Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Not sure a day by day, week by week, month by month comparison would help gauge typical congestion at the time one wants to fly. Last Thursday could average 10 minute queues but next Thursday or the Thursdays across next month could have far more flights as summer schedules commence, it could be a Bank Holiday or midterm break so far more pax could be at the airport resulting in 90 minute waits for the same day or time. I think a guesstimate of windows eg 6am to 9am like some businesses (banks, popular restaurants etc) use to say when services are lighter or busier might help.

The wait time advised by the DUB app isn't great for advance planning either. It could say 10 mins when I leave my house but by the time I've driven to and parked in long term and arrived at the terminal on the shuttle bus, it could deteriorate to a 90 minute wait.

I think Covid related absenses are hampering things too. HSE today said there have been 100s of 1000s of cases in the past week and only a minority are being reported on the database. Such numbers must also be feeding into security staff absences.

It really is a perfect storm of a debacle....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They really could get a lot more interested in if they guaranteed more than 20 hours of work. Like at this stage surely they need permanent full time staff and mountains of them to get back up to the numbers needed.

It’s really unfair to have people up all night to make a short flight to UK or Europe to catch a morning flight. Makes the whole thing unbearable and very stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Already 40 minute queue in T1 before 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just to point out why they only give 20 hour contracts (and by no means do I support it because I used to be one of those on a 20 hour contract, not with the DAA but elsewhere in the airport, but same thing applies).

There is a morning peak for example from 0500-0900. If they need 100 people just for those 4 hours peak time then they will look for 100 x 20 hour contracts to be filled. If they were to appoint full time staff then they can only get 50 x 40 hour contracts filled for the same cost of labour. But then those 50 people would be doing 8 hour shifts, so once the peak is over they arent all needed from 0900-1300 and end up being over staffed.

Then there is an evening peak again. You could split the 100 x 20 hour staff, 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening to cover both peaks.

Not the consumer's problem? Eventually it is if the DAA increases their airport charges and it gets added onto the cost of a plane ticket.

Thats why at the start of COVID the DAA made generous offers to the staff thats been there and were on full time contracts, to get them out and get cheaper staff in now.

What I have seen some companies in the airport do if they have too many staff on full time contracts but not enough to cover the morning and evening peaks, is introduce split shifts. That means yes you get 40 hours a week, but you have to do 0500-0900 in the morning and again 1700-2100 in the evening for example. Absolute pain in the hole, or it was for me anyways.

And also, the government loves the 20 hour contracts, it gets twice as many people off social welfare and makes the unemployment numbers look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Hang on till we all take out our crystal balls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

It will almost definitely not be fixed for ages . DAA have dropped a massive ball in not staffing the completely expected surge in passenger numbers. I expect no manager to take any responsibility for this.

At the very least they could allow luggage dropoffs earlier than (-3) but the airlines would need to staff the desks accordingly and DAA would need to pay them to do it so that aint gonna happen as the DAA directors pension plan payments are more important

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

I took two flights to get to Munich from Cork last week (ORK to AMS, AMS to Munich), was still easier than going through the shithole that Dublin airport has become.

Very little food offerings in Cork airport as others have said, presumably due to lack of hiring, one small coffee shop and a pub that only serves crisps but does of course manage to lorry out the pints at all times of day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Split shifts nearly put me in an early grave and back then I was full time 40hrs contract, My company paid me a split shift allowance but I was totally drained.

DHL ramp lads also did split shifts and I know a lad driving for Dublin bus that does them, I've done all types of shift work and the split shifts was the worse, You also got to factor in the millage and fuel costs in as well.

As for checking in and going through security I arrived at the airport for 0300 and was through security by 0415 the other morning this was T1, The last two times I went through security as T2 last month and December and we sailed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I understand exactly why they do it from a cost point of view, but they are really missing out on the big picture stuff. It is a classic case of an accountant going to far and not zooming out and looking at the business on the whole.

If it requires staff to be there and resourced, then this is what is needed. The DAA are (in normal times) absolutely rolling it in. Over 30 million passengers, and they can't properly fund and pay decent salaries to a very important safety function.

Who cares if they are quiet for a few hours of the day? That is the nature of some jobs, mad rush and then very little. They are only being paid €14.14 per hour in Dublin. It's not huge money.

The bigger picture is the reputation of the airport. Every single person in the world LOVES an airport with good, fast security. This then lends the passenger to enjoy all the post security offerings. They have time and will spend money. Thus improving the attractiveness of concession units to operate there, as they have happy passengers who sailed through spending there.

Then you have the real point, security. God forbid if these, over worked, underpaid and disgruntled staff missed something serious. Then there is the reputational damage as well as a serious security risk on board.

I say it again, and airport with fast security (including peaks) is an attractive airport and will win more passengers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Very true bike man, I will never ever ever go through LAX again. Would do every route possible to avoid it, if you offered me free flights I’d still say no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I agree with all you say.

Think of it this way. They can get double the amount of staff at peak times by giving 20 hour contracts than if they give 40 hour contracts. In theory that should alleviate the pressure at peak times more, which is what everyone wants.

The people in charge of budgets call the shots at the end of the day, and if computer says no then they dont care. There is no bigger picture for them, just the picture on their computer in front of them.

I have had these fights in that very airport with those very types.

That doesnt mean they cant pay them more per hour of course, to make the 20 hours more attractive. But not without paying current staff more too. Cant have new staff on more money than existing staff.

DAA knows they have no real competition. The long security queues are proof of that. If people had a real alternative they wouldve voted with their feet. But with most of the population in Dublin, majority wont be driving to Belfast or Cork or Shannon, extra risk and expense and maybe even takes longer too, even if it means standing in a queue for a few hours for free in DUB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've got a flight on Saturday week at 6am from T1. I've seen some people posting about what flights are at what times. As a complete newbie, how can I figure out what the airport's busy-ness level at that time? I'd prefer not to wake up in the middle of the night just to check the app this Saturday!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Only just home, having done a pain of a day to Bristol and back so that we could sort out some messy bank account nausea related to a trust account that was needed to execute my step father's will.

Tuesday AM, I get a mail message from Ryanair telling me that I need to allow 3 and a half hours before departure to clear security, so in theory, I'm supposed to arrive at 0300 for a 0630 flight. In their dreams! Then, later in the day, I get a notification during check in to allow 2 and a half hours, so in the end, that was what we went with, we left home here just before 0400, and arrived at the Red Zone car park at 04:16.

That's the first aggravation. Use Area A the signs say, so I follow area A, and drive up and down a few rows with no success, made more difficult be people going the wrong way down one way rows. Not even sure how, but I ended up on a roadway that went in the general direction of the Exit, and just before the exit, there's an arrow to the left for Parking, and another sign saying use Area A. Only one problem, there's no way back to Area A from that point, without exiting the car park, and having paid to get into the damn thing, the last thing I'm going to do is trigger an exit at that point. So, I go round the Park route, and after several attempts to get into a parking area, having been blocked by closed barriers all over the place, I gave up and did what I'd seen other do a few minutes earlier, and ignored one of the supposed exits that was beside an empty row, and threw it in there. That's the first time I've used the remodelled Red Zone, and it's the last,hopefully quick Park will be reincarnated real soon, they were always completely on the ball, and had staff on duty to direct people to the parking spaces, whereas the Red zone had NOTHING to provide any sort of quidance to where there were actual spaces available. That meant that by the time we'd got the bus to the terminal, it was 04:45 before we were in the queue. The experience there was different to what it used to be, the queue would move maybe 50 metres, then stop for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then move again, and this went on throughout the security area, it seems that the queue before the boarding card check was being held to avoid overcrowding in the lead in to the active scanners.

Yes, DAA need more people on the ground, because the problem was that a significant number of scanners were not operational. That said, there was and is still a major issue at the scanner, which is that despite clear noticies up on the walls, telling people how to proceed through the scan stage, there were still significant numbers arriving at the belt, and only then starting to get their medications out of the case, and take off top coats, and boots, and put the relevant items in the scan trays, with the result that there were yet again delays because people were NOT ready when they got to the belts, and only when tney got there did they start preparing for the process, with the inevitable result of more delay.

Yes, DAA have once again made a mess out of things, but there are also considerable numbers of people that seem to be completely unaware of the basics of Airport security, and their ignorance and lack of preparation is serving to make a bad situation worse. We were eventually through the scan stage by 05:20, which meant that we had some 35 minutes "slack" in our schedule, better that way than late for the flight.

As for the validity of the way that airport security is operated, that's a subject for another time and place, partly because at 01:20 on Thursday morning, I need some sleep, and I can't make coherent sense of this right now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• You bet it will be BUSY early Saturday morning. Count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Dublin Airport app was updated to remove the security times...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I can still see security times (Android) and no update pending

Still working here

T1=10

T2=15

😀

Pretty much this, and Christ I wish more companies of all sizes would realise it. The money spent on recruitment is insane (different sector but my sister went through interviews the last few years and in one case we added up the people involved and time etc. and it was just ridiculous.

For airport security jobs, as someone pointed out, so what if it's quiet sometimes? Most jobs are at some point. Never get that sinking feeling working from home that maybe the email or chat program has crashed without you noticing because it's been 3 hours since you heard anything? :P

Do they all need to be full time? No. But a lot of them could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Mmm...odd, it is gone from my 2 devices.

Anyway, I downgraded the app to the previous version and I can see the again.

Classic DAA bunker management, hide the problem from the eyes of the media and therefore us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

My ios app for daa still has the waiting times

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Earlier this month when I was flying out of T1, it was the first time I noticed them intermittently pausing the boarding pass scanners before security to relieve congestion in the pre security queuing area. While it was busy, the overall wait time was only 20/25 minutes or so . This was a Thursday afternoon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

My contempt for the DAA only deepens, only a manager that knows that there would be no consequences for their action would decide that it's a good idea to remove from the public domain the figures that give a real time display of their incompetence. The security queue times have been removed from the app, so now, they can pretend that everything in the garden is rosy, and there's no problem with their service. What a sickening joke.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Blut2

The security queue times are still on my app, and apparently most others in this thread?

I've been checking it a few times a day for the last week to get an idea of queue times for an upcoming trip and the vast majority of the time they're under 15 minutes in both terminals, too. I've only seen it over 30minutes once.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Perhaps the reason those times have been removed is that they were not remotely accurate?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

That was my first thought. Very hard to accurately predict them atm I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I can still see the times (5 minutes both terminals) but there is an app update pending. I'm not planning on updating the app before I travel next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Updated to great test it and yes it's gone now.

Dreadful form from the DAA.

Flew last Saturday, was interesting that despite the queues and stress every second bag was "randomly" stopped for a check. There is a time and place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah I'd say thats gone for practical reasons - whatever sensors they use do not go as far back as the queue stretches so they would be utterly innaccurate (and could trigger legal problems).

Don't be coming to Cork for your flights please, I'm happy with our well run quiet little airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We are flying to Manchester at 6.30am this Saturday morning, we have fast track. What time realistically should we be at the airport. Not checking in bags, going straight to security with our boarding passes and a carry bag. I was thinking around 4am for a 6.30am flight should do.

Advertisement