Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭green daries

No just no .it most certainly has not always been. For god's sake your a learned lad who seems fairly smart (and I genuinely mean that ) please don't make that mistake and believe that it's the way it always was.

Yes siamsa that is a very good point. A very important point

Thank you danzy I knew the likes of yourself would have the figures on it .it's shocking when you think of it it really has destroyed our products buying power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tis why I avoid "catering" chicken when dining out. I was referring more to the situation with fruit and veg in the likes of Lidl - for a few cents more I think most people would choose an Irish Head of Broccoli over a Spanish one which is what the survey I linked too was pointing at.

Yes it sickens me to see people who worked hard and produces such quality food being brought so low by greed In society they do call the GAA the grab all association ..........but the rest of the general public are much worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

We're talking about different things.

People will make a few cutbacks on their spending when they've less spare money. That has always been the way.

So less steak at €20ish a kg and more chicken, pork or mince/processed meats for less than half the price.

That will be what keeps beef prices from soaring in tandem with grains as people will happily take what for most will be a barely noticeable cut, to free up some cash.

The same will happen with own barnd lines vs branded products across more than food.

Ye seem to be off on a different tangent relating to percentage of income spent on food which isn't what I'm referring to at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You keep forgetting that Chicken and pork are more dependent on grain than beef in Ireland. As well you forget the EU is a complete market and Irish beef competed mainly with feedlot beef. Feedlot beef production will drop considerably unless prices increase substantially It the reason that beef price has increased at present.

Chicken especially and pork have followed grain prices up because retailers were not taking the margin they were off beef. Chicken has risen by 59%+ already pork similarly. You are seeing the food counter chicken follow it as well and we have not seen the effect of present price rises yet.

Yet beef has not as the massive margin processor's and retailers were taking is allowing them to hold the price.

I think the first place people will cut back is in eating out. Prices have increased by 20-25% since pre COVID. Recently we were away with the lads in a rented house we had dinner in one night steak, prepared potatoes and veg out if SuperValu wine desert. Total Inc wine 12-13/ head. The other two nights we were in restaurants steak were 30 euro plus one night and a ten euro supplement the other night on a 40 euro meal.

Slava Ukrainii

"Yet beef has not as the massive margin processor's and retailers were taking is allowing them to hold the price."

That point there is a sign that the top end of the market is weak.

It's the bottom end of the market where the increases are happening.

Chicken and pork can still increase quite a bit more while still being able pull market share away from the top end.

The problem for beef prices is that the bottom of the market won't drive returns to the farmer.

Things might move up but margins will continue to be squeezed hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The bottom.endbog the market is where mince and stewing competes with chicken especially and pork. Remember there is fewer choices out there Fish is exceedingly expensive. Farmed salmon is now is just about cheaper than steak and that the s down to portion size.

During the last recession after 6-12 months where chicken was dominant ( and this was in an era of cheap grain prices 130-140/ ton off the combine) beef came back stronger than ever as people got bored eating chicken and pork and found it tasteless. As well chicken is on the menu 3-4 time a week in most houses already. Pork 1-2 times. Beef is generally on the menu only 1-2 times a week. It's hard to see that dropping much further.

As wel and I go back to it beef production in feedlots will drop like a stone if prices do not rise in tandem with grain prices. You already see pig producers cribbing and crying. They are looking for 100 million in support. This was what we got in a BEAM scheme when beef was on the floor

Food prices are going one way and grain prices are deciding that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

"Food prices are going one way and grain prices are deciding that."

And we're only at the start of it. Less grain is being sown in Ukraine so there'll be less to harvest in Aug/Sept. Less fertiliser is being spread here (and elsewhere in Europe I assume) so the yield is likely to be lower in Aug/Sept. The ship of higher prices has sailed but people won't see the really big impact for a few more months.

The question is, will fertiliser price drop back in a few months and we'll return to somewhat "normal" or are we in an environment now where €300/ton for fertiliser is viewed as a historic happy-hour?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

There will be political pressure to keep food prices low so theres that.....I'd be thinking it will revert to what it was medium to long term.....

So cheap food and producer kept on life support if they can wrangle that.

Fertilizer will be at a similar price or higher this time next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If that's the case, people might be more likely to cut back on numbers at that stage. Plenty farmers, myself included, will gauge how this year goes and try to ride things out. But facing into a second year of it (and possibly more) might cause people to reassess then.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Still going to cut #'s here this Spring. If stock prices fall next year, and everyone decides to sell then, great, I can buy back cheaper. If they don't fall, I don't feel I'll have lost anything with the predictions regarding inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I think try keep numbers the same if possible this year. All this negative talk we hear everywhere is turning farmers against farming. Give it 12 months I reckon. Cut back then if it's no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It now looks increasingly like the Russians will pull back to the Donbass and the area between Russia and Crimia - so according to a tweet from the Ukraine Agri ministry early this week, close to 80% of crops will be sowed which should take alot of pressure off this year

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Yup the War is over as we know it and will become localised in the Donbas region like it was before all this blew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

The war was only a handy excuse for politicians. This crap was caused by bad policy for years. If you shut down power plants and treat food producers like dirt then you will have energy and food shortages. My 8 year old could tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Absolutely agree that we're only at the start of it. The cost of covid restrictions in Ireland was close to €50,000 per head. If you disrupt supply chains and pay a huge chunk of your population to stay at home for the guts of two years, you can't expect there not to be enormous economic repercussions.

Central banks are printing money at a massive rate to pay for this.

Money printing = inflation and regardless of whether Russia left Ukraine tomorrow, that inflation will be with us for several years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I killed ones from the end of last year this Jan instead.

Didn't replace, I think a lot of lads will cut stock numbers this side of winter.

If it is a bad grass year it could turn in to a rout.

I think next year or the year after could be the start of a lot of good cattle years.

I think if we had a bad year that an awful lot of reasonably or heavily stocked lads will just walk and keep bare numbers.

The problem for beef is one raised by Gawd in another thread here.

Dairy farmers on the continent will start to cull cows at a huge rate quite soon as they face the same grain bill as the beef feed lot.

This will ultimately depress European beef prices in the short to medium term.

The outlook for beef price after that culling phase is much more positive.

As someone said in a previous post, beef farming at the scale we do it here in Ireland will never be hugely profitability. Food prices will always be kept affordable to the public and also it's ruined with large processors. The powers at be know we will suffer away with small margins. The money beef farmers made in the 70s and early 80s will never seen again I believe. No Bord Bia crap back then and feed what you want with no questions 😉💰💰.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ginger22

The thing is Continental dairy farmers for the most part grow their own grain and maize so wont be under much pressure to destock unless the high grain prices tempt them to sell their grain rather than feeding it.

I wonder if there is any reasonable scale that is profitable in the Western world now, outside of corporate giants.

Lot of ranches in the States in trouble.

Beef may become the preserve of the global rich.

That's what they will do. Kill the cows and sell the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

And the thousands thinking the same as you will drive the price of beef through the floor, you're not alone in thinking this is a good plan, better off holding numbers while not replacing and seeing what the market does, cutting numbers at the same time as every other Tom, Dick and Harriet is neither a plan or smart

Russia and Ukraine will settle down. Things will become better in time. I am optimistic and want to see light at the end of the tunnel. As a wise man once said "your health is your wealth" Money will not buy health. Drive on the best way you can and keep the head down and don't be thinking about ranches in the states.

Lol. True.

The ponderosa will manage just fine.

It's worth stating that it is all playing on lads minds, and no wonder. I came across a ewe today that I lambed last year, head caught and choked in sheep wire.

It took a bit out me, more than I expected and down to worrying about the bigger picture and other things in my personal life. There will be plenty of us here who feel it all weighing down very heavy.

It's a lot of pressure to be under, and bottling up and saying nothing about.

It is a nfookijg mess but time will ease it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Advertisement