Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Councillor Frank Fahy argues pedal cyclists also need to obey the rules of the road.

Nobody said otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yup. Would be nice to see some general ROTR enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

For all that use the road, not just motorists.

Goes both ways

Just motorists have no meaningful ways to report as cyclist arent identifyable unless there were already known....

But continue to paint your brush.... As if cyclists are angels and motorist is the devil.

If you want change then get elected along with other like minded Individuals with a mandate. Some of those sitting have agendas, get them replaced and you have a chance. Good luck in getting the votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

I had some twat on a bike giving out to me for standing in the bike lane waiting to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was there a footpath to stand on while waiting to cross the road?

I mean, you wouldn't stand in the road while waiting to cross the road, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Agree that giving out to you isn't the best approach but standing in a cycle lane waiting to cross is still not a clever thing to do. I think most people wouldn't decide to stand in a bus lane if a bus was coming towards them so I don't see why it should be different to be standing in a cycle lane with someone on a bicycle coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's great news for burglars and those who carry out violent assaults - that they can't be reported to Gardai because they weren't wearing a reg plate.

Most cyclists will tell you that they see plenty of asshole cyclists around.

The difference between asshole cyclists and asshole drivers is 1-5 tonnes of metal and 20-150 kmph.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Advertisement

The council executive up to shenanigans again. Basically they are going to do up a report which will say we can bring in 30k limits, but we won't do x, y or z then. No doubt they'll put some high profile project as being blocked because of speed limit sign changes.

I live in hope that this will not be the case but Brendan McGrath, City Council Chief Executive, has form in using slimey tactics

wow, someone just has a brain cell....

garda will always investigate burglaries when reported, most times no prosecutions only if they are lucky with cctv or they get a decent lead.

Garda will not waste their time if motorist calls in to log a complaint about a cyclist, it may be logged but nothing will come of it. however if a compliant comes against a motorist and they have a reg plate the work is already done. Garda ask's motorist, motorist will deny (if they don't their an idiot) and unless there is cctv evidence its just one word over another. case closed.

in some countries i've being to, if you act like an asshole on the road you get run over and the police will just laugh at you. If the mindset changes people would actually think first before doing. Not many have a brain cell here

Instead of the mentality i will go infront of this car and they will stop, if they don't it's an easy insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That some people think cyclists are looking to be hit by cars for insurance claims truly demonstrates the disease or the brain that is being a motorist on Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you’re saying that the professional opinion of the Gardai is that offences by cyclists in traffic are a very minor issue in the overall scheme of things, and it wouldn’t be a good use of resources to go chasing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This thread is about Galway city traffic and the constant gridlock that's caused by cars.

But everyone's talking about bicycles. That don't cause gridlock in any city.

Go Galway!!

To be fair to the council exec, if they have a full plan for the year then they can't magically find time for new things without bumping something else. The full article gives a bit more context I think. They could probably do it if they really wanted to but I'm fine with it being next year if they think it needs to be.

Enforcement (or lack there of) will be the issue though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Why can’t they tow those cars or at least clamp them? That’s absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

A large percentage of cyclists are also drivers. They understand both worlds.

A large percentage of cyclists on here are car drivers and owners, but post like they've never been inside one, never mind drive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How does one post like theyve "been inside a car owner"?

Bit crude for this kind of forum tbh

Well, ya got me timmy. No more double entendres for me.

I find that spending more time cycling has changed the way I drive. Now I stick to 50kph where that's the speed limit, including Bothar na dTreeabh and the Quincentenary Bridge. I'll sit patiently behind people on bicycles until it's safe to overtake, and then do a proper overtaking manoeuvre (indicate, pull out, indicate, pull back in), rather than 'close passing' someone on a bike. I stop when traffic lights turn orange and also stop to let pedestrians cross where there isn't a pedestrian crossing. And I'll stay in the straight ahead lane with my indicator switched on to turn left, if there is no room to move completely into the left filter lane, rather than sticking my nose into the filter lane, completely blocking the bike lane and leaving my arse in the straight ahead lane.

Some of this is just politeness, but most of it is a legal requirement. Either way it still seems to piss off drivers behind me all too frequently. Maybe it sounds alien to you as a way to drive but I prefer to just think of it as not being an asshole.

Congratulations. But I always drove that way. I cycled or bused everywhere till my late 20s, so I was always aware of the perils of cycling in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why only up to your 20's?

I think a lot of people are in the same boat in this Country. They have a cut off point when they used to walk, cycle & public transport, IMHO i think it definitely helps to see it regular. That is why I reckon driving standards on the Continent are better, the vast majority of people continue with all modes throughout there adult lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

For most people, once you buy a house or rent somewhere large enough for a family, you will not be living close to work or city centre anymore.

Its slowly, REALLY slowly, starting to dawn on our elected officials that we need to change how we do things in relation to getting people from A to B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I cycle too and less about the city but what grinds my gears with cyclists is on the weekends when they are 3 or 4 people wide spanning from the hard shoulder to about 1m from the line in the middle of the road. It isn't hard to slow down and wait for a passing when they are 1 or 2 wide but the larger recreational groups can be really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That should not stop one from cycling,walking (or even taking public transport if one lives in Galway City) for most people.

If you have a family they have to goto Creche/School, usually people pick the local one.

Why not start there - walk (under 1.5k)/ cycle(under3/4k) on the creche/school drop off when the days are bright and dry.

Ya gonna start somewhere, people just develop habits and find it hard to get out of them, the first lockdown of the Pandemic in Spring 2020 showed that up for sure.

• Advertisement

I have an issue with groups that ride more than two abreast. There's no need for it except in organised rides like the monthly Salthill Community Cycle that has Gardai front and back directing the participants to bunch up. But I've also noticed drivers getting their knickers in a twist on Twitter about groups riding three or four abreast, and posting pictures that they think clearly demonstrate the case. They don't seem to realise that, just because they can see the backs of more than two cyclists, it doesn't automatically follow that there are cyclists riding more than two abreast. I can't seem to find the video right now but someone did a clever montage combining the view from behind a bunch of cyclists with a view from a drone flying directly above them to illustrate this point. The drone view showed that the group were cycling in pairs, two abreast the whole way up, but because they weren't lined up exactly like soldiers on parade, the view from behind looked like they were three or four abreast.

Then you get the complaints that cycling two abreast is inconsiderate, even though it is completely legal, because it is holding up traffic. But the reality in most cases is that cycling two abreast should hold up traffic less for drivers who are overtaking legally. In a 3m wide traffic lane a driver performing a legal overtake of someone on a bike is going to need to enter the oncoming lane. Say the bike is 50cm from the kerb, the bike is 65cm wide, and you need to allow 1m space when passing, that means the left wing mirror of the car should be 2.15m out from the kerb. Then, in a 2m wide car, a little more than half of the car width needs to be over the centre line. So, if you need to be over the centre line in any case, having the group of cyclists two abreast means that the group is only half as long as if they were travelling single file so the passing driver can complete the manoeuvre more quickly and has more opportunities to do so rather than having to wait for a longer straight stretch of road and a longer gap in oncoming traffic.

Arguably the same logic applies to a group riding 3 or 4 abreast; that it should be easier to overtake because the body that needs to be passed is only one third as long, or one quarter as long, as if they were travelling single file. But it's illegal so it shouldn't be happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement