Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, but it's the same in every industry... if your current employer is too small to be able to afford your actual market value, you invariably move on. Doesn't matter whether you're an accountant, engineer, or footballer, that's just how things are.

The question for Liverpool to answer is whether it's more important to keep their current wage structure intact, or make allowances for a generational talent. And it is a genuinely difficult question... but if they decide to not pay him what he could get at quite a few other clubs, it shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that he would move to one of those clubs.

Egypt Senegal going to pens now anyway...

The setting is fcking nuts there by the way, seems like thousands of lazer pens shining down over the pitch throughout from the crowd, and now the stadium lights are flashing on and off... it's like something out of guantanamo bay or something! As if a world cup playoff wasn't pressure enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Yeah i get your points and you are probably correct , i just think at that level of salary it is about money if he is looking for more. Which is grand , and if he moves on i wouldnt blame him , i just think the status thing is bolix haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Salah misses his pen

If it was all about the money, he'd just be going to PSG for double the wage he's asking from us, and that'd be the end of to though.

Mo takes the first pen for Egypt and skies it - had literally 40,000 lazers shining in his eyes taking it though! Senegal fans being absolute pricks, so hoping Egypt can win it now. its still 0-0 since Koulibali missed his too.

Still 0-0 after 3 now, with Senegal's second missed as well.

0-0 after 4 now, everyone missing!

<Edit>

Mane sends Senegal to the world cup.

Absolute farce of a shootout though, every Egyptian player and Keeper were half blind throughout it. Ref should've been stopping the game or something, totally unfair. Senegal should be looking at some major punishments from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Senegal thru on penalties with Mo missing the first one. Maybe the club can use that in contract negotiations.

I think its about money and the desire to play for a proper club. I dont get this status to my employer , just said it to make him sound better to fans He could yet go to PSG though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

At least Mo gets a rest in December which is handy. Unless we've sold him! Right team went through. That Egypt team are crap.

• Advertisement

Leave Liverpool to go to a proper club in PSG,

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

That penalty shootout was an absolute farce!

Sorry i didnt mean psg was a proper club. Just meant i think its about money and the desire to play at a proper club. And then as aside he could still actually go psg

Senegal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

wonder if the two lads will be sharing a plane back to Liverpool.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Don't give him what he wants - he has clearly lost it, hasn't scored in weeks! 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

It's not great but the Egyptians have been at that crap for years. Game last week was the same, if that was the second leg they'd be doing the same in a pen shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

there's a strong possibility yes , they done it afrer AFCON

Did they? Have it in my mind that Mo came almost straight back, while Sadio went to Senegal first to take part in celebrations, open top bus tour in Dakar and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fab and Ali played the full game for Brazil’s 0-4 win over Bolivia.

Diaz played the full game in Columbia’s 0-1 win over Venezuela.

Diaz another one to get December off then.

Correct but it is what it is. The outrage is a bit much given the exact same would have happened to other way round and it was the Egyptians who gave the Senegalese the idea. No effort was made to stop it last week and no effort was made to stop it last night.

im not sure how the outrage is a bit much, given that if it happened the other way around, the outrage would be the same. The outrage is at the act that occurred.

It’s one thing during the regular match (and if it was as bad during the Egypt leg which I didn’t see, they should face punishment for it too), but it’s a whole extra thing during pens. Where it might impact regular play in some small moments, it effectively decided the tie in pens. Crowd interference to that extent in a match’s result cannot be tolerated.

and the fact no effort was made on either occasion to stop it is only further reason for annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Didn't see the match as I was at the Ireland match but this looks a shitshow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't believe anyone in this day and age would describe reaction to these scenes as a bit much

I'm talking about seeing calls for the match to be replayed and senegal to be punished which I saw a lot of yesterday. Firstly it's not the players fault, secondly Egypt have done it for years and I've seen Senegalese people saying them doing it in the first leg is the reason it was done in the return so its their own fans fault really. Interestingly the Egyptians haven't complained about the lasers cos they know the score with their own.

Not fair on either team but the fact a pen shoot out was required and could have been impacted by the lasers is neither here nor there cos it'd have been the same if the ties were reversed. I happen to think Mo's pen was just absolutely awful, didn't take his usual run up, and absolutely blammed it, no surprise he missed by miles.

The laser events of both legs were not fair on either set of players but you can blame CAF for allowing that.

I'd be far far more concerned about the pitch invasion after it and the reports coming out today of the violence and racism the Egyptians were subjected to beforehand.

Seem as bad as each other hard to know going by Twitter!

This is exactly the problem with social media, sure the Senegal player picture could be from a different match also for all we know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I've seen TV footage of it happening in the first leg. Egypt are definitely not an innocent party in this, just that it was a different level during the penalty shootout.

And the pitch invasion and throwing of stuff you put up above is inexcusable

Yep I've seen a lot of people pointing out that this has been a feature of Egyptian club and international games for a long time. There was a massive hoolabloo about a game against Ghana in 2013 too. They have long standing form for this stuff so I've zero sympathy for them. The players of course are blameless, the fans, not so much.

As said Events before and after much more concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This is a problem that needs to be sorted by CAF. Good luck with that though. One of the Vice-President's is also head of the Senegalese Football Association and he did not see anything, apparently.

"President of the Senegalese Federation, Augustin Senghor - who is also the vice-president of CAF - said he would await official reports on the incidents.

"From the stands, I didn't pay attention to the projectiles thrown," Senghor said. "About the lasers, if it happened this is a first in Senegal. But we know that in Cairo there were a lot of these and [they are used] often in specific countries. Senegal isn't used to that."

He added: "In my opinion, I didn't see during this game something that could be considered as chauvinism because the Senegalese are known to be very welcoming.""

Honestly if he didn't see the lasers he is blind. But typical of the world today, instead of fessing up it is about deflection and not accepting blame. This goes for both sides and all other countries as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I don't think they did, could be wrong but I remember Salah playing our next game and klopp saying mane wasn't in the country yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's disgraceful tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The whole power struggle for votes in CAF is scary. The recent elections you had everyone elected to a position of power who is an ally of Infantino. You would have hoped he was going to be a force for change from Blatter, it turns out he is exactly the same power hungry leader of FIFA. Weird how the leaders of FIFA are all the same. Blatter learned everything from Havelange and it seems like Infantino is just more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if you call mo one of the best players in the world,you pay him accordingly, hes looking at rashford's numbers and hes on 250k pw ,ronaldo 450k getting less numbers than him,its his last big deal,400k pw,hes actually worth it,few are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Here is the issue the club face if they pay Salah that money it won't be to long before average players start knocking on the door saying they want more money or when the club tries to sign new players they will say they want money similar to Salah and that's when you start to end up falling into the wage trap like Man U

I completely stand by the clubs decision not to shatter the wage structure that could have a long term bad effect on the club.

As much as I shout give him what he wants when he scores a worldy the clubs just can't afford to shatter wage structures to compete with state backed or money making machines like Man City or Man U.

• Advertisement

I agree with everything.

I just don't think it's worth the club setting that precedent. It's gonna cause hassle for the next round of contracts with the other top tier players. Even if the rest got 75% it's gonna be a massive jump in salaries and the way the club is run, it'll end badly.

We'll be screaming out for a player but the salaries of others will prevent us signing them.

Mo has 2 options. Take what's on offer and be happy being a legend in one of the biggest/best clubs in world football, or move on for extra money that realistically won't make any difference to him and be just another player there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Liverpool can't afford to sign up a contract like that without putting the future of the club in jeopardy, you could end up in a Barcelona situation, if he needs that salary then he needs to go, simple as, it doesn't have to be nasty or played out in the media, his agent could do it discreetly for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

FSG have decided they can’t afford to pay for the mistakes of other clubs in rewarding mediocrity (Rashford, Ronaldo etc.) and at this stage I can’t say I blame them. If Mo is using that as a bargaining chip, off you go to Paris.

Funny how many of us (including myself) were saying to give him whatever he wants a few months ago. What changed since then?

Luis Diaz being an absolute baller, that’s what happened, and that signing making us realise that there’ll always be world class players out there for us, as a direct result of the quality of the club’s recruitment team.

I’d still love for Mo to stay though, of course, and I hope all parties find a way to make that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i think, given that ronaldo and messi are not it anymore ,only mo,mbappe,lewa are really, haaland could but not there yet, the statement it would send out if mo stays is bigger than the one if he leaves because we cant afford him ..its lets the others know,we are top of the table ,you cannot take our players anymore..we look weak if mo leaves because of money,when its not messi or ronnie money we are talking about. if other players want elite player wages then they need to be in the balon dor running too,simple as.

I disagree. I don’t think it shows weakness, if anything it shows the club will not be held to ransom. What rarely gets mentioned is that Mo is 30, he is at his peak at present, but there is a possibility, even a probability that his output will decline in the coming years. There have been examples of marquee players in their 30’s getting fat contracts, then their form going south. I’m not saying that will happen with Mo, but the club have to consider it a possibility and there will unlikely be any sell on value if a new contract is signed.

I can see why the club are holding out, there is no guarantee Mo will get paid more elsewhere, there is risk on both sides so a compromise may be best for all. But Mo’s agent seems to have his ear, so Mo may get pushed to move.

Big difference between not being able to afford him, and not being held to ransom.

Gini left cos he wanted more money than the club felt was necessary, if Mo goes for the same reason then so be it.

That in itself is enough of a statement from the club.

Your not bigger than us, if you feel you are then off with you and thanks for the service, here's hoping you don't get splinters on the bench of a farmers league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Personally I think the change in tone is more to do with the fact that our form didn't implode when he went to the AFCON as some had predicted, and his agent mouthed off (again) when it was last brought up, than with Diaz specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Big difference between Gini and Mo, Gini much easily to replace and also past his best. Mo is still in his prime and much more difficult to replace. We shouldn't break the bank for him, but, everything that can be done to keep him should be done, e.g. bigger incentives when certain targets are met, that keeps him motivated and if he hits these targets, he's happy and the club is benefiting too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His age or the actual wage isn't a problem, salah contract is affordable it's how expensive though it makes every other contract in future negotiations of other key players. That to me is worth protecting and enough of a reason to not give in.

I saw a picture on Twitter earlier it had 13 players in the league paid more than Salah, united had 6 of them, shocking value for money.

He's a great player, I hope he does stay but I've seen great players leave when were going nowhere and recover. We can do it under the genius of klopp too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Maybe thats what they have done. We've only been leaked a basic pay. Generally all we know is that current wages are lower but when we win things overall salary is one of the highest.

Salah may be saying he no longer wants incentives, he wants it all upfront. Especially if others are offering upfront.

I think the club should hold firm, show their strength. Giving in could lead to a decade of having to over pay ageing footballers.

He should want to stay because of the great set up. He knows he has the best manager in Europe and the club will bring in the best players to keep them challenging. He has to decide between 40 million and a career of glory or 80 million and a likely flaccid end to his peak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement