Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Can Parrott just start games from now on?

We can drop Knight into midfield to make room in the front 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The definition of ......no more than they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Definitely deserved overall. If we'd scored earlier it could have been 3 or 4 nil in truth. King Kenny marches on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,474 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Those possession and passes stats are nuts

Lithuania were garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A bit lacklustre at times. The manager giving game time to squad players which makes sense in games like this.

Great strike from Parrott. Would be brilliant to see him begin to make the most of the undoubted talents he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

Definitely deserved the win. Think this game was good for us to be honest as in any qualifying group you'll have to win probably 4 games against teams like this who are just parking the bus and prove very awkward to break down.

4 offside goals is pretty historic stuff I'd imagine, all the correct calls but on another night at least 2 of those players manage to keep themselves onside and we win easily. Had plenty of other chances too.

Think he was right not to rotate too much, need guys to get used to playing together and get an understanding of each other and the system etc. Would learn nothing with 11 changes from Saturday. Thought Parrott was great when he came on even before that unbelievable winner, his movement and link up and ability to get shots off was streets ahead of Keane who I wouldn't call up again. Would have Connolly or Obafemi over him all day.

Now if all that seems a bit positive let me finish this by saying Lithuania were very, very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"King Kenny". 🤣 Are you having a laugh? He's no king. "Marches on". They limped over the line with the last kick of the game after 97 minutes at home against a team ranked 137 in the world.

And there's only one King Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tough watch for most of it. Will keane is shite. Hourihane cant take frees or corners. Parrott is starting to develop nicely.

• Advertisement

And Keane and McClean. Really poor the 3 of them. Dreadful. Yeh with a bit of luck Kilkenny and possibly Smallbone get moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hopefully lessons learned from that game. As another poster said, we are going to have to beat teams like this probably at least 4 times in every qualification campaign, so we need to find out a way to create better quality chances against them.

I thought Collins looked very comfortable and would have no problem with him becoming a regular, it's a matter of time. Ogbene looked good again and has nailed his place in our team in this window. Didn't think Browne was too bad but midfield was and will be an issue.

Delighted for Parrott, he looked very lively coming off the bench and his goal was fantastic. Keane didn't impress at all but don't want to be too critical on his second or third game.

Another night of feeling good leaving the aviva, a win, a clean sheet, 8 games unbeaten. But ultimately a bit of a grounding night and shows the nations league could really go either way.

He was under no pressure at any point in the game and still needed a geological eon to play a pass. And his much vaunted set pieces didn't make up for it.

Surely we have enough with Cullen, Knight, Brown, Hendrick, McGrath and even Molumby to not need him again regardless of whether the likes of Kilkenny or Smallbone come through or not?

Gotta say I'm a tiny bit worried about right wing back too. Doherty seems to have a lively 10 - 15 minute spell a game, but otherwise doesn't impact it. Who have we got after him, since Coleman doesn't really have the legs anymore? Christie who's barely featured under Kenny?

I know Ebosele is waiting in the wings, but he is only a kid.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah I see the thread is going to be full of the negative nellies again. Glad to have you all back after a year of positivity.

Ireland teams in the past would not have got the result. I don't think it's reflection on Kenny's managerial style because teams in the past would have absolutely tried as hard, but he really is riding the crest of a wave at the moment and it can only be a good thing.

We needed a game like that, and I'd much rather it come in a friendly than in a competitive fixture.

Josh Cullen and Jeff Hendrick is the midfield. Browne and Hourihane weren't up to it again. Browne makes some great forward runs but it just wasn't happening for him again. Hourihane is a passenger who is good at set pieces but even then he was shocking at them tonight. That experiment needs to end.

Bring in Festy Ebosele and Zak Elbouzedi. Two direct runners who are going to be crowd-pleasers. The latter is playing exceptionally in Sweden and we need to get these lads in because, like Cullen shows, playing at a competitive level shows when they come to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Love that video of Kenny with the crowd at the end. Can't describe how good it is to see that smile on his face. A special, special man with a grand plan. No Irish manager in my lifetime has faced such challenges, but the good times are coming - and boy does he deserve it. I want this to be our Michael O'Neill story so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He scored at home to Lithuania, he still has a lot of work to do to nail down a place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought Manning played well on the left. Lacked a little composure at times but I think he showed he is an option.

Whether he did enough to push out McClean is another story.

The Troy Parrott/Will Keane debate has been answered anyway and I thought Egan worked well with the 2 young lads in central defence. May need one or 2 of these guys as Coleman won't be up for multiple games in short periods of time.

I like Browne but he was so quiet in the first half that I only realised he was on the pitch in the second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do moments of joy bring you pain? They dominated the match from start to finish. It was frustrating at times but an earlier goal would have changed the game completely.

Team are getting used to results now. Goals are coming. It's a good picture. Try enjoy it.

I prefer an Irish King to a Scottish one.

I'd counter that even at that, he's probably done more than anyone bar Ogbene and Robinson (based on earlier performances, he was poor against Lithuania) to nail down a place.

I guess it depends on whether Knight is a attacker/winger or a central midfielder in the manager's thinking. Does appear to be the former at the moment.

• Advertisement

Some have been desperate to write off James McClean for years. He’s got 90 caps and still counting. Last night he came on after the hour mark and he wasn’t “really poor” at all.

Will Keane? That was his first start. He didn’t make a great impact but a bit early to be writing him off do you not think?

The results and performances are starting to gel without a doubt and Kenny deserves praise for this given the tough spell he encountered when he didnt look like he'd last. He has earned his new contract.

I wont be getting overly carried away though either. There are still some major issues but i dont think its down to Kenny as much as the quality of player at the moment.

Will Keane shouldnt be involved for us again. Hes 29 and just not good enough even though we have SFA in the way of a goal scorer. Ive said this before about him. Ryan Manning should be given a lot more minutes going forward as a replacement for McClean and Stevens.

Its possible to be happy with Kennys recent performance yet critical of elememts too. Thats fair enough.

No its not. Hes 29. Not 23 or 24. He isnt going to be good enough to make a difference whereas when Obafemi and Connolly are in there they will be better options.

McClean? Great servant to Irish football but other options should be considered now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

mcclean is actually as consistently reliable right now that he’s ever being. He’s still technically poor more often than he should.

keane was good vs Belgium, bad vs Lithuania. That’s how players normally are over their first 15 caps.

the future big attacking players for Ireland are Knight, Parrott and Ferguson as I see it. Ogbene possibly.

Didn’t realise Keane was 29, probably won’t make much impact but you never know. Players like McGoldrick arrived late on the scene and made a decent contribution over a short period of time.

Other options are being considered for James McClean but he’s still an option as first pick or one of the first subs coming off the bench after 90 caps.

would have being interesting to see obafemi’s ability vs Lithuania where he had to face a deep lying defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

That was absolutely dreadful stuff against a pub team but we got the job done in the end Parrott was brilliant for the minute he came on. Will Keane is a complete and utter donkey a poor mans Conor Sammon we can shake hands with him and send him back to England. Conor Hourihane is another one we can shake hands with pathetic again.

Overall of course that game doesn't matter a sh!te and Kenny has us in good form in the matches that do matter in the last while and we're going into Nations League and EURO qualifiers in good form and that's all that really matters. The only worry from last night really is how ineffective we were at breaking down a team who came to sit in any other minnow we play will do the same and we will struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Was absolutely delighted for Parrott that he got the winner and was a good hit too from him. While we do struggle to break teams down that sit in and park the bus we at least had the ball in the back of the net four times. So had the chances but just need to be more disciplined in staying onside.

Don't think Hendrick or Cullen need to worry about their places for some time. Browne and Hourihane were average in midfield together, though it's probably not surprising. Don't see what Hourihane brings to the team. He'll play a few passes when playing weaker opposition who stand off us but come competitive matches he'll be back to hiding behind players to avoid the ball.

Last night would have been tailer made for someone like Ronan. Whether he would have made a difference or not he is someone that will try pass through the lines more than the likes of Hourihane or Browne.

The standards are so high…punishment for a bad game: banishment forever more

To be fair dreadful stuff against a pub team is what teams have been saying vs us for years. Breaking down a team that sits back can be hard and we definitely struggle to do so without certain players.

Fairly successful international window I'd think took it to a really gold Belgium b side and a win vs a worse team sitting back.

I think the Portugal game woth the two late Ronaldo goals is our only loss in the last 12 months now there's been huge progression over that 12 months I think

• Advertisement

And neither will Stephen Kenny. There are some who never took to James for different reasons, maybe because he’s a very direct player that never had much finesse maybe to do with off field things? who knows?

He’s always been valued as an effective player by Ireland managers though and Stephen Kenny clearly values his contribution also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The criticism for McClean is bizarre, you'd swear that he was keeping the likes of a Kieran Tierney on the bench. The reality is that the options at left wing back are poor, you've got Manning, Scales, O' Dowda, and Stevens. O' Dowda and Stevens have spent so much time injured over the last year and have not featured for us. Scales has struggled to get games even though he looked ok when I've seen him. Manning has done well, but you certainly couldn't say that he is definitively a better player than McClean.

I'd be leaving McClean in the squad without a doubt but he'd be 2nd choice LWB at best. I just think he is more often than not poor. He does deliver a big occasions though which I wouldn't dispute. Manning and Bagan eventually needs to be tried there. I'm not having a dig at McClean but imo he is poor at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

I just think we don't have many other options. I really don't think Manning has done much to help his cause to get on the team. He had a few dodgy moments with bad passes. The overhit one to Doherty was completely unnecessary.

Ogbenne and Doherty seem to be working up a relationship on that RHS. That's great to see. I feel like the LWB just frustrates the left winger. Bad passes, poorly timed runs, and constantly looking to cross asap. Tbf Manning had some decent crosses.

Will Enda Stevens come back in?

Sure put four past a weak team ala Qatar last October and it's sure it's only a friendly against a weak team what's the fuss like. Labour to a 1-0 win against them and it's why are we struggling against these pub teams.

Knight, ogbene, Robinson, parrott starting to look like decent talent in the front 3 relative to a few years back also

I think center mid is our biggest issue right now were very reliant on cullen right now. Hopefully kilkenny kicks on a bit towards the summer

I mean we've been struggling against weak teams for years fortunately now we're not leaving everyone behind the ball agains inferior teams. We dominated possession yesterday but really struggled to break them down. Don't forget that was a rotated team for us also. As soon as some of the bench came on we looked a different side. It's no harm to have seen what guys like keane, manning, Collins etc can offer

We have draws against Portugal and Belgium in the last 12 months also and that one Portugal loss was due to two late Ronaldo goals we weren't a million miles from beating them.

Think he would have done alright. Ogbene's offside goal he might have kept himself onside if in that position and might have gave us an outlet for long balls into the corner to use his pace whereas you ain't getting that with Keane.

Hopefully sitting out this squad doesn't go against him as Kenny likes to see lads in camp before playing. Though hopefully we see an extended squad in June and have a few new faces in training. The U21s are playing two home games in June so get them all in training together.

We have and as I said earlier as much as we struggled to break them down at times we still had the ball in the net four times before the winner. Yeah they were ruled offside but we probably wouldn't even had four shots on target before never mind four goals ruled out for offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What's the situation with Ebosele? Rumours going around he's deleted all his photos of him in an Irish shirt. I don't know how to confirm. Is it true?

Yup all photos relating to Ireland have been taken off his Instagram. Think that's the online social media he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Ogbene has a brilliant attitude - gives us urgency in his play which is a breath of fresh air. That's also what Parrott offered us the minute he came on the pitch - plus his movement was WAY way better than Keane who didn't impress at all. Doherty still struggling with keeping up a consistency for a full 90 minutes so I'm hoping his recent positive games at Spurs continues and translates over.

Hourihane is just not up for it - even his set pieces were terrible, he has to be knocked down towards the bottom of the midfield pecking order now as we've seen enough from him. I'm happy with McClean as an option coming off the bench, prefer him playing a role in link up play and getting a cross in as opposed to him trying to beat the player in front which 90% of the time he ends up failing.

His Instagram name is festy.36, I can’t find it anymore. So I’m confused.

Ok once I login, it disappears. Odd, maybe he’s blocked me lol.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too concerned about Festy. I'd imagine there is another explanation for it.

I’d imagine he’s acting the bloody child about something. Hard to explain how you lift any reference to Ireland from your Instagram otherwise. Hopefully he comes around.

It's possible that he sees himself more of a senior international now too!! Ah no. We'd need to wait to hear something from him first on it. We will probably only find out when the next u21 squad is announced if he accepts or picks up a "knock".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Every Ireland team that's ever played Lithuania in the past, bar 1, has gotten that result. You can't just make stuff up.

Manning was tried there last night. In my opinion McClean makes a good contribution more often than not and the fact that he has continued to be picked by several managers would back up that view I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement