Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I do agree with that podge, really but there is still an immediate and pressing problem of lack of capacity that still hasn't been sorted and 5000 offsick at anytime is a crisis !

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I just want this to be over... No masks, no restrictions, no threats of restrictions, no hysterics, nothing, just quietness.

Come Friday, all going well when the laws expire, we'll legally be back to normal, and that's all I care about.

I don't care who said what, or how good / bad any minister is, once they don't cave in before Thursday night / Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Why do you keep pretending the INMO were not pushing for a mask mandate?

Their press releases fed Claire Byrne et al's agenda and gave it momentum.

"We are not in a space in which our health service can cope with 570 patients on trolleys coupled with such high numbers of patients in our hospitals with COVID.

"The Government must now revisit their decision on mask-wearing in indoor and crowded settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

At the start and most the way through this pandemic I have accepted most the restrictions and agreed with them. I still wear a mask at work and while in shops.

However I cant really see how bringing back restrictions now is going to help the situation at all. Stephen Donelly is spot on IMO, unless we do a full hard lock down again this virus is just going to keep spreading, and then where does this all end? Ive no problem myself in wearing a mask but I do wonder now is it just for optics?

The virus just seems to be spreading, peaking and then dying down a bit then rinse and repeat again a few weeks later.

Unfortunately this is having a huge toll on the health sector, but I really dont think a few restrictions will make much difference at this stage. Although im not really sure what the solution to this is going to be for the future. Yes the health sector needs overhauled and investment but with this war and inflation the way it is where is the money going to come from to do this?

They can find money for other things they surely have to find money or do something radical to sort the healthservice.

The maskwearing request in congested indoor settings is only for this present surge.

After that people need to remember that it was having a weak health service that got us into continuous restrictions ( along with a cautious public health and government!) in the first place .

With Stephen Donnelly at the helm I very much doubt that anything radical will be even attempted before next winter season .

I would be happy to be proven wrong ...🙄

• Advertisement

Not pretending anything ......Where does that say " mask mandate " ?

Money isn't the problem with the health service. People and culture is. There's no point throwing more money at it. The money will just disappear.

Frontline workers are exempt from these criticisms.

Its more the HSE the problem there than the healthservice , iykwim ?

Less of an issue with the old style health boards as there was a smaller and more defined path of accountability...although cronyism was more of an issue with them.

This is why Slaintecare is being pushed for by those frontline and community HCWs. More defined areas of responsibility with clearer accountability and hopefully less management ,more workers .

But this government aren't in favour and have stood in the way of its development so far despite having signed up to bringing it in.

Now why would defined areas of responsibility and clearer accountability be an issue, I wonder ?

Or a single tier health system for everyone in the country?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/give-me-a-crash-course-in-the-sl%C3%A1intecare-debacle-1.4695104

• Registered Users Posts: 9 23h4589j1234

Me to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Whats the story with restrictions? Could they be reimposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I am not pro restrictions and indeed have led a fairly normal life over the last few months - travelled in Europe and hoping to get back travelling beyond the EU. hoping also that more countries will relax restrictions.

But, will we get new generation vaccines next Autumn and will the HSE be organised for administering these vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Which they can demand if they choose but it has all the influence of a random submission to a Dail committee, in short none. The replacement for NPHET will follow along the same lines on COVID, adopting a position of public health risk management. At this stage of COVID's evolution that is on par with flu' and it will not be influenced by a quasi-emergency committee within the HSE. The current problem is in the HSE and proposing measures that extend well into the public domain is nowhere in their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's not looking like it now based on what they're saying

Imposing mask wearing for a while would be a drop in the ocean so seems hardly worth doing anything as severe restrictions have been ruled out

They should be and vaccination programmes are something that the HSE does very well. Flu' shots will usually begin in September and you'd expect COVID vaccines to be done in tandem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What I don't understand is that some of these groups criticism of the government is well wide of the mark. Our lot have been extremely conservative throughout this entire thing. They now know that it's done and there's no point small piecemeal measures. You'd also have to be living under a rock for the past 2 years to suggest that people need to be given the message to wear masks if they want and get a vaccine/booster. It's been pretty much wall to wall on all media for well over a year now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Where will you go from Friday since this forum will have no real need anymore unless it converts to a flu and covid forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

??

It's discussion here about COVID. What's happening on Friday, is COVID gonna disappear or something?

Flu and COVID are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Ireland would appear to have higher than average Covid figures since around Sept 2020 compared to the rest of Europe. I suspect at present, they are astronomically high with I suspect 50%+ of the population having been infected at this stage.

I really think figures will drop like a stone at some stage over the next month or so. There is nowhere for the virus to go at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The one thing in the back of my mind is the UK in Summer 2021 when they dropped all restrictions with delta flying around the place. They said they would get an exit wave and be done with it. They didn't, it stayed stubbornly high and never REALLY tailed off to zero.

I think COVID just keeps circulating, and the idea of a meaningfully defined "exit wave" doesn't exist. We just have to get used to very high numbers of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

of course it's called an endemic virus.

Some people have been saying this for years.

In due course we will stop testing asymptomatic people and these so-called huge numbers will fall away. Doing away with free testing will also adjust the data downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

People can get reinfected, so the virus has loads of opportunity to keep going round and round.

Therefore making restrictions and masks pointless.

If you don't call a halt to them now, when do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It doesn't make masks pointless. If you're sick, wear a mask. Had people coming into work last week with mild symptoms and self diagnosis, no mask and now out with covid. More and more people are falling ill this week as well.

It's well north of 50%. I'd be surprised if it was much less than 75% by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder how many of those in hospital would not nother there hole going to hospital if there tests where negative,

Like if the doctor said its not covid just a bad flu would they just stick it out at home & is it the fact the word CoVid is used makes them think oh no i better get myself to hospital,

Surprised there hasn't been more direct action from government and messaging on hospitals on the crisis

Nothing but the HSE calling for masks as if that's going to solve it

6000 off work I'm reading , I'd be talking having bouncers at the doors and No-one gets in unless absolutely necessary

Deal with this crisis and not this window dressing of masks

When you say "nose hanging out", you mean my entire face, right?

I wasn't in that room, by the way, I'm still covid free after two years of pointless restrictions, and I've not been dodging it.

Anyway, it'll all be legally back to normal on Friday, masks outside of work become a piece of history then.

• Advertisement

The HSE issue is a joke as masks and money won't fix it

Government could say send in teams of troubleshooters to every hospital in the country to do what they can right now

Wouldn't work as you'd have consultants and unions up in arms and boycotting it immediately .That's just a theoretical example not specifically advocating that move

Advertisement