Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why are posts being deleted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a post which called for GBH on someone was deleted, so further responses to that were also deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hmmm to be fair I don’t think anyone was calling for GBH.

I think what was said was that some day the lad is going to cross the wrong person and will suffer the consequences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Honestly I don't see the issue with Mikey,

Some people waste their lives watching tv or gettin drunk in the pub, if he wants to catch people doing illegal/dangerous stuff then so be it. If it saves a few lives by getting people to stop driving on wrong side of the road or to stop driving with mobiles then its all good.

One thing thats evident from the videos and from my own personal experience....many motorist see no wrong in the outright dangerous and illegal things they do. It's important they come to realise that people can and will report them for these things.

• Advertisement

One for those who tell us about how Mikey is bound to get murdered by an affronted aggressive driver one day - this is what we're up against;

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TBF, I spent my lockdown and a bit of time since targetting KOMs on Strava. This is infinitely more useful to society, so long as he isn't hurting anyone, let him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I cant conclusively say he is of benefit. Maybe if he reported without the backchat, but his ego really gets in the way sometimes.

What does his ego get in the way of ? Not his reporting or police or court actions, given that he has over 1,000 penalty points issued to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

As a matter of interest, I follow Righttobikeit who does the cycling Mikey thing in cork, Mikey blocked him on Twitter a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Exactly, who is he actually hurting at the end of the day.

The risk is to him and he knows that, he's a grown adult. He obviously accepts that risk especially given he's had people try run him over already.

I'm sure he has his faults but overall he's trying to do good and his actions are likely to save a person in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I think we had this discussion earlier in the thread. I think he winds people up unnecessarily and therefore he would be overall more successful* if he stopped the chat. I understand why he does it and I have sympathy for him, but think he'd be better off without it. As usual I wouldn't want to be the first cyclist one of his drivers meets after his encounters and/or after they receive the punishment.

*where success is measured in overall improvements to road safety, not the number of FPN or penalty points issued.

I suppose its one of those discussions where no one will ever be certain. Looking at the motors forum, the amount of drivers who get FPNs for random things and rather than learn from it, they wonder can they appeal, or they were only slightly speeding, or they were only a, b or c. I wouldn't do it myself but on the same note, I'll confront someone who puts me in danger, and that is equally if not more stupid. The drivers here, if he didn't have a word with them, will just keep a tighter eye out for a copper on the corner rather than just improve their driving so while I wouldn't do it, I would say on balance, he is having a net positive, albeit probably minor as the same with speed cameras here, people will learn to not mess around that junction and then do it elsewhere. I could be wrong though, maybe they will all learn from their FPNs only but I would make an educated guess and say no.

They both do. No point in having a cam and chanell and no product. Like all these, they try to force an issue, make a problem, like the cars that speed up to the roundabout to catch some one coming in front of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He doesn't do the same thing though. In fact righttobikeit has plenty of wrong doings that he's done in some videos. There was a somewhat infamous YouTuber in Dublin years ago that was the same.

Fair enough point out indiscretions etc , but you have to take it on board when you're doing glaringly obviously silly or plainly wrong things too.

I don't like cycling Mikey, but I at least think he generally takes care to not do what would be classed as above

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes I would agree. I don't like either but Mikey does do it with more professionalism if that's the way to put it. The lad in cork just can never ever be in the wrong, even if he is he will not admit it. Seen some ridiculous stuff on his Twitter page.

He cycled down the middle of cork city on his road bike, whipped past a few pedestrians on the cycle lane and threw up the video bitching that they were on the cycle lane. When Mikey pointed out he needed to be more careful around pedestrians he couldn't admit he was wrong so he ended up blocked. As far as I could see at the time anyway!

There is definitely an "emboldened by the camera" element to both though and it's something you see a lot in the dashcam compilations on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

As an advocate for safety on the road cyclingmikey sure has double standards by not wearing a helmet.

When called out on it he says they're ineffective which is absolute BS. More likely he couldn't be arsed wearing it and putting one on now would be an admission of guilt. Now that's an ego.

• Advertisement

Admission of what guilt exactly? (other then in your brain) He's under no legal obligation to wear one and he's not wrong about saying they are inaffective, even company's like pedalme agree with him.

Even if we look at how most cyclists die (HGV's) helmets will do zip about your body being crushed by a HGV.

They are only rated to a 1.5meter drop (so the height you are standing) and to about a 25km/hour speed. You'd find a a lot of road bike users exceed this speed and if a motorists hits a cyclist the speed of the impact wil far far exceed this speed. Studies have shown that motorists actually close pass cyclists who wear helmets more and they create a false sense of safety for a cyclists so they are more inclined to take risks. All in all, they create a perception that cycling is dangerous when it is not.

Bottom line is, cycle helmets are simply not the solution you think they are. If they were we'd see massive amounts of cycle deaths in the Netherlands. The reality is the have much, much, much lower then basically every other country.

Helmets would benefit motorists more in reality. But you'd feel like an idiot calling out every motorists for not wearing one. I guess they are all guilty eh?

MOD VOICE: There is a helmet debate megathread where such discussions can be had, this is not the place. He is not breaking any laws and there are several viewpoints, none of which we are dragging up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Emboldened by the camera? RTBI isnt or otherwise would ride in primary the whole time. I've even suggested for his own safety to take that position but he obviously safer at the left of primary

'Make a problem'?

Does our Cork friend 'make' drivers overtake him dangerously close?

Does our London friend 'make' drivers pick up their phone and operate Tinder while they're driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

If you watch a few UK dashcam videos it's quite clear that many of the drivers recording them prefer to charge into a situation leaning on the horn and shouting, rather than simply easing off on the throttle as a competent driver would do. So in that sense, yes, they do make a problem where there doesn't have to be a problem.

Incidentally, I lived in the UK for a year 20 years ago and went cycling for an hour almost every day, and I didn't have a a single instance of close passing, left hooking, drivers pulling out in front of me or anything like that. The last time I was there, about 5 years ago, some clown passed me with centimetres to spare on the Menai Bridge that links Holyhead to the mainland (the carriageway is narrow and overtaking is not permitted). I get the impression that the UK has become a very angry place over the last couple of decades, and we'll probably go the same way.

Just to be clear, are you talking about drivers in general, or the two calming cyclists under discussion, when you say that they make a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I'm not talking about drivers in general. Most drivers don't post videos of themselves speeding into a situation and then screaming and shouting like a lunatic.

I'm also not talking about Cycling Mikey or Righttobikeit, because I've never watched any of their videos, so I can't say anything about them.

If they are behaving in a fashion similar to the dashcam nutjobs, then I would have to say yes, they are making a problem. If they are just reporting driving offences, then great, fair play to them, I support that.

Ehm, there's definitely been vids of our "cork friend" failing to merge properly, or felt his indication was right of way when we all know and argue plenty on here that indication is not right of way.

He's got piss poor situational awareness at times for someone who likes to highlight such

That's not my memory of it. My memory was of him indicating and changing lane well in front of the van, but the van driver taking a mickey fit at the possibility of a cyclist being in front of him for a few seconds.

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

He had the lane, gave it up and then tried to take it back assuming he could and had right of way. It was **** cycling/roadcraft whatever you want to call it.

Didn't disagree about it being bad driving, but he had a hand in the video youre referring to as was highlighted at the time. He knew he was approaching a pinch point too.

Advertisement