Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not sure why you're going after random people, but I didn't say that and Markus is a conspiracy theorist, feel free to re-quote and call out your understanding of the sentence and I can correct you on where your misunderstanding is coming from.

Do you think it was staged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jada has acted in films, P Diddy, Kelly Slater, Tony Hawks and the snow boarder dude at the Oscars, why?

BTW I'm not having a go just saying ok

Relative to her husband, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz she's not really a movie star is she?

I think that we can agree on that.

And going to the Oscars in the context of the prior joke was she was not up for any award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I’ve just read that jada is banging her son’s friends. I think if the presenter had better humour he would make the gag about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

I don't like Smith's statements that "violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive" and "no place for violence in a world of love and kindness". That's going too far the other way surely. What about all the action heroes he's played that have used violence, was that all "poisonous and destructive"? What about when an official authority like the police or army use violence or what about when someone is performing a citizen's arrest or it's a sort of gray area between it all? Maybe even a gentlemanly strike to the face of someone who's been extremely offensive? It's not like it was some knock-out punch.

Smith is commenting on all those situations here, not just his own. I think he was ok before - now he's put his foot in it by bringing all other situations into it. Now he just comes off as a hypocrite if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jada Pinkett Smith Declared ‘I Don’t Give Two Craps What People Feel About This Bald Head of Mine’ Before Oscars

Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t care what anyone has to say about her head.

In a video posted to her TikTok account a few days before the Oscars, Pinkett Smith talked about her “hair regrets,” especially when having to shoot a magazine cover. She also addressed how she feels about people who may or may not have an opinion about “this bald head of mine.”

“Being a Black woman and dealing with hair in Hollywood, especially in the era that I came up in, having your hair look as European as possible was always the thing,” she says in the video. “That was really challenging you know because I liked my hair out wild and curly. but nobody wanted that. so I always had to do my hairs in ways that didn’t feel natural to me because of trying to play the game. So if I’m doing a cover, everybody’s all, no we want your hair straight and flow. It’s like alright, cool, but that’s not really what my hair likes to do. So I had to learn to get the courage to go, nah I’m not doing it, which is why I feel the freedom today, I don’t give two craps what people feel about this bald head of mine. Cuz guess what? I love it.”..........

I think that she is more pissed off about not having much of a film career and being referred to in that context.

Yes she was in "The Matrix Resurrections" but then again that was utter shite

Her biggest roles in the last 10 years outside that have been recurring voiceovers in the Madagascar cartoon-movie series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jim Carrey if he had been slapped.

I would have announced this morning that I would be suing Will for $200m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I think Mr Smith wants us all to......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Good point. That’s what really stung Jada. Cruz/Bardem are a true Hollywood power couple, with equal billing. Getting cast for a remake of GIJane - a movie which marked the beginning of Demi Moore’s very rapid decline- was an insult which rubbed Jada’s nose in her “career”. Will didn’t get it at first but one look at Jada’s face and he had to do something or he was going to spend a month in the doghouse (a luxurious, pampered doghouse larger than most apartments but a doghouse nonetheless!)

Notice what those trying to mitigate Will’s offence are saying. In the past, such people would have said “That’s what you get when you insult a man’s wife”. Now it’s “Don’t insult a woman/ a woman of colour/ a woman with a disability”. Chris Rock didn’t insult her, he only make a mild joke at her expense, along with jokes about half the audience, but for some people that is not allowed nowadays.

I think Chris Rock handled himself very well in a shocking situation. But here’s a thought. If he had reflexively punched back and floored Will Smith, as he would be entitled to do in self defence, he would have achieved a level of fame that would exceed all of last night’s Oscar winners combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I think the Italian for Will Smith is Eugene Pontecorvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

When Frances McDormand was making her acceptance speech in 2018 having just won Best Actress, she demanded the room stand to recognise and celebrate all of the women in film. Invoking the disgusting hypocrite, Meryl Streep to lead the way. “Come on Meryl, if you do it, they all will”.

The very same Meryl Streep who led the way at the Academy Awards when they gave a standing ovation to a convicted and confessed child rapist, Roman Polanski.

Hollywood is a cesspit of the very worst of human kind. Weinstein was only exposed and disposed of in the end because his usefulness to others had reached its end.

They lecture us on climate change yet whizz around in private jets. The preach about BLM from within their privately secure gated communities.

You'd nearly excuse what awful people they are if the films they make nowadays weren’t dull, preachy drivel.

Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

There was also a long running plot about a joke made about someone’s wife

what I do find odd, is that people who often cite toxic masculinity as one of the major problems in the world are mostly the same people defending Will Smith.

The dickhead couldn't control himself and made himself look like a **** lunatic.

I am actually glad he did that. If he had done nothing but then verbally torn Chris Rock to shreds in his acceptance speech for an unwarranted and unnecessary insult and called that the world to be a kinder place, he would have been untouchable and it would have been the best night of his career.

Now we can all see he is a henpecked prick.

Damn she is a fine woman, what I would do to her, to be her everyman. I can’t believe she is with that Pratt

• Advertisement

You have it in one my friend . They are vile most of them and they live in a dark and poison-making world, lots of preyi g on children, blood money and that’s before you get to the occult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Jada had a prominent role in Gotham the tv series. Can’t remember her being in anything else really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

you’d wonder has Chris R “tapped that” as the vernacular has it, and big Willy style knows well that he is taking the proverbial

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Best speech ever and no one would dare attack Ricky why? cos he actually spoke the truth ! Every utterence was based on fact. Go Ricky bravest of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's mad.....forever more Will Smith will only ever be remembered for being a thug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah get ta ****.

I enjoyed his monologue. He's quite funny.

But to think he is "speaking truth" is bullshit.

There is nothing brave about him. He is part of the same crowd, his schtick is to be "the outspoken one".

Gladly taking money from an industry he pretends to hate.

Frankie Boyle is another pathetic example of it.

I like Gervais, but to think he is some renegade outlier who speaks truth is naïve at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Advertisement

Thuggish behaviour! Thug

sure his son reaffirmed it with his tweet after it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Have deleted some of the more, shall we say, ‘out there’ comments. If the thread continues to drift ever more off topic, we will likely close it down if it has run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

How does pressing charges work in California's system? I thought the prosecutor filed charges

The LAPD have said that Chris rock declined giving a statement but no statement is needed as the evidence is all there. I think the prosecutor has the final say but don't need the Hassel of taking on a pr machine that big.

Not true.

He will also be remembered for the interview his wife gave him while she explained how she was having sex with another man.

It's remarkable that showing yourself to be an unhinged lunatic by slapping the host of the Oscars in which you won an award for best actor, is not the most embarrassing thing to happen to you.

She is hotter than raging inferno, he is a petulant child, no wonder she wanders

but does she really have alopecia?? anyone i know with the condition is as bald as a coot...she just looks like she's shaved her head😶

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Have to say I have zero respect for rap as a musical form.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Amy Schumer must be worried about getting a slap from LeBron James's wife.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yes. She's talked about it since 2018.

My Mother has it too, been getting steadily worse for her since 2019. She's hugely self-conscious about it, so i can see how it would cut close to the bone.

Elsewhere - I see a lot of people commenting on how Smith thought it was hilarious at first - it's worth recognising that the default 'mode' at these things is to laugh along amiably at whatever is said. The show is for everyone at home watching on tv - the 'performance' of the audience of celebrities is almost as big a part of the show as those on stage. It's not a show for their in-person audience, it's a show featuring their in-person audience.

So I'm not too surprised by it taking a moment for the severity/annoyance of what Rock said to sink in. Wouldn't go along with the "he thought it was hilarious till Jada made him do something" thing... I mean, for one thing, he didn't seem like a guy acting with reluctance at any point during what he did.

Are The Academy still investigating, I mean how much investigation is needed before they make a decision/ruling, it was live on air so plenty footage

he may be asked to come back next year as the car valet? 😉

There is a growing body of evidence that the late rapper Tupac Shakur forced Will Smith to assault Chris Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think there are different degrees of it, or possibly different stages of it. I think it was affecting her hair enough that she shaved her head. So her head looks shaved (which may be why Chris Rock might not have known she had alopecia), but she still has alopecia.

• Advertisement

A big part of their investigation would be their own response to it; why didn't they kick him out, what was security like, how could they have dealt with it better etc. It's not about whether or not the slap happened.

No, the assaulted person can choose not to press charges against the other person, I think depending on the severity of the crime/assault. Maybe there's a difference between terms like "pressing charges" by the victim and "filing charges" which would be probably be done by the prosecutor in making it an official case, I'm not sure. Either way, the decision at this stage lies with Chris Rock, and the LAPD have said he has 6 months to ask the LAPD to open a case on it.

There's no way the LAPD would just decide it's not worth the hassle and not press charges, as it'd be even more of a hassle if they didn't proceed with it given that it was broadcast on live TV and everyone saw it. All eyes would be on them and questions raised about why they're not arresting him. It would be an open and shut case, likely plead guilty to, and Smith would likely get away with a fine or something.

Maybe I missed part of Rock's comments, but did the word alopecia even get said, or the word bald etc?

Were Rock's comments possibly misconstrued, or exaggerated by the Smith's.

Eiher way, Smith's reactions were that of a thug.

c'mon now not a thug, i don't condone what he did - but if he was a thug he would have punched him or headbutted him

but a slap with a open hand is hardly thuggish behaviour - maybe he's going through alot of stress in his life at the mo, marital problems?

No, he just joked about her starring in GI Jane 2. It is a pretty obvious reference to her shaved head though, as that movie is pretty much only known for Demi Moore shaving her head for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The joke was unambiguously about Jada's hair - GI Jane is a legendary flop primarily remembered for Demi Moore shaving her head for the role.

Whatever about Smith's reaction (which I haven't seen many people defending), the joke was not misconstrued.

• Advertisement
Advertisement