Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point in this

Options
  • 30-03-2022 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

spotted this on a walk the other day on a farm near where i live. Whats the point in doubling the cables

(what appears to be 2.5 or 4mm) if you're just going to reduce it to 2.5 twin🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Doubling up can reduce voltage drop or increase the capacity of the cable you double up if it's a smaller wire

It's called paralleling , there's rules on it but don't think they apply to leads

Wouldn't want any kids playing on that farm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I think the OP's point is that the doubling up advantage is somewhat mitigated by the subsequent single wire connection. (Assuming the individual wires are all the same cross sectional area.)

The doubling up will still help a little. Also, maybe there were further single wire connections planned from that centre junction, in which case it would make sense to use double size wiring back to source.

Very poor safety there, even if it were indoors, never mind outdoors.

Ya not saying there's any advantage there was just explaining it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 long-term67

me neither, from what i understand about the situation, the owner died almost 20 years ago and the Son won't take over the farm as his wife has been ill for some time and he wont let the farm be used for fair deal. you should see the rest of it, its the stuff of nightmares

• Advertisement
Advertisement