth at time. So in principle she well knows who Picard is. But if the future was altered, the events of this didn't happen, and she no longer knows him in 2024. Except this is then contradicted in the same episode, as the appear of Bus Punk is dependent upon the events of Star Trek 4.

I think its probably a failure of continuity

I still think Stewart is too old for this. Picard is a nostalgia trip. Stewarts best days are behind him. He is not Anthony Hopkins.

For some reason after DS9 they went backwards in time with two series

Time for trek to move forward which its not really doing with Picard.

It's moved forward, with Disco. That's no better and, honestly, are in the exact position I expected them to be in.

Nerfing Starfleet and stagnating the Federation's development.

At end of Voyager they had crippled the Borg, neutered S8472, anti borg armour/transphasic torpedoes/quantum slipstream. Where else was there to go?

Gamma quadrant. Reopen the worm hole and send a ship on a "5 year mission"

Start at the edge of known Dominion space and off you go. Could even add in some former Dominion world on the rebuild or fighting each other in land grabs.

I'de love to know what happened the various cloned/manufactured species in the Dominion.

With all that tech? Which, let's be honest, is Dominion smashing.

So you go to the Gamma Quad and who do you meet that is anywhere near a threat to the ship? Who there is an antagonist because, if they are a threat to the new Starfleet ship, they would have beaten the Dominion long ago

They have had to ignore all that tech in Lower Decks, and Picard has shied away from fleets (barring one horrific example I admit)

Voyager really painted the series into a corner. It was like StarGate where the humans were more powerful than the Goa'uld so they had to have an increasing level of badguys which just happened to be waiting around the corner, yet unknown to everyone

• Advertisement

You don't have to have one big scary bad guy. Plenty of ways to endanger a ship. Especially one out on its own far from backup.

All what tech ? They beat the Dominion with the usual old phasers.

There is but you're back to episodic storytelling and, even then, the stakes need to be higher than Enterprise D ever encountered.

Ship on its own? Voyager again.

They never beat the Dominion. The Dominion were held in the Gamma Quadrant by gods! They beat the expeditionary force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Got to agree here. Her character is so inconsistent. Almost feels like she's tacked on. Maybe they've just failed to develop her properly. She served as Picard's XO for a decade? And yet she interacts with him like they only met recently. When she blamed Picard for "playing games" with Q, I was like "WTF". If she knew Picard as well as she's supposed to, she'd have never said that, even in anger.

In this episode, she had the role of the "streetwise sidekick" to Seven's fish-out-of-water. And it just felt all wrong. She was written into the episode like she grew up in 2024 and knew her way around, even down to her use of vernacular language.

I'm otherwise definitely warming up to this season. I think they're actually being pretty meticulous about tying up some continuity stuff. The decision to choose 2024 as the year can't be a coincidence, there has to be some connection to the Bell Riots.

Maybe they wanted though to avoid explicitly getting back into that. Apparently there was some bad taste left in Brooks' mouth from Star trek. Others might know better.

Or maybe they will get into it. The original "break" in the timeline now doesn't happen, but Q tries again in late 2024. And they do a look-back/cross-over episode like DS9 did with TOS.

Q's remark to Picard about things he had to repent for had me thinking that maybe Q was referring to Sisko & Wolf 359. Time will tell.

I'm definitely warming up to this season, but only in a "Leave mind at the door" kind of way. To quote MJ from the new Spider-man movie, "If you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed".

Thats certainly how I feel about this season. I liked large parts of Season one, but there were also so many lost oppurtunities, farcical scenes, and the magic tool that can fix anything.

Personally I don't need any stakes at all. Picard, Discovery, Snowpiercer, Expanse were always at their least interesting during the high stakes bit.

I think Voyager and Enterprise mostly sucked but I don't think it was the format was the problem.

It's a bit like the X-Files. It was at it's best when it was doing Monster/Mystery of the Week. Not long season wide story arcs.

In TNG, Best of Both Worlds, a really great double-episode. If that was filmed today, that would have been an entire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

They also had the blonde woman Q was interested in reading a Dixon Hill Novel (written by TNG scriptwriter Tracy Tormé).

This and Guinan only agreeing to take Picard to the Watcher when he told her his name made it clear this Woman was a Picard (Both Q and the Watcher are interested in her). It was only afterwards I recalled Jean Luc mentioning a distant cousin Renee Picard from this time period and found out her name was actually given in the subtitles.

There was a reference to Dixon Hill at some point as well. Was it Juratti who refers to Dixon Hill when talking to Picard? Again, an almost bizarre reference to TNG. Something a Trek fan would know, but in the context of their relationship, it doesn't make sense Juratti would know about.

I also hate the way Juratti addresses Picard as Mister. I thought it was a one off thing which is part of normal speach, but she's said it a few times. It's jarring.

Re X-Files, I'd have been the opposite. I saw all those monster of the week episodes as filler and distractions from the ongoing plot and conspiracy narrative. Of course, then that became far too convoluted in itself, so....

Year of Hell on Voyager was supposed to be a season I gather. That could have been interesting although a full 26 episode run could have been too long but even 6-10 might have worked.

Yesterday's Enterprise is another that could have done with more time (heh!), a two-parter at least.

• Advertisement

There was no reason Raffi and Rios shouldn't have been rolled into the one character from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wouldn't have to be something Picard told her, the Holodeck incident with Dixon Hill could have made Federation newswire or became known as a holodeck can kill you thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I kind of felt like Dixon Hill was part of established pop-culture in the the Trek universe. Sort of like referring to someone being like "Hercule Poirot" if they were a good investigator, I'm guessing Dixon Hill fills this particular trope in the TNG world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@_Kaiser_ wrote:

Year of Hell on Voyager was supposed to be a season I gather. That could have been interesting although a full 26 episode run could have been too long but even 6-10 might have worked.

It was believed to be too hardcore for audiences. That nobody would want to watch a show where the heroes are really struggling from episode to episode. The format was very specific, you open with a problem, the meat of the episode is our heroes struggling to resolve it or things getting worse, and you finish with a positive conclusion. If you did end the episode on a bad note, it has to be a cliffhanger with an immediate resolution at the start of the next episode. No way you can just drag on this huge story over multiple episodes without people getting bored.

Virtually every TV show in the 80s and 90s followed this format, from the A-Team to Knight Rider, Star Trek, X-Files, ER, Xena, Stargate.

Imagine what TV execs from those times would think watching something like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead :D

Funnily enough, if you read any weekly comic books like 2000AD during those times, they usually had episodic one-off stories, but they also frequently ran long storylines that sometimes went on for months, with no resolution/conclusion week-to-week. Nobody got bored with those, in fact they were riveting.

Not to mention the fact that soaps were also very popular. But I guess no TV execs at the time thought it was transferable to prime-time viewing.

Your first paragraph is basically the Battlestar Galactica reboot which Voyager should have just been a little bit more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was also the issue with syndication of shows, which was big money spinner for the production companies pre-DVD era and not being able to rely on those stations showing episodes in the correct order.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe that is because Earth did not become a Confederation untill after the events of Star Trek 4 or maybe the Kirk and Spouck of this Confederation still want back and rescued whales to save Earth anyway but the way they done it might have been different. Maybe they were not as nice and just shot everyone that got in there way to get the whales. So maybe the event on the bus with Spock took place but the 24th century event with Picard meeting Guinen for the first time dud not because maybe Picard was into destroying worlds and conquering not co existing with them and maybevtgere is no Data in the Confederation so the events of that could not then happen anyway. Who knows. Or maybe the writers just fu-cked up.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Give me a series that takes it from the end of deep space 8/movies and just move the hell forward. A space ship with new crew. Not Rolling out an 80 year old whose best days are behind him??

Discovery went too far and I got to be honest not terribly impressed with the future they depict. Not at all as advanced as you'd expect a thousand years later.

Wouldn't be a fan of Deep Space 8. I don't like prequels 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

In the words of Nero "IT HAS HAPPENED! I WATCHED IT HAPPEN, I SAW IT HAPPEN! DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

That's what I think of them having Guinan not recognise Picard. They have already met, I saw them meet, it did happen! I have no idea why they've changed this bit of history that exists before the change to the timeline, except that it didn't suit the story they're trying to tell and so they changed it for artistic license reasons. That's bullcrap though. Guinan should have recognised him instantly, but didn't, and for some other reason she does recognise (or know) his name and changes her position immediately on hearing it.

Apart from that, and Rafi being a very annoying person, I liked the episode. I liked the end scene where Q is doing something but seems to be unable to enact his normal clicky-finger magic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement