Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He'll definitely grab it I think. Took the risk of leaving Cork who were the second best team in the country at the time and had just won the FAI cup to join Limerick for first team football.

Would have gotten a move to the UK even if he stayed with Cork. Backed himself that he'd be good enough to still get his move playing for a weaker team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Huge differ between top of league one and top of Championship. Looking like Bournemouth will go up too. If Travers keeps his place in the team next year then its going to be a serious battle between himself and Bazunu. Thats assuming Bazunu plays in the championship next season. If he is league 1 then i dont think we can overlook a PL goalie. Kelleher you'd feel needs to play a season of 35-40 games in the next year or two. I think Klopp is happy enough at not having to spend 15 million on a second choice keeper so that could keep him there. Its Bazunus jersey for now with Travers breathing down his neck. Until Kelleher starts playing games regularly he is the no3.

Ogbene will be championship next season. The big question will be if he can perform like he did yesterday on a consistent basis. Thats the key. Consistency.

Luke McNally is a serious prospect. We aren't going to be stuck for CBs for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I dont know if a championship club will fork out 15-20 mill for a goalie though. A PL team would but Kelleher would likely be no2 in another PL team though for the time being.

A championship loan move where he gets 40 games would be great.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Liverpool already got 12.5 million for Danny ward from Leicester so it's not that big a stretch, though as above, he's well and truly a no. 2.

Thats my point. Ward is second choice and has barely played a game for Leicster. He's 28 too. If Kelleher isnt careful in his choices over the next 12-24 months thats where he could end up. He might be better running down his contract. The difference with himself and Bazunu / Travers is that they have have the leverage of playing week in week out. Kelleher is still somewhat of an unknown entity. Id imagine Travers is closer to a 20 million pound move than Kelleher. A bit like Ramsdale when he went from Bournemout to Arsenal.

Liverpool lost two competitions in large part to having a poor goalkeeper. The champions league final to Real and the quarter final to atletico. If they trust kelleher which they really seem to do I don’t think they would be interested in selling. unfortunately they might not be interested in loaning him out either unless they have an offer to recall him which seems to have gone out of fashion.

if kelleher wants to move in the summer it will of come out of nowhere. Being at Liverpool right now is a privileged position to be at that might not be compensated by being no. 1 at another club and have a better chance of being no. 1 for Ireland.

Incorrect, they had Allison when they exited to atletico. He was injured so Adrian deputized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Danny Ward is hardly a good example is he?

Better to be a #2 at one of Europe's top teams to one of the best goalies in World football than to be #2 at the likes of Leicester surely. Ward's career hasn't progressed at all.

Danny ward was off the back of a solid season in the championship. Kelleher wont be a no1 target fot a pl club based on a dozen games or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Am I right in thinking you are a Liverpool fan? I see a good bit of club before country on some of the ROI facebook groups I am on that talk about the benefit of training at a top club etc (maybe it is you in the same groups). There is absolutely no substitute to playing regularly for any player. I would say Kelliher is enjoying being at Liverpool now (who wouldn't) but it is hampering his career at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I see him going to the championship at best on loan. Cant see a championship team paying 15-20 million for him based on 7 or 8 games. No point swapping the Pool bench for a mid table PL bench either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No chance at all that he will leave this summer,

He is delighted with life in Liverpool right now, He is also only a goal keeper since he's 14 , so he himself reckons he is way ahead of where he should be in his development, although Bazunu is younger he has more years in the position

Kelleher is a very smart lad & understands he is still a bit away from being a number 1 somewhere, He has said that he will look to be a number 1 when he feels he is ready ,

It is plausible as the standard in the Championship is much higher now than 15 years ago.

To be fair, the Championship is probably the 5/6th best league in Europe, most of the lower half of the top divisions in the bigger nations is fairly full of fodder.

L1 is very competitive this season, and hopefully MK Dons catch Rotherham and grab one of the automatic promotion places along with Wigan.

Unfortunately for Chiedozie there's more Irish lads that will benefit from those two going up and him being out of contract will have offers.

The U21s will be without Ebosele (family issues), Smallbone (illness), and Ferguson (injury). Probably why Darragh Burns and Killian Phillips were brought in the other day. Joe Redmond was called up yesterday when that news broke which seemed weird at the time.

Though Kenny Kids tweeting this morning that Crawford has confirmed that he'll also be without Eiran Cashin who misses the game due to paperwork issues. His international clearance hasn't come through in time and Redmond was to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Yeah, I'd be of the same opinion. Seems to be enjoying his time at Liverpool - it's only this season he has been the no.2 GK really. Another season at no.2 where he picks up the cup games (league & FA cup) and then he can bide his time for a decent move the following season. There are a couple of mid/top half prem teams that will be looking to pick up a new no.1 then (Spurs - Loris is 35, West Ham - Fabianski is 36, Leicester - Schmeichel is 35, Newcastle - Dubraka is only 33 but mightn't fit club profile by then). They would have the ability to pay 20m for a young GK how could go on to become their no.1 for a long time

Unless Kelleher can get a loan move and play 40-50 games in a season while being consistent its hard to see any PL taking a risk on him as a no1 in the medium term. He cant afford to go somewhere either and sit on the bench for 2 years. I think the lad would be best served looking for a club in the championship where he would be number 1 and playing football. Travers has developed massively this season from being number 1 and playing every week. Possibly going to be a PL number 1 next season all going well. Hes younger than caomhin too but has 70 games played already in his career.

In saying that maybe he is happy at Pool and being number 2. So be it if he is and best of luck to him of thats the case. But his international prospects will be affected if Buzunu and Travers are playing regularly, especially if Travers is in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

City got 13.5m for Angus Gunn in 2018 from pl southampton and he never even played for them. Something similar for kelleher isn’t unrealistic, southampton would actually be a great move for him. Interesting debate this one, logic to both arguments. I think another year at liverpool then make the move prob for the best. He is in no rush though. A few mistakes from bazanu or travers and kellehers stock will rise massively without playing.

Brighton could do a lot worse than make a move for Kelleher. Would fit in with the style of football they play.

Fantasy stuff to think Kelleher would be no1 at a PL club after less than 20 games at 23 years of age. It would be a really poor move for him too. He needs to move to a club where he is guaranteed football. A top level or mid level championship team where he is guaranteed his game would be his best bet. He is 23. If he stays at pool another year, which he probably will, he will be nearly 25 moving. His move then is critical. If he spends 2 years sitting on a bench he is almost 27 before you know it.

You realise that Brighton have one of the best young goalies in the PL / Europe. A spanish international at 24 with over 100 games as a pro. That would be an atrocious move to be honest. A good move for Brighton as a number 2, a shocking poor move for Kelleher though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As a Liverpool fan, I'd prefer to have Kelleher stay and be a top quality deputy for Alisson. As an Ireland fan, I think he needs to either go out on loan, or find a permanent move.

Alisson is only 29 and only signed a very long-term deal just last year, he's not going anywhere. Kelleher can't afford another season where he's mostly sitting on his gloves. He needs to either push for a season loan, or find a new club. I do worry that his personality is such that he's happier to sit and wait rather than push for a chance to get more games under his belt.

They do, because if he's one of the best young goalies then the standard must be low. And his one cap for Spain came as a sub in the 74th minute when Spain were beating Georgia 4-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This obsession with the English Premier League is neither here nor there. Bazunu won’t be dropped unless he does something wrong in an international game for Ireland. He is number 1 choice and Travers as a number one pick for Bournemouth in the EPL if they get promoted won’t change that. Bazunu will need to lose form or get injured for Travers or Kelleher to get an opportunity to start games.

At that point it’s whoever the manager fancies and Kelleher has shown he can come in and do a good job despite not playing first team football regularly. He keeps himself fit and ready to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You are reinforcing Gussers point. Gunn never played for City, but he played 46 games in a season loan with Norwich where he proved himself and Southampton signed him on the back of that.

Unchanged match day squad. Disappointed we won't get a look at Ronan this window. Think this will be the team he'll name:

..........................Kelleher

..............Collins - Duffy - Egan

Doherty - Browne - Cullen - Manning

...........Ogbene - Keane - Robinson

Think Collins will get a start ahead of O'Shea who hasn't played much since coming back from injury. Wouldn't be surprised to see both Ogbene and Robinson start again and not sure which one Parrott would replace if he was to start. Possibly Robinson letting Ogbene get another start to keep his momentum going.

Not sure what to make of this. West Brom are a good club, but Bruce isn't much of a manager. At least he should get games.

• Advertisement

Yeah don't know what to make of the move, kinda 50/50 on it. Gardner Hickman seems to be ahead of him at the moment starting the last four games in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

21s lineup is in.

Happy to see Odubeko start, surprised McEntee got the nod unless we are playing with a back 3 and O'Connor as a RWB. Huge game for them tonight, a win and qualification is in our hands, but I have a feeling we are going to get bet. We haven't looked impressive in any game I've watched anyway.

Surely would be a back three. That midfield three is made up of three lads that prefer playing as 6s.

Can see it being similar to how the senior team line up with Kilkenny and Coventry as the midfield two with Tierney and O'Neill supporting Mipo.

Good call. I would prefer O'Shea to Duffy but otherwise that would be my preferred 11 for tonight

Finished 2-2 in the 17s final game. Were 2-0 down at half time and could have finished second if they won 3-2. Portugal battered Finland 9-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ireland goal in the U21s, decent bit of build up play and a great finish from Ross Tierney

Mistake from the Swedish defender, but Tierney was lively enough to pounce.

Bit similar to Ogbene and McGrath in the June games. Fair enough they did see game time but it was a couple of minutes against Hungary and 8mins against Andorra only. Omobamidele or O'Connor didn't feature in either of those June games either. Hopefully the week in with the seniors spurs him on to go back to his club and give Kenny something to think about for June's games.

We're defending well, but our ball retention is terrible. The problems start with Maher who looks a good shot stopper, but has struggled with the kicking. Other than Bagan, who tried 1-2 times to bring the ball out from the back, the defence has been forced to play it back to the keeper most of the time. No one seems to have the confidence to step out of defence and find a midfielder, it's all back to the keeper who generally gives it straight back to the Swedes. It's a really shame Cashin had to pull out of the squad, this backline is crying out for someone with the ability to play the ball.

Kilkenny's looked the most assured of the midfielders, very few mistakes and is always looking to try and play the ball forward. Coventry as usually putting in a huge shift. In fairness we've pressured them well and prevented them from creating too much.

Lads up front looking fairly isolated unfortunately. Odubeko hasn't linked up play once from what I can remember. Tierney has done a bit better, but has been slack at times. O' Neill has gotten into some nice positions, but has always had to beat 2-3 men at any given time he has the ball.

Id prefer to see jimmy Dunne start if he were fit than Collins. He has a lot more football played this season than Collins. Good to see collins for 90 mins though.

• Advertisement

The level of football a lad is playing at for his club being neither here nor there is a new one on me. I know a few lads playing in the DDSL at the moment. One has scored 30 goals in 26 games. Sure hes a shoe in if thats the case.

Im being flip of course.

If Bazunu is league 1 next year, which i doubt, then a GK playing in the PL of course would have to be given serious consideration.

To say the level of football these lads are playing at for clubs doesnt matter is reductive and non sensical.

Crawford might as well take Mipo off and go 5-5-0 altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,146 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goalkeeper is probably the position where it matters a bit less but its still a big deal. I would take playing D1 over bench warning PL though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Would you drop a form player because a lad got a few minutes in the Premier league?

If he is playing League 1 and the other player is a PL number 1 i think there will be a decision to make. That said i dont think Bazunu will be League 1. He will hopefully get a championship move next season to continue his development.

Apparently Kayoade is still on loan at Carlisle according to the two clowns commentating. Embarrassing to get such a basic fact so wrong.

Throw in the fact you gotta listen to Kenny Cunningham and Peter Collins I think it is and it feels like nails on a chalkboard.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement