Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

Kyrgios is just asking for a point deduction now

.... and given

8 tie-breaks in a row for sinner

Kyrgios has lost the plot

What a gobshite

Game violation now - on his own service game

Starts a break down in the second set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Typical of Kyrgios. He just threw away the set.

Is he looking to default the match?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kyrgios being a dick, no news there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You'd always pity the players like Sinner who have to play inside this circus, but looks like he's getting on with things for now.

Oh there's been a game penalty also.

What a moron? No need for it either. All this because he is feeling the pressure and nothing to do with the umpires walkie talkie going off.

• Advertisement

Sinner playing a great game and keeping his focus despite the carry on kyrgios

Kyrgios showed again that all the talk of wasted talent is moot

He doesn't have the mentality for it

Alcaraz - Tsitsipas rematch later on

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Krygios is a right twat, he was dissing one of the games most respected umpires, tosser, I was actually up for him he is an entertaining guy - but today he pushed it too much, he could have had the moaning about the court speed and crowd without bitching about the umpire.

At the end I was glad the Sinnster won.

Kyrgios is a waster plain and simple. He is always looking for something to get angry about, same with the Nadal match and again today. In both games it was something stupid that gave him the slimmest of excuses to act up, today it was the umpires walkie talkie going off but even before that happened you could see him looking for a reason. He would be a shrinks wet dream, imagine trying to get into his head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not excusing NK, but that was amateur hour from the umpire. He didn't seem to do much in the way of apologising for it, but I didn't see the whole match, so may have missed it. They should start docking points every time players smash or throw racquets or hit anything with them. Its setting an awful example for young kids.

• Advertisement

Amazing first set of tennis last night in the Alcaraz Tsits match.

I think that time is already starting to run out for the Djokovic's, Nadal's and even the current gen next-gen.

It might take a little longer in terms of development but Alcaraz is approaching scary (for them) game-changing levels of tennis at still 18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

An injured 35 year old Nadal beat him only a few weeks ago in IW, so I think Djokovic and Nadal have nothing to fear for a while yet. What Alcaraz is showing us, however, is simply how poor the rest of the field is. Despite all the hype and promise, there has been a lot of false dawns for Zverev, Tsitsipas, etc. and Alcaraz is simply bypassing "next gen". Quality player and, at only 18, is going to improve but some of the hyperbole I've been reading online (not here) is ridiculous.

We'll see

That match Vs Nadal was very close

Could easily have gone Alcaraz's way

It hinged on one game in the third set

Anybody who actually watched the match knows that

And Alcaraz learns

There is a little development to go as I said but not so much

His serve is still not 100%

He will get broken but he breaks also and his serve is improving with significant improvements over the last 5 months

The big servers like Medved could cause him some problems but he'll figure it out

He has all the ingredients and they are coming together quite rapidly

Watch the first set last night

Tsitsipas was playing very well but Alcaraz turned the level up to 100

Alcaraz is playing better tennis than any of the big 3 were at the age he is at

I'm not saying that he's going to win 20 slams as that would be rubbish to say at this point but he is showing brilliant levels

He won't have Nadal's 2005 clay court season because clay but that doesn't make that statement untrue

He's getting better and better. And obviously will only improve over the next couple of years

Barring injury his rise to no 1 is inevitable and within 2 years most likely I think.

That point (at the start of this piece) looks even more impressive on the youtube highlights

The all-court movement, touch, precision and power shown in this match was astounding

He's not going to be like this every match but to see a teenager bully a top player like that on the ATP (who was actually playing very well in the first set before becoming over-powered) is something.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I agree with a lot of that. He certainly has all the ingredients to win multiple titles and dominate, and will surely be No.1 at some stage. I just take issue with the OTT stuff I'm reading elsewhere, for example "this kid is going to destroy all Big3 records, etc." Probably just trolling, but infuriating nevertheless.

What sets the Big3 apart from other legends, apart from unreal skill and athleticism, is their longevity, determination and commitment. We have rarely seen anything like them in other sports. Alcaraz could, and probably will dominate, but as Barty (and Osaka to a degree) has shown, maintaining form across multiple years (or decades in the case of the Big3) requires herculean effort. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

I agree with a lot of that but I take issue with the rarely seen in other sports, unless I've misunderstood your point 🙂

Tom Brady, Ronaldo/Messi, Shefflin, Redgrave, Nicklaus, Dettori, ...

Most of the 'great' athletes have had long careers in their sport. But that's for another thread

Hence my comment re time is running out for the Big 2 (Federer is gone it's pretty safe to say) to win many more slams with Alcatraz coming so I don't see what was mad about that observation

It's not inconceivable that Alcaraz (barring injury proviso etc) with his athleticism and all-court game, and developing mental strength could be in a position to beat Nadal at RG or Djokovic (depending on his mental comeback from the Australian Gov shambles) at Wimbledon by next year (2023) and time is running out for Nadal and Djokovic

Obviously the five set game is a different kettle-of-fish but in Alcaraz's case I think that it's certain that we're not dealing with a Zverev!

It's pretty obvious even at this stage that he's a generational talent

Nick Kyrgios comes out in defence of Raducanu on perceived criticism (and other recent one-hit wonders in terms of what Clijsters said )

Can't see what was that inflammatory in terms of what was said tbh

A real voice of authority and respect to have in your corner!

I wish people waited until Raducanu actually played a full season, or even half of one, until they described her as a "one-hit wonder".

• Advertisement

To be fair the other "one-slammers" of recent times, they showed more form/wins compared to what Raducanu has shown.

Even Andreescu, who was also quite young and unknown until that year and then had a knee injury later.

She's a one-hit wonder until she's not - at least until she comes close to stringing a few matches together.

As Clijsters said ->

Four-time Grand Slam champion Kim Clijsters was also critical of Raducanu following her Miami exit.

The Belgian former world No. 1 said: "We’ve seen others that kind of take a step back and say, `Oh, I’ve won a Slam now, I’ve made it.

"'There’s sponsors coming in and I get treated like a princess wherever I go.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf both Djokovic and Nadal are in their mid thirties with huge mileage on the clock, it's not really a stretch to say their time is running out, they are at the age where their levels could (it might not) drop significantly in 12-18 months, drop enough that other top 10 players will start to regularly beat them without their own level improving. At the same time Alcaraz will obviously improve more and is likely to have overtaken the next gen guys in the next 18-24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

He is the future for sure.

But, I'm concerned he will be too good ... I'd like to see for a while some mixed champions, I feel this guy could win about 16 slams in a row in a few years ! :D

Yes that's exactly what I was saying except for the fact that Alcaraz coming on so strong accelerates the effect

Medvedev loses to The Hurk in the Miami 1/4's

Djokovic remains World Numero Uno

Hopefully Djokovic is in some decent shape both physically and mentally, to be able to hit the clay-court season and get back to playing some actual tennis

What most people want to see at this stage

The Australians can seek to humiliate and then deport Djokovic after telling him to come but can now look forward to that guy who makes toddlers looks composed, Nick Kyrgios, having an extended home-stay there for the best part of a few months - nice one!

No better place for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hubie puts out Medvedev in 2. Med clearly struggling with illness of some sort.

Djokovic holds on to #1 by ten points!

Fair play to Hurkacz for mounting such an impressive title defense, I think lot of people assumed he wouldn't get this far.

Osaka being taken apart by Bencic so far.

After getting kick out of Oz back in January, Djokovic would not have expected to be world #1 heading into the clay-court season.

Last year, he exited Monte Carlo, Serbia and Rome at the 3rd round, semis and final respectively.

Unlikely to improve on that, but he might go close to equaling it.

Medvedev missed nearly all of the clay-court season last year due to Covid, so although he struggles on the surface, he could make gains to Djokovic's losses.

And that's before we consider the 2000 points Djokovic is defending at the FO.

So I think Medvedev will be #1 by the time Wimbledon comes around.

Post edited by josip on

Ah yeah.

Sort of amusing that he's world number 1 at all considering this year

• Advertisement

The 45 miserable points he won in Dubai made all the difference 🙂

Advertisement