Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Wow. Another ranting and raving post

The obsession with Greta and Germany by non Green party supporter is very very strange

Some interesting reports coming out of the presentations made to the Oireachtas Committee on Environment and Climate Action today 

Some of the main points raised (covered across multiple articles below)

LNG Supplies & LNG Terminal

• Building new gas terminals would cost householders more in energy bills long term
    • Increasing Irelands reliance on fossil fuels like natural gas or liquified natural gas (LNG) would also increase the economy’s exposure to energy price volatility
    • Massive construction and running costs would be passed on to householders by private operators
    • Any state-owned facility would face similar problems and need subsidies or levies funded by ordinary billpayers
    • Europe has enough LNG terminals and building one in Ireland would take years
    • Given the useful lifespan of an LNG terminal is 30-40 years, it is feasible that Irish gas customers or taxpayers could still be paying for the LNG terminal in 2062
    • Given Ireland’s access to piped gas from the UK, an Irish LNG terminal would be a last resort. So we can expect very low utilisation rates of such facility
    • Many LNG projects across Europe have required “operational aid”, not just investment subsidies. One such example is a Croatian terminal on the island of Krk. In addition to securing public subsidies that covered 86% of the investment costs, the operators were guaranteed a security of supply levy — essentially an LNG levy to be placed on gas customers’ bills by Croatian gas grid operator. The levy would cover any shortfall in revenue from the running of the terminal.

Wind/Solar etc

• Ireland can generate up to 5,000 megawatts by wind, but on "quiet days" only a fraction of that is delivered
    • Energy policy is all driving towards fulfilling net zero carbon emissions, by 2050
    • The CRU is accelerating the deployment of green energy in light of the "shocking" Russian invasion of Ukraine.
    • Ms McEvilly pushed for "an acceleration" of the review of the planning process, which has a direct bearing on the delivery of new energy projects
    • 745,000 smart meters have been installed in Irish homes to date

Excellent post by the way. Very interesting information

This has been mentioned a few times on here, even if we approve the LNG plant in Kerry it will be 2027 at best before it is completed and more likely 2030. Not going to reduce any costs in the near future. By the looks of it instead of reducing will increase.

Also as mentioned, the levy. It might be surprising to some people but roads like the M3 which don't make enough using the tolls get a top up from the government. So all the people going around in circles to miss the toll are actually paying in tax in the long run anyway, you just wasted a load of fuel and paid more tax than just paying the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

IPCC , is it still run by the Indian guy who was only qualified to sledgehammer railway sleepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Simple. I have asked the same question and you have ducked, dived, deflected and refused to answer each time. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but that's fine if you refuse to answer. I've no problem with that now I know that. But don't ever try and accuse me or anyone else of doing what your clearly doing.

• Advertisement

😂🤷‍♂️

So I post the stats after your foul mouthed rants and you can even read them…..

Here is a pic of my zappi charging the car plus excess to grid in March. Again proves how ridiculous your statement about 3 months a years 😂

Good coverage of some of the horrendous environmental issues with Renewable energy generation via solar detailed in this article

"A major new study of the economics of solar, published in Harvard Business Review (HBR), finds that the waste produced by solar panels will make electricity from solar panels four times more expensive than the world’s leading energy analysts thought. “The economics of solar,” write Atalay Atasu and Luk N. Van Wassenhove of Institut Européen d'Administration des Affaires, one of Europe’s leading business schools, and Serasu Duranof the University of Calgary, will “darken quickly as the industry sinks under the weight of its own trash."

"Conventional wisdom today holds that the world will quadruple the number of solar panels in the world over the next decade. “And that’s not even taking into consideration the further impact of possible new regulations and incentives launched by the green-friendly Biden administration"

"By 2035,” write the three economists, “discarded panels would outweigh new units sold by 2.56 times. In turn, this would catapult the LCOE (levelized cost of energy, a measure of the overall cost of an energy-producing asset over its lifetime) to four times the current projection.”

Post edited by Mecanudo on

🤣 from the article. Where do you find these clown articles?

”which is safely stored and never hurts anyone”

Lol. Come on DaCor you can do better than that. You do realise that these "reports" are in effect the lobbying of a small number of dyed in the wool campaign groups such as Friends of the Earth and Global Witness yes?

Paper won't refuse ink. And while they're lobbying lot may have made the paper - it doesn’t mean that they have a clue what the on about.

Of course they are against natural gas exploration and LNG and much like a small number of advocates here seem to think that the gas pipeline to Moffat in Scotland is going to be just dandy for the next 30 years or so. Even though the North Sea natural gas fields on which the supply depends is running out and that the UK in turn will have to import most of its natural gas from an increasingly scarce and expensive supply in Europe?

The same lot who have told the Oireachtas Committee on Environment and Climate Action today that "any move to fast-track the development of LNG terminals in Ireland could heap more costs on Irish households". Where the fck do this lot think that reliance on a single source in the UK is going to do for householders the way things are going both in Europe and globally? They have their heads firmly stuck in the sand and evidently don't give a fiddler's for what people will have to pay in the future as long as they get what they want.

Well reckon that shows your own apparent ignorance relating to that issue. Where nuclear waste is stored safely it certainly won't hurt anyone.

But where does "these clown articles" come from you ask? Well Forbes is a well renowned international publication and the author of the article

Michael Shellenberger is the best-selling author of San Fransicko (HarperCollins 2021) and Apocalypse Never (Harper Collins 2020), a Time Magazine “Hero of the Environment,” and Green Book Award Winner. He is Founder and President of Environmental Progress, an independent and nonprofit research organization based in Berkeley, California.

A bit more about the author from the author

Climate change is an issue I care passionately about and have dedicated a significant portion of my life to addressing. I have been politically activethe issue for over 20 years and have researched and written about it for 17 years. Over the last four years, my organization, Environmental Progress, has worked with some of the world’s leading climate scientists to prevent carbon emissions from rising. So far, we’ve helped prevent emissions increasing the equivalent of adding 24 million cars to the road. 

So let's just say whoever is the "clown" in your comment- it's not this guy anyway.

• Advertisement

Wow, I thought you were being harsh, but no, he actually said "But in contrast to nuclear waste, which is safely stored and never hurts anyone..."

What the actual f lmao 😂

In fairness, he is a self-confessed "nuclear proponent" so....

Don't get me wrong, waste processes and recycling etc should all be well managed, controlled, effective and efficient regardless of what is being processed so no argument in that regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Vladimir seems to be backing down, watch the vultures move on from Gas and Oil

F**king hilarious that people actual share this rubbish as "proof". Either he is getting paid a lot or he is just an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We had our smart meter installed 6 months ago, the UK already has real time 'Time of Use' tariffs that consumers can opt into. These are not non existent technology, they're proven technologies that just need to the investment to enable them, and the proper incentives to speed up their rollout

Its not far off it tbh, but it's never going to be 100 times cheaper to run a BESS plant as it is today, but then it doesn't need to be BESS just needs to get competitive with Gas and it's already not too far off it.

My solar pv system is from a UK company, so it links into Octopus energy. They are also working on integration with smart home etc as the next step.

Some people already do this themselves, so I guy posted recently that he has integrated a smart plug into the system, so when he has excess instead of putting back into grid it will turn on an electric heater in the house. Similar to what I have with car charger.

I posted days ago about smart meter and balance of the grid as you suggest above. A certain few poo poo the idea 😂

Of course you're not going to like the article, it shows the idiocy of those who support solar manufacture without question the real impact of solar equipment manufacturing and dumping

But perhaps more importantly considering your recent replies to my queries, you certainly don't seem to know what "proof is. But to quote you there I reckon that doesn't mean someone somewhere is "getting paid a lot or ... is just an idiot"

Lol, one of the hallmarks of a conspiracy theorist is taking someone's words and then drawing completely exaggerated conclusions by inferring meaning that was never stated

And the impacts of climate change are not 'a different issue' to the topic of this thread given that the green policies people object to are often aimed at tackling this issue. They're completely intertwined

If someone complains about the side effects of chemotherapy it is not 'whataboutery' to say they are preferable to the symptoms of cancer up to and including dying from it

Your 10 year old home made graph by some fringe blog that clearly has an agenda is not enough to discredit the IPCC

Here's something a bit more recent from somewhere a bit more official

• Advertisement

So back to "inferring" it's all a big conspiracy lol. Got it 😅

As for.

"inferring meaning that was never state"

So you now claim lol. Sure whatever walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and you'll generally find it's a duck.

Your bizarre ranting about the thread title, spuds and wheat, in response to a comment about specific issues of Renewable energy generation was most certainly a different issue and complete whataboutery. And you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The spoofers are still spoofing and the spoofies know their being spoofed but yet the game goes on 🤷‍♂️

Indeed, 745,000 homes already have smart meters installed

Not sure why you are trying to make this personal with the digs. For me its not. You made an incorrect statement, I merely corrected you on it.

You wish to discuss some German related things, cool, but I don't wish to.

I chose to politely ignore your cult stuff as it has no bearing on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What happens to all the heat pumps in social housing etc when people on pay as you go electricity meters don’t top up?

Me thinks if it’s anyway cold the heat pumps are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So seen as there are people who don’t want to face up to the looming gas issue we will have in the years to come, let’s talk about retofitting houses.

How much will this cost the average person in a regular 3 bed semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No need to waste your time telling us that Banana. The spoofers were spotted a long way back. They are those dwindling few that ignore inconvenient truths and refuse to answer pretty much anything they are asked, and they just keep adding to the evidence every day.

Jesus wept lol, broken record doesn't cover it

You are asking a specific question about something very, very generalised

For example "regular 3 bed semi".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Would I be correct Da that a trawl through these people who you are more or less attempting to put forward as an independent group with no dog in the fight would find more than a few with connections to the Irish Green party and have agendas that are mirror images of the Irish greens ?

Many of the holes in what they have said have already been highlighted here. But like here, from that submission, no attempt made to recognise those problems and deal with them other than the same old gazing way off into the future while ignoring the realities staring them in the face.

• Advertisement

Well it wasn't so much as the record was broken, as was the repeated attempts to knobble anyone who wished to discuss the topic in hand.

You are asking a specific question about something very, very generalised

Ah to be fair it's a helluva lot more specific compared to your "Decent Sized Farmer" that was offered up earlier.

Advertisement